Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Seriously considering trading coupe for cab - any thoughts?

I am very seriously considering trading my '05 Arctic Silver/Black coupe for an '05 Arctic Silver/Gray cab. I absolutely love my coupe but have always loved convertibles, most recently an '01 Boxster that, second to my coupe, is the best car I've ever owned.

Any thoughts?

Patriot
    '05 Arctic Silver/Black

Re: Seriously considering trading coupe for cab - any thoughts?

Don't hesitate, the cab is almost as stiff as the coupe? it only gives you the extra joy of driving topless and appreciating more the heavenly sound of the flat6

Re: Seriously considering trading coupe for cab - any though

This is your call. Personally I'm a coupe guy all the way.

I had a 996cab back in 2000, and I loved every minute of it. especially if you have the right weather.

I choose a 997s coupe this time around because it rains every day 5 to 7 months out of the year here. I didn't want to expose the cab top to the rain

And because 911 are rare, having a coupe gets a bit less attention when i had the cab.

With the severe trade in depreciation hit and the 2.8% 2006 price increase, you might be better off finding a nice pre-owned Boxster to compliment your coupe.
    You should run the numbers...

My first convertible Porsche was a '73 914. It wasn't designed too well and the wind would beat you to death at highway speeds. This kept me from buying another convertible for many years. Then we rented a convertible while on vacation in Hawaii and I realized that not all convertibles beat you to death. At the time I owned a 993 coupe and decided I wanted to buy a cab. I waited until the 996 cabs came out and got the first one to arrive at my dealership. I have loved cabs ever since and can't imagine going back to a coupe. I appreciate the look of the coupe and would probably agree that it looks better, but it doesn't provide half the fun. If you live in an area where you can take advantage of the cab it is the way to go. It is a great convertible....you can hold conversations and listen to the radio at highway speeds. It also makes an pretty nice coupe....with the top up it is quiet. I remember when I bought my 996 there were road tests that showed the 996 cab (with the top up) was quieter at highway speeds than the previous generation 993 coupe.

So, I look at the cab as the best of both worlds. An excellent convertible and a pretty nice coupe.

Phil

The profiles of the cars look different. Coupe looks gorgeous. Cab looks so so.
    The rag top creases and chafes and looks worn as time goes on.
    Car never looks gorgeous when top is up.

A compromise that makes sense in SoCal, but other parts with moody seasonal weather it may not be worth "suffering" the issues I listed above. I went thru the same pros and cons and decided on a coupe.
    It's a tough call to make for yourself. Good luck!

Oh come on now, the coupe isn't HALF the fun on the cab?

I say, rent a Boxster S once a month for $300. It would be about the same price. Course, if money is not an object, just buy a new C4S or C2S Cab.

C4S Cab .. the ultimate in fun and performance ........

love my cab, coupe is ok if you want to save money

Two very different concepts,
    I'm about to do the switch but the other way round.
    Depends how you look at it.

Aesthetics are subjective, so we can't judge for you, personally I think the coupe is much more beautiful than the cab, the cab has always had that fat bum since the 996. The original 911 concept is a coupe 2+2. Cab was just an addition to add sales (and rightly so.)

If you plan to the track the car seriously then, the coupe makes sense, cab is ok but not as rigid and heavier.

Coupe is arguably more practical as the rear seats are not as upright as on the cab, more storing space behind the seats too.

Ultimately it's really up to you, I realised that after three years of ownership of my 996 cab, I hardly take the top down, in central paris, you really too much like like a moron so you cant' do it, at high speed, too much noise, can't do it, but at moderate speeds on country roads, granted, it's amazing!

They are plus and minus points for the cab version anyway, question of tastes, for me, in the end, I've opted for the more sporty concept, it's not a coincidence if the -20mm sport chassis is not available on the cab.

And over the years, the image problem really bothered me.
    In France, when you drive down the road in a cab sports car, you're seen as a bit of a hair dresser, it's irrevelant, but don't make it worse by having your arm dangling down with you gold rolex on it!

The 997 coupe looks gorgeous, if you want to have a gorgeous looking cab get the Boxster instead of the humpback whale

Quote:
    Zürich said:
    The 997 coupe looks gorgeous, if you want to have a gorgeous looking cab get the Boxster instead of the humpback whale

It's very sad but I agree as well.
    When I switch from the Boxster S to the 996 cab, my old man (who's not a cab fan) told me:
    And that's supposed to be the better model? It's not as cohesive as your first porsche! What's with the fat back and those fake rear seats?
    Ultimately I didn't care, it was faster, sounded better and had the Carrera name on its back, but it never looked as good, true.
    It's very subjective though.

i would definately go for the cab, the depreciation on a cab isn't as quick as a coupe. and it is just so much fun being able to take the roof off when the weather allows it!

speaking of weather, depends also where you live, we have 39 weeks of sunshine out of 52! so a cab is a must!!

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    speaking of weather, depends also where you live, we have 39 weeks of sunshine out of 52! so a cab is a must!!

Thank you so much for reminding some of us that we live in a crappy climate zone.

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Quote:
    Zürich said:

It's very sad but I agree as well.
    When I switch from the Boxster S to the 996 cab, my old man (who's not a cab fan) told me:
    And that's supposed to be the better model? It's not as cohesive as your first porsche! What's with the fat back and those fake rear seats?
    Ultimately I didn't care, it was faster, sounded better and had the Carrera name on its back, but it never looked as good, true.
    It's very subjective though.

Let's hope for a Cayman RS Convertible

Quote:
    Matt C said:
    Quote:
    Mike S said:

Thank you so much for reminding some of us that we live in a crappy climate zone.

Switzerland has the perfect climate for a cab. I lived for 5 years in the caribean, every day 30 degrees and sunshine. Trust me you don't wanna drive in a cab there!

Except the front, the 911 cab and the 911 coupé are two different cars.
    The line of the coupé is much more pure IMO, than the line of the cab. The line of the boxster seems more pure too because it's not an extrapolation of another car.
    The advantages of the top down are counterbalanced by the fact you can use it only by cruising at relatively low speed, and a 911 is made for something else !
    And when the weather is really hot you better close everything and use the AC
    So I would never change my coupé for a cab, even if the cab was much cheaper. If I wanted an open car, I would buy a nice roadster : the boxster S, for example, never a cab.
    Now if it was a gift, maybe I wouldn't say no...

I also agree, the coupe is the pure 911 style, the cab is the chopped-up un-cohesive compromise so that you can get a tan, feel more wind, and put yourself on display. Myself, I drove convertibles as daily-drivers from 1988 to 1999. Somewhere along the way, I got very used to top-down driving. It kinda got to be like "whooptdy-friggin-doo, the top is down, golly-gee, somebody pinch me..." (in my best sarcastic voice, of course). Since I retired my Saleen S351 convert (which in its defense, was a no-compromise convertible, in that it looked superb top-up and top-down, unlike the 911), I've been a coupe man. I still LOVE, on the right day with the right weather, to take one of my convertibles out to play. Either the Saleen, or one of my older classics. As it is with many things, when you do something less frequently, it becomes more special and enjoyable. But driving a convertible daily, for me, became just a big bore. Even still, if the 911 Cab were a better looker, maybe I would still have one just so I'd have the flexibility. But it isn't, IMHO. The basic upside-down bathtub design simply is not conducive to chopping the roof. What you wind up with, I find to be in no way shape or form elegant. Whereas the coupe is a thing of art and beauty. Some cars work better as coupes, others better as convertibles (Mercedes SL, BMW Z8). For some I suppose, they get such a woody driving with the top down, they either just don't care about the styling compromise, or they talk themselves into liking it better to justify their addiction. In other words, so flipped-out and in-love with the idea of a convertible, and driving a convertible, that they would think a drop top cargo van was attractive through their misty-eyed glasses. In any event, there's my totally un-filtered opinion!! Let the angry retorts begin!!!

I like coupes more than cabs, but I was just outside work in Chiswick on this (rare) hot sunny day, and there was a black 997S cab parked outside a cafe with the roof up - and you know what, it looks absolutely gorgeous!

Sorry for not taking a pic...

I think a lot of it depends where you live. I wouldn't recommend a cab for Seattle. I'm having more fun with my 997 S Cab then I ever had with my 996 Turbo coupe. A Porsche coupe is fun to drive but with the cab it becomes impossible not to look for the further destination on a nice day. On a nice spring or summer day I rather be out on my motorcycle then 'COUPED' up in a car. With the cab you get the BEST OF BOTH WORLDS. As a car nut I love to enjoy driving but now I can enjoy the outside as well. It's a fantastic feeling driving the new cab. The first day I picked up the car my wife and I took a 2 day trip up to CT. It would have been fun in a new coupe but we wouldn't have come home looking like we just went to Aruba )On the 4th. of July I took my wife and kids to the beach. It was such a nice day. Since we were in the convertible I found myself looking for the furthest beach possible. The kids loved it, the drive became more of a tour then a drive, looking around at the different sites. It didn't matter to anyone when we were going to get there. It was FUN and that's what it should be about. One of the other reasons I went with the cab was to make my commute more interesting. Driving in to work now it doesn't matter to me 'WEATHER' I'm sitting in traffic or not. Top down, sun on my face, who cares.

In terms of performance differences in the coupe vs. the cab they're so minute w/ the 997 it would take a race track and drivers above my ability to really show any difference.

In terms of looks, I agree the coupe has nicer lines compared to the cab when the cabs top is up but when the top is down the cab looks so much cooler then the coupe. And you really get to appreciate the looks and quality of the interior with the top down.

The biggest reason though imo for getting the cab is the way it feels carving up a country road. When you're accelerating, taking turns and driving the 997 like what it was made for the cab gives you a feeling that is - MORE FUN !

Oh,,,,,,,,, almost forgot - There's also the SOUND of the exhaust and engine in a CAB....... Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

Good luck w/ your decesion

Where you live makes all the difference. When I had my Boxster the wife decided we were getting too much sun between the car and the boat. The boat stayed and the Boxster went. Next Porsche will be a coupe. That flat six does sound great in the open, but so do twin 7.4L V8s

Quote:
    Matt C said:
    Quote:
    Mike S said:

lol, but you have such beautiful mountainous roads in swizterland which we don't have here unless you are willing to drive 300km from where i live

Quote:
    Fanch said:

In France, when you drive down the road in a cab sports car, you're seen as a bit of a hair dresser, it's irrevelant, but don't make it worse by having your arm dangling down with you gold rolex on it!

What a hell is wrong with being a hairdresser... I love being a hairdresser for 25 years,the more while it made it possible to me to buy the car i'm in love with since childhood...(965,993T,996cab,997Scab).And no, i'm not having an arm with rolex dangling out of my sidewindow, and yes, I do adore the sound of the flat6 revving above 5500rpm roaring along our countryroads.
    And above this: I love the 997,allowing me to close the roof while driving , so when we approach our village we can close the top, so no one has to think there's a rolex for sale, dangling out of the window...

Yes , there are hairdressers appreciating porsches for what they stand for... otherwise they wouldn't read this forum every day...

So, this beeing said, I love my cab, and for anyone who has second thaughts of it's driveability, challenge me on a circuit, i'll show you my (car's) tailpipes

Or... you could as well wait one year and get a Targa

Quote:
    beltar said:
    What a hell is wrong with being a hairdresser... I love being a hairdresser for 25 years,the more while it made it possible to me to buy the car i'm in love with since childhood...(965,993T,996cab,997Scab).And no, i'm not having an arm with rolex dangling out of my sidewindow, and yes, I do adore the sound of the flat6 revving above 5500rpm roaring along our countryroads.
    And above this: I love the 997,allowing me to close the roof while driving , so when we approach our village we can close the top, so no one has to think there's a rolex for sale, dangling out of the window...

Yes , there are hairdressers appreciating porsches for what they stand for... otherwise they wouldn't read this forum every day...

Nothing wrong with Hairdressers at all, my partner is a hairdresser and I totally respect the profession, I was referring to it as a generic comment, sadly, as you are aware, it's about the image of hairdresser.
    Hope you see what I mean, like when people say, the Z3 was a hairdresser's car, or the Mini is a woman's car. Not harm intended.
    I share your thoughts on cabs Beltar, I've owned two for the passed 5 years, the pleasure they give is immense, but they also suffer from an image problem, as both you and I actually close our top when we get closer to our neighbourhood!

The 997S Cab is a beast. I have had mine for one month, 1600 miles. I don't really care what it looks like with the top up (it actually looks pretty good, in my opinion) since the top is always down! My only minor concern with the car is at speeds over 100 mph there is quite a bit of wind buffeting, so generally for now if I am going to try to go very fast I will put the top up. When I get over 2000 miles and start to track it, I will be interested in the top up/top down comparison. As said before..it's a 997..and a convertible...best of both worlds!

The best cab driving is on a warm summer evening. That open air feeling when you drive on a winding road thru the forrest you will never have in an (airconditioned)coupe. No wonder Formula 1 cars are convertibles too

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Quote:
    beltar said:

Nothing wrong with Hairdressers at all, my partner is a hairdresser and I totally respect the profession, I was referring to it as a generic comment, sadly, as you are aware, it's about the image of hairdresser.
    Hope you see what I mean, like when people say, the Z3 was a hairdresser's car, or the Mini is a woman's car. Not harm intended.
    I share your thoughts on cabs Beltar, I've owned two for the passed 5 years, the pleasure they give is immense, but they also suffer from an image problem, as both you and I actually close our top when we get closer to our neighbourhood!

No image problem for the cab in my area, thankfully. And if there was one I would never care enough about what other people thought to actually influence my car buying decesion. Proud wearer of different Rolex's too. Have no idea if there is a Rolex image problem , don't care. The only Rolex problem that I know of in detail was that when I was younger I wanted a Rolex but couldn't afford one.

ps: I had no-idea hairdresser's made that kinda money. Good for them.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777164 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441677 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262772 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260942 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85205 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5567 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880641 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815916 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM