Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: PSE "loudness" modification - solution

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Sorry, more questions.
    From what I understand it's as simple as pulling off those 2 rubber hoses. What are the hoses called?/what are they suppose to do ?
    Would plugging them after they are removed alter anything ?

Also, what do you mean : "Directly after install, the PSE sounded almost like my original exhaust." ?

Sorry for all the questions, I feel like a 3 year old with a new toy.

1. you have to pull off ONE rubber hose, just the one where the red arrows point at!!! No need for the other one!
    Of course this happens in the ENGINE COMPARTMENT, not beneath the car.
    2. after we installed the PSE, the sound was very disappointing. We had to drive around 20 km at higher revv figures to blow it free, the sound came little by little. No big deal but I mentioned it just in case that somebody hears it on a brandnew car and is completely disappointed. This seems to be normal, just drive around a little bit and accelerate from time to time up to the rev limiter and shortly after...VOILA.

I should also mention that I got the information that the exhaust gets louder after a few thousand km. Right now, I'm happy like it is, very nice sound.
    It is a little bit "higher" in sound than the old PSE but it still has that nice deep growl/roar like on classic 911 cars, especially the RS versions.
    With this setup, it would definetely NOT be street legal in most countries. This is why we added the CAUTION to the picture.

Gotcha on the part about clearing it's throat! And the part about which hose to remove..Did you edit that or am I losing my mind again No need to answer if you didn't edit it. Happens to me a lot evidently.

Just one more ?
    What is this hose called?/What was it's intended function ?

I don't think this last question was answered. Is this a hose carrying a vacuum hose (as someone mentioned in another thread?) or is it carrying electrical signal(s)? I.e., what is the specific purpose of this hose?

Carlos,

think PSE will be an option on 997 turbo, from the factory ??

Quote:
    ARMD009 said:
    Carlos,

think PSE will be an option on 997 turbo, from the factory ??

Not likely since the Turbo versions don't get a factory Sport Exhaust option. Suposedly, the Turbo already has a "sporty" exhaust since its the Turbo, just like it gets a sporty suspension (std Turbo is -10mm lower than std carrera in type 996) so there is no Sport-Sport Exhaust option.
    Also since the Turbo is turbocharged, the sound of the engine is not going to be as sporty sounding as the N/A versions like the carrera, turbocharged engines just don't sound the same. Your only way to make the Turbo sound sportier is to go aftermarket, but even then it will still not sound the same.

100% correct, I had a $500 set of mufflers on my c2, that sounded much better than my $5000 set up on my turbo. hoping Porsche would do something from the factory on the 997 turbo with exhaust sound. ala CGT sound

thanks

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    I don't think this last question was answered. Is this a hose carrying a vacuum hose (as someone mentioned in another thread?) or is it carrying electrical signal(s)? I.e., what is the specific purpose of this hose?

I talked to the service rep today. I will be bringing in my 997S to have the retrofit done next week. The modification on this thread describes the disconnection of the vacuum line. This tells me that the sound of the PSE is now disabled under full throttle. But this also tells me that the speed sensitive cut-off is probably not disabled with this mod. Is that correct? Ie., is there another mod we need to do to get the full PSE sound? Anyways, I'll find out for you guys next week.

Well, I did the RC mod this morning and I have to say... wow!!! Thanks RC. The sound is awesome. In fact, I sometimes feel it's a little too loud when the light turns green and you have to step on it a little. But if you don't want it loud, don't press down so hard on the throttle. I feel that I can control the loudness when I need to (like tonight when I had to pull into my garage). Here's a picture in case any of you missed it.

Thanks for the quick and easy mod RC, literally had mine done in 1 minute.. the sound w/ the PSE always on is not really what I expected, I guess I have to wait for it to "clear its throat" a little.. kinda sounds like a souped up Honda with one of those fat tailpipes sticking out the rear that those young kids drive.. was wondering where the "whirl" sound went. I'll give it awhile and see if it changes. BTW, hi all, I'm new here, just got my 997s cab 2 days ago.. these posts have been invaluable, thank you for all the help..

Re: Porsche Sport Exhaust "loudness" modification - solution

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Here you go Alex, picture is pretty self explanatory. The tube is unplugged and both ends are taped closed with black tape (cinta aislante) and then the tube is itself taped to the other tube next to it so that it doesn't move around now that its loose.

carlos/rc what happens if you don't tape the house or the plastic pipe closed?

AFAIK nothing inmediately (I tried it for testing purposes) but I don't like the idea of leaving it that way permanently, maybe dust and particles can be sucked in, etc. Best just to grab simple tape and close both ends.

What about for the hose using some of those tidy cable plastic pulley clamps clips - the ones the electricians use , this way it will stay on and sealed and look tidy .

Insulate the hose first to stop any damage from over gripping..

Just a thought..

throt..

Yeah, I felt the same way, so I sealed both ends and taped the loose cable to the other cable.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    AFAIK nothing inmediately (I tried it for testing purposes) but I don't like the idea of leaving it that way permanently, maybe dust and particles can be sucked in, etc. Best just to grab simple tape and close both ends.

Gotcha! will close it asap! thanks carlos!

Dear all

New to this forum and grateful for all the great advice. Just wondering in relation to making PSE permanently 'on', i have heard another solution is simply not to connect the electronics and switch - ie just connect the mechanicals for the mufflers. I am not worried about the need to switch PSE off, so this seems a simple and easy solution. Just would like to get any advice / comments?

Quote:
    ddt said:
    Dear all

New to this forum and grateful for all the great advice. Just wondering in relation to making PSE permanently 'on', i have heard another solution is simply not to connect the electronics and switch - ie just connect the mechanicals for the mufflers. I am not worried about the need to switch PSE off, so this seems a simple and easy solution. Just would like to get any advice / comments?

That's a great idea. In fact, the dealership I took my 997S to suggested the same thing. It should also be significantly less expensive for the installation. Something like $300 instead $900 for the installation.

My hoses look slightly different than RC's. My car is a 06. Did they change somenthing in 06 or is Euro vs. US spec car. I just want to make sure there are no changes in the mod.

It looks exactly like mine (a factory intall like yours), this is the hose (in green) you have to pull off:

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    It looks exactly like mine (a factory intall like yours), this is the hose (in green) you have to pull off:

Thanks for the confirmation. I will pull it off and plug up both openings.

Well the mod worked like a charm. Love the sound. Thanks. Now I need to find some nice rubber plugs. I have an idea where to source them and I will let you know if I find them.

Another alternative is to disconnect the feed to the speedo head. This was recommended by the dealer that I am purchasing my car from. The advantage of this is that the console switch still operates. The disadvantage is that the dealership is charging me $250.00 to do the disconnect. Apparently, it is a 2-3 hour job. I do prefer this method due to the fact that I have 100% control as to whether the exhaust is muted or not and can control it by the console OEM switch. The dealership did say the the disconnect of the hose would work with its obvious disadvantage.

Quote:
    red911 said:
    Another alternative is to disconnect the feed to the speedo head. This was recommended by the dealer that I am purchasing my car from. The advantage of this is that the console switch still operates. The disadvantage is that the dealership is charging me $250.00 to do the disconnect. Apparently, it is a 2-3 hour job. I do prefer this method due to the fact that I have 100% control as to whether the exhaust is muted or not and can control it by the console OEM switch. The dealership did say the the disconnect of the hose would work with its obvious disadvantage.

THANKS RED911!!! I think that's how Seven's 997 Cab works with the Sport button without cutoffs! There's your answer Fanch!

red911:
    I guess the disadvantage would be if we have the sport chorno package ...... we would always have to be in sport mode in order for the PSE to work, right?

Quote:
    vtach88 said:
    red911:
    I guess the disadvantage would be if we have the sport chorno package ...... we would always have to be in sport mode in order for the PSE to work, right?

Correct. It would only eliminate the 50-80km/h cutoff but would still remain dependant of the Sport Chrono function/button. I personally still rather have it ON all the time but at least independant of wether I have the Sport on or not. But if they can hook up the PSE to another button on the dash instead of the Sport buttton, then you would have it all.

Quote:
    red911 said:

I wish they told me about this option when I did the retrofit two weeks ago. I might have done it. On the other hand, think about how nice it is to switch on the key and hear the "PSE on" immediately. Also, I'm getting use to the PSE sound so much that it doesn't seem as loud to me anymore (maybe I'm losing my hearing because of the PSE ). So, I'm not sure having a switch to turn on and off is something I would use now.

I also like having the PSE ON full-time and independent of the Sport Chrono button. Having an additional option of having PSE ON or OFF, albeit using yet another button would be nice, but I can live nicely with PSE ON all the time.

I talked to the dealership today and they said the speedo disconnect will NOT work if you have the sport chrono package. If you don't, it WILL work. Unfortunately, I also have the sport chrono package. However, they did suggest that rather than disconnect the hose and have it in PSE mode all the time they could fabricate a small on-off value that would allow me to turn it on and off via the value. I am go with this since it would be much easier than connecting and disconnecting the rubber feed line. Plus you don't have to contend with plugging the two holes and then somehow securing the line.

Hope this helps others.

red911:
    let us know how that works. That would be the best of all worlds. All we sport chrono people want is a simple on/off button that operates ONLY the PSE!!

that must be how Seven's mechanics got his PSE to work like that! there's your answer fanch

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    that must be how Seven's mechanics got his PSE to work like that! there's your answer fanch

I'm not sure Mike,
    Because I don't recall Seven writing he has an extra switch dedicated to the PSE.
    He switches his PSE full On to full OFF via the sport button which controls the sprot chrono package.

Surely it's possible to get the Sports Exhaust button installed(as if you haven't got the sports Chrono)as well as the sports chrono button. Wouldn't that solve everything?

Would appreciate if someone can explain what is the functional technical difference in having the PSE option besides the loudness?

Does it function and perform like having a cat bypass pipe mod??

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777681 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441877 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262860 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261075 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85341 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5622 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880740 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816191 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM