Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

7:40 Nurburging for Corvette C6 Z06

On the Corvette websites, they're claiming the new Z06 did 7:40 (source is Auto-Bild Magazine in Germany). That is a scorching time for a car that costs $65k. That is well faster than a 996 GT2...

Can any of our German friends confirm this?

BTW, the Z06 comes with run-flat tires that are not so hot - worse than regular street tires like Michelin PS2. With R-rubber (like the BMW CSL and GT3RS), the time would've been incredible!

Re: 7:40 Nurburging for Corvette C6 Z06

Street setup? Tires? Etc?....

lots of questions...amazing time anyhow.

Ryan - The test would've been made with a total factory setup (stock run-flat tires, stock alignment, brake pads, etc.). There is some doubt, however, that the time is legitimate - I'm still waiting for confirmation/authentication though...

Sorry, but 7:40 seems totally out of the question for the Z06 specs IMO. If it made a 7:43-7:45 it would be an incredible acomplishment that no other maker except Porsche can match at the ring, but 7:40... I don't think so. Wonder if it was "full" lap unlike the best motoring guys with the NSX-R, or its a "guesstimate" discounting traffic delays, or whatever. I expect for the Z06 to be of the few or only cars that can match Porsche at the ring but 7:40 is just not credible, and we remember what happened recenetly with the M5 lap time rumors and claims and the Aston AMV8 ring lap times as well...
    Leave it to Saurma to be able to draw a legintimate lap time.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Sorry, but 7:40 seems totally out of the question for the Z06 specs IMO. If it made a 7:43-7:45 it would be an incredible acomplishment that no other maker except Porsche can match at the ring, but 7:40... I don't think so. Wonder if it was "full" lap unlike the best motoring guys with the NSX-R, or its a "guesstimate" discounting traffic delays, or whatever. I expect for the Z06 to be of the few or only cars that can match Porsche at the ring but 7:40 is just not credible, and we remember what happened recenetly with the M5 lap time rumors and claims and the Aston AMV8 ring lap times as well...

Carlos, I am also a bit skeptical, but I don't think it's completely out of the question. Why couldn't it be 4 sec. faster than a GT2 (7:44) with more power and torque, less weight, and bigger tires/brakes?

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:

Carlos, I am also a bit skeptical, but I don't think it's completely out of the question. Why couldn't it be 4 sec. faster than a GT2 (7:44) with more power and torque, less weight, and bigger tires/brakes?

Grant,

Firstly, the Z06 does not weigh less than a GT2. At least not according to both manufacturer's claim.

Secondly, the GT2 is equipped with PCCB, which are far superior to the Z06's conventional steel brakes.

Lastly, the Z06 rides on EMT run-flats that are much
    heavier than standard tires. They also provide less grip.

Also, the power advantage is very slight(500 vs. 477).

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:Firstly, the Z06 does not weigh less than a GT2. At least not according to both manufacturer's claim.

Secondly, the GT2 is equipped with PCCB, which are far superior to the Z06's conventional steel brakes.

Lastly, the Z06 rides on EMT run-flats that are much
    heavier than standard tires. They also provide less grip.

Also, the power advantage is very slight(500 vs. 477).

SV -
    1. The weight of the GT2 is badly understated in the Porsche literature. Owners have reported MUCH higher weights when they've had them on race scales. The C5 Z06's weight was accurated stated by GM, so I am assuming the same for this version.

2. The PCCB brakes on the GT2 are first generation PCCB and almost unanimously considered a failure for track use. They are by all accounts inferior to the new 6-piston, 6 pad/caliper setup of the new Z06.

3. You are correct about the EMT's - historically, they are not as good as regular sport tires. However, this is a new generation of EMT's that are supposedly much improved. Also, the front tires on the Z06 are 275's, so there is more braking friction available (compared to 235).

4. The power of the Z06 is 505hp and it has a VERY flat torque curve from idle to 7k (higher redline than GT2) that peaks at 470 ft/lbs with NO turbo lag.

Grant, at this moment everything about the Z06 is just speculation, and massive overhype. Let's wait for real tests before any conclusions .

Brunner - some of this is speculation (lap times), but much of the rest is established as fact.

I agree that waiting for more info would be wise - I'm just not a very patient guy

Sorry, but it's hard for me to take as 'fact' things like 'the new tires should be better'

Quote:
    brunner said:
    Sorry, but it's hard for me to take as 'fact' things like 'the new tires should be better'

True - this is speculation. However, run-flat tires are a rather young technology, so it's entirely logical that the new generation should improve, no?

This is not a very important point anyways. If the EMT tires are not improved, then they are easily replaced with another brand/type. I don't expect the originals to last long for most owners anyways

There will be many nay sayers but I am hearing from very reliable sources the Z06 will out perform all the European cars with the exception of the CGT, Enzo and the speciality cars like the Radical and Dunkerfoort. If this time holds up then Porsche which designs all its cars for the Ring performance is going to have to put a TT engine in the Cayman to beat the Z06.

I think you may be right, Nick. And for all you naysayers, I think if Porsche customers took competition like the Corvette a bit more seriously, the results would be VERY positive for us, the customers.

If Porsche perceived a need to compete with Corvette on price and performance, maybe we'd get something like a Cayman with a GT3 motor, gearbox, LSD, and suspension for $65k, instead of PASM, no LSD, and a de-tuned 1999 996 wet sump motor for $58k...

I thought Vettes didn't handle as weel as Porsches, especially a 996 GT2. Does anybody have any comments on handling issues?

Quote:
    MG said:
    I thought Vettes didn't handle as weel as Porsches, especially a 996 GT2. Does anybody have any comments on handling issues?

MG - Handling is a very subjective criterion (how does the car feel to the driver - what kind of feedback and control does it have - how much confidence does it inspire - can you feel how close you are to the limit of the tires). However, Roadholding is objective (how fast can the car go around the corner). The Z06 is just as good at roadholding (it can corner just as fast as a GT2). However, I have never driven a Corvette (C5 Z06 and C6 Z51) that came close to handling like a Porsche - the steering was inexact and numb. I am hoping that the C6 Z06 is a huge improvement, but I don't know...

Quote:
    nberry said:
    There will be many nay sayers but I am hearing from very reliable sources the Z06 will out perform all the European cars with the exception of the CGT, Enzo and the speciality cars like the Radical and Dunkerfoort. If this time holds up then Porsche which designs all its cars for the Ring performance is going to have to put a TT engine in the Cayman to beat the Z06.

Common guys. This is getting ridiculous. We are talking about a GM product here. At its price a Corvette may offer a fair value. But it is not in the same league as a Porsche. Outside the US hardly anybody would consider it as an alternative to a serious sports car.

The 400hp version is slower than a 350hp Carrera. In straight line performance as well as on the track. CR even passed the 400hp Corvette in his Cayenne (!) on the Autobahn recently! And then you guys consider the possibility that the "Z06" might be close to a GT2 in terms of performance? With run flat tires and 500hp which probably equal about 400 Porsche hp?

The Corvette's only advantage is its low price. I cannot envisage any serious TT or GT2 buyer to even consider a car like the Corvette

Quote:
    nberry said:

I can well imagine that they would love to do so

MKSGR,
    I will wait patiently for the official results, but to name this as just another GM product doesn't seem fair at this point. Handling, subjective qualities, interior quality, etc. aside, is the performance not impressive?

I understand what you are saying about cross shopping with a GT2 in many respects, because they are different markets. But if the Z06 produces near 996 GT2 numbers, I think the value is incredible and it should be considered a serious sports car.

I'm not necessarily saying this is a car I would be interested in for anything but raw track numbers. There is value to be placed on a communicative handling experience and a well crafted interior, or things of that nature. For me, an involving experience is what I enjoy.

If it produces impressive numbers, some credit is due. A comparitively priced Porsche would be a Cayman S and that's not even remotely close.

Yes, at some point it does come down to price, but half the price of the next best performing Porsche is incredible. It seems like the Z06 is closer in performance to the GT2, than a GT2 is to a CGT.

- J

Does anybody know the lap time for a F430?

Quote:
    Grant said:Why couldn't it be 4 sec. faster than a GT2 (7:44) with more power and torque, less weight, and bigger tires/brakes?

Because IMO 4 seconds in those lap times is really dificult to achieve, the Pagani Zonda with carbon fiber chasis & more power is only able to pull 2 seconds on the GT2. The GT2 is Ring tunned and is notoriously fast there compared to other cars with better paper specs, so the GT2 is the ring refference that plays at home sort of say, with similar specs the GT2 can do more at the ring. Also the Z06 uses run-flats which no matter how imporved versus previous generation they are still behind high-performance summer tires such as the top notch PS2's that the GT2 uses stock, and in a track as long as the ring, that is several seconds loss right there and even more so in a bumpy roung surface as the ring since the runflats ar so stiff and heavy, were in a smooth track as hockenheim the runflats may not behave as bad. Another factor is that the ring is such a high speed tract that aerodinamics for those high speed turns is very important and the GT2 has an aerokit with even positive downforce, wereas in normal slower tracks its negligeable. The PCCB brakes is also an advantage and even though they are first generation they still brake just as well and even more important they have superior resisnatce to fade, the issue with firts gen PCCB?s was premature wear form track use leading to very expensive maintenance. The ring is a very special track that may yield different results that what you would expect in normal track. So IMO if the Z06 matches the GT2 then its a extraordinary achievement, I would say 7:43-7:45 at most.

Quote:
    nberry said:

I dont think many people here like the suggestion and the initial facts that the less than posh Vette can outperform
    their beloved Porsches.

However, facts are facts. The Z06 was driven for its OFFICIAL lap times by the Dane who has won Le Mans in a Corvette and is their top driver. Maybe thats enough Euro content to dampen the naysayers.

It doesnt have to be posh inside or pretty outside to go fast. Get a clue, it weighs less than any 997, has 505hp
    and has substantial R/D from its racing victories in FIA
    GT racing.

I love Porsches, but once you have watched Corvettes just THUNDER by them you have to ask yourself what the heck is going on. In FIA and the US series racing the class that Porsche GT3Rs are in does not allow Corvettes because they are simply TOO FAST!! Wake up out there!!!! Maybe Porsche should offer Ostrich skin leather as the official new interior option for the woefully affluent but ignorant
    and geocentric. Its regrettable to see that the NIH syndrome
    is alive and well in places where it shouldnt be.

Yeah Jim, you really tell it like it is.. feeling happy now?

Quote:
    brunner said:
    Yeah Jim, you really tell it like it is.. feeling happy now?

Yes, its well known that a giant corporation with many wins at Le Mans is incapable of building a car that could ever do 7.40 at the ring with one of the worlds best drivers behind the wheel.

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Common guys. This is getting ridiculous. We are talking about a GM product here. At its price a Corvette may offer a fair value. But it is not in the same league as a Porsche. Outside the US hardly anybody would consider it as an alternative to a serious sports car.

The 400hp version is slower than a 350hp Carrera. In straight line performance as well as on the track. CR even passed the 400hp Corvette in his Cayenne (!) on the Autobahn recently! And then you guys consider the possibility that the "Z06" might be close to a GT2 in terms of performance? With run flat tires and 500hp which probably equal about 400 Porsche hp?

The Corvette's only advantage is its low price. I cannot envisage any serious TT or GT2 buyer to even consider a car like the Corvette

Your are dead wrong. The C6 beat the 997S in all test EXCEPT stopping distance 100-0.

The fact GM makes the car indicates it is not worthy of a Porsche? It is cheaper, faster in every category and close quality wise. The reason it does not sell in Europe is because of the protectionist attitude of the various countries.

With the strength of the Euro, the Corvette can be bought in Europe for less than what it cost in the US. However the various duties and taxes protect the local products.

BTW, for FYI guess what car is rated the best in Germany from the standpoint in quality...Toyota; Madza and then BMW.

How do you know the ZO6 can beat the 997s in everything?

Quote:
    MG said:
    How do you know the ZO6 can beat the 997s in everything?

Found a professional racing organization that will put a new Corvette Z06 into the same class as a 997 Carrera, S
    or GT3? There isnt any.

They might allow a non Z06 vette to race 997s, but not a Z06. The Corvettes Z06 starting point of 505hp/600ft lbs torque, and less weight is just too much of an advantage.

And none of the 997 projected variants will even have a prayer against the Blue Devil vette wich will weigh even less than the Z06, have 600 plus hp and 700ft lbs of torque.

Can someone put a link or a scan of the magazine where they found this.

The market case for the C6 Z06 (relative to Porsche's competitive products )has nothing to do with intenders of Turbos and GT2s .
    It's all about picking off some base 997
    and maybe 997S intenders and for sure Boxster S and Cayman S intenders ( which are $60-70 K cars when typical Porsche buyer options are specified ) who can't stretch to get Turbo performance and will give up " Porscheness " for bench race numbers .

Quote:
    MG said:

It was in one of the American magazines and they were testing a C6 and Carrera S. The base Carrera was out of its class so they needed to use the S. Try C&D or Motor Trend. The Corvette ended up out pointing the S based on price though the magazine felt overall the Porsche more of a refined sport car.

The 2006 Z06 would chew up the S. Its only competition will be the TT and that is questionable since the Z06 out performed the 996 TT with Hurley Haywood driving the TT.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    MG said:

It was in one of the American magazines and they were testing a C6 and Carrera S. The base Carrera was out of its class so they needed to use the S. Try C&D or Motor Trend. The Corvette ended up out pointing the S based on price though the magazine felt overall the Porsche more of a refined sport car.

The 2006 Z06 would chew up the S. Its only competition will be the TT and that is questionable since the Z06 out performed the 996 TT with Hurley Haywood driving the TT.

Nick, you are a devil to mention that Hurley Haywood, who has only won a bazillion races for Porsche, was whooped on in a 996TT by a subproletariat Volksvette.

The Blue Devil is the real train coming down the track. The Z06 has humble power compared to it, if you can call 0-60mph in 3.7 humble What will the 600hp and lighter
    Blue Devil do 0-100 mph in?

Of course its only a POS GM product with no racing history, international racing success, zero R&D, cant afford to rent the 'ring to get a official lap time and the company has zero engineering ability, so we cant hope for too much, can we?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778105 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442042 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262948 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261200 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85464 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5701 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880866 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816466 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM