Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

7:40 Nurburging for Corvette 'Blue Devil' not C6 Z06

http://www.autocar.co.uk/news_article.asp?na_id=216013

Re: 7:40 Nurburging for Corvette 'Blue Devil' not C6 Z06

Interesting! Thanks for the link!

Very nice work SVTrader1

http://www.autocar.co.uk/news_article.asp?na_id=216013

For $100K, a Chevrolet Blue Devilis the fastest non super exotic car to lap the 'Ring ever in 7.40 sec, even with a Dane at the wheel.

I think the only faster 2 seat production road car is a
    Carrera GT.

Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini .....Your floor mats are showing!

Oh yes, they have nicer armrest leather, Zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Just FYI - there is a conversation on the Vette boards that seems rather critical of the journalist for Autoweek who said he heard a supercharger whine and declared the car a Blue Devil rather than Z06.

That appears to be the source for this Autocar article as well (identical photos). And this supposed Blue Devil photo looks absolutely identical to a production Z06. Seems very early in the development of the Blue Devil to be taking Ring times when the Z06 has just been running there. And you would expect some other evidence that this is a Blue Devil (wider fenders, some other distinguishing marks) since it costs nearly double the Z06. Nobody is gonna pay $40k extra just for 100hp and a supercharger when you can get that for $5k in the aftermarket. Something is suspicious...

It does look like a Z06. But what we cant see is how many more carbon fiber body panels, titanium and magtnesium parts, bigger intakes and exhuast valves etc.. it has. However, if it was the Z06 that did a 7.40, so much the better.

I dont think that Autocar would go that far out on a limb about the lap time, no matter wich model, without some confirmation beyond just chat on a internet site. The model confusion I can understand, they are Brits and dont know Vettes.

This stinks! Why can't we get a straight story? It's a good story for the Vette in any case, but this veil over the truth is diluting the impact! Chevrolet needs to clarify this now!

Quote:
    GM Austin said:
    This stinks! Why can't we get a straight story? It's a good story for the Vette in any case, but this veil over the truth is diluting the impact! Chevrolet needs to clarify this now!

Or someone who knows can just leak the information.

Expect formal announcement from GM on July 25th about the official Z06 Nurburgring lap times.

Don't know if they will also release a offfical lap time for the Blue Devil car at that time. GM is playing it pretty tight lipped about leaking formal announcements.

Whatever model Vette it is, it will get lots of publicity that it beats Porsche at lap times at the 'Ring.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Whatever model Vette it is, it will get lots of publicity that it beats Porsche at lap times at the 'Ring.

Dear GM lover,

While your passion for Corvettes seems to be unlimited I should reiterate the following (also posted on the Porsche board):

1. The recent Autocar article confirms that the rumours about the Z06 doing the NS in 7:40 are wrong (as the "record" has been achieved with the "Blue Devil").

2. The "Blue Devil" is not for sale and will not be for sale for a substantial period of time, if ever.

3. No details regarding tires etc. are given by the above article. I consider it likely that part of the 7:40 story can be explained by the use of semi-racing tires and other special modifications.

4. By the time this car might potentially hit the market a 997 GT2 will most likely have set a new benchmark below 7:40 (given that the current GT2 on regular street tires does the NS in 7:44 already).

So I disagree with your above post. Only those who disgregard the above facts will be positively surprised by the Corvette doing the NS in 7:4x. Those who are well inforned will most likely confirm my above views.

One other note: It's almost impossible to imagine a supercharger fitting under the Z06's hood without an additional buldge (as has been rumored for the Blue Devil). The photo shows a totally stock hood...

Grant, that's more speculation

Quote:
    brunner said:
    Grant, that's more speculation

Just trying to provide a balance of speculation on both sides

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    For $100K, a Chevrolet Blue Devilis the fastest non super exotic car to lap the 'Ring ever in 7.40 sec, even with a Dane at the wheel.

I didnt even notice you managed to slip an insult into that post, too!
    Surely it should have said "strongly helped by the fact that there was a Dane driving the car.."?

Hoohoo..

The comment about the Dane driving was meant to be tongue in cheek.

You have probably noticed that many Germans only respect Ring lap times driven by German drivers and are in love with the times done by German cars. So if a Dane can
    make a Chevy lap the Ring faster than a Porsche GT2, its even more interesting. Its not easy attempting facetious irony here!

The Z06 is on sale now, The Blue Devil this winter. For the 2007 model year, they all get very prrrrrty interiors.

What say all when the old cries of cant beat Porsche
    lap times and the interior looks cheap are no longer true?

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Dear GM lover,

While your passion for Corvettes seems to be unlimited I should reiterate the following (also posted on the Porsche board):

1. The recent Autocar article confirms that the rumours about the Z06 doing the NS in 7:40 are wrong (as the "record" has been achieved with the "Blue Devil").

2. The "Blue Devil" is not for sale and will not be for sale for a substantial period of time, if ever.

3. No details regarding tires etc. are given by the above article. I consider it likely that part of the 7:40 story can be explained by the use of semi-racing tires and other special modifications.

4. By the time this car might potentially hit the market a 997 GT2 will most likely have set a new benchmark below 7:40 (given that the current GT2 on regular street tires does the NS in 7:44 already).

So I disagree with your above post. Only those who disgregard the above facts will be positively surprised by the Corvette doing the NS in 7:4x. Those who are well inforned will most likely confirm my above views.

1. Im no GM lover.
    Having owned Porsches for 30 years and never owned a Vette, that doesnt mean I will shut my eyes to knowledge about its competitors. And like it or not, for many the Corvette is a competitor for those who use their cars on track days a lot.

2. The Blue Devil goes on sale this winter/spring.

3. For a manufacturers official lap time, the tires would be models that the vehicle is sold with. In this case, that means Goodyear runflats and the car unmodified.

4. When the GT2 is released, I dont doubt that it will
    do a 7.40 or better at the Ring, but It will do so at double the price of the Vette if Porsche follows its
    usual pricing strategy.

5. There is no official release yet of the times. Corvette had stated that the Z06 lap time was going to be released week of July 25. If the Z06 did the 7.40 and not the Blue
    Devil, its even more startling.

Lutz of GM is really serious about improving the Corvette
    and taking it to new heights. Not only do they have the 600hp OHV Blue Devil engine, they also have a DOHC 7 liter
    with even more hp for the next version of the Corvette. And that car will be very different from the Vette that was already designed before he came to GM.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Dear GM lover,

1. Im no GM lover.
    Having owned Porsches for 30 years and never owned a Vette, that doesnt mean I will shut my eyes to knowledge about its competitors. And like it or not, for many the Corvette is a competitor for those who use their cars on track days a lot.

3. For a manufacturers official lap time, the tires would be models that the vehicle is sold with. In this case, that means Goodyear runflats and the car unmodified.

do a 7.40 or better at the Ring, but It will do so at double the price of the Vette if Porsche follows its
    usual pricing strategy.

5. There is no official release yet of the times. Corvette had stated that the Z06 lap time was going to be released week of July 25. If the Z06 did the 7.40 and not the Blue

and taking it to new heights. Not only do they have the 600hp OHV Blue Devil engine, they also have a DOHC 7 liter
    with even more hp for the next version of the Corvette. And that car will be very different from the Vette that was already designed before he came to GM.

I do not want to be rude. But your continued speculation (and we are talking about pure speculation indeed) about various Vettes doing extraordinary NS times is getting ridiculous.

This board has a strong reputation for reliable information. Repeating a whole bunch of speculative and/or wrong arguments is, from my perspective, rather unfavourable.

For example you continue to speculate that a Z06 did 7:40 although Autocar has stated in their article that the car in question was the 600hp version of the Corvette which is not sold to customers. You claim, if I read your post correctly, that the standard Corvette with 400hp is faster than a Carrera S to 140mph which is wrong based on several recent tests in the European press (at least with regards to the 0-125mph figures).

Rennteam is not a marketing platform for GM producs but a professional discussion forum

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Rennteam is not a marketing platform for GM producs but a professional discussion forum

Surely nobody in here tries to market the Vette or any other GM product.
    From what I can read, all Jim does is enthusiastically promote the rumour (or fact depending on what you believe) that the Vette beat Porsche on their home turf in a much cheaper car.

I agree that the time of 7.40 min seems to have been achieved in a Z06 Blue Devil and not a standard Z06. At least according to the article Jim or someone else provided.

Regarding your last remark:
    I don't believe this is a professional board. Not even close to it.
    We are all enthusiasts who sometimes are more knowledgeable than the pros because we spend so alarmingly much time on cars.
    I think most of what we read and write in here are thoughts, comments, subjective input mixed with pertinent and reliable news and facts.

Very few of us in here are employed by a car manufacturer and / or own a dealership.
    We're mostly boys with too much time (and sometimes money too) on our hands

If you want a forum with no inaccurate news and no enthusiastic (and unsubstantiated) facts I think you have come to the wrong place.
    At the very least if I were you, I would try really hard to avoid reading my posts about the F1 season!

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Dear GM lover,

1. Im no GM lover.

usual pricing strategy.

I do not want to be rude. But your continued speculation (and we are talking about pure speculation indeed) about various Vettes doing extraordinary NS times is getting ridiculous.

This board has a strong reputation for reliable information. Repeating a whole bunch of speculative and/or wrong arguments is, from my perspective, rather unfavourable.

For example you continue to speculate that a Z06 did 7:40 although Autocar has stated in their article that the car in question was the 600hp version of the Corvette which is not sold to customers. You claim, if I read your post correctly, that the standard Corvette with 400hp is faster than a Carrera S to 140mph which is wrong based on several recent tests in the European press (at least with regards to the 0-125mph figures).

Thats all very nice....

First, Rennteam is a community for sports car enthusiasts with emphasis on Porsche. Are we to not know of Porsches competition, be it Ferrari, Corvette or whomever? If this were a dedicated "professional forum" as u say we would all be discussing engineering papers wouldnt we?

The Carrera vs Corvette 0-140mph time is a quote from a test
    performed by Automobile Magazine last December. It is a very reputable consumer publication. You probably know that some cars are faster after 125 than others, so add that model to your list.

So Autocar obtained Magnussens lap time from the Corvette
    at the 'Ring. They say its the Blue Devil version, wich WILL be for sale, while Corvette had earlier announced that they would release the new Z06 time (wich IS for sale now) this July late. We will have to wait to learn wich one did it,but the point is, is that one of them did it, and a 7.40 Ring lap time is nothing to take lightly.

Interesting thread. The more things change the more they stay the same. I've been driving for over 30 years and the Porsche/Corvette "debate" hasn't changed because despite the advance in technology for both marques the personalities and emotions haven't moved one iota and never will. It will never be about numbers. East is East....

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:

Regarding your last remark:
    I don't believe this is a professional board. Not even close to it.

While you can find lots of fakers and uninformed posters on other boards the typical Rennteamer is well informed.

Typically Rennteamers know what they are talking or asking about. That is a huge difference to most other boards I know

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Dear GM lover,

1. Im no GM lover.

usual pricing strategy.

The Carrera vs Corvette 0-140mph time is a quote from a test
    performed by Automobile Magazine last December. It is a very reputable consumer publication. You probably know that some cars are faster after 125 than others, so add that model to your list.

Two recent tests in European car magazines stated that the Carrera s is 1 second quicker to 125mph than the Corvette. You stated that the Corvette was 2 seconds quicker up to 140 mph in this Automobile Magazine test.

By your last post you are now implying that between 125 and 140 mph the Corvette makes up 3 seconds. Seems somehow unlikely

The reason for the deviating test results is more likely a different actual performance of the tested cars. As a Corvette client I would be slightly concerned about the outcome of those recent European tests...

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said: We will have to wait to learn wich one did it,but the point is, is that one of them did it, and a 7.40 Ring lap time is nothing to take lightly.

If it has been achieved with a 600hp version on semi-racing tires it would not be a big surprise

A GT2 does this time with 480hp and on street tires.

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said: We will have to wait to learn wich one did it,but the point is, is that one of them did it, and a 7.40 Ring lap time is nothing to take lightly.

If it has been achieved with a 600hp version on semi-racing tires it would not be a big surprise

The Corvette did it on Goodyear run flat street tires.
    So guess what it could do on Michelin non run flats?

You say a GT2 did a 7.40 on street tires? When and what driver?

And yes, some cars do accellerate faster than others after 125.

On a cost effectiveness scale, You could get a Carrera S
    AND also a Corvette that would provide the same lap time as the GT2 for the same price as just a GT2

Surely Corvette knows something after so many Le Mans FIA GT1 wins. At the very least, they are used to passing Porsches, Ferraris and Maserati's MC12 Enzo clones on
    race tracks over and over again.

I for one am rooting for the Vette to do well, even though I'd probably never buy one (although I wouldn't mind taking it for a spin). Let me tell you why:

When historic car companies like Porsche and Ferrari corner a market, the percieved notion is that a monopoloized territory (such as the 911 with the 100k dollar sports car) can loose its intention of pushing the technological envelope in newer models. A lot of people complain about the minimal hp increases in the new Porsche lines (although a hp race is hardly an accurate gague of technical innovation), a cheaper, viable competitor will push Porsche to make a better product.

It can only help...anyone who can't see that is being naieve and has a tendency of homerism.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:

The Corvette did it on Goodyear run flats street tires.

What is the basis of that information? Speculation, speculation, speculation.

Now I am convinced that GM sent you as a troll

P.S.: It has been stated above that the GT2 does the NS in 7:44.

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:

You have no tire information to support your own supposition that it didnt run on street tires!
    So you are merely postulating about your own speculations!

And again, when and who drove a GT2 lap the ring in 7:40.00???

Are you just a troll for Porsches RMS vendors??
    or just a casual adherent of Porsches bizarre
    marketing philosophy that they only have to compete
    against themselves????

Im not a Corvette enthusiast, I just dont like seeing Porsche loose ground when they could choose not to.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:

You have no tire information to support your own supposition that it didnt run on street tires!
    So you are merely postulating about your own speculations!

And again, when and who drove a GT2 lap the ring in 7:40.00???

Are you just a troll for Porsches RMS vendors??
    or just a casual adherent of Porsches bizarre
    marketing philosophy that they only have to compete
    against themselves????

Im not a Corvette enthusiast, I just dont like seeing Porsche loose ground when they could choose not to.

Given that no detailed information about your beloved NS test has been diclosed to date your speculation about standard tires is as speculative as mine about non-standard tires. This again highlights how speculative your speculations are...

I already answered your question regarding 7:40 vs. 7:44 in my previous post.

BTW: I have to admit that my true name is Wendelin W.. But please do not tell anybody else

Just had a brilliant idea: You may consider changing your user name into "GMFlat6"

Quote:
    Hurst said:
    When historic car companies like Porsche and Ferrari corner a market, the percieved notion is that a monopoloized territory (such as the 911 with the 100k dollar sports car) can loose its intention of pushing the technological envelope in newer models. A lot of people complain about the minimal hp increases in the new Porsche lines (although a hp race is hardly an accurate gague of technical innovation), a cheaper, viable competitor will push Porsche to make a better product.

I agree 100% with what Hurst said above, very well said. But after 6 pages of this thread, there is still no official info or facts whatsoever of anything, so until then, I find it rather senseless to continue to claim, hypothesise, asume, etc. about the Z06 or what have you and the ring. Lets wait and see.

I'm a street performance nut when it comes to my car tastes and purchases, but there is a limit to the non-performance issues I could bear to ignore, so I'd never buy a GM Corvette ... but I sure hope it does well, some european makers need a bit of a wake up call in the cost-per-performance-delivered department.

"Just had a brilliant idea: You may consider changing your user name into "GMFlat6"

You are several decades too late!

GM tried the flat six once before. They paid Porsche tons to develop the engines and chassis for a sedan, a convertible, a truck and a minivan.

It was called the... Corvair! So, I think I will not be changing names anytime soon.

GMs current connection to Porsche is the Corvette. Its
    tire inflator kit is supplied by Porsche

Maybe they could expand their relationship. A Cayman with
    a 7 litre V8 sounds attractive to me.

Aside from the Corvair being a Flat-6, it was also air-cooled and it was placed behind the rear axle. Sound familiar?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777658 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441875 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262852 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261070 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85333 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5620 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880733 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816180 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM