Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Boxster S experience of a former 996 Turbo owner...

...and current 997 Carrera S owner.
    It may be interesting for a lot of people how my experience with my wife's new Boxster S has been over the past two weeks and over 750 km.
    To make it short:

1. the Boxster S is incredible fun, especially in twists and turns
    2. PASM works really well on the Boxster S, you get both worlds
    3. steering feel is a bit more direct and less "light" compared to my Carrera S
    4. the automatic tranny works extremely good, I never missed the manual (which is surprising, especially since my bad experience with the Cayenne Turbo auto tranny). Very spontaneous reaction, especially in the chrono sport "sport" mode. Instant acceleration from standstill, very nice.
    5. no traction problems, the PSM (ESP) light came on just once when it was wet (rain) and in a curve. Even if I fully accelerate from standstill through a curve, no PSM light coming on and no traction problems at all. Impressive.
    6. exhaust/engine sound a bit too subtle at lower rev figures but changes too sudden in a sound "inferno" which shocks most pedestrians and bystanders. A more "linear" sound would be nicer but it definetely doesn't need a sport exhaust at rev figures over 3500 rpm.
    7. handling in extreme driving situations and at high speeds in curves a little bit tricky, especially with the chrono sport "sport" mode turned on. Not as forgiving and predictable as the 997 Carrera S, pretty close to a sudden 360 degree spin (caution!).
    8. roof operation at speeds up to 50 kph works great but it is annoying that if you hit below 10 kph, the roof stops.
    9. nail braking roof release lock setup, my wife hates it and I almost broke a nail too and my nails are pretty short.
    A 911 Cab-like system would be nicer, no need of releasing the roof lock by hand, it works fully automatic.
    10. people seem to like the Boxster S a lot, it is an eye-catcher and especially now when the sun shines and I drive topless, people can't stop starring.
    11. especially Audi and BMW drivers seem to feel provoked, never got so many "racing provokation" attempts in my entire life. Maybe those guys really think that 280 HP aren't really fast. Well: it is fast enough for 99% of the encounters I had.
    12. the Boxster S definetely needs 30-40 HP more, not more and not less. 310-320 HP would have been perfect in my opinion, the engine lacks a power "boost" in the upper rev range.
    13. two bad experiences with 911 drivers, one 911 (a model before the 964 and apparently with wider aftermarket tires and a stupid looking aftermarket rear wing) driver almost hit me by putting himself in a very stupid manner in front of me and afterwards keeping me at a constant speed of 60 kph behind him for several kms. When I moved to the right at a stop light and he was right next to me on the left lane, this guy asked me if my "girlie Porsche" eats fuel or perfume. When the stop light changed to green, he tried to race me but guess what, I was almost a car length in front of him when I hit 80 and had to slow down. He passed me and accelerated further, he was pretty mad. I was laughing my pants of at the next stop light but surprise surprise, this guy didn't look at me anymore.
    14. the second bad 911 encounter was with a 996 Carrera at the fuel station, the driver asked me with an arrogant smile if I really like this "toy". I won't comment on what he said when he saw the auto tranny but one thing: I never knew that some of my fellow 911 drivers can be THAT stupid.
    15. fuel consumption is around 16.4 litres / 100 km when driving hard with chrono sport activated. But around 13 litres are possible too when driving "normally". Remember: my wife's Boxster S has an auto tranny.
    16. the 18'' Michelin Sport tires are very sticky, similar to the 997 Carrera S 19'' version. I also don't miss 19'' wheels on this car, the 18'' look good too and they provide a very sporty driving experience.
    17. the standard brake is great. I don't really miss the PCCB braking power, just the brake feel and the better braking "dosage" appyling capability of the PCCB.
    18. the sport seats have a great side grip and are comfortable too when switching PASM sport mode off.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the Boxster S and I'm surprised how well the auto tranny works, even in extreme driving situations. I just wish this car had 30-40 HP more, it would be absoluttely perfect, even with the auto tranny.

Re: Boxster S experience of a former 996 Turbo owner...

Good to hear your views and praise for the car. I think the roof lock might loosen up with time - mine has. I have found the body control to be a little unnerving when traveling at about 50-60mph round a fast bend with undulating road surface (bumps and camber changes) with the PASM in Normal. I find myself switching to Sport PASM in these cases, as the PASM doesn't tighten things up quick enough, or has conflict between selecting a softer setting (because of the bumps) and stiffer (because of the 'rolling' undulation of the road itself). The car's rear seems to wobble about a lot, feeling like it's going to break traction. That's the only thing I'm not sure about with the PASM. Would love to hear your views. I have the 18's also.

Being a 996 TT and 987 Boxster owner myself I second pretty much everything you said. About arrogant (or better ignorant) 996 owners: I seriously thought about getting a bumper sticker for my 987 which says: "My other car is a 996 Turbo!"

It's kinda strange that e.g. 996 C2 owners don't realize that they're driving around in a car which is not half the fun, a 987 is.

Quote:
    RC said:13. two bad experiences with 911 drivers, one 911 (a model before the 964 and apparently with wider aftermarket tires and a stupid looking aftermarket rear wing) driver almost hit me by putting himself in a very stupid manner in front of me and afterwards keeping me at a constant speed of 60 kph behind him for several kms. When I moved to the right at a stop light and he was right next to me on the left lane, this guy asked me if my "girlie Porsche" eats fuel or perfume. When the stop light changed to green, he tried to race me but guess what, I was almost a car length in front of him when I hit 80 and had to slow down. He passed me and accelerated further, he was pretty mad. I was laughing my pants of at the next stop light but surprise surprise, this guy didn't look at me anymore.
    14. the second bad 911 encounter was with a 996 Carrera at the fuel station, the driver asked me with an arrogant smile if I really like this "toy". I won't comment on what he said when he saw the auto tranny but one thing: I never knew that some of my fellow 911 drivers can be THAT stupid.

Some men buy the 911 to bolster a poor self-image. Any man that buys a Boxster does it for the pleasure of driving.

mcdelaug

well said!

Quote:
    mcdelaug said:
    Quote:
    RC said:13. two bad experiences with 911 drivers, one 911 (a model before the 964 and apparently with wider aftermarket tires and a stupid looking aftermarket rear wing) driver almost hit me by putting himself in a very stupid manner in front of me and afterwards keeping me at a constant speed of 60 kph behind him for several kms. When I moved to the right at a stop light and he was right next to me on the left lane, this guy asked me if my "girlie Porsche" eats fuel or perfume. When the stop light changed to green, he tried to race me but guess what, I was almost a car length in front of him when I hit 80 and had to slow down. He passed me and accelerated further, he was pretty mad. I was laughing my pants of at the next stop light but surprise surprise, this guy didn't look at me anymore.

Some men buy the 911 to bolster a poor self-image. Any man that buys a Boxster does it for the pleasure of driving.

mcdelaug

As one of the many men waiting for my new "girlie" Porsche to be built, I couldn't agree more. Of course I'm used to driving girlie cars, says the owner of multiple Miata's. I've also had the fun of castrating, on the track, a few of those "stud" cars with my girlie car.
    Paralizer

As one of the many men waiting for my new "girlie" Porsche to be built, I couldn't agree more. Of course I'm used to driving girlie cars, says the owner of multiple Miata's. I've also had the fun of castrating, on the track, a few of those "stud" cars with my girlie car.
    Paralizer

Hearing that, my Boxster absolutely refuses to race against yours now!

I've certainly found here in the UK that some 911 drivers simply HATE having a Boxster in front of them. I've had several instances of a near high speed collision where I've been overtaken by 911's in stupid, blind and dangerous places and on one occasion I had to do a crash stop to allow the clown to pull back in to the correct side of the road to prevent a head on crash. All 996 drivers, by the way.

Quote:
    paralizer said:

Paralizer

The whole modern sports car movement started with pipe smoking, scarf wearing dainty Oxford- educated " girlie men " in the late 1940s /early 1950s scooting around country lanes in England in those itty bitty low powered MGs and what not - that eventually were brought over here by US service men stationed in Europe after WW2.

Compare that to the " manly - men " grappling their moonshine running coarse handling V8 sedans around the American south that became NASCAR -style definition of " racing " here. .

There you have it in a stereotyped nutshell - European effete " finesse " vs American " macho " mobiles like monster trucks / SUVs and big motored high TQ sedans with rumbling exhausts that can't turn left or right .... like current AMGs , lol !

I find everybody wants to overtake me regardless, cars & vans, must go off & brag to mates/mate, hey I overtook a Porsche, I am really cool / Fast. Really could not care, running my car in & know if I wanted too lose my license, no prob.

Yesterday one of the aboved mentioned T***ers in a BMW 3M bullied me on main Dublin to Galway road & eventually went bye in face of oncoming traffic, 2ks later Blues beside the road & going nowhere. Justice, yeha

That must be very satisfying, pols.

I have the same problem, usually Corsas or Peugeot 206's

In a sick kind of way, I am really looking forward to this when I get my car in Oct. I really REALLY want the Corsa brigade to have a go. Not, you understannd cos I want to race them, but to rise above it everytime and pull away from the lights REALLY slowly and watch them wring the crap out of their 1.2 SRI (whatever).

I'm also looking forward to having them tailgate me on a quick B road or Motorwa and then slow down to really frustrate them. I KNOW m car will be quicker, and I certainly won't have to prove it. I admit, I may occasionally drop into 3rd and leave them for dead, but usually its funny just looking across at the lights and laughing at their 206 with aftermarket rims and an Alpine stereo from Argos.

These people are dregs and really shouldn't be on the road. It is FAR more exciting to watch them make twats of themselves, rather than get pulled in and then nicked by the pigs.

But its easy to preach from here. I guess I will never know how to react till I have some ASBO youth up me arse in a Saxo. I don't imagine I will always behave, but I really have to try. Its not worth your license. To be honest, Porsche drivers shouldn't even take these people into consideration.

996 drivers on the other hand, why should they feel threatened by a 987. Is it cause it handles better and that the S isn't too far off it in terms of grunt?

Frankly, they have a far larger problem that may require medical help.

Cheers,

JZ

Quote:
    JZ said:
    In a sick kind of way, I am really looking forward to this when I get my car in Oct. I really REALLY want the Corsa brigade to have a go. Not, you understannd cos I want to race them, but to rise above it everytime and pull away from the lights REALLY slowly and watch them wring the crap out of their 1.2 SRI (whatever).

I'm also looking forward to having them tailgate me on a quick B road or Motorwa and then slow down to really frustrate them. I KNOW m car will be quicker, and I certainly won't have to prove it. I admit, I may occasionally drop into 3rd and leave them for dead, but usually its funny just looking across at the lights and laughing at their 206 with aftermarket rims and an Alpine stereo from Argos.

These people are dregs and really shouldn't be on the road. It is FAR more exciting to watch them make twats of themselves, rather than get pulled in and then nicked by the pigs.

But its easy to preach from here. I guess I will never know how to react till I have some ASBO youth up me arse in a Saxo. I don't imagine I will always behave, but I really have to try. Its not worth your license. To be honest, Porsche drivers shouldn't even take these people into consideration.

996 drivers on the other hand, why should they feel threatened by a 987. Is it cause it handles better and that the S isn't too far off it in terms of grunt?

Frankly, they have a far larger problem that may require medical help.

Cheers,

JZ

Absolutely and in complete agreement.
    Self control, mmmmm

Quote:
    RC said:10. people seem to like the Boxster S a lot, it is an eye-catcher and especially now when the sun shines and I drive topless, people can't stop starring.

Did your wife write this?

Quote:
    Texsun said:
    Quote:
    RC said:10. people seem to like the Boxster S a lot, it is an eye-catcher and especially now when the sun shines and I drive topless, people can't stop starring.

Well...

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    Texsun said:
    Quote:

Well...

I guess people would be staring also if RC were to drive topless...hehe.
    Twisted old bugger

Thanks for the review RC.

Quote:
    17. the standard brake is great. I don't really miss the PCCB braking power, just the brake feel and the better braking "dosage" appyling capability of the PCCB.

The 987S brakes are growing on me. At first, I wasn't too thrilled about the lack of the immediate 911ish bite, but after a couple of serious stop manoevres (all of them successful and some granting those silly English wabbits a longer life ), I'm much more confident that they perform well. They just seem to need a bit more stepping on.

The Boxster S is a terrific car but sadly its image precedes it. You could have a 340 hp engine in it and you will still get the same reaction often from 911 owners; that the car is not a true Porsche.

It will be interesting to see how the Cayman is viewed. I have already heard comments from the public and some magazine writers that it is a Boxster coupe. The fact that it outperformed the basic 997 on the Ring is ignored. It may be in for some tough sledding.

That's just the image of an entry level car I guess... sad but true. But I can live with it, just have to drive with a hot girl in the passenger seat to compensate

Quote:
    nberry said:
    The Boxster S is a terrific car but sadly its image precedes it. You could have a 340 hp engine in it and you will still get the same reaction often from 911 owners; that the car is not a true Porsche.

It's the ooooold debate again.
    It's not THE original Porsche, but neither is the 911.
    In 10 or 20 years the Boxster will have same status - and some other new Porsche will be the black sheep in the family.
    It's kinda like these small villages in the countryside, where you have to live 50 years te get accepted and NOT be called "the newcomer".
    To be honest, I think it's more of an ego-thing than a question of Porsche religion.
    "My 911 is more expensive than your Boxster. You're inferior to me".
    I dont think it's anything else than that.
    Besides: Who cares? I love my Boxey regardless of what 911-owners might say or think.
    Havent met anyone in here who thinks less of the Boxey...or at leawst I havent heard anyone SAY it.

I try and make sure that only models are in the passengers seat when I drive anyway :-D ... I just get weird stares in Midtown if a guy is in the passenger seat...I suppose there's a time for the top to be up...

All the power to you my good man :-D In many ways you're better than the real-life Dr. Phil!

PCCB vs. standard brakes. The stopping distance in optimal conditions pretty much comes down to the tires and weight of the vehicle. The rest of it is heat management, feel, etc. The clamping force is largely irrelevant, as I'm sure even the standard brakes have no problem locking up the wheels without ABS very quickly. So if this is true, the standard brakes are still quite good.

BTW, those supposing that RC's wife has written this post: No comment on breaking his nail? Come on!

- J

talking about price.. between 987S and 997..

it isnt a very big gap...

Quote:
    Malmsteen said:
    talking about price.. between 987S and 997..

it isnt a very big gap...

Only an extra 45%, not very big at all!!

oh oops..

i mean including option...
    order one soon with a only 10k different in price with the base 997 :P

i could of gotten a 997 for 5k extra. decided not to cuz i hate driving base model cars.

That's not really comparing like with like. Surely anyone that would load up a 987 with options wouldnt want a base price 997

Saw a Boxster S at a local dealer with MSRP of $73k USD. The base price in the US is around $53k. The person who specced it out went overboard IMO.

The base model perception is funny IMO. At the 996 introduction, there was no S model.

- J

Yeah, Porsche understands their customers psychology quite well I think...

mcdelaug

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    765233 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    437168 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261372 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258176 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82744 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877450 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809674 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM