Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: all about oil? Yes!.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:

With respect I didn't say ignore it.

I humbly stand corrected Please accept my apologies.

ISUK - For arguments sake, imagine if Iraq became a Shia based theocratic quasi democracy as Iran is.

With stability, their oil production would increase.

They would be selling it on the world market to finance their internal needs and external agenda, just as Iran is doing now.

Therefore, the price of oil would likely decrease and its availability would increase.

Quote:
    ISUK said:
    Quote:
    dreamcar said:

With respect I didn't say ignore it.

I humbly stand corrected Please accept my apologies.

No apology necessary. We are all friends here.

Jim, I concede your point but there's a new guy in town running Iran now and he is of the fundamentalist persuasion so we'll have to wait and see what he does. The religious leaders in Iran seem keener to relax their grasp than the new leader does.

I'm based in London and got to say am still shocked with what has happened despite the inevitability that was much talked about previously.

Had a meeting earlier today with one of our suppliers and it really hit home further when he mentioned that a friend of one of his collegaues got caught up in one of the incidents and had to have a leg amputated last night. Terrible. There is talk that the casulty number is going to rise further as there are still bodies to be recovered from one of the tube stops.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    yarub1 said:
    The tragic event of yesterday in London are a daily occurance in Iraq due to the arrogant planing of the US military.

Don't blame it on the terrorists. Blame it on the US. I see.

We invaded the country. What happens there is our responsibility. Currently there is almost no civil order in Iraq. That is not solely the fault of the bad guys. It's the fault of military planners as well, who assumed everybody wants to be Americanized and therefore we didn't need a larger force to maintain order after the invasion--huge mistake on our part only exceeded by the decision to invade for WMD and bogus assumptions about Saddam and Usmama bin Ladin. Now US forces are stretched so thin worldwide that we would have to use the selective service system in order to meet the true force requirements in Iraq and worldwide unless we change our Cold War approach to military readiness.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    ISUK said:
    Dreamcar,

As for simply ignoring the whole situation I have to disagree with you on this point as I believe that only serves to make things worse.

With respect I didn't say ignore it. It is impossible to ignore such terrible acts. My point is that these acts are carried out purely for publicising their deranged cause. That is why it was timed to coincide with the G8 summit.
    I totally agree with your views about the moronic comments of some of the reporters though.

Exactly! It's propoganda by deed!

Quote:
    987box said:
    I'm based in London and got to say am still shocked with what has happened despite the inevitability that was much talked about previously.

Had a meeting earlier today with one of our suppliers and it really hit home further when he mentioned that a friend of one of his collegaues got caught up in one of the incidents and had to have a leg amputated last night. Terrible. There is talk that the casulty number is going to rise further as there are still bodies to be recovered from one of the tube stops.

Thank God for the 1st rate trama centers in central London and the fine doctors and nurses, who run them. Without them, the death toll would have been much higher that 50 or so.

Yarub,

ISUK's comments are not only informative, they are careful not to imply casual speculation as fact, or to take huge leaps from motive to crime, skipping the whole inconvenient process of presenting EVIDENCE. I'll admit that I can shovel the sh** with the best of 'em, but your posts are cluttered with conclusions drawn more from ingrained bias and cynicism than critical analysis. The point was made that we could have taken the oil in 1991, and your reply had something to do with eating soup and sandwiches and pie. I bring up the coalition, and you make the ABSURD ASSUMPTION that all countries that are not part of the coalition were therefore AGAINST the war. That's an assumption my friend, and a severe over-simplification of an extremely complex hot-potato. Was Chile FOR the extermination of the Jews, simply because they were not fighting in WWII?? I doubt it. You can't say that if something isn't "A", then it's got to be "B". It could be any other letter in the alphabet. As was said prior, you argue with assumption, and it seems the U.S. is guilty until proven innocent in your mind. In the U.S., we see the wild claims and stories circulated on racidal Islamist websites regarding U.S. treatment of prisoners. It is sick, and disheartening to see such wild rhetoric being flung about as fact, with no evidence or real substance. I truly believe that the U.S. military could go door-to-door in Iraq and cook each household a 5-star gourmet meal for dinner, and by the time the effort ran through the extremist-American-hating grapevine, the story would wind up in pro-terrorist newspapers and T.V. shows as "U.S. troops storm civilian residences, loot all food, and rape women, children and all household pets". Don't get me wrong, I get equally sick when I see conservative and liberal extremists in our own country make a mockery of reality.

We're having a great exchange here, but conclusions like "it MUST be ALL about oil, because that's the U.S.'s primary energy source" are reckless and just look silly. If that's how you drill down to facts, then you'd make one hell of an efficient prosecuting attorney...

"Your honor, this girl here was raped. That guy over there is a sexually functional male. Therefore, that guy OBVIOUSLY RAPED that girl!!!! I rest my case!!"

Or how about this... Hey, I work on a computer most of the day. Therefore, I MUST have a deep burning desire to loot my local Circuit City!!

Holminator, I respect your criticism of the U.S. strategy in Iraq, but I honestly don't think there was ever a 100% "right" answer, or way to go in. The best case scenario still would have us walking a tightrope, and enduring a long and difficult effort, even in hindsight. Considering that all along the way, naysayers have been saying, "oh, it's a quagmire", "oh, there's no way you can hand control over to the Iraqis", "oh, there's no way you can have that election", "oh, there's no way that we'll ever succeed here". Thusfar, the naysayers have repeatedly been forced to swallow their tongues, and then find some other issue to bitch about. Iraq could defeat the insurgency and be as vital and safe as flippin Norway by Christmas, and the naysayers would be bitching that we spent too much money doing it, and we'll never repay the debt. There's no end. And there's no perfect solution. Yes, there's been some bad judgement along the way, but man, do you think you could have masterminded a better approach? If so, please get off this computer and get to work getting yourself into a position of better influence!!!!

I know we don't see eye to eye on everything. I suppose that I have faith that we have the best minds available working on these issues behind the scenes, and that we'll prevail, regardless of how many armchair Stratego addicts think we should have done this that and the other things differently. Maybe, but maybe it was never that simple.

It is true that the Arabs invented higher mathematics and that a Iraqi invented the zero, but they completely missed the age of reason and enlightenment.

Mired in tribalism, family feuds, intoxicated on conspiracy theories and put akimbo by post Hussein fighting all make diffcult for many to see the leap forward they are actually trying to take.

Many in that region do want to leave a 9th century socio cultural mindset and actually modernize. Change is never quick or easy and it usually starts from the top. Iraq is in that change now and not every one will be pleased as it goes along.

Let the other Arab states stay as vicious living museum exhibits if they wish.

Iraq is actually the country that can succeed and will ascend to its rightful position as the showpiece of culture, enlightment,wealth and commerce success for
    the middle east.

Under Hussein it devolved into a quasi stalinist cult of personality. Historically, Bagdhad had been the capital of the Arab world for commerce, culture and in education. Prior to Hussein it was even also the film production capital of the middle east.

He took the cradle of civilization and smothered it under a evil blanket for his own greed and psychopathic dreams.

You are seeing history in progress there now, and 40 years from now, Iraq will be as famous for being an advanced civilization as for its ancient contributions.

Oh boy, everybody duck and take cover, it's about to start flying!!! LOL!!!!

Guys,

I think it is great that we can have this type of debate at all and put forward our differing viewpoints from around the world. Judging from the strong differing opinions amongst us Rennteamers can you imagine for one second just how hard it is for nation states to reach accord?

I think the US went into Iraq with the best of intentions but it will only become clear in the years ahead as some of the current US cabinet write their memoirs, what the real motivations were. I think it safe to assume that they underestimated the scale of the task ahead of them in terms of winning the hearts and minds of the Iraqi people. If you have never known true democracy and have lived the majority of your life under a dictatorship, the leap of faith required to accept that things will get better is a huge one for many ordinary citizens to make. I think that democracy will prevail if the political resolve to remain there, whilst the new Iraqi government rebuilds it's own security and military forces back up, is maintained.

Let us also not forget that we are expecting soldiers to act as policeman, show courage and restraint in the face of constant danger AND act as ambassadors for western values whilst knowing that they are the daily targets of those groups that wish to turn the clock back or snatch power for themselves. That is one tall order to fulfil. The British Army has the dubious advantage over their US colleagues of having had years of practice of this type of situation from the long running saga of Northern Ireland. I don't know about the rest of you guys but I for one think it is outrageous that troops are being placed on murder charges whilst working in this environment. The prison abuse issues are a different matter entirely where justice needs to be done.

And by the way, the US is not alone in stretching its forces. Our UK government still wants to act like a major power across the globe yet have continued to deplete our military capability year after year. If it wasn't for the help of Ronnie Reagan back in '82 in securing supplies of missiles for our Harriers, we wouldn't have been able to retake the Falklands for goodness sake. If we are to join the US and act as the policemen of the world then our forces need to be properly equipped for the job. This is something that our government don't seem to have woken up to as yet. At least the Bush administration appears able to provide the US troops with the right kit for the job and ensure they generally have enough of it as well.

ISUK, In regards to Iraq, England really shouldnt have to do anything and neither should America. American soldiers
    are not really well led or trained for occupations or dealing with long term counter insurgencies. Britain has too few men and not enough money.

Its really a job for Spain to do and rightfully so.

Al Qaida, in one of their many press releases, announced thier desire to conquer and rule Spain soon.

As the Arabs previous invasion of Spain was organized,
    paid for and administered by the Caliph of Baghdad, I
    suggest that Spain take another look at it all.

Since Al Qaida have announced their intentions to reconquer Spain, and also proclaim to be in Iraq to take Iraq for their own purposes,I believe that the Spanish have ample legal reasons to invoke self defense and takeover Iraq as
    a premptory measure.

Jim,

I'm putting you forward as a replacement for Condoleeza Rice. That was pure class!

Do you think Chuck Heston could be persuaded to don his El Cid gear and get a few of his gun lobby buddies to mount up and ride to Spain's assistance again? I think Sophia Loren's diary is looking ok for the week after next

Quote:
    ISUK said:
    Jim,

I'm putting you forward as a replacement for Condoleeza Rice. That was pure class!

Do you think Chuck Heston could be persuaded to don his El Cid gear and get a few of his gun lobby buddies to mount up and ride to Spain's assistance again? I think Sophia Loren's diary is looking ok for the week after next

Well, its only fair isnt it??

Im rather tired of all of the ridiculous Al Qiada pronouncements. I say lets hold them to their word!
    They say to have "punished" Britain for having troops
    in Iraq. OK. They say they want to occupy Spain. OK.
    So far Spain is the only European country they claim to want to invade and takeover. So let Spain deal with them
    openly and brutally.

The Spanish fight very very well. They invented the term "guerilla" warfare, they have a excellent track record at seizing large hostile backwards countries-like all of the new world! And they have defeated the Arabs en masse before, they have the know how and experience. Why doesnt Bob Geldoff and Sonny Bono hold a "lets help Spain" rock concert ???

As Spain has been so publicly threatened and attacked
    by these people, I say it is a matter of Spanish honor, pride and their absolute right to deal with these people
    in a manner of Spains choosing that will end the problem.

I hate to sound like a fricking cheerleader, but 69bossnine and JimFlat6 have expressed my thoughts and beliefs pretty much to the t.

Yarub1, I would recommend that you read this whole thread when you get a chance( I know you're busy now) - some have made very excellent points. Please don't consume all the wild conspiracies you hear! I'm sure you're much too young to be so cynical!

President Bush had a choice after 9-11: trust our security to Saddam or be proactive and continue to take the fight to the terrorists(Saddam being one of the worst in history). BTW, there were at least 20 reasons given in the resolution... as one comic said: one of them was, WTF are you looking at Saddam!? Even IF what you claim were true, for humanitarian reasons alone- Saddam and his regime had to go. Has everything gone perfect? NO. But when has war ever gone as scripted ( any fight or plan for that mattter)? A lot is going well in Iraq. It's going to take time, and unfortunately more lives. But the alternative, was no option at all, IMO. The media is often too lazy, scared or biased to report the positives. I hear about the progress from the troops and their families, and again, the Iraqi people themselves made a huge statement when they went to the polls!

OK, now regarding your car. 5 months doesn't sound so bad - I have until the Spring Grand Tour( more than likely)or at the very latest the Fall 2006 Grand Tour. I'm strongly leaning towards the 997 C4S Cab ( 997S Cab as second choice). I'm going kinda nuts waiting too.
    But I have no doubt it'll be soooooo worth the wait! I look forward to hearing more about your baby and seeing pics too. All the best to you Yarub1 !

ENOUGH POLITICS! THIS IS A SPORTS CAR FORUM!

I think enough is enough. Rennteam.com is a sports car enthusiasts' forum, not a political debating arena. I think enough has been said and this should now be stopped. This is not correct subject matter here.

Re: ENOUGH POLITICS! THIS IS A SPORTS CAR FORUM!

Fair enough dreamcar, but
    why not just skip this topic?

Quote:
    SVNSVN said:
    Fair enough dreamcar, but
    why not just skip this topic?

Because I enjoy Rennteam and I don't enjoy when matters like this get out of hand. It does this forum no good in my opinion.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    I think enough is enough. Rennteam.com is a sports car enthusiasts' forum, not a political debating arena. I think enough has been said and this should now be stopped. This is not correct subject matter here.

Yeah, hey RC and Carlos, I second the motion to close debate.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Because I enjoy Rennteam and I don't enjoy when matters like this get out of hand. It does this forum no good in my opinion.

Hear hear! Golly gosh, I didn't realise some of you lot were QUITE so Xenophobic and eager to shout 'Kick some Iraqi Ass'. Go study Middle-East history and geography first. Can't we all just get along?

Yeah,
    On second thought-great idea!

Holminator, very nice photos! Thank you! I guess pretty much everyone decided on a different color!
    The guy in the red polo kind of looks like Rahal(sp?).

Thanks! That's Mark, a 987 owner up in NYC. Great guy!

http://www.rennteam.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=5001

Quote:
    Holminator said:
    Quote:
    dreamcar said:

Yeah, hey RC and Carlos, I second the motion to close debate.

I too was saddened and dismayed by this week's events in London, but don't think a sports car forum is an appropriate place to discuss it at length.

I'm with Dreamcar: This discussion has got so far "off topic" it should be declared "out of bounds".

Quote:
    dreamcar said:

Rennteam.com is a community of sometimes like minded sports car enthusiasts. Regrettfully, the public of one country
    has been evily attacked. Its only natural and fair that given the immediate curcumstances, that they should be able to discuss it here. Discussing that Al Whoever has attacked the US, Spain and now England is apropos considering the international makeup here.

You seemed to have no objections until my mentioning of Al Qaida's attack on Spain, their stated claim to conquer Spain, and that Spain had the right of self defense. Why is that?

Is your attempt to stifle this thread, one of more than 60 on the 997 board, due to some sort of PC ostrich thing
    about terrorists or cultural bias against the idea of Spain defending itself?

Quote:
    fritz said:
    I too was saddened and dismayed by this week's events in London, but don't think a sports car forum is an appropriate place to discuss it at length.

Fair enough. However, even though this is primarily a sports car forum, events have occured that have touched many of the members here deeply. I think it's a little churlish to expect people to stick to the spirit of the site at a time like this. This thread is not compulsive reading, it can easily be skipped.

And anyway, I think the very fact that this discussion - albeit a lively and intense one - has not descended into abuse and childishness is a very strong reason why we should be able to continue it. Like many here I'm a long term user of internet forums and this place is refreshingly mature and sensible. Long may it prevail.

br d

Okay... I have spent a good amount of time trying to get through each and every one of your views regarding the political, economic, terroristic, militaristic, religious, and sociological and cultural views regarding what has been done wrong in the historical contexts of our past, our mistakes and/or achievements in the present, and what we should or shouldn't do in the future. And the bottom line (which I am sure in one way or another one or many of you will bash me left and right for saying so) is this:

Innocent people are dying due to thoughtless and senseless acts of violence which lead us absolutely nowhere, but to further cause strife and distance for a peaceful solution to our common existence within this world, no matter geographical location, religion, political views, or cultural differences. Bombings, death, violence, and wars solve none of these problems, and I think we all have one common agreement that terrorism isn't the answer to any of these disagreements.

Technology today has made our world so much smaller, with better understanding of each other across the world... it has also made us stronger with uniting each other to stop these uncompassionate killings.

Policemen of the world? You bet ya... and I am not talking the United States of America... I am talking all nations and people within the world to help stop these horrible killings of terrorism.

It will not stop, until they can be stopped.

Period. Finite. The end.

Now how about that pie with a Porsche too?

yeah, time for the moderator to close this thread.

I say keep it going until there's no interest in continuing. Why stifle free speech? We're not attacking anyone personally, just exchanging opinions. Is this not worth talking about anymore? I find it fascinating that we all share a common interest for our Porsche's and yet we can hear opinions from the same people on other topics.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    779188 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442233 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263102 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261379 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85612 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5803 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881080 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817494 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM