Crown

Board: McLaren Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren on a winning streak

ALDO:

THE WINTER BALL WEEKEND PACKAGE £3,750 PER COUPLE

Includes:

• Attendance for two people at the McLaren Winter Ball on Saturday 3rd December

• Champagne and canapés on arrival

• Gourmet dining experience

• Cocktail bar open throughout

• Live entertainment and special guest appearances

• Two night stay in a double room on Friday 2nd and Saturday 3rd December at the Four Seasons Hampshire

• Informal welcome dinner with other McLaren owners on Friday 2nd December

• Option group Clay Pigeon shooting activity on the morning of Saturday 3rd December

• One complimentary Spa treatment per couple.

• Return private transfers from London Airport to Four Seasons

Hampshire

• Return transfers to the McLaren Technology Centre 

That actually sounds like a fantastic weekend ! I'd definitely go for the clay pidgeon shooting.

Enmanuel:
    ALDO:

THE WINTER BALL WEEKEND PACKAGE £3,750 PER COUPLE

Includes:

• Attendance for two people at the McLaren Winter Ball on Saturday 3rd December

• Champagne and canapés on arrival

• Gourmet dining experience

• Cocktail bar open throughout

• Live entertainment and special guest appearances

• Two night stay in a double room on Friday 2nd and Saturday 3rd December at the Four Seasons Hampshire

• Informal welcome dinner with other McLaren owners on Friday 2nd December

• Option group Clay Pigeon shooting activity on the morning of Saturday 3rd December

• One complimentary Spa treatment per couple.

• Return private transfers from London Airport to Four Seasons

Hampshire

• Return transfers to the McLaren Technology Centre 

That actually sounds like a fantastic weekend ! I'd definitely go for the clay pidgeon shooting.

Just so long as Saturday morning's clay pigeons don't feature in Saturday evening's gourmet dining experience.  Smiley

--

fritz

To be honest, I'm not a fan of such events. I love the factory visit part and so on but the catering and that social thingie...not my thing. Also not a fan of the price tag but to each his own I guess.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

http://www.r8talk.com/forums/138-2nd-generation-discussion/116537-those-think-thought-mclaren-570s-might-have-been-option-over-r...

Interesting read...(570S)

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

He also mentioned they previously had a 12C in their lineup and the car had brakes issues to the severity that they pulled that as well and got rid of it. He said that the car had an electrical assist on the brakes to preload them for quicker response and it got to the point that the braking assist was engaging to the point that the car would just veer to one side or the other without any braking input from the driver.

I believe them when they say they had some electric glitches, but the brakes I've never heard anything about. I've never in the last 4 years on the McLaren forum heard anything like this or problems with brakes. There is brake steer, but I don't know what "pre-loading" the brake would even mean.

I would not want to own a McLaren as a daily track car as they do. You're just asking for trouble owning any exotics as a track toy since you're going to create significant wear and tear on very expensive things.

noone1:

He also mentioned they previously had a 12C in their lineup and the car had brakes issues to the severity that they pulled that as well and got rid of it. He said that the car had an electrical assist on the brakes to preload them for quicker response and it got to the point that the braking assist was engaging to the point that the car would just veer to one side or the other without any braking input from the driver.

I believe them when they say they had some electric glitches, but the brakes I've never heard anything about. I've never in the last 4 years on the McLaren forum heard anything like this or problems with brakes. There is brake steer, but I don't know what "pre-loading" the brake would even mean.

I would not want to own a McLaren as a daily track car as they do. You're just asking for trouble owning any exotics as a track toy since you're going to create significant wear and tear on very expensive things.

IIRC, they mentioned something like that for the P1.  they said that once you let off the accl, it would ready the brakes to take action immediately.  Or something like that.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't do that. Never heard that before.

heart Mmm, could've sworn heard it somewhere from someone.  

I remember hearing about that "pre-load brake". I think Ferrari 458 introduced that. Not sure if the P1/570S have it.

As soon as you let off the throttle, the brake caliper squeezes a bit so the brake pads are closer to the brake disc. If you use the brakes shortly after it starts braking slighly faster.

Topspeed:

I remember hearing about that "pre-load brake". I think Ferrari 458 introduced that. Not sure if the P1/570S have it.

As soon as you let off the throttle, the brake caliper squeezes a bit so the brake pads are closer to the brake disc. If you use the brakes shortly after it starts braking slighly faster.

IIRC, the Porsche 997 C4 had it, but the C2 did not. Don't know if it was carried over to the 991. 

--

fritz

Isn't this function a basic function of all latest gen ABS systems? yes

I think Mercedes introduced it for the very first time many years ago but I may be wrong.

--

From lambo power: Heard today from my McLaren friends that the 650S replacement code named P14 being shown at Geneva 2017 will have 720PS or 710 HP (SAE) and be faster than the 675LT! 

P14 will be price wise clearly above 488 GTB or Huracan LP610-4. Car will be priced at F12 level or even above it.

So, new class without direct competitors.

KresoF1:

P14 will be price wise clearly above 488 GTB or Huracan LP610-4. Car will be priced at F12 level or even above it.

This would be a mistake in my opinion...

--

KresoF1:

The price will be a little bit higher than current 650S, but certainly not way over like F12 or above..... as they will have another model sitting in between P1 & 650S, so this isn't it.  

huangester:
    KresoF1:

The price will be a little bit higher than current 650S, but certainly not way over like F12 or above..... as they will have another model sitting in between P1 & 650S, so this isn't it.  

This makes more sense...

--

McLaren will invest 1 billion pound in the next 6 years and will develop 15 new models (incl. special editions). He mentioned a full electrical car in the ultimate series.

This was written by Mike Flewitt in his letter to customers.

Regarding P14 pricing vs. 650s pricing, it is clear that it will be higher and as far as I have heard more then in a normal model cycles but how much nobody knows.

@Kreso: you have tested a McLaren, which dealer gave you the car?

--

AM

Adnan,

Will be in Germany next week. Do not know who has 540C test car. Your dealer Dörr or maybe Moll in Dusseldorf?

Will call you when I arrive to Pfalz.

Probably a little bit more than 650S. People spec McLarens very high, thus it always seems like more than it is though. $300K+ wouldn't surprise me for the coupe. 

KresoF1:

Adnan,

Will be in Germany next week. Do not know who has 540C test car. Your dealer Dörr or maybe Moll in Dusseldorf?

I thought you have tested, somewhere you mentioned side by side test Mclaren and Ferrari you have done.

Next week I am in Croatia - so the next time

--

AM

No McL dealer in DR but this pulled up next to me in traffic. It was a pretty impressive spec too, the car looks way better in person than in pics. 

IMG_1851.JPG

ALDO:
    KresoF1:

Adnan,

I thought you have tested, somewhere you mentioned side by side test Mclaren and Ferrari you have done.

Next week I am in Croatia - so the next time

Drove 570S in June few days after testing 488 GTB. Pretty impressed with 570S. Although, with some options more or less same price is R8 V10 Plus or 991.2 Turbo.

Loved seeing this, McLaren F1 engine out job:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ8DHtR9P7w

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E / 2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2013 MINI John Cooper Works GP / 2014 BMW Alpina D3 biturbo Touring

I am very excited to learn more about the P14 - could be a very good car Smiley

Porker:

Loved seeing this, McLaren F1 engine out job:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ8DHtR9P7w

Great vid! Thanks for posting the link.   Smiley

--

fritz

MKSGR:

If McLaren doesn't run out of money Smiley, they could indeed put even more pressure on the super sportscar market.

Don't forget one thing: McLaren is in the UK and the UK will leave the EU. For a small manufacturer like McLaren, this could actually break their neck in the process. Smiley Their profit has never been stellar anyway and new models cost a lot of money to develop, market and maintain.

--

RC:
    MKSGR:

If McLaren doesn't run out of money Smiley, they could indeed put even more pressure on the super sportscar market.

Don't forget one thing: McLaren is in the UK and the UK will leave the EU. For a small manufacturer like McLaren, this could actually break their neck in the process. Smiley Their profit has never been stellar anyway and new models cost a lot of money to develop, market and maintain.

Supercars like McLarens are nothing like as sensitive to import tariffs as mass-market cars like, say, a Nissan Qashqai.  
    McLaren already exports its cars into markets where they are subject to import taxes, whereas Nissan set up its UK factory expressly to eliminate import duties and high shipping costs for its best-selling models in the European market. 

--

fritz

fritz:
    Supercars like McLarens are nothing like as sensitive to import tariffs as mass-market cars like, say, a Nissan Qashqai.  
    McLaren already exports its cars into markets where they are subject to import taxes, whereas Nissan set up its UK factory expressly to eliminate import duties and high shipping costs for its best-selling models in the European market. 

What about production cost and especially parts? How many parts come from outside the UK and especially from within the EU? Since McLaren is a small manufacturer, I assume they have the same suppliers larger car manufacturers have and many are in the EU and not in the UK. Just an assumption though...

--

RC:
    fritz:

What about production cost and especially parts? How many parts come from outside the UK and especially from within the EU? Since McLaren is a small manufacturer, I assume they have the same suppliers larger car manufacturers have and many are in the EU and not in the UK. Just an assumption though...

Parts bought in $ and €, for example, would negatively affect margins on cars sold in devalued pounds, but not on cars McLaren invoices in $ or €.
    Added value within the UK (locally bought parts, assembly, etc.) and paid for in devalued £ would add to the margins on exported vehicles, if they are invoiced in foreign currencies. 
    I suspect that McLaren's high degree of vertical integration and the fact the engine comes from a UK company (Ricardo) will mean that £ devaluation will have a fairly limited influence on manufacturing costs.  

--

fritz

A lot of McLaren's costs are in GBP and most of their earnings are in foreign currencies that have appreciated against the pound.

They should be getting a nice boost to margins and profits, relative to GBP.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM