Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Option XXZ "Footrest in Aluminum" is a JOKE!

Granted, this is one of Porsche's frivolous cosmetic options, not big money either... *Footrest in Aluminum* (factory opt. XXZ, $250 USD).

The aluminum comprises only the outside perimeter of the dead pedal. The other 95% is the regular black rubber.

C'mon Porsche, how easy would it be to have a nice contoured piece of brushed aluminum fabricated at same $250 cost?

Re: Option XXZ "Footrest in Aluminum" is a JOKE!

STOCK footrest for comparison:

eh..., so what? Those are ugly strictly functional parts of the car. Why try to doll them up? And for $1/4K, they suck.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    eh..., so what? Those are ugly strictly functional parts of the car. Why try to doll them up? And for $1/4K, they suck.

MMD I know you've mentioned your preferring more minimalist black 997 interior-- tremendous, I am getting Black also, but just IMHO the alum interior bits look good as accents, including pedals.

or maybe I need to absorb more Brancusi minimalist sculpture?

All Porsche's "bits and pieces" whether they be leather, carbon, wood, or aluminum are very expensive. Whether they are "worth it" is strictly subjective, the subjectivity markedly enhanced by the price.

If you look closely, you'll see that the rubber pad is actually different. Not that it's a big deal, I'm just pointing it out. I'll admit, I would also be expecting something a bit different from that option. But now that I see it, what they were obviously shooting for was an upgrade that made the dead-pedal a "mate" to the other pedals down there. Your $250 was spent so that your dead pedal carried the same aluminum-trim design as the clutch and brake.

Hey, you should have seen me at the dealership when I came to pick up my car trying to figure out what my $1550.00 E36 Aluminum Look Pkg Switch Panel option was comprised of. At first glance, all I could tell that was different was that the plastic bezel surrounding my gauges was painted silver. For $1550 bucks?? WTF??? Then I went on to figure out that the E36 package was more about extra LEATHER. My a/c vents are upholstered in matching-leather, and my defroster vents and center-dash speaker are upholstered in stitched leather. It's very distinctive looking, it definately classes-up the dash, and I wanted to do SOMETHING to make my interior "custom-tailored" since I was special-ordering the car for me, and wanted to take advantage of at least one silly indulgence from the long Porsche option list. In an age of "Preferred Equipment Groups", I get a kick out of being able to outfit my car JUST the way I want it, like it's 1969 all over again. So I understand why you popped the $250 bucks on a place to tap your boot to the stereo. The question you need to ask is, if you had it to do all over again, would you still check that option box, or would you have rather kept your two-fifty? I'm happy the way my car turned out, and in retrospect, I should have splurged on a few more things like the console and steering wheel controls. It's like the old spoof ad Saturday Night Live did for "Glimmer".... "No Jane, Glimmer is a floor wax, AND it's a desert topping!!!" Your Porsche is a serious performance machine, AND it's a fun-as-hell big-kid's toy.

Quote:
    Damian said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

MMD I know you've mentioned your preferring more minimalist black 997 interior-- tremendous, I am getting Black also, but just IMHO the alum interior bits look good as accents, including pedals.

or maybe I need to absorb more Brancusi minimalist sculpture?

LOL!

There's just too many bits and pieces. Why add more? It's okay though. It's personal. I'm just tired of all the junk surrounding me in life. Miust come with mid-life crisis.

Ahhhhhhh, isn't this something? No "bits and pieces!"

In Europe the extra charge for XXZ option is 150 Euro + local VAT...so...

hahahahahahahahahahahaha.... let me get go get some air

honestly, they really do try and squeeze every cent out of you don't they?

Quote:
    Mike S said:

Precisely Mike...

....but you're missing the fact that it is a special compound of rubber that grips the left foot better at high cornering "G's"; of course made by Bridgestone, not Michelin.........

Quote:
    Mike S said:

and then SOME!!!

Helloooooooooooooo, when Porsche is charging 4800.00 for Natural Brown Leather Upgrade. where most 100k cars, leather is standar..... what difference does 250.00 make for a foot rest? Who needs it anyway? Want it? Buy it? But this is not the option to question... others to consider
    1. why are not most upgrades standard and just raise the price?
    2. Why not onstar as Audi and I think Volkswagen have it?
    3. Why not a blue tooth system for phones which works easily in the USA?
    4. Why not change the back of the rear seats as BMW 3 series so they work.
    5. Why not a cargo net on the back of front seats?
    6. Why no XM or Sirrius ?

This is a Porsche, my first one in 1980 had just a radio, and i was thrilled, cost 30k for targa. They have come a long way.

Pedal trim is simply emblematic of all of these a la carte items such as extra-cost leather, power seat, TPMS, PSE, mats, emblems-- the whole thing ought to work more like the Silverseas cruise ship we had the good fortune to take to St. Kitts & Nevis in the Caribbean.
    Stratospheric cost, but absolutely everything was included....jet ski & watersports, golf, fifteen French chefs on board 24/7 for regular meals and room service, top notch spa service. There were no 'extras'....I long ago wrote off the lack of bluetooth and sat. radio as the price to pay for the mechanical genius of the car--probably the exact sentiment anticipated by Porsche marketing.

There IS a limit and it's not outrageously bad. A while ago I speced a car with absolutely everything a hypo-reasonable person would want, massive carbon package, leather and paint to sample, every performance option, etc etc. Well folks it turns out you can't spend more than us$50K on options from the 997/S order guide!

Us$50K is even more reasonable when you figure most "average" guys spend us$10-15K on options anyway

So a 997/S with "everything on it" is pretty cheap: us$130K.

Damian,
    Don't know if that is a 'special' but I have the aluminum footrest and paid $81.80 from suncoast incl shipping

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=P&Category_Code=996int

Quote:
    MMD said:
    There IS a limit and it's not outrageously bad. A while ago I speced a car with absolutely everything a hypo-reasonable person would want, massive carbon package, leather and paint to sample, every performance option, etc etc. Well folks it turns out you can't spend more than us$50K on options from the 997/S order guide!

Us$50K is even more reasonable when you figure most "average" guys spend us$10-15K on options anyway

So a 997/S with "everything on it" is pretty cheap: us$130K.

Porsche has the most clever options marketing and pricing
    in the world.

Porsche presents a attractive and very comprehensive menu of options. Its so enticing, that its easy to make customers feel lacking if they dont order from it.

Is a zero option Carrera S really less of a sports car than one with 15K or 20K of options?? Noooooo. With Porsche the mere availability of their options compels people to buy them. I think its a love thing.

Who else could get away with charging $650 to cover sunvisors with leather??

Is there $650 in leather and labor put on them? Noooooo. But Porsche makes it possible, and anything Porsche makes possible customers want, and it just adds more to the 13 Billion Euro Porsche and Peich family fortune.

I dont think that they ever dreamed that they would have such success in asking so much from their customers and easily getting it. Times are good for them!!!

It really is an incredible business story.

Affirmative Jim Flat6!

Quote:
    SVNSVN said:
    Affirmative Jim Flat6!

Ditto Jim Flat6, thats why all I order is the performance mods and leave the fluff to the others.

Guys,

I have no clue about the reasons but the alum. footrest in Europe costs 174 Euros...

The fact that Porsche offers you to cover about any piece of the interior in leather doesn't make you pay more. The 997's interior has become valuable enough by standard that you don't have to order these options - opposed to its predecessor, in my eyes.
    Please tell me which car is more sophisticated or built more dedicatedly? The only one that comes to my mind is AstonMartin and I those cars are not targeted on a price-sensitive customer group as well!
    This doesn't mean I wouldn't want to see more std. options by Porsche.

Interesting Brancusi sculpture! From what I've seen from him this is one if not the most influencing sculpture, isn't it?

Greetings!

Besides that most options increase weight and therefore lower the performance. Another reason not to tick every particular box...

Having seen the photo of the aluminium footrest, I really can't see why anyone would want it. I think the aftermarket pedals available are nicer.

Ferdie, have you seen the interior of the Pagani Zonda, Carrera GT, Ferrari F430 or the Bentley Continental GT ? They're really beautiful too. Although I would be the first to point out that the Zonda and Carrera GT are in a totally different price bracket...

Hi Easy Rider,

in fact all of these cars are in a different price bracket!

I haven't seen the CGT's interior in detail, so I couldn't discover the build quality. It does seem to be pretty massive and solid though - kudos to build a hyper-sportscar with such a fabulous interior!

The Zonda's interior is definately well done but it is a bit over the top design-wise. I would want to change a few bits and pieces - the overall impression and performane of this car is undeniable superb though.

Haven't seen the F430's interior in person, so can't judge on that one. Based on the pictures and previous Ferraris I'd say its on one level with Porsche's 996?

The Bentley Continental has a nice and plush interior, but it didn't really speak to me. Might be that I have been unfocused while talking but it did not really strike me. Something was lacking...

I am still fond of the 993's interior. It might be ancient looking but had an outstanding build quality. I remember a relative's fully loaded C4 cab with wooden dash panels (something I would mind) which had been fabricated on a top-notch level. I'd say Bentley wouldn't do this any better...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778473 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442122 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262998 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261286 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85532 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5746 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880962 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816767 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM