Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Regular Corvette does Ring 8:15 in SportAuto Test

The base Corvette C6 supposedly did 8:15 on the Ring (Horst v. Saurma) and is published in the latest SportAuto. I believe all Euro cars have Z51 option, but some have Magenetic adjustable shocks instead of the Sport shocks of the US Z51 option. Those run-flat tires must be pretty poor...

Re: Regular Corvette does Ring 8:15 in SportAuto Test

Yeah, the tires must be pretty poor. That's an okay time, but certainly not up there with the best cars with 350-400hp. Then again, the standard C6 is less sporty than other versions of the car.

Did the previous Z06 do 8:00?

- J

Quote:
    Justin said:
    Yeah, the tires must be pretty poor. That's an okay time, but certainly not up there with the best cars with 350-400hp. Then again, the standard C6 is less sporty than other versions of the car.

Did the previous Z06 do 8:00?

- J

Justin - the previous Z06 did 7:56

Quote:
    Grant said:

CONFIRMED 7:56? I doubt it.

The tires allowed a lateral acceleration of 1.2 g, I doubt they aren't sticky. Also the german C6 version has a sportier "performance enhanced" chassis setup compared to the US model.
    Let me see: practically same weight like the 997 Carrera S, almost 50 horses more and 10(!) seconds slowlier on the Nordschleife? I'm impressed with the fact that the Corvette finally isn't that pimp reputation car anymore over here in Germany but I'm not too impressed with the performance.
    However: I think that for this kind of money, you can't get a better toy.

The standard C6 sells for less than $45k USD over here. But then again, for that kind of mind I'd rather have a Boxster or Lotus Elise. Both are much more fun and have more precision.

- J

Quote:
    Justin said:
    The standard C6 sells for less than $45k USD over here. But then again, for that kind of mind I'd rather have a Boxster or Lotus Elise. Both are much more fun and have more precision.

Justin - I agree. I would also add the Caterham to that list - had a trackday yesterday and they're alot of fun (but not nearly as practical as even an Elise).

I hear Ariel has started building kits in the U.S. Very fast machines and something I'd like to try one of these days. Unfortunately, a UK person told me they are not put together very well. Not street legal though.

If the Elise had more torque and a bit more hp, it would help the car quite a bit.

Out of all the track day specials, the Caterham still seems great to me. Plus you can drive it to and from which is a big plus. Will have to grab a ride in one some time.

- J

80,000 Euros, Z51 sport chasis, 400HP and 8:15... can't say I'm amused, I was hoping for at least 5-10 faster. So the new Z06 with 100HP more was rumored to lap the ring 35 seconds faster? 35 seconds? we are talking about a greater difference in the ring than from a base 997 carrera to a Pagani Zonda with 255HP more, cabon fiber chasis, etc ...

Why are 'Vettes so expensive over there? Taxes? Extra duty on American imports?

For that kind of money, I'm honestly surprised anyone buys them. That'll get you a 400hp, 2300 .lbs Noble, no?

- J

Quote:
    Justin said:
    I hear Ariel has started building kits in the U.S. Very fast machines and something I'd like to try one of these days. Unfortunately, a UK person told me they are not put together very well. Not street legal though.

If the Elise had more torque and a bit more hp, it would help the car quite a bit.

Out of all the track day specials, the Caterham still seems great to me. Plus you can drive it to and from which is a big plus. Will have to grab a ride in one some time.

- J

I heard that some people have registered the Ariel Atom too. The 300hp version looks scary!

The Caterham I tried yesterday had 200hp, weighed 1,300 lbs, and was street legal. It was one of the new wider chassis cars called SV (let my fat rump fit with ease), had a bunch of options, including LSD for $42k.

The new CSR is going to be built on the same wider chassis with 260hp and much more sophisticated suspension. The price will be ALOT more though - around $75k.

The US distibutor is just 2 miles from my house...

Quote:
    Justin said:

- J

Is the Caterham street legal in the USA?

I have no clue Justin, the Vette is in between a BMW M3 and a Porsche 911 pricewise in Spain

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    Justin said:

- J

Is the Caterham street legal in the USA?

Hey Grant, can you read my mind?

You answered my question before i asked it!

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:

CONFIRMED 7:56? I doubt it.

It was released by GM in a press release. Driver was John Heinricy. I guess they could've been lying, but seems unlikely...

Quote:
    fritz said:Hey Grant, can you read my mind?

You answered my question before i asked it!

Fritz - Yes, my other job is as a fortune-teller

Quote:
    Grant said:

So is the C6 Z06 going to do a 7:40 or not? LOL.

- J

Quote:
    Justin said:
    Why are 'Vettes so expensive over there? Taxes? Extra duty on American imports?

For that kind of money, I'm honestly surprised anyone buys them. That'll get you a 400hp, 2300 .lbs Noble, no?

Taxes are much higher than in the US, for instance 16% value added tax in Germany.
    But the real problem is low turnover of stock means higher distribution costs per unit means higher unit prices means lower sales, which is where we came in .......

Unfortunately, you don't see too many Nobles on the roads in mainland Europe either.

Slight change of topic, but I read somewhere earlier today that a limited number of Morgans are going to be sold in the USA.

Well, it would automatically be a limited number right?

Quote:
    Justin said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:

- J

LOL

Quote:
    Justin said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:

- J

I'm not that good. That's why it's only my "other" job

Quote:
    fritz said:Slight change of topic, but I read somewhere earlier today that a limited number of Morgans are going to be sold in the USA.

Fritz - Morgans have been sold here for decades - maybe so few that you didn't notice

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    fritz said:Slight change of topic, but I read somewhere earlier today that a limited number of Morgans are going to be sold in the USA.

Fritz - Morgans have been sold here for decades - maybe so few that you didn't notice

OK, back to the internet to see what the article really said!

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:

OK, back to the internet to see what the article really said!

It's possible that they stopped importing them for awhile and just started again - I haven't been paying close attention...

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:

Well, what's new is that eighty two Morgan Plus 8s are to be shipped to the USA in Dec 2005 till Jan 2006, fitted with Detroit Ford 6-cyl., 3 liter, 225 hp engines. Price to be 73,950 US$ plus freight and local taxes.

Cars are fitted with driver / passenger airbags and AC. In a Morgan!

Does Morgan build 41 cars a month, or will they have to build up stocks through the rest of the year?

Quote:
    Grant said:
    The base Corvette C6 supposedly did 8:15 on the Ring (Horst v. Saurma) and is published in the latest SportAuto. I believe all Euro cars have Z51 option, but some have Magenetic adjustable shocks instead of the Sport shocks of the US Z51 option. Those run-flat tires must be pretty poor...

I think this is a bogus report by SportAuto. Every comparison test I've read (Amercian and International)between the 911S and Corvette have them performing with nearly identical results. And now out of the blue, it's some 12 sec. slower than a 911S with PASM. Something doesn't add up.

Also, if the C5 Z06 did the 'ring in 7:56 sec, why is there a nearly 20 sec. differential with the C6 corvette, when they both have the same hp and torque?

Quote:
    Justin said:

- J

Not...

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:

Well, what's new is that eighty two Morgan Plus 8s are to be shipped to the USA in Dec 2005 till Jan 2006, fitted with Detroit Ford 6-cyl., 3 liter, 225 hp engines. Price to be 73,950 US$ plus freight and local taxes.

Cars are fitted with driver / passenger airbags and AC. In a Morgan!

Does Morgan build 41 cars a month, or will they have to build up stocks through the rest of the year?

How can a Plus 8 have a V6? Doesn't the name imply a V8 (or am I wrong)? I remember the Plus 4 had a 4cyl...

I don't know how this came up, but I have sixth sense that knows when Morgans are being discussed (I've got a'95 Plus 8). From what I understand, the new car is called the Morgan Roadster, not Plus 8. It's got the Ford V-6. A dealer told me that they are only selling 82 because they have exactly 82 Federal air-bag laden steering wheels left over from the now defunct Federal Plus 8. I'm intrigued by the folding top which looks fairly twentieth-century-ish (and was also carried over from the newer Plus 8s) but air conditioning in a Morgan is kind of silly. If you've never driven a Morgan, the driving experience is just as archaic as the aesthetics. I love mine, but may sell it if the 997 Turbo looks potent.

The Morgan is a reputable car. Any carmaker that makes side windows a option is ok in my book.

The 6cyl Morgan price mentioned above does not include
    Federal Excise taxes, Import Duties and shipping. I spoke
    with the SoCal dealer earlier this year and he said all
    up it would come close to 90K.

If you have never driven a Morgan, you should. The lowness to the ground, the cutaway doors, the ride and noises all make it feel like piloting a WW1 Biplane. They are really great fun.

Definitely not for the feint of heart or those seeking a Lexus like sports car experience.

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    I think this is a bogus report by SportAuto. Every comparison test I've read (Amercian and International)between the 911S and Corvette have them performing with nearly identical results. And now out of the blue, it's some 12 sec. slower than a 911S with PASM. Something doesn't add up.

Also, if the C5 Z06 did the 'ring in 7:56 sec, why is there a nearly 20 sec. differential with the C6 corvette, when they both have the same hp and torque?

svtrader1, there are no bogus reports from Hurt V. Saurma. Those nearly identical results you mention were staright-line acceleration results, subjective reporter's impressions, or real track results? cause this is a nurburgring track comparison, and we have talked before about the differences between the ring and any other track as well, the ring is as close as it gets to the "real world".

As to the C5-Z06 7:56 time, for one the Z06 is a sportier setup than the C6 evethough they have similar HP/torque, and second the 7:56 time is GM's "claim" in testing, not a Saurma/SportAuto Supertest time, so not comparable.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:

svtrader1, there are no bogus reports from Hurt V. Saurma. Those nearly identical results you mention were staright-line acceleration results, subjective reporter's impressions, or real track results? cause this is a nurburgring track comparison, and we have talked before about the differences between the ring and any other track as well, the ring is as close as it gets to the "real world".

As to the C5-Z06 7:56 time, for one the Z06 is a sportier setup than the C6 evethough they have similar HP/torque, and second the 7:56 time is GM's "claim" in testing, not a Saurma/SportAuto Supertest time, so not comparable.

The supposed time was also achieved with a redesigned suspension (for 2004 I believe). I'd like to see that car and put it on a dyno.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    779052 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442208 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263083 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261363 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85594 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5787 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881063 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817387 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM