Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 996 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

RUF Mod. of 996TS

For all turbophiles,

Any experience with or opinion of the RUF conversions available for the 996TT/TS?

I am leaning towards using EVO's package for an upgrade of my TSCab-maybe this winter. I was doing some internet browsing and hopped on to the RUF-USA site, based in Texas. They offer 996TT conversions for power claims of 460-590bhp, depending on package. For their "top" mod., the car is shipped to Pfaffenhausen, Germany for re-building of the engine-but for >$69,000US ( ). For their 520 and 550bhp conversions, both are done at their Texas, USA location, with a change of turbo's from the K24's to their own item, control unit mod. (engine flashing), RUF intake manifold, sport air filter, RUF exhaust and reinforced clutch. They advertise power/torque gains of:
    RUF Turbo 520 PS: 520bhp@6,000rpm/740Nm@3,500rpm;
    RUF Turbo 550 PS: 550bhp@6,000rpm/780Nm@4,000rpm.

The dyno graphs seem to show a decent torque shift to the left for maximal output between 3,000-3,500rpm, minimizing T-lag. That could suggest a beast of an acceleration machine. Any knowledge of RUF's hardware (their turbocharger, intake manifold, exhaust) and software (their engine flash program) products? For my TSCab, they quoted a package price of $25,950 plus shipping for the 520, $27,950 plus shipping for the 550. EVO's prices are about half of RUF's for similar power/torque # claims, although RUF uses their own tubocharger mod. I wonder if there is a significant difference in products between RUF and EVO.

Any comments?

Re: RUF Mod. of 996TS

Al, Go with the EVO package (700). Although...do you really need it? Stage II would suffice.

RUF is a proven, class act. They are expensive, but then again, they have proven over and over that they can build faster, streetable cars out of what are already some of the fastest and most well engineered cars in the world. Ruf builds cars, EVO is an aftermarket "tuner." If I had the money and had the choice, I wouldn't even think twice. BTW, I've driven their Boxter 3.4 conversion, and was duly impressed. It's kinda like picking a plastic surgeon. You can spend the money and get it done right the first time, or you can save a few shekels and be very dissapointed. Just my $.02

Dan Blumenthal

Hummmm. RUF is also an "after market tuner". Dan, you are right...RUF does make awesome stuff. You can check out AWE, ORTON, Imagineauto, EVOMS. What you want is an after market tuner...I think. You do not want a new RUF. I don't think these others are necessarily cheap or of poor quality. Check out:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/showt...;threadid=31459

or do a search on rennlist or 6speedonline. Lots to choose from. If you really want to change the turbos (not sure why...isn't that why you got the S), try Kevins.

Quote:
    Statman said:
    Hummmm. RUF is also an "after market tuner". Dan, you are right...RUF does make awesome stuff. You can check out AWE, ORTON, Imagineauto, EVOMS. What you want is an after market tuner...I think. You do not want a new RUF. I don't think these others are necessarily cheap or of poor quality. Check out:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/showt...;threadid=31459

or do a search on rennlist or 6speedonline. Lots to choose from. If you really want to change the turbos (not sure why...isn't that why you got the S), try Kevins.

ummmm...
    RUF is classified as a car manufacturer, not as a tuner

Statman-

True enough, RUF has positioned themselves as an aftermarket tuner here in the US, but they were first and foremost a manufacturer or motorcars in Germany. They buy Porsche tubs in Germany and put their own VIN numbers on the cars. They develop their own components much as an auto manufacurer would. I am not knocking any particular aftermarket tuner, but I am just trying to make the point that RUF is the gold standard. I agree with you that what is needed is not a a RUF "car," but an aftermarket tuning job that is as streetable as it gets, since the car in point is a convertible (right?). RUF has a history of understating their power claims, which to me is classy. After all, the Yellowbird was claimed to have something like 368 hp (off the top of my head) or so and was clocked at a mindnumbing 212 mph!

Dan Blumenthal

RUF - there is no substitude. Check the archieves of www.stuttgartnines.co.uk where one of the guys had his GT2 "enhanced" by RUF. No doubt there are cheaper options but you get what you pay for.

Quote:
    ummmm...

9ff (a Porsche Tuner) was recently classified as a cas manufacturer also. What Al wants is a tuner...he already has a 996TTS.

Quote:
    Statman said:
    Quote:
    ummmm...

9ff (a Porsche Tuner) was recently classified as a cas manufacturer also. What Al wants is a tuner...he already has a 996TTS.

The Ruf 550 engine conversion is roughly similar to the Stage 4 package from EVO, while the 590 NARDO package is similar to the GT700 by EVO. It has to be pointed out though that Ruf has a lot of reputation and that could come into play when selling the car.

Thanks guys,

Indeed, I have a 2005 TSCab, so I only need to tune it, not "manufacture" it, and even the stock vehicle, driven "conservatively" during break-in, completely ROCKS! I am comparing the RUF 550 package to the EVO 600 (stage 4) package, and I believe one reason for the price differential (about $10-12K + labor for EVO vs. about $28K for RUF) is the new turbos for RUF, whereas EVO doesn't touch the K24's.

I have been leaning towards the EVO package partly because I am not sure if it is worth the extra price for the RUF turbo change, and I have the sense from multiple sources that both RUF and EVO are reputable.

RUF indeed is both a tuner AND a manufacturer (they advertise both their 996TT "conversions" and "rebuilds" on their website), and I am aware of their generic reputation, but I wondered if anyone had specific knowledge of/experience with their mods., particularly the turbo mod. and their reliability. That 700+Nm torque spec. suggests I might need to replace the clutch more oftem than I would need to change the oil.

More comments re. both EVO and RUF are appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Indeed, I have a 2005 TSCab, so I only need to tune it, not "manufacture" it, and even the stock vehicle, driven "conservatively" during break-in, completely ROCKS! I am comparing the RUF 550 package to the EVO 600 (stage 4) package, and I believe one reason for the price differential (about $10-12K + labor for EVO vs. about $28K for RUF) is the new turbos for RUF, whereas EVO doesn't touch the K24's.

I have been leaning towards the EVO package partly because I am not sure if it is worth the extra price for the RUF turbo change, and I have the sense from multiple sources that both RUF and EVO are reputable.

RUF indeed is both a tuner AND a manufacturer (they advertise both their 996TT "conversions" and "rebuilds" on their website), and I am aware of their generic reputation, but I wondered if anyone had specific knowledge of/experience with their mods., particularly the turbo mod. and their reliability. That 700+Nm torque spec. suggests I might need to replace the clutch more oftem than I would need to change the oil.

More comments re. both EVO and RUF are appreciated.

I had my GT2 upgraded to the Ruf 550 package and it was very quick. It has subsequently been upgraded to the 590 package and it is now very very quick.

As for Ruf vs Evo, both have great reputations for their products and also service. Ruf are clearly more expensive.

Part of the Ruf decision is to buy into the Ruf legend, their backup and the 'name brand value'.

They have looked after me awesomely well in every way, every day since purchase.

My car regularly exceeds 200mph, so I know I need reliability in every situation. My only uncertainty for any US tuner is whether they have this reliability, since there is less use of sustained high speeds in the US ( ie 160mph+). That said it may not be a concern or issue in your case - I don't know.

Ruf power is always understated by the way, sometimes by over 40bhp, it varies by engine.

Guy

Quote:
    Guy said:
    I had my GT2 upgraded to the Ruf 550 package and it was very quick. It has subsequently been upgraded to the 590 package and it is now very very quick.

As for Ruf vs Evo, both have great reputations for their products and also service. Ruf are clearly more expensive.

Part of the Ruf decision is to buy into the Ruf legend, their backup and the 'name brand value'.

They have looked after me awesomely well in every way, every day since purchase.

My car regularly exceeds 200mph, so I know I need reliability in every situation. My only uncertainty for any US tuner is whether they have this reliability, since there is less use of sustained high speeds in the US ( ie 160mph+). That said it may not be a concern or issue in your case - I don't know.

Ruf power is always understated by the way, sometimes by over 40bhp, it varies by engine.

Guy

Thanks, man,

Have you ever had your car timed 0-60mph/0-62mph, 0-100mph, quarter mile, 0-100-0? The RUF-USA folks are in Texas. They do the mods. up to 550, but ship the car to Germany for the 590. I think 550 would be my limit of need-I suppose it's hard to justify the word "need," want/relish/desire/long for are probably more accurate. . . .

No and to be honest much of any data resulting from 0-60 or quarter-mile is down to the driver skill or surface. The seat-of-the pants dyno said it felt quick at 550 and factory smooth. The fact they have done hundreds of these conversions over the world speaks volumes i.e. it's a known, well researched package and works well.

The 590 is a lot more money for a lot more work on the engine (more than most people know about) and is less easy to justify in extra bhp/extra $.

There are some people on Rennlist and 6Speedonline who have had the 550 conversion done in the US who would have valuable opinions to add. I'm lucky I drove my car to Ruf in Germany and then had lunch with Alois and Estonia Ruf.....

Guy

Guy

Al-

I just found an old article on the RUF R Turbo in the 10-01 issue of Excellence Magazine. It is based on a narrow body car and is only rwd, but the motor is is rated at 520 hp, and sounds basically the same as the mods they would do on you car. The top speed of the 3250 lb. R Turbo is 212 mph.

Dan

Thanks,

I'll do some Google and Barnes and Noble searching this weekend. I posted a query on 6speedonline, but haven't gotten any responses yet.

Member RC did some modifications on his former 996TT, you might shoot him a PM.

He did the modifications at RS-Tuning in Germany, not sure if they ship components / have representatives in the US. He might give you some comments on certain tuners/manufacturers.

Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    Member RC did some modifications on his former 996TT, you might shoot him a PM.

He did the modifications at RS-Tuning in Germany, not sure if they ship components / have representatives in the US. He might give you some comments on certain tuners/manufacturers.

RC had the 542 bhp package by RS-Tuning. The GT2 tested with this package did 10.7 seconds to 200 km/h with a top speed of 330 km/h. I'm willing to bet the Turbo is close to those numbers. However, in the thread starter's situation I'd suggest he goes with the Ruf 550 package. The Evo Stage 4 package has been known to occasionally cause glitches such as the CEL and bigger oil consumption, but it is a lot cheaper.

Thanks Ferdie and Crash,

I am aware of CEL and oil issues with EVO's stage 4 package-I have heard there is perhaps some connection with their V-flow induction system, as well. I wouldn't mind a little extra oil burning, just so long as there isn't associated clutch burning.

RUF here in the US (near Dallas, Texas, I believe) is a legitimate set-up (I think there's also a RUF in western Canada, in Vancouver, British Columbia). Their 550 package looks good on paper. I'd like to get some detailed info. on their components (particularly their turbos since they change the stock K24's, whereas EVO sticks with the stock for their stage 4) and any reliability concerns. Of course their general rep. is high.

Quote:
    Al Pettee said:
    Thanks Ferdie and Crash,

I am aware of CEL and oil issues with EVO's stage 4 package-I have heard there is perhaps some connection with their V-flow induction system, as well. I wouldn't mind a little extra oil burning, just so long as there isn't associated clutch burning.

RUF here in the US (near Dallas, Texas, I believe) is a legitimate set-up (I think there's also a RUF in western Canada, in Vancouver, British Columbia). Their 550 package looks good on paper. I'd like to get some detailed info. on their components (particularly their turbos since they change the stock K24's, whereas EVO sticks with the stock for their stage 4) and any reliability concerns. Of course their general rep. is high.

Yes, there is a Ruf reseller in western Canada, called Weissach, run by Asgar Virji. Both the Dallas and the Vancouver outfits have a reputation for excellent customer service and the guys in Dallas in particular are cheaper for out-of-warrany work on Porsches than dealers and they get the job done quicker. If you want some details on the Ruf 550 package, hop on to the Ruf USA site and open the 996 catalogue. It has to be said however that the horsepower and the torque stated there are nowhere close to reality. Turbos equipped with the 550 package easily outrun SL65s. Ruf reworks the turbochargers for minimum lag and all the 550 owners are reporting better than stock drivability. There are no reliability concerns with Ruf as they make good for their prices and reputation and keep the car trouble-free. In case there actually was anything wrong with your car, they'll fly a mechanic over to fix it. That's what the higher price gets you. The Stage 4 is cheaper, but you may end up with unnecessary hassles, while the Ruf 550 is more expensive, but you will never have trouble with it. Also, come resale time, the brand Ruf mentioned under mods will probably bring you a few extra grand, compared to the EVO brand.

I prefere RUF than EVO ... the Quaility , the experience , the name . all of these factors are beside RUF .

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    759792 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    433862 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259773 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256927 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80612 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5308 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870768 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    805820 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM