Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Carrera Sport Wheel - pics request

The pricelist for the MY06 997 contains a new wheel - Carrera Sport (not the Sport Design wheel).

Has anybody ever seen that in real life (and possibly could post a pic of it on a car)?
    /uploads/122806-CarreraSport.jpg

Re: Carrera Sport Wheel - pics request

UAUUU great news..

finally we see the look of this wheel...

is the same there is on the front axle of 997 Turbo mules...

They look like the GT-3 wheels.

Ummmnn , thats more toothbrushes used for cleaning .

throt..

What's the best thing to use for cleaning the little tight spots on wheels? Is a pressure washing machine too powerful to use on wheels?

Quote:
    LowPolarMoment said:
    What's the best thing to use for cleaning the little tight spots on wheels? Is a pressure washing machine too powerful to use on wheels?

Best thing is a brush with long bristles and a handle. You can get them at detail shops. Get it here: http://detailking.goemerchant1.com/index...;ExpandedDepts=

Quote:
    LowPolarMoment said:

Pay someone else lol , as long as it not some herbert who does'nt give a monkeys ..

Pressure washers okay , if operating at 110 bar keep at least 18 " away to be safe , the same principle on paintwork and I dont use any chemical on the alloys either just good old fashion elbow grease for those damn tar spots .

throt..

same 235 J8 and 295 J11 or bigger?

That's THE FRONT wheel shown in most of the spy shots of the 997 Turbo.

Click top right pic in the link:
    http://www.onlyporsche.net/News/Porsche-911/Porsche-997-Turbo-cabriolet-photos

I hope the Turbo has other options. That wheel looks hard to clean. I went with the S wheel and I regret it. Wish I would have went with the Carrera Classics.

Question : When you guys wash your car/wheels does the dirt/rust from the rotors end up on the inside of the wheel when you're done detailing ? What I mean is - I wash my car and wash my rims with a brush and towel. I dry off the car and the rims but the rotors IMMEDIATELY get a small coat of rust. So when I drive off this rust and water get the inside of the rims dirty again. I then have to take a damp rag and clean off the inside of the rims without getting the rotors wet. I don't remember having this problem with my 996 TT.
    Anyone have similar problem ?

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    I hope the Turbo has other options. That wheel looks hard to clean. I went with the S wheel and I regret it. Wish I would have went with the Carrera Classics.

Question : When you guys wash your car/wheels does the dirt/rust from the rotors end up on the inside of the wheel when you're done detailing ? What I mean is - I wash my car and wash my rims with a brush and towel. I dry off the car and the rims but the rotors IMMEDIATELY get a small coat of rust. So when I drive off this rust and water get the inside of the rims dirty again. I then have to take a damp rag and clean off the inside of the rims without getting the rotors wet. I don't remember having this problem with my 996 TT.

It happens everytime I wash the car. I get a rust colored stripe on the inside of the wheels when I first drive it after washing. So my procedure now is to wash, dry, drive up and down my 300 foot driveway and wipe the inside of the wheels again.

This weekend I was drying my car when I snagged the cloth on the S (of the Carrera S) and bent it somewhat. I managed to stick it back into place, but it looks a little worse for wear. I bought a new S for about $21 and the guy in the parts department says it happens all the time. He says he always keeps them in stock since they sell so many of them.

Be careful around your S.

Phil

Quote:
    PS CA said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

It happens everytime I wash the car. I get a rust colored stripe on the inside of the wheels when I first drive it after washing. So my procedure now is to wash, dry, drive up and down my 300 foot driveway and wipe the inside of the wheels again.

This weekend I was drying my car when I snagged the cloth on the S (of the Carrera S) and bent it somewhat. I managed to stick it back into place, but it looks a little worse for wear. I bought a new S for about $21 and the guy in the parts department says it happens all the time. He says he always keeps them in stock since they sell so many of them.

Be careful around your S.

Phil

Mine happened on the C and it came back just fine.

@STRADALE

What I do is clean rims first so that when I'm done with washing the body it's the first one I dry up [rims] and if there's any rust or dirt dripping I hose is down right away. Also pressure washers really work well on the rims

Phil,
    THANKS!
    Yeah, it's not like a little dirt either it leaves so much crap that it looks worse after then before. That's what I'll do - Before final cleaning & drying of the wheels I'll get in and let it roll down my driveway enough to clean and dry the rotors.

Listen - I found this micro-fiber towel and will never dry my cars with anything else ever again. Almost impossible to get anything caught on it and after I use a water blade to squeegie off the water this 1 towel dries the entire car.
    http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1003&SKU=11023

ps: I tried the squeegee from Griot and didn't like it at all. The "water-blade" from California Car cover works awesome.
    http://www.calcarcover.com/product.aspx?id=1006&cid=100

Using one of these blades may seem strange as hell. It was to me until I tried it. Works unbelievably.

And thanks for the heads up about the Logo guys.

That mico fiber towel acts almost like a sponge. It doesn't have large enough loops for anything to get caught on and wont trap dirt like a regular towel that can scratch paint. Recommended to another friend and he was blown away too.

I don't use bath towels whatsoever anymore. Even Stopped using Sheeps skin mits. I use a large boars hair brush with car wash soap for the top two thirds of the car. Then a seperate boars head brush for the bottom third of the car. Another brush for the wheels. Another for inside the wheel wells, Hose it off, squeegee and dry with that one micro-fiber cloth. That's it. Half the time it use to take me with 75% less mess and less chance of scratches.

ps: IT'S NOT THE "11117 Micro Fiber Drying Towel $26.99". Tried that and didn't like it. It's the " 11023 Ultra Thick Micro Fiber Towel $16.99"

ps2: For in between washes or just to get off finger prints etc. These YELLOW Micro-fiber towels are UNREAL when used with Griots "SPEED-SHINE". I couldn't find where to buy them seperate but heres the link. The YELLOW ones are thicker then the one. Don't pay attention to what it says about using them for polishing.
    http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1004&SKU=11374

Use those YELLOW towels with this SPEED SHINE stuff and you'll be HOOKED FOR LIFE:
    http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=11144

I keep one bottle of the SPEED SHINE and one micr-fiber cloth in the boot of my Challenge Stradale and in my 997. Bought a gallon jug of it that I keep in my garage to re-fill the small spray bottle.

After the PCA Rally 2 weekends ago I used that little towel and the speed shine to clean up my 997 and won the concours.

Found it. Here's the cloths:
    http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=11115

Good stuff - the new wheel pic and the cleaning advice! I've been mixing my own "speed shine" but I think I may switch to the real stuff. I'm placing (another) order at Griots and carcareonline now! Thanks!

That Speed shine stuff is freakin incredible. I never rub my paint with a dry cloth or finger. Anytime I see something strange on my car whether it looks like dirt, a crushed bug, bird doo, whatever. Before I break out a wet towel I spray some of that stuff on it and it always seems to work.

How did you mix up your own ? By the ingredient label ? First ingredient being the largest % and then down from there ?

Much less scientific than that. I had read on carecareonline that it is just a diluted wash solution so I have been preparing and using a very weak P21S auto wash solution for many years. It works reasonably well but I have heard enough good things about Speed Shine that I want to try the real thing.

Cool.
    I was just poking around and found you can get 6 of those micro-fiber cloths(includes 3 of the yellow & 3 of the white ones) for the same price as the link above for 3 of the yellows:
    http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?searchtext=11001

The speed shine stuff is the only stuff I've found that you can use on everything. Paint, plastic, chrome (use it on my bikes all the time) even glass.

I have those micro fiber cloths in my cart as I type this. I need to replenish my supply! Thanks again for the good info and make sure you get your commission from Griot.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

That mico fiber towel acts almost like a sponge. It doesn't have large enough loops for anything to get caught on and wont trap dirt like a regular towel that can scratch paint.

If you look closely at the S you will notice that it is not completely flat against the car. It is held on with rubberized two sided sticky tape. The tape stops about 1/8 of an inch from the end of the S. So you have a little bit of S in the air. I didn't catch it with a loop, I just caught it with the towel itself as it went by. I didn't just pull the S up from the sticky stuff, I actually bent it. I got it stuck back down, but once bent plastic doesn't go back in its original shape. That is why I bought a new one. And some day when I have the time to mess with it I will put it on.

Phil

Which 19 design is your favourite?
    Carrera S
    Classic
    SportDesign
    Carrera Sport

Quote:
    PS CA said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

That mico fiber towel acts almost like a sponge. It doesn't have large enough loops for anything to get caught on and wont trap dirt like a regular towel that can scratch paint.

If you look closely at the S you will notice that it is not completely flat against the car. It is held on with rubberized two sided sticky tape. The tape stops about 1/8 of an inch from the end of the S. So you have a little bit of S in the air. I didn't catch it with a loop, I just caught it with the towel itself as it went by. I didn't just pull the S up from the sticky stuff, I actually bent it. I got it stuck back down, but once bent plastic doesn't go back in its original shape. That is why I bought a new one. And some day when I have the time to mess with it I will put it on.

Phil

What I meant was a loop from the towel. Usually cotton towels (like bath towels) have thousands of very small loops that can catch logos and stuff. Don't know if you were using something like this or not. Good tip about being careful though, thanks !

You mean you have the S but haven't put it on yet ? You have a sleeper in your hands now.

Quote:
    tnunnery said:
    I have those micro fiber cloths in my cart as I type this. I need to replenish my supply! Thanks again for the good info and make sure you get your commission from Griot.

You're welcome !
    Nothing in it for me except a good feeling when buddies come back and say - YIPEE ! YAHOO IE !

stop talking about wash the wheels!!!!!!speak up about the wheels!!!!!

Anyone use a water blade on a black car (which shows every mark)? Have always used a P21S drying towel.

Quote:
    Flashman said:
    Anyone use a water blade on a black car (which shows every mark)? Have always used a P21S drying towel.

Used one on my BLACK 996TT for over a year. Less chance of leaving a mark then using a dry terri-cloth cotton towel.

Looks great...think I'll give one a go. Thanks.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777630 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441864 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262850 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261061 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85327 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5617 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880727 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816164 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM