Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Parking Assist(635) or not?

I'm considering the parking assist option and wanted to know more about how it works. My last 911 (993 C2S) was backed into a pole where the rear wheel fender was crushed since the car was pretty wide (I'll never let a parking attendant near my car again). Does the system beep louder the closer you get to an object or is it just one continuos beep? Are there sensors on the side of the rear which would help with the wide back of the car or are they only useful for objects directly behind?

Re: Parking Assist(635) or not?

i've got them on my car 993c2s, rather safe than sorry, it beeps continously only once you are in a certain range of something and beeps quicker as you get closer to it. you don't even really see it unless you look really hard. they sit quite a bit at the side so unless you're really bad at parking there's no help for you here's is a pic to illustrate better.

On my BMWs the thing beeps as you move in reverse. As you get closer to something the beeps get more frequent. When there is one continuous tone you should stop the car (I forget the exact distance at which it goes continuous).

My logic for not getting it: If you do alot of parallel parking maybe get it. You're gonna get lots of scuffs and dents anyway, if you are in an urban environment which makes you need it. (Catch 22).

So going without it makes the bumper look way better.

Another way: if you are gonna "baby the car" don't get it. If you're gonna be "practical" get it.

Just my 2 cents.

Oh, perhaps you've noticed what Mike S's picture above shows. The darker the car the less obtrusive they look.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Oh, perhaps you've noticed what Mike S's picture above shows. The darker the car the less obtrusive they look.

that is true, i suppose for silver or something with a lighter shade, you would see it far easier, but on basalt black it's all good

hehehe I got too... although i regret having it from time to time it is nice to know that I'm safe backing into my Bay area garage [small garage compared to others]

No way jose.........looks terrible and if you can't park this little car then , well whatever...I passed on a 996 polar silver c4s because of that ugly bumper.

it doesn't bother me even if it's on silver IMO, what bothers me the most is those 2 buldge things on the sides of where the license plate goes (even though i know it's law there). why are those things required again?

Me too Mike S it seems awful odd...

@rss996 - are you in southern cal? If so then its completely unnecessary because of the vast spaces you got there. Up here in the bay space is a premium. And as for parking ability of this little car... 110 grand is not little to me!... I'm more comfortable knowing exactly where this little car is going including backwards!

Now this is FREAKY!

can you retrofit parking assist guys?

roflmao!!! omg it looks like the car has warts on it's ass!

Quote:
    tooner said:
    Now this is FREAKY!

I don't mind the park sensors on the 997 but those aftermarket ones are gross!!

Yeah, that looks really bad.

And that's how tey looked on the 996/986 before they were nicely integrated - got them on my seal grey 987 and hardly notice them, but find them very handy, especially as we've a couple of cars and I continually swapping between them so don't get enough continuous 987 time to learn the corners so to speak.

Saw a nice aftermarket setup at a local Vauxhall (GM) dealer though - the sensors are mounted to a number plate surround. you don't get the full width coverage of the 4 porsche sensors but a neat solution and well priced (approx Pounds150 fitted)

On the 997 it doesn't look too bad but it does look better without it.
    I didn't order it, but my wife has asked me to get park assist .....I have not changed my order yet, and I am still thinking about what to do

Leaving mine out gnil , though they are a good idea for the less confident..

throt.

Quote:
    throt said:they are a good idea for the less confident..

Confidence has nothing to do with it! I guess it's half a macho thing ("If I can't park my car without a reversing aid, then I'm not manly enough!" ) and half the sort of driving environment in your locality.

I find it much easier to reverse keeping an eye on the mirrors and front wings, and an ear on the beeping. The sensors do cover the corners well without picking up the car you're reversing next to, and the frequency of beeps increases proportionately to the distance (rather than in pre-defined steps) so you can 'hear' the distance diminishing.

If you are in the sort of driving environment where you never need to get closer than a couple of feet to anything behind you, then the sensors are probably a waste of time.

But if you park anywhere tight except your own garage (which you should know how to park in, and can take your time), anywhere with low posts, anywere with small children running around and leaving bikes lying around... I'd say, get em factory fitted. They aren't as much of an eyesore as a big dent, and you can't see them from the driving seat anyway!

I have valet parking at work. In the past 10 years, the rear bumpers of every singlr car I had were damaged. There all ended up with hex screw heads of the other cars license plates nicely imprinted on my bumpers. Therefore, I had to get the Park Assist to protect my new baby.

Quote:
    997 S Cab said:
    I have valet parking at work. In the past 10 years, the rear bumpers of every singlr car I had were damaged. There all ended up with hex screw heads of the other cars license plates nicely imprinted on my bumpers. Therefore, I had to get the Park Assist to protect my new baby.

Do you really think the valet will realize what the beeping is"
    "Hmmm....whats that noise?"

Quote:
    997 S Cab said:

Park Assist just protect your car against your own awkwardness...
    How to protect your babe against the other's awkwardness when you're gone ?
    With radars and machine guns ?
    For my own clumsiness, it would be great to have park assist on the rims, to not damage them against the sidewalk's borders when parking parallel, instead at the rear of the car ...

Quote:
    altak said:
    can you retrofit parking assist guys?

You can retrofit almost anything. Just make sure you are sitting down when you get the estimate at the service department. Oh, and make sure you have someone with you who can drive you home after the shock.

Spend the time and save your money by learning the boundaries of one smallest highest performance sports cars going 0.5 miles per hour.

Here ya go

What the be-jeezus is that? How do they look when installed? Is it like some sort of charriot-wheel accessory, useful for dismouting cyclists as you drive past?

Hey Stradale. I haven't seen those in years. Did you pick those up at Chinetti's?

Curb feelers...next you'll be posting clips of Saturday Night Fever or BeeGees mp3s...

mcdelaug

Thanks so much for the helpful info. If I go with the option and do not like it, is there a way to lower the sound of the beeping or turn it off and on when I choose? Is it programmable through PCM or with Sport Chrono?

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Spend the time and save your money by learning the boundaries of one smallest highest performance sports cars going 0.5 miles per hour.

Not a bad Idea! but if your time is worth more than the park assist option i'd say put 'em on!

Quote:
    tooner said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Not a bad Idea! but if your time is worth more than the park assist option i'd say put 'em on!

Come on dude. Are you saying you can't justify the time it would take to learn how to park your own car ?

And it's not just about the time it would take to learn how to park your own car. It's about KNOWING you have enough skills to park a car the size of the 997 without electronics.

If someone said- 'I'll give you $530 (cost for park assist)for you to learn how to park your own car in reverse within a inch' would you take it ? I would. You can park the front without hitting anthing, right ?

It's a PORSCHE ladies ! One of the most highly sought after high performance sports cars ON EARTH! Certainly you can find enough time to learn how to park this small sports car within an inch in the rear each and every single time. What would that take ? About 15 minutes worth of practice against a card board box ? I can understand the device for a woman in an Escalade but for a car that's suppose to say -SKILLED DRIVER ON BOARD ? For a car that sits you in such a great position to see outback and for a car that's the size of the 997 ????

This is not directed at you tooner. I think you're cool as hell. Just venting in general. I'll shut up now. And remain silent on this issue forever. Sorry.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761696 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434983 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260298 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257393 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80871 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5318 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871799 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807147 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM