Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Attention July-builds: interesting news

My 2006 (zero-six) 997S was built end of June. I heard it's on the ship heading to California.

Any news from other "july-builds?"

Re: Attention July-builds: interesting news

Congrats MMD
    My car is on the ship now too (car completed on 6/24/2005 and was told it got on the ship 7/6/2005 yesterday) do you know when did you car got on boat and what is the name of the vessel?

I'm in California too.

Quote:
    alin330 said:
    Congrats MMD
    My car is on the ship now too (car completed on 6/24/2005 and was told it got on the ship 7/6/2005 yesterday) do you know when did you car got on boat and what is the name of the vessel?

I'm in California too.

Nah, no further info, didn't ask. Didn't want to be a PITA. If he knew he'd have told me. It's on a ship that Porsche uses with VW.

I figure I'll just wait for "The Call" at end of month?

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    alin330 said:
    Congrats MMD

I'm in California too.

Nah, no further info, didn't ask. Didn't want to be a PITA. If he knew he'd have told me. It's on a ship that Porsche uses with VW.

I figure I'll just wait for "The Call" at end of month?

Just a guess, but based on the info that the cars were just loaded on a ship destined to San Diego I think they may be on the Phoenix Leader due 7/24 or the Pioneer Leader due 7/27. You can go to www.sdmis.org/schedule to check on these ships. They will give you info that looks like this:

"Pioneer Leader 07/27 unkn 07/27 unkn Long Beach, CA 24-04 Disc Automobile, Local PASHA PSH VWT PA"

Both of these ships are operated by Volkswagen Transportation VWT and could contain Porsches. Your dealer should be able to give you a vessel name soon after the cars depart Germany and you can track them into San Diego by going to the Port of San Diego website I mentioned above.

Phil

My guess is that it will be the Phoenix Leader. The last few ships from Germany have stopped in Jacksonville Florida (http://68.153.231.26:8181/schedule/schedule.asp) just prior to San Diego and not Long Beach. I am on the shipment right before yours (Sagittarius Leader) - and the ship arrives San Diego 7/8.
    By the way, I plan to check out the webcams (http://www.sdmis.org/view/allcams.phtml) - so that I can watch some of the process (not zoomed enough to see much detail, I'm afraid!)

Quote:
    vtach88 said:
    My guess is that it will be the Phoenix Leader. The last few ships from Germany have stopped in Jacksonville Florida (http://68.153.231.26:8181/schedule/schedule.asp) just prior to San Diego and not Long Beach. I am on the shipment right before yours (Sagittarius Leader) - and the ship arrives San Diego 7/8.
    By the way, I plan to check out the webcams (http://www.sdmis.org/view/allcams.phtml) - so that I can watch some of the process (not zoomed enough to see much detail, I'm afraid!)

Since it takes about 20 days to get to San Diego from Germany there are only two choices currently showing inbound to San Diego, the Phoenix Leader and the Pioneer Leader. Here are all the ships due into San Diego for the next several weeks:

Sagittarius Leader 07/08 21:30 07/09 16:00 Jacksonville, Florida 24-05 Disc Automobile, Local PASHA PSH VWT PA
    Dole Ecuador 07/09 08:00 07/13 18:00 Caldera, Costa Rica 10-02 Disc Bananas SSA NLI TSI BHS
    Jean Anne 07/11 16:00 07/12 18:00 Honolulu, HI 24-05 Load (All) PST TNC PHTL USA
    Rainbow Wing 07/12 18:15 07/13 16:00 Japan 24-10 Disc Automobile, Local PASHA NLI ACT PA
    Bright State 07/13 unkn 07/14 unkn Honolulu, HI 10-02 Disc Machinery PASHA TNC ECL PA
    Reina Rosa 07/13 unkn 07/13 unkn Panama Canal 24-02 PST TNC PI
    Reina Rosa 07/13 11:00 07/14 unkn Panama Canal 24-02 Load Machinery (not electrical) PST TNC PI
    Eiger 07/14 unkn 07/16 unkn Guayaquil, Equador 10-02 Disc Bananas TBN NLI BCL LI
    Thorseggen 07/14 03:00 07/14 18:00 Long Beach, CA 10-05 Disc Newsprint MTC PSH NORSK BS
    Star Evanger 07/15 unkn 07/16 unkn Los Angeles, CA 10-07 Disc Calcium Nitrate SSA GSC STAR NX
    Ivory Arrow 07/15 01:30 07/15 16:00 Port Hueneme, CA 24-04 Disc Automobile, Local PASHA PSH K-LINE BHS
    Splendid Ace 07/15 09:00 07/15 16:00 Japan 24-10 Disc Automobile, Local PASHA KNS MOSK PA
    Cielo Di Vancouver 07/15 22:00 07/19 unkn Kosichang, Thailand 10-06 Disc Cement METRO TNC DLINE IT
    Star Derby 07/16 unkn 07/18 unkn Los Angeles, CA 10-07 Disc Calcium Nitrate SSA GSC STAR NIS
    Aquarius Leader 07/18 unkn 07/19 unkn Emden, Germany 24-05 Disc Automobile, Local PASHA PSH VWT PA
    Sea Wave 07/20 08:00 07/20 16:00 Chiba, Japan 24-10 Disc Automobile, Local PASHA PSH K-LINE MA
    Trojan Star 07/20 12:00 07/23 unkn Adelaide, Australia 10-02 Disc Oranges MTC PSH SREEF BHS
    Gold Indus 07/22 unkn 07/23 unkn Japan 10-02 Disc Machinery (not electrical) PST TNC E.C.L. PA
    Phoenix Leader 07/24 unkn 07/24 unkn TBN 24-04 Disc Automobile, Local PASHA PSH VWT PA
    Jean Anne 07/26 unkn 07/27 unkn Honolulu, HI 24-05 Load (All) PST TNC PHTL USA
    Pioneer Leader 07/27 unkn 07/27 unkn Long Beach, CA 24-04 Disc Automobile, Local PASHA PSH VWT PA
    Bright State 07/29 unkn 07/30 unkn Panama Canal 24-02 Load Machinery (not electrical) PASHA TNC ECL PA
    Scottish Star 08/05 unkn 08/07 unkn Adelaide, Australia 10-02 Disc Oranges MTC PSH SREEF BHS
    Nelvana 08/06 unkn 08/08 unkn Canada 10-07 Disc Sand SSA GSC M.B.C. VAN

You need to look for ships operated by VWT and there are only four on the list. I would bet that if their cars were loaded around July 6th it will be on one of those ships. My car came on the Pioneer Leader straight from Germany with no stops back in April. I guess some stop somewhere on their way in to San Diego.

Phil

I just stopped by my dealer today and my 997S had just been completed this same day 07/07! 4 days earlier than the original completion date we had. now we wait for it to get here.

How long does it usually take to get here?

I didn't obsess over this delivery process until I ordered my 987S - they gave me a completion of July 25, shipping out July 26...

Turns out what I was told months ago about June cars being 06's was correct after-all.

CONGRATULATIONS MMD!
    Not too much longer now.
    I've had such a great experience with my new 997.
    No problems and above my driving expectations.
    One of the things that makes the car so much fum imo is it's ability to thread. You can easily toss this car around and thread it between cars or lanes so easily. The car almost seems to shrink around you (in a good way) and you feel so connected with the car. I've had many different sports cars but the 997 is by far the easiest, most fun and most confidence inspiring sports car I have owned. The combination of self adjusting suspension, varible steering and mega grip and seating position make it a blast to drive fast but so liveable as an everyday commuter. I'm in love with the way this car handles. It's hard to explain but there's a certain connection to the pavement with the 997 that you just don't get with other sports cars. There's not another car that I rather drive everyday.............Not at least till the 997 TT cab arrives.

ps: Please put in lots of pics when you pick her up.

Quote:
    Fred 993C4S said:
    I just stopped by my dealer today and my 997S had just been completed this same day 07/07! 4 days earlier than the original completion date we had. now we wait for it to get here.

Another baby born.
    Congrats Fred.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Yeah baby yeahhhhhhh! Thanks for the encouragement Stradale. I'll try to borrow a digital endoscope and post views never before seen on the board. Dang! I could kick myself for not researching the availability and possibly ordering the optional gold-plated intake ports.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Fred 993C4S said:

Another baby born.
    Congrats Fred.

Thanks! My car is Vin # 451. I was surprised how many 06's Porsche had already built and it was only July 7th, my 05 Lotus Elise was built 4 months into Elise production and is only vin" 147! Porsche must be cranking these babies up in a hurry before the break even though my daler keeps on telling me that he can't get any 997s and in fact they don't have a single one in the show room for one to see. Another thing that struck me as odd is how many CGTs they had! 4 Silver and 1 black, and they were all sold, where is everyone making this kind of money????? Does anyone also have their vin and born date so we can figure out how many 997 Porsche is making per day?

Quote:
    Fred 993C4S said:
    Does anyone also have their vin and born date so we can figure out how many 997 Porsche is making per day?

I took a Zuffenhausen factory tour on Wednesday and could see the production figures of the first shift on a monitor. IIRC, that were 74 out of 73 planned cars. About 32 of them were Boxsters, the rest were 911s. Assuming that they do another 70+ cars on the second shift, they build more than 80 911s a day. From what I have seen on the production line almost all 911s are 997 now. According to our tour guide maximum production would be 180 cars per day.

How do you get the number of the car from the VIN again?

I too went by my dealer yesterday, my car is in production and will be finished on Tuesday. Apparently, b/c of the holiday, Porsche has stepped up production according to my dealer.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    How do you get the number of the car from the VIN again?

Here is the breakdown of what the VIN means (each item represents the respective order of your VIN):

1. World Manufacturing Code
    2. Manufacturer
    3. Model Type
    4. USA/Canada Body Type
    5. USA/Canada Engine Type
    6. USA/Canada Retraint Type
    7. Vehicle Type Designation
    8. Checksum Digit
    9. Manufacture Year
    10. Assembly Plant Location
    11. Vehicle Type Designation
    12. Body/Engine Code
    13. Next four + digits are the car's serial number

Phil

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Turns out what I was told months ago about June cars being 06's was correct after-all.

CONGRATULATIONS MMD!
    Not too much longer now.
    I've had such a great experience with my new 997.
    No problems and above my driving expectations.
    One of the things that makes the car so much fum imo is it's ability to thread. You can easily toss this car around and thread it between cars or lanes so easily. The car almost seems to shrink around you (in a good way) and you feel so connected with the car. I've had many different sports cars but the 997 is by far the easiest, most fun and most confidence inspiring sports car I have owned. The combination of self adjusting suspension, varible steering and mega grip and seating position make it a blast to drive fast but so liveable as an everyday commuter. I'm in love with the way this car handles. It's hard to explain but there's a certain connection to the pavement with the 997 that you just don't get with other sports cars. There's not another car that I rather drive everyday.............Not at least till the 997 TT cab arrives.

My type of read whil'st waiting for my 997s , also waiting for a driving report on the x51 kit because this is a tempter along with the -20 but I will see..

Congrats to all..

throt..

Gheez, I didn't know that Porsche produces that many 911's in one day! Figure seems a bit high but you saw it with your own eyes. I was hoping that Porsche would hold back a bit so its customers wouldn't get hit so hard down the road with depreciation. I'm happy you folks are getting your cars so quickly but hope Porsche doesn't crank out 997's like they did the 996's. Production figures posted on the net for PCNA were approx 200-300 997S's per month and about double that for base 997 give or take some depending on the month. That translates to around 30 911's produced per day and if the factory closes on the weekend (don't know) then 45 cars would be the norm on a daily basis. Guess thats about to change. Cheers.

It's a trade-off. Would you rather have a system where you get put on a waiting list and several months (or years) down the road, you get to order a new 911? For that, you get less depreciation because of the limit in production? Or would you rather be able to pick a 997 on the lot with most of what you would order and drive off the lot with your car? Or you can order the car of your dreams immediately. But for that priviledge, you get more depreciation. For me, I would rather they build as many as they can sell, and I'll take the convenience and the depreciation.

OOps, I stand corrected as those figures must be for North American bound cars only so throt is right on the money with the figures which should be the norm for Porsche production figures..

I disagree i would rather porsche build a limited number of cars and not flood the market with a ton of them. Take a look at how many 996's are sitting on lots right now. I know its because of the introduction of the new model but porsche "cranked" out 996's during its production run. Its all about supply and demand really, and keeping the supply on the lean side always helps re-sale values down the road and Porsche is well aware of this IMHO.

For the nearly ended fiscal year (2004-05), Porsche will have produced around 26,500 911s (996+997) that is average of more or less 118 per day.

At the peak (2001-2002), the 966 reached 32,300 units or 144 pd.

Around 30,000 units for the world this is relatively a small number.

My 997S was a June build, but the dealer told me not to expect it here until late August possibly September. The reason he gave was that the factory was closed for something like four weeks in the summer, and my car did not ship in time. Does anyone know if this sounds right??

If you car is actully June build it should be on the boat already! I don't think this sound right. if the car is already build tell them to tell you the Vin#. if your car do not have a Vin# yet then your car is not even build (then you Do Not have a June build car).

Thanks for the reply. I do have a Vin# with a order status of CMPPRD dated July 7 2005. Does this make since?

July 7 is the date they print the Status Report or the Pro Forma Invoice not your build date. So I do not know when your car is actually build. Even if your car was build on the last day of June 06/30/2005 now is 07/11/2005. it should take 10 days or so to get on boat, so your car should be on boat any day now. then it should be 20 days or so after that to get to So Cal.

Quote:
    Mark_LA said:
    My 997S was a June build, but the dealer told me not to expect it here until late August possibly September. The reason he gave was that the factory was closed for something like four weeks in the summer, and my car did not ship in time. Does anyone know if this sounds right??

Sounds really fishy. My 997S was built June 24 and has been on the boat heading west for a week or so. Supposedly arrives in CA end of this month.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    Mark_LA said:

Sounds really fishy. My 997S was built June 24 and has been on the boat heading west for a week or so. Supposedly arrives in CA end of this month.

MMD
    June 24 you have the same build date as my!!!!!!!! do you have the latest ETA?

Thanks for the info! One last question. The last 4 digets of my vin# are 0466, is there a way to find out the build date, and does anyone know what the cut-off date, or the last sihpping date is before the holiday closure?

Thank you again

Quote:
    alin330 said:

MMD
    June 24 you have the same build date as my!!!!!!!! do you have the latest ETA?

No, sorry, only the info I have is what you guys gave me above (thanks a million! ); Phoenix leader, or Pioneer leader in to CA on 24 and 27.

Insted of asking my dealer for yet more details, I figure I'll begin my major campaign of becoming a PITA with him when there's fingerprints on the mirrors, scratches on the paint or engine leaking oil!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778548 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442133 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263004 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261293 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85542 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5760 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880969 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816849 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM