Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

instrument color on S - aluminum look or black

I see the S comes standard with the aluminum look gauges. I got one of the nice color books from the local dealer and I don't know if I like the way the aluminum looks in photos. The white gages look great, but not sure I want to pay over $800 for them. Anyone that kept the aluminum look like them or have any better photos? Anyone switch for the black face option, which I believe is no cost?

Re: instrument color on S - aluminum look or black

Here's an indication of the "drama" of aluminum. BTW, Based on looks alone the Aluminum vs. white choice would require a really nutty or "alert" person to discern which looks better. For most people the $800 decides it.

Not sure if this helps you or not... I have the white as shown here:

I went with the black dial option on my S.

Perhaps these could help as well:

Zoom...

Quote:
    flap said:
    I see the S comes standard with the aluminum look gauges. I got one of the nice color books from the local dealer and I don't know if I like the way the aluminum looks in photos. The white gages look great, but not sure I want to pay over $800 for them. Anyone that kept the aluminum look like them or have any better photos? Anyone switch for the black face option, which I believe is no cost?

At first, I definitely wanted tha black gauges for my 997S. I wasn't too crazy about the aluminum gauges at the beginning. But now I'm really happy that I stuck with the aluminum. I think it looks great without being noticeable (ie. out of place).

I have see in this forum an'instrument color in the night,AWEZOME.....anyone have the picture?i dont' found it

Quote:
    Steve987 said:
    I have see in this forum an'instrument color in the night,AWEZOME.....anyone have the picture?i dont' found it

Is this the one? Enjoy!!!

here's another.

It's the first MMD,thank you so much!

It's really a matter of personal taste. To me neither aluminium nor black looks better respectively.

Quote:
    Steve987 said:
    It's the first MMD,thank you so much!

Glad to help. Too bad we lost track of the actual photographer: thank him!

I like the aluminum gauges, goes well with the bluish lights.

Look my 996 instrument(I know,I'm "crazy")
    This option is however available for new 997 too.

Quote:
    flap said:
    Anyone switch for the black face option, which I believe is no cost?

I chose the black dials on my S. And yes, it's a no cost option. My test drive car had the aluminium dials. I can't say that I disliked them, but I just got more used to black dials. So, I know that the blacks won't bother me in some months that the aluminium dials might do.

I confirme for Europe no extra charge for dials in black,
    option code 022.

Hey my sport chrono doesn't lite up like yours? Are US cars equipped with Sport Chrono (dashboard timer) suppose to illuminate at night? If so, I need to take the car in for a check-up.

I too decided to get black gauges for my midnight blue/stone grey S Cab. First the "wart" looks better in black. Second, IMHO silver looks too much like the "riced out" wanna be"s I see cruising around DC. Besides, no extra charge and adds to the uniqueness of my custom car!

Quote:
    gradyex said:
    Hey my sport chrono doesn't lite up like yours? Are US cars equipped with Sport Chrono (dashboard timer) suppose to illuminate at night? If so, I need to take the car in for a check-up.

please confirm for me as well!!!

Quote:
    gradyex said:

I think the chrono only lights up when it is on.

Phil

I love my aluminum-face S gauges, and I wouldn't do it any different. It allows the guages to look "at home" with the rest of the aluminum-look-trimmed interior. It's a very cohesive look. If my interior were accented with wood, or carbon fiber, then I would opt for black gauges. And the gauges are highly readable (day or night), easy and soft on the eyes, elegant, and absolutely non-offending after 4 months of driving on my part. It's nothing to get used to, unless you're the type of person who gets totally unwound by the slightest persnickety deviation from your day-to-day lifelong habits and daily grind, IMHO. So, in conclusion, I find the silver gauges to be extremely readable and benign, so it comes down to a styling choice. The silver gauges make the interior more cohesive, in my opinion.

Quote:
    PS CA said:
    Quote:
    gradyex said:

I think the chrono only lights up when it is on.

Phil

Yup, that's correct.

I really should try to find uses for that clock!

Quote:
    tooner said:

One guy used it to time how long he had to wait for his wife while she shopped.

Another used it to shave seconds off his urban commute to work.

I suppose it would be nice to time how long you wait for a bridge to open and close.

any other ideas?

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    tooner said:

I suppose it would be nice to time how long you wait for a bridge to open and close.

any other ideas?

If you are stuck in a traffic jam you can use it: at least one thing that is moving.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    tooner said:

any other ideas?

I used it to time a trip that was a few hundred miles. Usually when I try to do it by deducting the time of the trip on my wristwatch I forget the time I left etc. Having it on the clock showing 1hr, 2hr, 3hr etc. made it convienient. But it's mostly meant for track work, you can even time sections of the track individually.

Quote:
    helo1 said:
    I too decided to get black gauges for my midnight blue/stone grey S Cab. First the "wart" looks better in black. Second, IMHO silver looks too much like the "riced out" wanna be"s I see cruising around DC. Besides, no extra charge and adds to the uniqueness of my custom car!

I was thinking about black gauges but when I saw 997 S's where the people changed to colored gauges but the Sports Chrono was still silver I didn't want to risk it.

When you change from the standard silver color for the gauges to black did you also have to specify the sports chrono clock also be black ? Or did it just come black to match ?

Sorry OT but I didn't want to start another thread just for a question.

Does anybody know what you get in English from the below Aluminium Look package ? The side and central air vents already look aluminum to me. Also does it mean the air vent slats come in leather ? What else is aluminum ? Is there an option to get the center consule piece around the navigation in aluminum look ?

"Aluminium Look paint finish: side air vents, central air vent incl. switch trim, instrument surround. Leather finish in interior color: side air vent slats, central air vent slats, loudspeaker finisher on switch panel, defroster trim."

Stradale, I have that package. And the Porsche description is EXTREMELY misleading and confusing. What you are referring to is the E36 package, MSRP $1550.00. The only "aluminum-look" piece you get that is different than what comes standard is the instrument-surround. Everything else they list, you are correct, already comes in aluminum-look. So it's very redundant.

As for the extra leather, YES, the air-vent slats on ALL air vents are done in leather, to match the rest of your leather. In other words, my air-vent slats are covered in Terracotta leather. It really looks great. Furthermore, instead of bare plastic, the E36 package also gives you stitched leather on your defroster trim under the windshield, and a nifty stitched leather trim around your center dash speaker. All in all I think it's a great package. Whether or not it's worth $1550 is debatable, but I'd do it again.

But it IS weird that they call it an "aluminum look" package, when it really has more to do with additional leather trimming. I have a theory on this. My theory is that the 997 was originally not intended to have all of that aluminum look trim around the air vents as standard equipment. When Porsche executives saw the proposed E36 package in a pre-production car, they thought the aluminum trim looked dynamite, and made a last-minute decision to make it standard on all 997's, rather than optional, because the aluminum plastic probably doesn't cost them a dime more than any other color plastic. But they still retained the "E36" package as an option, so that they could still offer the leather-covered vents and the leather covered upper-dash trim as an upgrade package, as well as adding the aluminum-look gauge surround, which I'm guessing they thought might be a bit over-the-top to have as standard. That's PURELY a theory, but I can think of no other explanation for the confusion and the redundancy of the E36 package, as it is described in the ordering literature.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777697 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441884 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262864 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261076 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85341 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5626 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880746 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816205 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM