Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Only 3 weeks to go, then this...

Due to pick up the car on 1st September. Went out with a friend yesterday in a dune buggy, he drove like a nutter, bounced it then rolled it, my arm and leg got trapped. Broken arm below the shoulder, cracked ribs (from the harness clip) and messed up right foot. Can't drive for 6 weeks, possibly longer cos they may have to operate on the ball joint of my shoulder. I suppose I'll have to get someone to pick the car up for me and then just look at it on the drive for a few weeks! Man that's going to be annoying!
    Can't complain too much though, I wasn't wearing a lid so it could've been much worse. Do you think I'd have much trouble finding a kind volunteer to pick up the car and run it in for me?

br d

Re: Only 3 weeks to go, then this...

You saw las week's Top Gear and decided to do some testing youself, eh?

Wear a helmet, your family needs you.

Matt

br d, sorry to hear that, but you were lucky for not wearing a helmet. But admit sometimes we just don't think of the consecuences, with my experience and I didn't wear a helmet nor back-brace yesterday when I was with the SportQuad (the same one Jeremy Clarkson was "tying" to ride in the show but with the biggest engine) so he'th who is free of any sin throweth the first stone!

That Top Gear episode was so funny with Jeremy crashing with the hovercraft! I admit I laughed out loud when I saw him bite the mud ... but I feel they wrongfully accussed the racing sportquads of being a deathwish and terrifying

Sorry to hear about your injuries... but, yes, you were lucky!
    I can take a plane to the UK, no problems, I will pick up your P , drive it for a few weeks.... tell you everyday about it... Where shall I go for the pick up?

Forget it Gnil, Switzerland is further then Belgium
    I'll be so kind to do it for him. I'll even lend you a wheelchair if you like!
    Can I stay at your place for a month then?

..I 'll wash it inside out every week, will talk gently to it, sing songs, help you get the money out of your wallet to pay for petrol and... and... euh... I will also walk your dog!

damn, that has got to be the 2nd worse case scenario ever! i'd go insane if i were you lol! do yourself a favour, delay delivery by 3 weeks or everytime you go into your garage it will be torture beyond the description of words

OUCH!
    Sorry to hear that br d.
    Get better real soon.
    I'm sure you'll have no problem having someone pick up your ride. Maybe you should have the car delivered on flat-bed.

Get well soon dude...

Look at this way you could be injured permanently and not be able to drive at all! EVER

Good luck again and I think the you should work on getting your RIGHT FOOT healed FIRST... You'll need it more than your shoulder..

Lol! Thanks for the kind words and offers guys! I think delaying delivery might be the best option because if she's on the drive it will be sorely tempting to take her out before I'm healed. It's my right arm that's broken so I can still use the gearstick, I reckon I'd give in to it.

I probably shouldn't have made this thread, the replies had me laughing out loud and it hurts my ribs!!!!!

br d

Quote:
    br d said:It's my right arm that's broken so I can still use the gearstick, I reckon I'd give in to it.

been there, last summer, with a cast from the right wrist up to my elbow, I fell into the temptation and had to drive the car before it was healed or allowed to, and you will too I'm afraid, I got away with it but your case is worse because the fx is close to the shoulder and more dangerous. So delaying delivery would be the smartest thing to do

Sorry to hear, dude! Get well soon!

If you SHOULD need help on delivering the car, I am the one to choose! I am the one who speaks German fluently, I will talk to the car in its native language... And I am even closer than the guy from Belgium.

So I suppose you don't want your girlfriend/wife to drive the car before you?

Good advice Carlos!

Ferdie, yeah I asked my girlfriend but she's terrified of doing any damage. She's a good driver and I trust her to drive it but she said what if some [censored] hit her while she was bringing it home, she'd be gutted, it's a fair point.

br d

Quote:
    Gnil said:
    ..I 'll wash it inside out every week, will talk gently to it, sing songs, help you get the money out of your wallet to pay for petrol and... and... euh... I will also walk your dog!

i have a job for you--

you leave next week for LA...

br d , have a speedy recovery mate and yes it could have been worse , also make sure they store your baby in the right place while your healing ..

Take care..

throt..

Sorry to hear of the mishap. No worries, have your wife or GF shift your stick for you

lucky man, as a competive cyclist and ex-motorcycle racer my rule is a helmet is a must, I have seen too many head injuries not to protect the melon. Please for your own good protect the grey matter

br d,

Best wishes for a very speedy recovery- sounds like it could have easily been much worse! Yeah, great advice given: delay delivery if possible- way too much temptation.

Quote:
    hamilton93 said:
    my rule is a helmet is a must, I have seen too many head injuries not to protect the melon. Please for your own good protect the grey matter

As a neurologist, I echo that statement.

Maybe the convalescence required will help you get through break-in as you rehabilitate that right foot.

I agree 100% about the helmet. It was just slopiness on my part that I wasn't wearing it. I had it there but this was going to be "Just a quick go before we finish", we wasn't going to race anybody else or anything like that, I just jumped in without a thought. It certainly was a stupid move and shows that there is never a completely safe time in any motorsport, however low-risk it seems. The real problem was my stupid mate who drove like an [censored] even though I warned him he would roll it! He's absolutely distrought with the turnout though, he's sick with guilt. I've told him to forget about it, it was an accident after all, but that I will be smacking him in the mouth as soon as my arms healed. :-)

br d

Sorry to hear that !
    I wish you a fast recovery.
    I wouldn't delay delivery, but ask the dealer to deliver the car at my house : it's nice to look gently at the car sleeping in your garage too... specially the first days/nights.

take care of yourself, and fast recovery ,
    it will be more funny if you wait a few weeks extra
    to run your new car....
    in that way of thinking , you are still alive,
    so thats the good news.... and porsche owner to...

regards

br d !!! WHY NO HELMET ?!?!? WHY WHY WHY ?!?!?

Please people - WEAR helmets... I have THREE different helmets, 1 karting/Car helmet and TWO mountain bike helmets, one full face for DH and one for XC.

Best money I've ever spent !! You can actually have fun with them... get them painted pick nice helmets... you'll be more confident and go faster in whatever you're doing if you're well protected... if your accident broke your arm imagine what it could have done to your head SQUEEZED it like a GRAPE...

ENJOY your new car..... use your spare time to go buy a helmet !!!

br d some recovery advice...

I've had plenty of injuries, broken arms, torn ligaments etc.... My advice would be to make sure you REALLY FOLLOW any rehabilitation exercises they give you. If they say do 10 repetitions of something then you do 11 ! It can be really depressing to have injuies like you've described. Try to keep positive and make sure you have friends help you with the rehabilitation. You will be shocked when the casts or braces or whatever come off at how much muscle mass you can lose quickly from being "disabled" for a while... Just keep your head up and WORK to get back to your old self....

Re: br d some recovery advice...

Ouch! Hope you'll recover as swiftly as possible. I'd ask the dealership to store the car for you until you're fully healed up. Having it at home will only work if you chain yourself to the kitchen sink so you can't get anywhere near it during the rehab period. Just don't let them use your baby as a demo

Just got back from seeing a consultant at the Hospital and the news is pretty encouraging. The arm is "the right kind of break", it should heal well and I won't need any surgery, I can start exercising it after a couple of weeks. The ribs and the foot are just going to need time and a bit of taking it easy. The Doctor say's it will be "a long time" before I can lift my arm above shoulder height but it should be getting back to normal otherwise in about 4 weeks. So I reckon there's a good chance I'll be able to drive the car safely maybe a week after my original date.

Thanks for everybody's kind words. And wear a helmet!!

br d

Great to hear!

lovely happy ending

Quote:
    br d said:

br d

LMAO , as I type I am wearing my helmet , I mean I pick it up in 5 months time , you cant be too careful ..

throt..

Quote:
    throt said:
    Quote:
    br d said:

br d

LMAO , as I type I am wearing my helmet , I mean I pick it up in 5 months time , you cant be too careful ..

throt..

throt,

br d, great news!

John, good advice! By the way, who did the painting? Sweet, Man!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762508 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435386 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260522 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257581 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80952 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5321 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872309 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807677 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM