Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Help - UK owners with Sat Nav - have you managed to get TMC.

...to work ?

I've had the car for 3 months and having just finished reading the PCM manual again, I noted that TMC is supposed to appear as an option on the INFO screen - it doesn't on mine.

Is this normal ? Anyone know how to enable this ?

Thanks in advance and hope you're all enjoying your cars - I'm still waiting for my chrome pipes.....

Rgds
    Prashan

Re: Help - UK owners with Sat Nav - have you managed to get TMC.

Prashan,

I am using TMC here and apparently, as far as I understand how the system works, TMC messages are brought to the PCM via your favourite radio station and a RDS sub-channel. This means that if you are not listening to a radio station that is transmitting trafic information, you don't see the INFO option on the screen. I understand that in the UK, GWR, Capital Radio and Chrysalis are transmitting such signals.

Hope this helps

According to the British Porsche Club forums, the TCM doesn't work in the UK.

I've never managed to get TMC to work in the UK on my car either. But, it does work whenever I go to other European countries by car.

When will Britain become a real part of Europe ???

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    When will Britain become a real part of Europe ???

As soon as you start driving on the "right" side of the road and calculate things with real measures.

The problem seems to be with the DVD discs rather than the hardware. Apparently, we will all have to purchase new DVDs to make it work at a cost of Pounds150. The current maps are well out of date. There are roads missing which have been open over 3 years!!

Quote:
    stewart997 said:
    The problem seems to be with the DVD discs rather than the hardware. Apparently, we will all have to purchase new DVDs to make it work at a cost of Pounds150. The current maps are well out of date. There are roads missing which have been open over 3 years!!

Must say that this annoys me. I am often told by the sat nav to go down a route that is either closed or for which a new better alternative road has been built eg the M6 Toll road is the obvious one. Is it really Pounds150 for a new DVD?

If it is true that it's the dvd's being out of date that is causing TMC not to work in the UK that is unacceptable for the prices we are charged for these cars in the UK. I had TMC on my last car, a BMW 530d (latest model) and it was enabled by a software upgrade to it's i-drive system and a new nav dvd. It did not rely upon being tuned in to a radio station that broadcast TMC info. I still have the BMW dvd rom disc so I'll try it in the Porsche. It's made by Navteq so it might just be compatible. If it works I'll be writing to Porsche GB to ask why, after buying 2 brand new cars this year, they have provided out of date dvd's with both vehicles.

Quote:
    Ed J said:

Must say that this annoys me. I am often told by the sat nav to go down a route that is either closed or for which a new better alternative road has been built eg the M6 Toll road is the obvious one. Is it really Pounds150 for a new DVD?

What is the version of the DVD you have received ?

Quote:
    Nico997 said:
    Quote:
    Ed J said:

Don't know - how do I tell?

My dealer is checking with Porsche GB to obtain the formal " no it does not work in the UK" - which I will take up with Porsche, as per ISUK's comments - ridiculous indeed.

http://www.teleatlas.com have updated NAV DVD's for most makes, but nothing for our version of the PCM. Friend of mine bought the upgrade DVD for his Merc S-Class - works a dream and includes additional features such as post code address search capability.

Rgds
    Prashan

UPDATE: The official answer from Porsche UK

Pre 2006 MY cars were supplied with an old Nav DVD. All MY2006 cars are shipping with an updated DVD which has the TMC function working for the UK market.

Dealer has confirmed that Porsche will ship these updated Nav DVD's for free to customers with MY2005 cars - expecting mine within 2 weeks.

Chase down yours now !!!

Regards
    Prashan

Re: UPDATE: The official answer from Porsche UK

Quote:

Mine is a 2004 DVD (think Nov). Car is MY05. I'll go take up the issue with my OPC, thanks for the tip.

Quote:
    ISUK said:
    I still have the BMW dvd rom disc so I'll try it in the Porsche.

Be careful. The disc supplied for the late 2005 Porsche models is different than the disc supplied for the earlier cars. The cars that are MP3 capable will shut down the PCM if the older software is installed.

The Nav disc on my Jan 05 build Boxster S is way out of date. The M6 toll road is not on the disc, for instance!

TMS is only available on the very latest PCM equipped cars. How I wish I hadn't bothered with PCM and just bought TomTom.

Prashan can you get any details from your dealer such as a bulletin number or letter from Porsche to confirm they are doing this? I bought my 997 from Silverstone and my Cayenne from Edinburgh which are both OPC's but would you believe both salesman I dealt with have left!

Thanks for that Prashan. I've just fired an e mail off to my OPC quoting your comments. He knows I am unhappy about the old DVD and no TMC.

I've just got a very quick response from my OPC :-

"Having just spoken to Porsche technical regarding this matter they have informed me that the update has just become available for Model Year 2005 987's. It hasn't yet been listed on the parts system and is rumoured to be a few hundred pounds...! It has been confirmed that it will not be for FREE. (sorry)" I guess it will be the same answer for 997's.

I guess that "FREE" and "PORSCHE" do not sit well together

Dreamcar - make a fuss with your dealer as I have confirmation from mine that they will supply this free to me - shouldn't be any different for other customers.... will post confirmation when I get it.

Stephen - thanks for your comments RE: compatibility - will raise this with dealer during installation.
    Rgds
    Prashan

PS - just got to 1000miles on my car and I will be trying the rev counter pas 4krpm for the first time..... can't wait

Quote:
    Prashan said:
    Dreamcar - make a fuss with your dealer as I have confirmation from mine that they will supply this free to me - shouldn't be any different for other customers.... will post confirmation when I get it.

Prashan, would you mind telling me who your OPC is? If I go back to mine (Bournemouth) half cocked they will be sure to ask?

Many thanks

Its Porsche Centre Cambridge

Thanks - I shall now have a conversation with Bournemouth and do most of the talking

Interesting info - my OPC is Chiswick and I will phone them up about this tomorrow.

dreamcar - let us know how you get on?

Will do - but I don't expect my OPC will cave in readily. Let me know the answer from your OPC, please, the more dealers responses the better, providing they are the right response, of course.

Ed, let me know how it goes please. I'll contact Porsche Colchester where I got my car but my regular service dealership is Chiswick as well.

I spoke to OPC West London this morning and the salesman had no idea about whether there was a new sat nav DVD. He initially said he didn't think there was, and that the car's DVD were no more than a year old, but I pointed out to him that my DVD didn't show the M6 toll road which has been around for a while.

He suggested that I speak to Porsche GB at Reading about this. Does anyone know their number? Alternatively, has anyone had any luck with these guys?

Telephone call back from my dealer this morning, there is a cost implication, it is not just a case of a new disc but also a software upgrade in the PCM to accept the new disc and to incorporate TMS. Because it has only just been released, there is no price available yet but guidance figure is " a few hundred pounds".

The frustrating thing is that dealers say what they think rather than what they know. They are adept at implying guesswork is fact.

Frankly, I find it hard to believe that a software upgrade is required, and it may be that we have to wait until someone gets an upgraded DVD before we know the answer to this one.

Perhaps a little group e-mail to Autocar might get us a result. Anyone care to write it and take names/cars bought from those of us interested on the board to add to the list?

I have just phoned customer care at Porsche GB (based in Reading). The lady told me that they are not sending updated DVDs to any customers. They do have updated dics with the TMC functionality but I would have to pay extra for this (and it would be ordered in the usual way from the parts department).

I said that I had a friend who was being sent an updated DVD from OPC Cambridge for free - she said that this was an issue between the OPC and the individual concerned - basically implying that this was given for free to compensate for something else.

I asked for an address to write to to complain - she gave me the following:
    Bath Road
    Calcot
    Reading
    Berkshire
    RG31 7SG

I suggest that we all write a quick letter to this address to try and get the message across. Autocar can follow if we don't get anywhere.

Anyone else had any luck?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777446 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441785 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262808 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261011 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85271 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5592 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880692 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816071 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM