Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Illuminating Door Sills

Do any of you know of available illuminating door sills (blue or white Apple computer type glow preferable) ? I am going to ask my custom shop (the one I always rave about) to see if they can do it for me except it would def. cost more. Mercedes illuminated sills aren't that expensive retrofitted - any opinions?

Re: Illuminating Door Sills

A little tacky, in my opinion...

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Do any of you know of available illuminating door sills (blue or white Apple computer type glow preferable) ? I am going to ask my custom shop (the one I always rave about) to see if they can do it for me except it would def. cost more. Mercedes illuminated sills aren't that expensive retrofitted - any opinions?

No offense AJ, but are you sure you want to do that?

mcdelaug

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:

Hmm. Sounds if it has all the style of an aerokit.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:

Hmm. Sounds if it has all the style of an aerokit.

Can you get them to blink intermittently? You know, like Christmas tree lights.

The soft glow of the Boxster S logo on the door sill would be a very cool, subtle effect..it works well on Mercedes models...

Why? Why would you want to do this? You only see it for a second as you get in. And then it's only going to be obvious at night. No-one you drive past is going to see it. It doesn't help you get in the car any better...
    Why don't you paint 'BoxsterS' in neon down the side of your car instead?

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    The soft glow of the Boxster S logo on the door sill would be a very cool, subtle effect..it works well on Mercedes models...

Together, no doubt, with a set of matching fluffy dice hanging from the rear view mirror.
    /uploads/119381-kiss_dice.gif

Seriously, Castaneda.
    You really oughtta consider getting an oled Vette instead...or maybe a Trans Am. It's definately a matter of taste, and mine is in no way better than yours, but Porsche and neonlights do NOT match IMO.
    Like getting one of those New York cabdriver massage seats...for your Bentley.

Here are some other ideas along that line:

How about this?
    For your dash. Looks awesome!

Or this...?
    Will make any woman want your body instantaneously!
    (Hope you're not picky about the KIND of woman who will get turned on by this...)

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    Why? Why would you want to do this?

WHY!??? OH, tell me WHYYYYYYYYYYYY?!???????!?!?!

Well AJ, you wanted some opinions...had enough?

mcdelaug

Okay remind me to never bring up the topic of illuminated door sills ever again haha

So this wouldn't appeal to you (Porsche instead of the Mercedes shown of course)

No! ... We are mean, aren't we?

I don't know that it's all that bad of an idea--I don't htink he means for them to be a neon show, I think he just wants them to glow like any of the other dash illumination.

Considering how excited you all were about the little blue LED that shines light down onto the dash and the ones that light up the door handles, why would you be so down on AJ for wanting to add a little more of that sort of subtle pizazz?

Not my cup of tea, but if someone made it and it was around the price of the aluminum door sills, I wouldn't be disgusted by it at all.

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    So this wouldn't appeal to you (Porsche instead of the Mercedes shown of course)

Well, it's not exactly neon-ugly, but it belongs on a limo. Not a Porsche IMO.

This forum is sort of a Henry Higgins...and I guess you're Eliza
    We will do our utmost to teach you good manners and exquisite taste.
    Repeat after me "the rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain"...

It's a disco-item is what it is.

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Okay remind me to never bring up the topic of illuminated door sills ever again haha

I think the're being too hard on you so I will jump in and say my x-mother-in-law had the lit doorsills on her Mercedes and she really liked them, so there!

Quote:
    GM Austin said:
    I will jump in and say my x-mother-in-law had the lit doorsills on her Mercedes and she really liked them

I don't think you're helping the case for glowing sills any! (Perhaps that was the idea?)

In a Mazda RX8, I think there's an option to get the top of the gear stick to light up, illuminating the gate pattern. A lot of people found this made the gear knob uncomfortably hot to hold...

Sometimes lights serve no useful purpose.

Your mother in law?! Okay, forget it, I'll save the door sills for when I buy a Mercedes...which will probably be never simply cause at each price point I can find a Porsche I would rather have :-D

There you are then. Your friends at Rennteam.com have saved you money.

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Your mother in law?! Okay, forget it, I'll save the door sills for when I buy a Mercedes...which will probably be never simply cause at each price point I can find a Porsche I would rather have :-D

I just knew that the mother-in-law argument would finally settle things.

Wonder how I could make use of that tactic in "real life" situations?

Quote:

.... that's x-mother-in-law, which carries more weight I think. Don't go seeking one just for that purpose though; way too much trouble!

Quote:
    GM Austin said:
    Quote:

.... that's x-mother-in-law, which carries more weight I think. Don't go seeking one just for that purpose though; way too much trouble!

I had noticed the "x", but cannot personally make use of extra leverage this addition might lend to my argument, if I should ever use this gambit.
    Since I value your judgement highly, I'll have to respect your advice and not actively work towards changing the situation.
    Which also rules out using this tactic in trying to assert myself in the company of my better half.

Quote:
    GM Austin said:
    Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:

I think the're being too hard on you so I will jump in and say my x-mother-in-law had the lit doorsills on her Mercedes and she really liked them, so there!

I've not met your ex-mother in law, but this seems like "damning with faint praise" to me.

mcdelaug

Quote:
    Which also rules out using this tactic in trying to assert myself in the company of my better half.

Exactly! This tactic could go a long way toward the actual acquisition of an x-mother-in-law!

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:

Now there you go Sir... Money saved for performance upgrades!

AJ, you are redeemed against all those who tried to put you down for this idea.

I looked at the Tequipment catalogs for the Boxster and Cayman today. Porsche now offers illuminated door entry guards. They light up in white.

I only have the Boxster part numbers in front of me:

Stainless steel with Boxster logo:
    987 044 800 27

Stainless steel with Boxster S logo:
    987 044 800 33

Carbon fiber with Boxster logo:
    987 044 800 35

Carbon fiber with Boxster S logo:
    987 044 800 36

Apparently you and I weren't alone on this one. People wanted it and Porsche listened. I'm sure it's way too expensive to actually consider as a purchase, but hey, at least they've done it.

(I also saw in the Cayman catalog that you can get silver-colored intake ducts along with those silver front spoilers and the silver mirror arms.)

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776854 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441584 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262707 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260850 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85132 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5521 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880572 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815732 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM