Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

HELP: Eye problems. Which sunglasses??

I seem to be getting more and more dry eyes, probably from driving with the rag down.
    Feels like someone keeps blowing wind into my eyes from the side.
    Ever so slightly, but drying out my eyes nonetheless.
    Now it has gotten worse. Some days I can forget about driving open, and even closed my eyes are more sensitive than before, and it has become both annoying and impractical for me.
    I've invested in a pair of expensive sunglasses that cover the side of my eyes too. But they dont do the trick.
    Eye drops etc dont seem to work, so I was thinking if some of you have had the same experience and have a solution?

Apart from old-fashioned drivers goggles, can you get sunglasses that are more or less closed...like a skimask?

Help before I'm going Stevie Wonder....

Re: HELP: Eye problems. Which sunglasses??

You could try driving with your eyes closed. You might find it solves all your problems.

You want something like this fella....
    /uploads/121348-frog.jpg

What about some " Speedo " swimming goggles..

throt..

Quote:
    throt said:
    What about some " Speedo " swimming goggles..

throt..

A Speedo swimsuit should be a higher priority. That fella hasn't been censored!

There are a couple of models made by Costa del Mar that have a "closed" temple with a lens. I use their el pescador model on the water, but blue lenses are not great for driving. Serengetti and possibly Ray Ban have such models as well with lenses for driving. Of course goggles and the right "helmet" would provide a more vintage look.....

is the open top experience really that bad????

my first open top car hasnt arrived yet...

Quote:
    Malmsteen said:
    is the open top experience really that bad????

my first open top car hasnt arrived yet...

Nono, it's great. My eyes just seem to respond negatively to it.
    Might also be pollen allergy or something...who knows.
    It's just annoying as hell.
    Thanks for the tip on Ray Ban and Serengeti.
    Havent seen any RayBans that are closed, but will check it out.

Okley, many, many choices, be sure to get Polarised. Expensive but the best, RayBan are Glass & heavy.

I know Oakley has got some very "curvey" models which would cover area around your nose to the side of your face. Remember now, this is the company that makes specified sunglasses for both sking and beach volleyball, neither are "eye-friendly" sports...

You seem to have a condition known simply as "Dry Eyes". Your eyes will seem like they occasionally sting, burn and sometimes feel gritty or a foreign body sensation. The air conditioning or fan in the car will increase the discomfort. Besides a good quality pair of sunglasses, don't give up on eyedrops specifically designed for dry eyes. There are many drops on the market, a lot of them that don't help much. Try using better quality ones such as "Systane", "Refresh Tears" or "Genteal". Maybe put in a couple of drops in each eye before driving and again when symptoms arise. I am an optometrist so I know a thing or two about the eyes.

Quote:
    pols said:
    Okley, many, many choices, be sure to get Polarised. Expensive but the best, RayBan are Glass & heavy.

Polarised glassez are great for the glare factor but they do impede vision on your cars odo clock displays..

throt..

Quote:
    LPB said:
    You seem to have a condition known simply as "Dry Eyes". Your eyes will seem like they occasionally sting, burn and sometimes feel gritty or a foreign body sensation. The air conditioning or fan in the car will increase the discomfort. Besides a good quality pair of sunglasses, don't give up on eyedrops specifically designed for dry eyes. There are many drops on the market, a lot of them that don't help much. Try using better quality ones such as "Systane", "Refresh Tears" or "Genteal". Maybe put in a couple of drops in each eye before driving and again when symptoms arise. I am an optometrist so I know a thing or two about the eyes.

Hey LPB:
    Thanks a bunch!
    I was going slighly mad over this, and my doctor and (it seems) every other doctor in the neighborhood is on vacation, so it's hard even getting a diagnosis.
    Strange thing is that my eyes aren't red and there is no "residue" (dunno what that's called...) or other signs of problems. Just the feeling of wind in my eyes and an unstopple urge to close them every second.

I'll check the pharmacy and see what those canadian/US products would be called in Denmark. I already use something called Lacril [polyvinylacohol], "artificial teardrops" they called them at the pharmacy.
    Seem to help a bit, but not much.

So what's going to happen in the long run?
    Do I need these drops for as long as I drive a convertible?
    Or is it a mixture of wind in the eyes + a but of allergy that will decrease as fall/winter sets in?

This is what I LOOOOVE about this forum.
    No matter if you dent a rim, can't perform a powerslide or mess up your eyes...you can get a qualified answer

Heck, I can even help ya'll become sexual tyrannosauruses...just like me!

all of the optometrists i know swear by maui jim eyeglasses
    they are the most "optically pure" of all glass lenses
    not cheap, and i don't know if they are available in europe
    there is a cheaper line now that has plastic lenses, but i haven't asked anyone if they are good too

aloha

steve

Hey Dr.Phil,

In the long run you don't have to really worry about it. It may get a little worse with age but our corneas also become less sensitive with age so it counteracts that. Driving with top down or air conditioning WILL NOT cause it to become worse in the long run. Also, allergies can certainly cause ocular symptoms like intense itching and discomfort which would subside when the offending allergen is not there anymore. Certain medications are also known to increase dryness of the eyes. There is no real "cure" but all you have to do is to keep it undercontrol and subclinical (ie, having no symptoms) - think dandruff - no real cure just using dandruff shampoo to keep it controlled - similar idea. Hope that helps.
    Yes, Maui Jim are really nice sunglasses; great optics. Serengetti (they have a line called "driver's") are also nice

Quote:
    throt said:
    Quote:
    pols said:

Polarised glassez are great for the glare factor but they do impede vision on your cars odo clock displays..

throt..

Not mine not in any way, in fact they make driving much nicer, everything is so clear. Stage 3 polarised.

I don't think it's the wind or polls. It's yr "ex-girli" you still have in mind that was so happy to get a ride in yr "Audi TT" - that dries yr eyes....

Dude, you should see a doctor. Eyes are too important to good driving fun!

Quote:
    Yes, Maui Jim are really nice sunglasses; great optics

I second that. My eyes are both sensitive (Lasik) and dry, and the Maui Jim's work great. Been driving cabriolets for 13 years now, but I don't think that's a factor increasing dryness. Instead, I believe the biggest contributing factor are the countless hours I spend staring at a computer screen.

I confirm what Macsak and Ente said, Maui Jim sunglasses are outstanding.

I now have 4 pairs and they are all great. I have a pair that is very protective, use them to snow ski and when you go fast you don't feel the wind in your eyes. I wear contacts and my eyes are very sensitive. I drove a convertible 2 weekends ago for 4 days and we did about 1500km and they were just perfect. It was an old cab and the windscreen was just a "joke".

I also have another pair that is quite light (a bit pinkish) and they're great when the weather is grey as you get much better contrast and a much better perception of distances.

My next pair is highly likely to be a Maui Jim .... again.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690639 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409874 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256083 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235337 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65723 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4739 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858537 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774816 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM