Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Why Ferrari Dealearships are D**ks?

Guys.. Have you ever been to a Ferrari dealership? Be it in the US, Europe, or even here in the Middle East, why does everyone who works there thinks he/she is a hot sh*t?

I mean from the receptionist who thinks she is Maddona but in reality can't afford the lug nut on a car, to the salesperson who thinks he is Tom Cruise but can't afford the wheel on a Ferrari, to the sales manager, who could probably afford a wheel and a tire but that's about it!

I went today with a friend of mine who wanted to buy the new F430 to a Ferrari dealer. This guy with 1 of his credit cards and without breaking a sweat could easily buy the MC12 that was sitting on their showroom collecting dust. Yet the salesperson before we even ask a single question and without looking at us in the eye told us that the price is $200k and there is a 3 yrs waiting list!!!! That's it.. He even turned around and proceeded to go back to his desk.

As we walked back to my car, I could see that same salesperson noticing my GT and he came back running out of the showroom. By then I was already inside the car with the doors closed. He tried to knock on the window to get my attention but I waived the tip of my fingers as saying f**k off to him and I drove away.

Re: Why Ferrari Dealearships are D**ks?

"money walks, bull$hit talks..."

Quote:
    ha said:
    As we walked back to my car, I could see that same salesperson noticing my GT and he came back running out of the showroom. By then I was already inside the car with the doors closed. He tried to knock on the window to get my attention but I waived the tip of my fingers as saying to him to f**k off and I drove away.

HAHAHAHA!! I love the ending It's true ha, same thing with my Ferrari dealer, always this BS about waiting list etc. and then they immediately go back to their desk. when i drove past leaving in my continental GT they were quick to give me a call lol!!!

but i want the car and they are the only dealer in the country so i have to go through them

Man, that ending is awesome. If more of that happens, maybe they'll learn to be nicer people. At the Ferrari dealership, nobody talked to me, my dad, or my friend, except one nice lady said hi, and if she could help me with anything, but other than that, nobody even looked at me.

Nice going ha driving off was the most dignified thing to do. That sort of crap really pisses me off.
    Next step would be to see if you or your friend, knows a close friend of the dealership's owner and have him fill him in on the story and who the salesman was, then come visit another day once the saleman was "breifed" by the boss and make that salesman work and sweat at little so he learns his lesson to treat all people with respect and education...

I had a similar encounter the first time I walked into a Porsche dealership, I don't behave like a snob around salesmen, nor do I dress to look my net worth, so the salesman behaved like he was doing me a favor and was not taking me seriously either. Needless to say he lost a sale but also now, years down the line, I get along very well with all the other emplyees, and with his boss whom I'm friends with, yet that salesman gets ignored by me when I'm there, I speak to everyone but I treat him like he doesn't exist. Next time a young guy comes in, he will treal all people with respect and equally from the very first day, not until they check out their bank account.

Here there a tons of new F430's for INMEDIATE delivery avalilable in multi-brand dealerships for a bit over MSRP but nothing excessive for someone who can afford that car anyway. You can even get an new Enzo or SLR in these type dealerships if you want. I don't know if you have these types of dealerships there but they ussually deliver much sooner than the offcial dealer if not inemdiately or are experts at finding anything you want. As an example, these dealerships sold just as many Cayennes in Spain as the official Porsche importer/dealerships and in shorter delivery times.

I was just thinking about this a few days ago. I've noticed the same thing with most of the Ferrari dealerships I've been to.
    The cars are amazing, but it would be difficult for me to buy anything from people who act like they do.
    I was so happy to hear what you did ha, that must have made the salesman look and feel so stupid, which he probably was.

Don't brand all dealerships with an arrogant attitiude. I would wager the majority are good and decent businesses and are sensitive to customers regardless of their wealth.

To be sure there are some bad ones but who among you can say that are no bad Poraches dealers?

Here is a hint for those of you wanting a 430. Do not walk into a dealership and say you want to order one. Anyone who has the financial resources would know there is a huge waiting list particularly in the US. You might ask what is the best way for me to get a 430? At that point, a process can begin and hopefully result in you getting one.

Quote:
    nberry said:You might ask what is the best way for me to get a 430? At that point, a process can begin and hopefully result in you getting one.

Yeah, thats process in the US is to drop your pants, loose your dignity, and bend over please ... some people may feel they should not have put up with any crap nor play the "Ferrari dealer's game" of: buy from me a used Ferrari from the lot at above MSRP and then we will start to talk about you getting on the list, and once you get the car you treat it like a garage queen for me so I can resell it to the next guy above MSRP for my profit...

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Yeah, thats process in the US is to drop your pants, loose your dignity, and bend over please

hahaha, i completely agree

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Don't brand all dealerships with an arrogant attitiude. I would wager the majority are good and decent businesses and are sensitive to customers regardless of their wealth.

Its a fact Nick whether you like it or not. The vast majority of Ferrari dealerships worldwide are arrogant SOBs and I stand by my word as being d**ks.

This is the attitude of Ferrari itself. When introducing their F40, F50, and Enzo they wanted potential buyers to submit their resumes to see if they are "worthy" of their cars. Only to have dealerships call people back a year later and beg them to come and buy it even if they were pimps.

And that to me is a crock of s**t.

Now I agree with you that there are bad Porsche dealers here and there but not the majority.

I go into FoLI all the time. They ALWAYS let me look around, and never bother me. They simply say hello, and say to let them know if I need any help.

Quote:
    BluCamSS said:
    I go into FoLI all the time. They ALWAYS let me look around, and never bother me. They simply say hello, and say to let them know if I need any help.

That is precisely what I'm saying. A "hello" seems like a big deal at Ferrari.

Quote:
    ha said:
    Quote:
    BluCamSS said:

That is precisely what I'm saying. A "hello" seems like a big deal at Ferrari.

I understand we all have sensitive egos, but, lets be reasonable. If you worked at a Ferrari dealership yourself you'd know that 95% of all the people who stop in are nothing more than a "tirekicker" and, therefore, it gets to be pretty annoying to be answering frivolous questions all day long. After a while you'd probably have the same attitude too...regardless of where you work.

But, the guy at least made an attempt to help you out when he realized you or your friend were seriously interested. For you to cop an attitude after that is unjustifiable IMO. Afterall, it is your lost.

If 95% of the people are tirekickers, then thats part of the job. Thats doens't justify that "attitute" towards anybody who walks in, he should find out if he is a serious customer or not in a polite educated respectful manner, period. Its called good manners and etiquette and applies to all professions.

The guy running out after he saw the CarreraGT was just hilarious ... too late!...

Quote:
    ha said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Its a fact Nick whether you like it or not. The vast majority of Ferrari dealerships worldwide are arrogant SOBs and I stand by my word as being d**ks.

This is the attitude of Ferrari itself. When introducing their F40, F50, and Enzo they wanted potential buyers to submit their resumes to see if they are "worthy" of their cars. Only to have dealerships call people back a year later and beg them to come and buy it even if they were pimps.

Now I agree with you that there are bad Porsche dealers here and there but not the majority.

Ha you are generalizing. However I understand your frustration. But again I suggest your approach may have been somewhat too assuming. BTW, the fact you own a CGT doesn't mean squat to a Ferrari dealer in the US. They have limited cars with too many buyers. You could walk in with $250,000 cash and they would not be able to give you a car.

Also your comments regarding submitting resumes is not true. The Enzo was a very limited production car and therefore buyers were screened based on prior Ferrari purchases. That is the way it should be.

Carlos, if people do not wish to participate in the process (however you wish to characterize it) they could buy a new Porsche including a CGT at a discount and get immediate delivery.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    If 95% of the people are tirekickers, then thats part of the job. Thats doens't justify that "attitute" towards anybody who walks in, he should find out if he is a serious customer or not in a polite educated respectful manner, period. Its called good manners and etiquette and applies to all professions.

The guy running out after he saw the CarreraGT was just hilarious ... too late!...

I can always count on you to find an angle to spin anything, but, as I said: regardless of where you work or what you do...if you had to put up with the same sh*t day in and day out. You'd develope a bit of and attitude, too.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Carlos, if people do not wish to participate in the process (however you wish to characterize it) they could buy a new Porsche including a CGT at a discount and get immediate delivery.

Well, like I said above, over here there are F430's too for inmediate delivery for those that have a problem with dropping their pants and bending over in front of a salesman for a car. You pay a bit extra but thats reasonable for jumping the wating line.

Guess I'm lucky. The owner of my local F dealership is a racer. The service manager used to be crew chief of a race team. The sales manager - now, there's a job that doesn't earn you a lot of friends - always has a story to tell, I believe he used to be the lead singer of, and manage, a band. I kart with several of the sales guys. I know most of the techs by their first names and always walk through the shop to see what they're doing and catch up with them. The lady who handles the finance and paperwork is friendly, professional, just terrific. Neither of the two receptionists thinks she is Madonna; both are friendly. The dealership cosponsors FOUR track events a year.

This F dealership is the best dealership of any kind I've ever dealt with. Yes, there's an underlying business relationship, but there's a lot more as well. I've never known them to treat anyone shabbily. Like I said, guess I'm lucky.

some saleman sales by the love of cars!

but some by the label or brand slave!

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:

That's so true. It's part of their job. As for ferrari dealers, I doubt that many people just go inside to take a look and touch the car. They've got such a reputation and prices are so out of reach for normal people that people don't even dare to go inside.

I went to 2 porsche dealers in belgium. In one dealer, they looked at me (i'm young) like I did not belong there, with that air of superiority or something. The other one was frindly like a Fiat dealer. I think it just depends on the people who work there. You can find @ss holes in any dealer, no matter what kind of car they're selling.

Never went in a ferrari dealer tho.

Quote:
    But, the guy at least made an attempt to help you out when he realized you or your friend were seriously interested. For you to cop an attitude after that is unjustifiable IMO. Afterall, it is your lost.

No its not my lost.. I assure you its not. I was never interested in Ferraris to begin with. And as for what you said about the salesman's attempt to help us out, well it came a bit too little and a bit too late. I didn't cop an attitude, I simply gave him a taste of his own medicine.
    What if I was driving some of my other cheaper cars? Do you think he would've came out running like a puppy?

This moron could've talked my friend into some of his other Ferraris and Masiratis that were collecting dust on his showroom but he choose to do so after he saw my GT.

Well, I found Ferrari of Orange County (south of L.A.) to be very courteous, and not stuffy at all. Receptionist had very nice legs, as well, didn't enquire about her lug nut buying.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    ha said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Ha you are generalizing. However I understand your frustration. But again I suggest your approach may have been somewhat too assuming. BTW, the fact you own a CGT doesn't mean squat to a Ferrari dealer in the US. They have limited cars with too many buyers. You could walk in with $250,000 cash and they would not be able to give you a car.

Also your comments regarding submitting resumes is not true. The Enzo was a very limited production car and therefore buyers were screened based on prior Ferrari purchases. That is the way it should be.

Nick, who told you that I would be using my CGT in the US to show off and jump the holy "waiting list" of Ferrari? And who was talking about walking into a Ferrari dealer with $250k or even a $1 mln trying to buy his way up the "waiting list". I was trying to simply show the difference in attitude between my very humble friend whos family is worth billions as appose to a Ferrari salesman whos probably still paying installments on his suit.

And BTW, in "screening" their customers Ferrari has asked their dealer network to submit a very detailed description of the potential Enzo buyers that looked pretty much like a resume. They did the same back in the '80s when your 1,300 "limited production" F40s were introduced.

Quote:
    ha said:
    Guys.. Have you ever been to a Ferrari dealership? Be it in the US, Europe, or even here in the Middle East, why does everyone who works there thinks he/she is a hot sh*t?

I mean from the receptionist who thinks she is Maddona but in reality can't afford the lug nut on a car, to the salesperson who thinks he is Tom Cruise but can't afford the wheel on a Ferrari, to the sales manager, who could probably afford a wheel and a tire but that's about it!

I went today with a friend of mine who wanted to buy the new F430 to a Ferrari dealer. This guy with 1 of his credit cards and without breaking a sweat could easily buy the MC12 that was sitting on their showroom collecting dust. Yet the salesperson before we even ask a single question and without looking at us in the eye told us that the price is $200k and there is a 3 yrs waiting list!!!! That's it.. He even turned around and proceeded to go back to his desk.

As we walked back to my car, I could see that same salesperson noticing my GT and he came back running out of the showroom. By then I was already inside the car with the doors closed. He tried to knock on the window to get my attention but I waived the tip of my fingers as saying f**k off to him and I drove away.

You are absolutely right. I have noticed that in Ferrari of Houston too only one sales guy and always on the phone when you walk in, never says hi or bye, rude .

Velvet ropes at F dealers never struck me as particularly difficult to figure out....if new, get intro'd to the dealer owner/mgr by a high-vol customer; if local dealer is incompetent, get a broker to get you a new car/use a dealer near one of your other houses/develop relationships at the parent distributor/corporate level...kinda simple stuff, right?

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Velvet ropes at F dealers never struck me as particularly difficult to figure out....if new, get intro'd to the dealer owner/mgr by a high-vol customer; if local dealer is incompetent, get a broker to get you a new car/use a dealer near one of your other houses/develop relationships at the parent distributor/corporate level...kinda simple stuff, right?

My brother-in-law knows the owner (they're both Italian) and he has owned a few Ferraris too. One time I was there with him and talking to the owner, a super nice guy Mr. Rissi, but the sales guy was still acting as if he is the owner of the dealership, real cold and stuck up .

Ha, you stated in your first post that as soon as the salesman saw you drove a CGT his attitude changed. MY point is that it would make no difference in the US what you drove or how much money you have. I meant nothing personal by the comment.

The deciding factor is whether you have a business relationship with the dealership.

It's not just Ferrari Dealerships.. it's every luxury car dealership. I remember when I was looking for my first bmw and my father was ABOUT to purchase the car at the first dealership in Delaware--- and the owner/manager of the dealership completely was a slimeball... before my father and I had an opportunity to talk it over- the guy asked "so are you going to buy the car?"... my father said, we have to talk it over... then the guy proceeded to say, "what is there to talk about?... " I mean!? WHAT?!.... get out of here.. at that point my father laughed and then we left the dealership- one lost sale on a car that was basically about to be purchased.

So far as Ferrari and Bentley/lambo/aston dealerships... I really don't care- young people rarely have the money to purchase cars like that- so the second I walk in there I either have to look like a celeb or something in order to be taken seriously... but I don't do any of that. I walked in with a pair of shorts, a rugby shirt, and boat shoes... they did a credit check and then it was go time- that is the bottom line. I am not there to make friends or to be nice, I'm there to buy a car- treat me right, I will buy a car and be back for another and another- treat me wrong and I will get another dealership to get the car from.
    The only people that have been cool have been the people at the local porsche dealership... when I inquired about the Carrera GT a salesperson took me SERIOUSLY and didn't play around- no jokes about age.. no jokes about "that's a lot of car"... no bullsh*t... just the facts and what I could do to get into it- that's how you sale a car.

There is one normal Ferrari dealership and that is Ron Tonkin in Portland, Oregon. They are not stuck up at all.

Have not noticed this as much in the UK.... The Ferrari dealer I dealt with was courteous and generally very friendy, even though I turned up in a pair of shorts and T-shirt......and I am quite young... ie. < 30... Asked for test drive and allowed to drive a few of the cars they had on display....maybe I was lucky...

But I think this is individual saleman being a D**K rather than certain dealerships as I experienced similar problems as that noted by ha in an AUDI dealer a few years back... the snobbery was astounding and amazed me...I thought the customer was "king"..... needless to say I have now been put off buying an Audi and ended up buying a Boxster as the Porsche dealer was more friendy... Dealers need to understand never to judge people by just looking at or more specifically looking down at customers. They need or should treat everyone with manners....they will never really know who are genuenine and who are timewasters and therefore should treat everyone the same....remember it is their loss at the end of the day, and not ours, as we will just go to another dealer who is willing to treat us the way we demand to be treated... we are afterall keeping them in their jobs...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690515 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409771 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256030 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235280 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65650 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858447 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774732 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM