Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Just test drove the Porsche 997s.Wow!

Just back from test driving the 997s, wow that car is somthing, this is my first prosche i ever driven, and let me tell you this car feels just as fast as my E55 from the stop, I loved everything about it, the firm suspension, the steering is just what i was dreaming of, It had cearmic brakes, but i didnt use them much because this car doesnt need no brakes, you can turn in any corner with any speed and it takes corners like nothing else i ever driven, it had this active suspension too, driven it on the highway and it picks up speed maybe not as fast as E55 but its enough to overtake!( or maybe because i downshifted not enough to build the revs up, didnt drive manual cars for ages) I belive when this car will be tuned to 400hp thats the power it needs. I'm not going talk about the looks because this is the best desing of the porsche ever, its just stunning, I had one in black/black. I also found the the clutch is not as hard as on P-turbo or previous models. Am i going to buy one? defenetly! But i really wish it would come 380hp standard.

Bottom line its not a car its a porsche!!!

Re: Just test drove the Porsche 997s.Wow!

If this is the first Porsche you have ever driven, how can you compare the clutch to previous models?

Hehehe...you've been contaminated with the P-virus.
    Dangerous and impossible to cure

I believe Vladimir may have been SITTING in a Porsche before and pressed the clutch without actually driving it?

Congrats on the decision.
    If I were you I'd DEFINATELY NOT tune it or tweak it before you have gotten used to the car. Its handling is so much fun, I think you will not miss the extra BHP. Plus tuning it will change its characteristics.

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:

I believe Vladimir may have been SITTING in a Porsche before and pressed the clutch without actually driving it?

I defenetly want one now indeed and yes I pressed a clutch in 996 turbo, and also long time ago in a 993 Carrera4 and i was like, Damn how do you realease the clutch withough stalling lol

I'm defenetly looking forward to driving the beast, and taking driving courses. Hopefully i'll get one by the end of the year!! Love it in black/black.

Quote:
    vladimir said:
    Hopefully i'll get one by the end of the year!!

Maybe you should place your order now? The wait may be long. We've been waiting about 4-5 months and the cars are just starting to trickle in.

Thanks for the enthusiastic and informed review.

Oh, maybe when you are ready to order the X51 (380hp) option will be finally available!?

can i ask you one thing, are those ceramic brakes any good, my salesman told me that the brake distance is the same, and that they last much longer, and i know myself they are better for the track use and they are lighter, are they worth ordering>?

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:

There are two cures available:
    1. wife
    2. getting old

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:

There are two cures available:
    1. wife
    2. getting old

Luckily there are antidotes to those cures:
    1) Shotgun + hole in backyard
    2) 20 year old blonde with big'uns.

ROFL

LOL!!!

@vladimir: why not just get the gt3 or turbo while you're at it?

vladimir,
    I would order the X51.

Good one Dr. Phil!

Glad to hear you you were impressed.
    Driving one is without a doubt the best way to become infected with the P-virus .
    From what I understand, the PCCBs don't improve stopping distance, but you'll really notice a difference at the track since they are virutally fade-free. It is an extraordinary setup, but one that costs a great deal of money. If you plan on going to the track often, it might be an option to consider.

How long do the ceramic brakes last, and how much does it cost to replace those discs?

I Agree with SVNSVN... Get the powerkit. that would/should bring acceleration up to E55 levels. correct me if im wrong

Quote:
    DamienL said:
    From what I understand, the PCCBs don't improve stopping distance, but you'll really notice a difference at the track since they are virutally fade-free.

So the PCCB is not worth the extra thousands if its just going to be an occasional track car.
    FWIW, I understand that the regular trackies do not really experience much brake fade with the Turbo (red) calipers too.

That's pretty much how I see it. I wouldn't opt for them if I were going to use the car mainly for the street. Even someone who tracks the car occasionally would probably be happy with the standard brakes on the 997s, which are the same as those used on the 996TT, I think.

When first released, the life of the PCCBs was said to be much longer than ordinary steel brakes, but extended track use has shown this not to be the case. I think the 997 gets an improved version, however, so hopefully some of the earlier problmens have been fixed.

Still, this option is expensive, probably more than $10,000CAN. Also, I have heard that replacement costs can be well over triple the cost of the original option, but havn't been able to verify anything.

The kickdown on an E55 (current model) is amazing, it would eat a 997s if the driver is not ready. I came up behind one and the guy floored it, i had to drop from 6th to 4th to catch him and it took a bit of time.

Driven the E55 on occassion and its no sports car. Steering is very numb, but loads up a bit. The car gives a very large, floaty boat feeling to it. The handling isn't even as good as the E500!

Stepping into a Porsche would be a lot more fun!

- J

The new PCCBs have been greatly improved, they are even used in Porsche's Supercup races and this should say something. They offer a more precise feel and they DO reduce stopping distances. Unfortunately most demo cars here in Europe have had the ceramic brakes AND the sport suspension which made it a bit difficult which part contributes to the superb handling in which way.

They should improve handling as well due to lower unsprung masses.

The only downsides nowadays are their current costs for initial order and replacement, once this should occur.

Volkswagen/Audi starts to use these brakes in the A8 W12 as well and this is just the beginning. One of the most forwarding developments since the introduction of ESP in my eyes!

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:

Congrats on the decision.
    If I were you I'd DEFINATELY NOT tune it or tweak it before you have gotten used to the car. Its handling is so much fun, I think you will not miss the extra BHP. Plus tuning it will change its characteristics.

I got hooked exactly the same way after 3 years of driving pleasure with my M3 I was asked to tag along by a friend looking to buy his dream car...

Then...WHAM............... after I took test drive I ended up getting mine first.

LOL...Dr. Phil

Like many viruses there is no cure but there are ways to help patients cope with the illness...

a. 997S CAB delivery!
    b. Break-in day! Get revs up to 7000!
    c. Install PSE and chuckle when you hear it growl!
    d. Sun in your face while cruising!

I'm glad to hear that the earlier problems have been solved.
    I guess there are always problems when innovative solutions are first introduced.

Quote:
    Ferdie said:They offer a more precise feel and they DO reduce stopping distances.

Do you think this has something to do with weight? I can't imagine extra clamping force mattering much in a 100kph-0 test, as the standard brakes should be sufficiently strong to lock up the wheels as quickly as PCCB. At that point it comes down to software, weight, and tire grip, no?

- J

Quote:
    Justin said:
    Quote:
    Ferdie said:They offer a more precise feel and they DO reduce stopping distances.

Do you think this has something to do with weight? I can't imagine extra clamping force mattering much in a 100kph-0 test, as the standard brakes should be sufficiently strong to lock up the wheels as quickly as PCCB. At that point it comes down to software, weight, and tire grip, no?

- J

Yes, Justin, I think you are right. The only benefit from PCCB should be better braking after many repetitions of the 100-0 test (fade resistance) and improved handling and forward acceleration from the reduced rotating/unsprung mass.

Also, if the pedal feel is significantly better with the PCCB and the ABS system is not that great, then it might have better stopping distances if you can better modulate the brakes right at the locking threshold without activating ABS...

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Yes, Justin, I think you are right. The only benefit from PCCB should be better braking after many repetitions of the 100-0 test (fade resistance) and improved handling and forward acceleration from the reduced rotating/unsprung mass.

Grant,

One thing I've noticed about my TSCab is that it rolls alot longer/better than any car I've ever driven, so I can travel much farther from a given speed coasting to a stop (e.g., when coming off a main road onto a flat side street or to a stop light), in other words, the car keeps going farther without enaging the drivetrain. Is there something about the design and assembly of the wheel/axle that P does better than most other cars, or could the PCCB contribute by adding less weight to the wheels that rotates, decreasing the friction at the axle? I don't recall the 997 without PCCB rolling as well.

Al

Quote:
    Al Pettee said:One thing I've noticed about my TSCab is that it rolls alot longer/better than any car I've ever driven, so I can travel much farther from a given speed coasting to a stop (e.g., when coming off a main road onto a flat side street or to a stop light), in other words, the car keeps going farther without enaging the drivetrain. Is there something about the design and assembly of the wheel/axle that P does better than most other cars, or could the PCCB contribute by adding less weight to the wheels that rotates, decreasing the friction at the axle? I don't recall the 997 without PCCB rolling as well.

Hmmm, not sure what to think of that. I would've thought that the car would roll longer with steel brakes since there is more inertia from the additional rotating mass (like a more massive flywheel). Maybe they use a better wheel bearing with the PCCB (or on the 996TS in general)?

I would also think that the increased inertia would allow you to roll longer. Isn't this a reason that lighter flywheels and engines with lighter components in general have very strong engine braking? Drive a go kart for example and you don't even need to brake for many corners in order to slow down dramatically. Maybe I'm confusing willingness to rev with compression.

Assuming we are talking about coasting in neutral, I suppose we'll have to examine all the variables. Couldn't say anything about the mechanicals of the car compared to other Porsches or other sports cars, but certainly the 911 TSCab is one of the heaviest 911s available. Maybe 600 .lbs more than a base 997.

- J

I think the heavier weight of the TScab would be the reason for it rolling so much while coasting as well.

Quote:
    vladimir said:
    [I defenetly want one now indeed and yes I pressed a clutch in 996 turbo, and also long time ago in a 993 Carrera4 and i was like, Damn how do you realease the clutch withough stalling lol

Exactly what I was trying to say a few weeks ago On the Porsche board.
    The 996's TT was a hassle. Especially bad sitting at a light on a steep hill. 997's is sooo much better.

Quote:
    Grant said:

Also, if the pedal feel is significantly better with the PCCB and the ABS system is not that great, then it might have better stopping distances if you can better modulate the brakes right at the locking threshold without activating ABS...

There would be a minimal improvement in braking distance on rough roads because of the tires being able to maintain better contact with the road surface, due to unsprung weights being reduced by 5kg (11 lb) per wheel.
    Wouldn't help on the billiard-table surfaces normally used for measuring braking distances though.

Dont know if this is something anyone else has noticed, but when you are coasting with zero accelerator but in gear(really noticeable in second), engine braking isnt noticeable until the revs drop below about 2000rpm. Below this, you can really feel the braking effect. Cant say Ive noticed this on other performance cars Ive owned in the past.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    765927 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    437521 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261510 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258341 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82887 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5337 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877712 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    810097 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM