Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: CGT owners can't drive?

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Im glad that Porsche had the stones to make such a balls to the walls sports car. Sadly its also the only sports car they make anymore. If I could rationalize spending that much $$$ on a toy I would get one.

What do you drive, Jim? Corvette?

Just my 2 cent ....

May be the CGT driver wasn't aware that Florida drivers are among the worst .... got scared by GranPa taking the exit ramp the wrong way ....

Quote:
    EricAlain said:

Just my 2 cent ....

May be the CGT driver wasn't aware that Florida drivers are among the worst .... got scared by GranPa taking the exit ramp the wrong way ....

Maybe you should confine your criticism to cars rather than people. Otherwise, you're inviting the Floridians to comment on the behavior of the French.

FYI .... I lived for 6 years in Boca Raton, FL and it actually happened to me. I really got scared and thank God Porsche brakes are outstanding and I was able to avoid the crash !!!!

Where abouts in Boca, Alain?

In New Floresta close to Glades Rd between Palmetto and St Andrews.

Actually I bought my car at Champion in Pompano and Larry was the salesman.

I'm in Seasons @ Jog & Clint Moore, EricAlain. Didn't the owner of the Porsche dealership live in New Floresta too?

So we were very close just few blocks away. I don't think so, he must be a very wealthy man and I think he lives in another community like "Les Jardins". You should ask Larry.

OK, this is what happened.

1) Technician ( a Great Guy, by the way ) taking drive for
    PDI ( Pre Delivery Inspection ) He is the only guy allowed to do this particular duty with all GT's.

2) Brand new SOLD car, 16 miles, which is low compared to some other GTs which have more miles. My customer,and friend
    Danny C. GT had exactly 50 miles on it at delivery. The cars
    are only driven on the Leipzig test track by factory drivers. I've driven on the track, by the way. Unbelievable!!! The point is, the tires were very "Green".
    It take a new tire about 200 miles to really get broken in.

3) It RAINED...

4) Technician claims somebody cut him off, and there was no
    place to go. Atlantic Blvd west, just about to jump on the
    ramp to I-95. Down here in Florida where there really is no place to enjoy our sports cars, we call this " Crushing "
    the ramp. I Crush the Oakland-Park Blvd. I-95 ramp in my 997
    almost every day. On a good day; 3rd gear red-line.

5) Black GT ends up in precarious position, over shallow
    revine; with moderate damage to under carriage. Car will be repaired like new. We deliver another Black GT to anxious customer. He's happy.

6)Mayhem here, but that's the car business. Literally one hour later; first pictures on the web.

What can we learn from this ?

New GT's are a big time handfull with cold, new ,tires in the rain.
    Porsche technicians, are not Porsche race drivers.

The internet has made the world an immediate news environment, and a much smaller place. It is truly amazing.

Revvv

Sounds so reasonable now. Thanks for clearing that up Revvv

Maybe people get too excited and forget to warm up the tires all together.

u can get a hold of another CGT that quick?

Quote:
    Revvv said:
    OK, this is what happened.

1) Technician ( a Great Guy, by the way ) taking drive for
    PDI ( Pre Delivery Inspection ) He is the only guy allowed to do this particular duty with all GT's.

2) Brand new SOLD car, 16 miles, which is low compared to some other GTs which have more miles. My customer,and friend
    Danny C. GT had exactly 50 miles on it at delivery. The cars
    are only driven on the Leipzig test track by factory drivers. I've driven on the track, by the way. Unbelievable!!! The point is, the tires were very "Green".
    It take a new tire about 200 miles to really get broken in.

3) It RAINED...

4) Technician claims somebody cut him off, and there was no
    place to go. Atlantic Blvd west, just about to jump on the
    ramp to I-95. Down here in Florida where there really is no place to enjoy our sports cars, we call this " Crushing "
    the ramp. I Crush the Oakland-Park Blvd. I-95 ramp in my 997
    almost every day. On a good day; 3rd gear red-line.

5) Black GT ends up in precarious position, over shallow
    revine; with moderate damage to under carriage. Car will be repaired like new. We deliver another Black GT to anxious customer. He's happy.

6)Mayhem here, but that's the car business. Literally one hour later; first pictures on the web.

What can we learn from this ?

New GT's are a big time handfull with cold, new ,tires in the rain.
    Porsche technicians, are not Porsche race drivers.

The internet has made the world an immediate news environment, and a much smaller place. It is truly amazing.

Revvv

hes lucky it didnt hit those trees!

I just read Revvs post...I swear!!!

I honestly do not know how anyone can drive the CGT safely in the rain. My 430 has a setting for slippery raining conditions and it only has 483hp and weighs more than the CGT.

One thing I will say is the CGT was made for the color Black. Though a pain to keep clean, the color in my view enhances the appearance of the CGT by a factor of ten. Yellow, Mike's color, gets an increased factor of eight.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Yellow, Mike's color, gets an increased factor of eight.

That's a nice kiss... Revvv

Low Polar moment is your name Glenn?

Quote:
    nberry said:
    I honestly do not know how anyone can drive the CGT safely in the rain. My 430 has a setting for slippery raining conditions and it only has 483hp and weighs more than the CGT.

First they introduce a button to shift gears automatically and now you guys don't know how to shift manually. Then they give you a button to accelerate properly and now you don't know how to launch your cars using your feet. And now a setting for slippery conditions were you will soon forget how to do it using your common senses.

The next thing Ferrari will have a button for self ejaculation where you guys will forget how to f**k!

Well, I guess we'll have more episodes of Desperate Housewives.

ha,

Quote:
    dan996 said:
    Low Polar moment is your name Glenn?

No. My name is Steve but I visited the P dealer yesterday with my neighbor Glenn. Were you there?

Quote:
    ha said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

First they introduce a button to shift gears automatically and now you guys don't know how to shift manually. Then they give you a button to accelerate properly and now you don't know how to launch your cars using your feet. And now a setting for slippery conditions were you will soon forget how to do it using your common senses.

The next thing Ferrari will have a button for self ejaculation where you guys will forget how to f**k!

Well, I guess we'll have more episodes of Desperate Housewives.

Ha common sense means very little when driving a CGT.

I predict in five years Porsche will have the manettino and DSG. Your manual trasmission will go the way of the manual typewriters.

Sorry to break this to you Nick but this manettino reference is a little naive:

- Porsche was the first to invent and incorporate the electronic differential technology in a car (see Porsche 959 PSK's system),
    - the first to develop a dual-clutch secuential tranny (see 80's Group C racecars, 956/962) and oferered auto-trannies since 37 years ago (before Ferrari) and was the first main maker to incorporate computerised-auto's with the Tip, now comes the street version of the double clutch which will be superior to any current secuential, including Ferrai's F1.
    - and Porsche incorporated electronic stability systems with the sophisticated PSM in their street cars long before Ferrari did

So in terms o driveability and active safety you have things a bit up side down my friend its just that the CGT is no poseur car and Porsche designed it that way.

As to the manuals, as long as there are "drivers" there will be manuals

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:As to the manuals, as long as there are "drivers" there will be manuals

Well said! And if there are no more manual on new cars, I'll just buy a "classic".

Carlos,

I've read at least two articles--I know one was in Excellence--which quote development engineers at Porsche who admitted they wanted to include a DSG/F1 type trans on the CGT but they couldn't get it finished in time.

Greg A

I used to work there with Larry and sold Glenn his car. I saw where you lived and thought it sounded familiar. I will be there to take my car in for service next week and check on delivery of my 997.

Hi Dan996. I live across the street from Glenn. On the way to Champion, Glenn mentioned that he used to deal with another salesman prior to Larry. Tell me about your 997 please.

2006 997 cabriolet, silver with black top and interior. Many of the standard goodies, bose, 19" wheels, power seats, heated seats, xenon, ect... to be built in sept delivery in oct. I had 996 same color and loved it. I sold Porsches for close to 20 years, now I am just a consumer of Porsche, and loving it.

Did you have a speed yellow boxster?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778510 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442128 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263002 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261290 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85533 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5753 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880965 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816808 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM