Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

seat selection

what would you choose standard or adaptive sport ?

Re: seat selection

I'd try them out on a one hour drive and then decide.

-SB

Re: seat selection

with 996 you HAD to sit in the sport seats to know if they'd be comfortable OR painful to your shoulders.

With 997 seats I think that's no longer a requirement (no need to try them out to avoid painful mistake).

Just buy the adaptive sport seats if you can afford them. They're very comfortable/supportive. Nicer than standard.

Oh, if you are very tall 6'3" (?) or taller maybe you should try them both.

Try them both!

I'm 5' 10" and 180 lbs and neither the sports nor adaptives fit - too narrow across the shoulders. That's why you need to try both the standard and the sports seats before buying.

Re: Try them both!

Quote:
    Le Chef said:
    I'm 5' 10" and 180 lbs and neither the sports nor adaptives fit - too narrow across the shoulders. That's why you need to try both the standard and the sports seats before buying.

You might be an exception.

Porsche made sure to emphasize, in their brochures, the significant improvements to the 997 seats over the 996/986. Recall that the 996/986 sport seats were very problematic for people as far as "shoulder pinch" was concerned.

The new 997 seats (both) have remedied that problem.

Check the archives and find what I reported above represents a consensus.

Standard or adaptive seats is one of my biggest remaining question marks.

I'm 6'6" and 250 lbs (50 XL jacket). I recall that the taller rennteamers have recommended the adaptive. However, my dealer has tried to steer me away from the adaptive seats, citing the problems with the 996 version. He won't even order a 997 demo model with adaptive- so I'll probably have to try them at another dealership( over 100 mi away).

Good luck with your decision! Hopefully you'll have an easier time trying them both.

I am 6'1 quite broad shouldered. I have the sports seats and find them very comfortable.

We have the standard seats and altough the sportseats support you better, I found the standard ones a lot better than those in the 996...
    I have electric seats with memoryfunction and one can adjust them pretty well.

I believe there is also a third option for the Sports seat without some of the electronic adjustments that the Adaptive sports seats offer ....and it cost alot less than both the standard electric seat and the adpative version too.

by the way

for those who didnt get the electric seat..

is the manaul adjustment still very precise?..or very rough

Quote:
    SVNSVN said:
    However, my dealer has tried to steer me away from the adaptive seats, citing the problems with the 996 version. He won't even order a 997 demo model with adaptive- ...

Your dealer is a jerk.

I'm 6'4" @ 215 and wear a 45 L/XL jacket. The new-style adaptive sport seats I tried in a 997S were the most comfortable sport seats I've ever experienced in a Porsche. 993 and 996 sport seats were less comfortable, and offered only minimally more support, than the 993/996 standard seats.

If the 997 seats were the of the same style available in the 993/996, I wouldn't want them in a million years. However, the new style adaptive sport seats are truly wonderful. Your dealer needs to get a better education in what current options are all about

You owe it to yourself to test out the new adaptive sport seats before you make a final purchase decision.

Thank you Mike!

I would love to have the adaptive seats! I will try them out- even if I have to drive a distance to do so.Hopefully he'll get in a 997 with that option that I can try. I'm going to ask again today.

All the best,
    Richard

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    SVNSVN said:
    However, my dealer has tried to steer me away from the adaptive seats, citing the problems with the 996 version. He won't even order a 997 demo model with adaptive- ...

Your dealer is a jerk.

I'm 6'4" @ 215 and wear a 45 L/XL jacket. The new-style adaptive sport seats I tried in a 997S were the most comfortable sport seats I've ever experienced in a Porsche. 993 and 996 sport seats were less comfortable, and offered only minimally more support, than the 993/996 standard seats.

If the 997 seats were the of the same style available in the 993/996, I wouldn't want them in a million years. However, the new style adaptive sport seats are truly wonderful. Your dealer needs to get a better education in what current options are all about

You owe it to yourself to test out the new adaptive sport seats before you make a final purchase decision.

I agree. The adaptive sport seats are incredibly comfortable. What I noticed while cleaning the interior yesterday was the cushion that rests against your back and spine is a seperate cushion from the bolsters that also rest against your back. The middle cushion is seperate and moves independently. A really nice design.
    Plus the adjustable lumbar support on the adaptive sport seat is a must for me. Being able to adjust the bottom and side bolsters is a big plus. Besides the comfort the adaptive sport seat looks incredible compared to the standard seat. From the front and rear. Much more sporty.

Quote:
    SVNSVN said:
    Thank you Mike!

I would love to have the adaptive seats! I will try them out- even if I have to drive a distance to do so.Hopefully he'll get in a 997 with that option that I can try. I'm going to ask again today.

All the best,
    Richard

How tall are you Richard?

If you're 6'1" or fewer just order them and be done with it. You might have a very long drive to find a car equipped with them.

Extremely remote possibility: they are uncomfortable when you finally get them? Then go to a top notch car upholsterer and maybe have the cushioning modified a bit. (extremely remote chance you'll have to do this).

I tried both the standard and sport seat. I prefered the standard manual (read non-electric) seat and that is what I ordered. The adjustment is pretty good, although not as good as an electric.

Quote:
    19th hole said:
    I tried both the standard and sport seat. I prefered the standard manual (read non-electric) seat and that is what I ordered. The adjustment is pretty good, although not as good as an electric.

Are you 6'4" or 6'6"?

I ordered the standard seats.. The adaptive sport seats wes a nightmare when I took the test drive car .. I seriously felt very very uncomftable and I only drove it for half a day.. I can't live with that seat.. Yeah I will be taking the car to the track as I do with most of my cars. And I know that I will miss being held in my chair but I'm also going to use this car daily and will be using it on the road more than on the track and I need something to be comftable.. By the way I noticed that the head rest is pushed very forward to .. It's a little strange and need getting use to..

my problem is this..I ordered the car with adaptive sport. dealer missed it on the order, and order can not be changed. they can reorder with another month or more delay.tonight I'm off to the dealer to plant my butt in both.
    My rationalization for the standard non electric seat is that I am the only driver.
    thanks for all the opinions
    perry

Quote:
    Evo_Dubai said:
    I ordered the standard seats.. The adaptive sport seats wes a nightmare when I took the test drive car .. I seriously felt very very uncomftable and I only drove it for half a day.. I can't live with that seat..

Holy Cow Evo, you're freaking me out! I, like most guys, could not find a 997 equipped with Sport seats and just ordered them based on lots of research of other guys' opinions of them on teh various boards. My car is on the way and **** I hope you are wrong!

I'm 6'6", 230 lb and the sport seats (non-adaptive)fit me just great!!

MMD,
    I hope I am wrong really.. Wores thing is having something you don't want.. But really just try them if you don't like them you can ask your dealer to change them with normal seats that's wores case...

I put my butt in both, and the fact is you can't go wrong with either seat.
    the standard is much improved over the 996, but the sport offers even better seating plus the lumbar adjustment.What I can't abide is the manual adjustment levers and plastic rake adjustment.
    90 + K and a no electric seats..I don"t think so ,Homer.
    looks like the dealer is going to be ordering me another car..997S seal gray/full leather/chrono/bose/cd / manual seats/and a few other goodies..coming to a south jersey dealer in july...available I guess
    perry

Quote:
    Evo_Dubai said:
    By the way I noticed that the head rest is pushed very forward to .. It's a little strange and need getting use to..

I wonder whether the head rest would be a hindrance if you were to put on a helmet for trackdays??

Quote:
    peecarfan said:

looks like the dealer is going to be ordering me another car..

Aw geez, that's a shame. What's wrong, if both seats are fine for you why not get the car? Now you might as well order mid-winter to avoid a late fall delivery in NJ? (i.e. spring delivery in your area would be muuuuch nicer than looking at the car in the garage all winter)

I like the way the sport seats look. They just fit the looks of the car better, IMHO. Yea, they are expensive, but so is the car.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    SVNSVN said:
    Thank you Mike!

All the best,
    Richard

How tall are you Richard?

If you're 6'1" or fewer just order them and be done with it. You might have a very long drive to find a car equipped with them.

Extremely remote possibility: they are uncomfortable when you finally get them? Then go to a top notch car upholsterer and maybe have the cushioning modified a bit. (extremely remote chance you'll have to do this).

MMD, I'm 6'6" 250 lbs (50 XLong jacket). Thanks for your input! Good luck!

I called my dealer today and he said he would call and find a dealership with a 997 with the adaptive sport seats for me to try. He's a nice guy, very helpful too. He was basing his opinion on the 996 sport seats- he's 6'2" and they weren't comfy for him(pinched his shoulder blades).

I'm pretty sure I'll select the adaptive-if they are fine for Mike and Peter, then they should work for me too. I just want to make absolutely sure they fit me (everyone is shaped differently).

Stradale and porsche nut, I agree- the adaptive/sport seats do fit the car better IMO (especially the Cab ).

Stradale, thank you for the description of the adaptive seats!

Perry,
    So did you decide on the adaptive sport, or sport?
    Good luck!

Richard

the ori seats are very good,
    the adaptive are also good, but the backside is better protected , no leather ...kids , shoes ....

<< What's wrong, if both seats are fine for you why not get the car? Now you might as well order mid-winter to avoid a late fall delivery in NJ>>

I couldn't justify spending the $$ for the car without electric seats. I can accept manual adjustment on my mini, and frankly the controls are less conspicuous on the mini. I 'm spending 3,300 for full leather and another 1,300 for the center console in leather, and the manual seat would have bothered me forever.
    also, the electric offers a tilt feature that is absent on the manual adjustment
    as it came down today, due to their screw up, and it sounds like a bit of begging, the dealer was granted another allocation, with supposedly a july build, and they re ordered the car
    after my sit down in both, last night, I opted for the standard seat/ w electric adjustments. I spent the saved money on the tire pressure monitoring option.
    Not that I would have hated the sport, but they did catch me in my shoulder blades. the lumbar would have been nice, but the standard was just more comfortable for me.
    as any car dealer will tell you, there is an ass for every seat

One thing, regardless of which seat you get, I love the fact that Porsche has lowered the seating. On the 996, I always felt like I was riding ON the seat instead of IN it.

Non Sport Electrics have Lumbar

I have them in my car and they certainly have 4-way lumbar. Enjoy the car when it arrives.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777207 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441699 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262779 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260951 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85223 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5568 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880655 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815942 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM