Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

I'm going in circles about color

Hey folks,

I'm going nuts trying to pick out color combos for my new 997S coupe. Can anyone sympathize with me? Am I the only one agonizing over this? I've been all over the map from Artic Silver, Seal Gray, Atlas, Cobalt Blue, Midnight blue, Balsalt Black, + a brief fling with Carmon Red which is a beautiful color but for a SUV/Sedan IMHO. I'm not much of a "standout" color guy like Red, Yellow, Orange, White.

My current fixation is on Midnight Blue with supple Stone grey or sand interior. It looks sooo classy but its like having a black car, dirt shows easily...

Anyway not asking for "the best color", just curious if this was a tough choice for you all as it is for me? And I've seen all these colors in person except for the Carmon Red which is rare it seems.

Thanks,
    Kurt (who likes to scuba in Kauai and my sig is probably out of date)

Re: I'm going in circles about color

i went sooooo many times to see the cars at the dealer!!
    And I downloaded sooooooooooo many different color combos...and kept looking at them, changing and getting confused....but bit by bit it norrowed down to eventually get to the color I want...if I don't change my mind once again!!

I went through almost the same thing. Could not decide between Silver, Yellow, Midnite Blue and Cobalt blue. I finally decided to go back to Arctic Silver/Blk for 2 reasons, it never tires my eyes, easy to maintain, no swirls/hides chips best and its true Porsche classic, shows the lines best in my opinion. If I had another Porsche, I would might likely go with midnite blue, which is very pretty. Go with what your heart tells you. My only other advice is try to be sure you are ready to live this color every day, I onced loved Speed Yelllow but I'm glad I didn't go with it, I could not live with that color on a daily basis.

Good Luck!

Quote:
    Arctic Silver/Blk for 2 reasons, it never tires my eyes, easy to maintain, no swirls/hides chips

I can relate always bought black cars and still my favorite but after getting a silver one I will keep getting this color ,,, even though black is still my fave ..

I have a Speed Yellow Boxster and I haven't tired of the color yet. Color is such a personal thing though. I like a lot of the metallic colors but am concerned with the ease of touch up. My car is a daily driver and it's impossible to avoid stone chips on the nose. I think Artic Silver and Black is very nice but I see so many of them, I've gotten a little bored with it. I'd have to get a different interior if I get Artic next time. More likely I'd get Seal/Sand.

I wanted to avoid the "dime-a-dozen" routine colors including all the grays, silvers, blacks. Lapis blue was my choice. I would avoid the gray interior; I think it looks like cheap plastic.

Let's try a different approach.

Instead of focusing on what color it should be outside, what color do you think it should be on the inside? If you have a firm feeling about one of the interiors it would be easier to pick the exterior. I have Arctic Silver/Black, this being my first Porsche. But in retrospect, Terracotta and Arctic or Terracotta and White would have been quite nice.

You can never go wrong by spending extra time at a dealer looking at a wide variety of combos. Some colors you think look good in your head just look boring or "not you" somehow in real life. It's easier to listen to all of us blab our opinions, but looking for yourself is absolutely the safest way to be happy with your choice.

mcdelaug

To me, two other concerns are safety and whether it is a daily driver or not. If not, it is my thinking that you might go with a more exciting or unusual color. For instance, my Elise was yellow, which I loved on a car I considered a toy, but it just attracted too much attention for a daily car. You can't go wrong with arctic silver/black. It's classic, not so flashy, was on the racing Porsches of the past, and it bright enough to be seen by a half-asleep truck driver. Mine is seal grey, which is nice, but it does blend in with the road -- not the safest choice.

seal grey is nice

looks even better in person!!!

My decision was easy. No kidding extremely easy.

Silver! Why? Because it shows the aesthetics of the car best. (all design department clay models of P-cars are covered in silver). It is the German racing color (after white). Silver is most ameanable to ambient light changes during the day, which sometimes make the car breathtaking (AM and PM mostly).

Easy choice for a black interior because the designers and sytlists have created a mish-mash of visual components in the current interior. IOW, the interior design is very busy and almost incoherent so black is the only way to downplay that. It's not really black, just dark dark grey.

Oddly if you look at the early 911, which is the focus of the "get back to the basics" design/styling impetus for the 997/S you'll see how totally simple the early 911 interiors were.

The "be-different-by-color-choice" position is probably a fallacy. Unless you get paint to sample and leather to sample, your specially ordered car is, from a production line perspective, actually quite typical.

Just my $.02. I respect other people's choices; we're all in this together.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Silver! Why? Because it shows the aesthetics of the car best.
    One person's opinion
    Silver is most ameanable to ambient light changes during the day, which sometimes make the car breathtaking (AM and PM mostly).
    One person's opinion
    Easy choice for a black interior because the designers and sytlists have created a mish-mash of visual components in the current interior. IOW, the interior design is very busy and almost incoherent so black is the only way to downplay that.
    One person's opinion
    The "be-different-by-color-choice" position is probably a fallacy. Unless you get paint to sample and leather to sample, your specially ordered car is, from a production line perspective, actually quite typical.
    But if you don't work on the production line, you can make your car less common, if not unique, by color. I see 10 silver P's each day. I see Carmon Red once every 6 months, for example.

Color is just too personal. There's no correct or incorrect anwer and that's all I meant by saying "one persons opinion". I wasn't being critical at all of MMD.

I'm afraid you expressed a rather extreme view.

There is a consensus to consider.

In a design school there are many students who have "one person's opinion" and they all agree on the content of certain basic lessons.

One of them is that silver or greys are the best "colors" for apprehending sculptural form.

There is apparently a consensus in the design dept at Porsche that silver is the best "color" for coveriing their clay models. They've been doing that for decades.

etc etc.

I forgot what your direction in the post is called in Philosphy 101, was it Solipsism?

Anyway, I'm glad you're enjoying the board so expressively, no kidding.

Solipsism! That's the first time I had to pull out the dictionary to read a post in this forum! And apparently, you've found the right word. Let me preface by saying I love silver and think it's very pretty. I started thinking about my next Porsche about a week after I got this one and silver is on my short list. My point was that if you don't like silver, it would be silly to buy one just because the concensus thinks so. Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer choice. Otherwise they'd only make the car in silver. And thanks for teaching me a new word!

Quote:
    LowPolarMoment said:
    Solipsism! Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer choice. Otherwise they'd only make the car in silver. And thanks for teaching me a new word!

LOL, yeah, We got too technical. The original poster just wanted to know how each of us made the"one person's opinion" color decision. Interesting to read the different approaches. Of course MINE is the ONLY CORRECT one!

I chose AS because of the reasons noted above (mostly the changing aesthetics with ambient light).

I LOVED Arctic on MY car.
    I LOVED Black/dark colors on someone elses car.

My opinion, therefore, included the "upkeep" factor as well as aesthetics.

Agree! Silver baby!

Here's Mid Blue with sand (understated yet different)
    I'm not a huge fan of stone grey....If I had of gone with a dark interior, I would have chosen Atlas.

Here's the sand inside

From a fellow scuba diver (Truk Lagoon...greatest wreck site in the world....Sipadan, Thailand, Cyprus etc)

Lots of people have been in the same boat. I've always been a big fan of black cars. My 2002 996 Turbo was black too. This time I went with the Artic Silver, Black top, Black int. I always agonized how black looked if it wasn't fresh of a detail. I wanted something that would contrast. imo the black interior will always look the best in any sports car. When combined with the silver pieces inside the black interior has the most high-tech look. Black being the inside is easy for me. The standard charcoal stitching in a black interior is the icing on the cake because it's like getting deviated stitching without the risk they'll screw something up. What looks best with silver and black interior ? A silver metallic paint. I went to my dealer who had a GT-Silver and Artic car next to one another in the sun and it was easy to choose Artic. imo it's the most reflective paint Porsche has. It's also the closest match to the aluminum look pieces in the interior (I like that look)I knew Artic would be easy to clean but I had no-idea how easy. It's impossible to describe what I see when looking at the Artic paint with the chrome exterior touches like in the headlight, headlight washer etc. but it looks almost futuristic to me. The reflective silver paint with black looks very high-tech and modern. I think that's why many concept vehicles are this combo. Besides looking the best (imo) and being the easiest to clean, it's also the most classic Porsche color and as a bonus will have the greatest re-sale in most cases.

I agree about Carmon Red. I feel the same way. But I also feel the same way about tan/sand. Nice for an suv but not for a high performance sports car. I also feel the same way about "supple" leather. Seats in high-performance sports cars should like tight, with defining lines and not Cadillac Eldorado looking. "ruffled" leather is okay for a couch or a caddy but not in a sports car imo. Imagine a racing car with RUFFLED sand leather seats ? Nope.

ps: Don't NOT get a color because you think it is too popular. Buy the color that you think looks best and not based on what other people may or may not have. You're the ONLY one making the payments and the amount of times you will see another 997 with your color combo in a year will probably be a handful at max, not worth choosing a second choice color that you have to live with the other 360 days out of the year. (Even though it's probably the most popular I have not seen an Artic/ black 997 S cab besides mine on the street yet)

God that was long. Sometimes I just get going and don't know when to stfu. Someone smack me next time, K ?

Thanks guys for your thoughts.

That sand interior looks real nice close up. I think I've narrowed my exterior colors to: Artic Silver, Seal Grey, or Midnight Blue, and the interior depends on the exterior so I wont know until I make a decision on the exterior. If I pick a silver color how does Sea Blue interior look? I haven not seen that combo yet, as folks seem to get black interiors with Silver/Grey cars.

Thanks again,
    Kurt

wow midnight blue looks really nice jfraser, bit darker than lapis, but reflects differently colourwise in the light! thanks for the pics!

Good job Stradale. Don't worry about stfu. The original poster will benefit from your thoughts.

One thing I want to add, is the lighter earth tones, like terra cotta and sand beige, seem better suited for the Southwest USA, FL or CA. They start to look out of place (hehe literally, hehe) when in northern climes with all four seasons.

I haven't seen the new blue interior yet but, in general, I like silver/blue/blue very much and have had that combo on other cars.

"Do NOT get a color because you think it is too popular. Buy the color that you think looks best and not based on what other people may or may not have." by Stradale

You don't know how may times I have heard this phrase said to me here in CALI.

"Silver is too common"

I say WTF... it's MY Silver PORSCHE! talk to me like that when you get an orange one you... you... F'kn self indulgent prick!....

Sorry I just have an insane dislike for California's mundane misconception of "Individualism"

I'm going with Atlas Grey/Cocoa leather interior for my S. No idea about the combo (although its an approved Porsche combination) - just love both colours.

I'll show you photos when it's delivered - I still can't believe I am going to have one...

I'd have to say Carmon red on tan interior. I know, this is not a poplular choice by people who haven't seen it in person, but I ahve and I say, it's awesome. And, if you're looking for a car that won't look dime-a-dozen, carmon red isn't very common. I've only seen one.

Quote:
    kauai_diver said:
    I've been all over the map from Artic Silver, Seal Gray, Atlas, Cobalt Blue, Midnight blue, Balsalt Black, + a brief fling with Carmon Red which is a beautiful color but for a SUV/Sedan IMHO.

Hmm, you are trying to decide between lots of colors. Maybe you should just pick your favorite color for paint to sample

Quote:
    kauai_diver said:
    Anyway not asking for "the best color", just curious if this was a tough choice for you all as it is for me?

Sure, it was I decided between cobalt or lapis blue and guards red. Guards red looks fantastic on a clean car. But after seeing one at the dealer that stood in the rain I decided against it. The rain left long black traces all other the car that looked pretty ugly. In Germany it just rains too often. Although I try to avoid the rain with the Porsche I just get caught by it too often. The lapis was too dark for me, so I chose cobalt. That special color has a two month wait period. That was no problem, since my April order had a July delivery anyway. For the cobalt my interior color choice was between the sea/ocean blue and stone grey. After seeing the sea blue in a midnight blue 997 and the grey in a silver 987 I decided to go for the lighter stone grey. The sea blue is very dark and I didn't want two cars with dark interior. My other daily driver already is black/black.

This is all silly. Did you LOOK at the color chart? There's three or four silver/greys, three dark colors, the usual red, yellow, white. And two or three others (Carmon, Cobalt, and?)

Overall the color chart doesn't offer much variety.

You have silver/grey, dark colors, wild colors(RYW), and favorite colors (blue, carmon )

Kauai diver,

If I never before owned a 911, I'd start with black or Arctic silver with black interior. If I have, then I'd play the field. I think the sand beige leather of the 997 line is lovely, so I plan to combine it with midnight or lapis blue when the 997T's come out. For you, Arctic silver or black with a sand beige interior would work well, and the sand beige would blend in nicely with whatever you bring back with you from your scuba treks to the Pacific Ocean floor!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777697 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441884 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262864 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261076 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85341 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5626 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880746 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816205 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM