Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tesla

That's hilarious

It's a Y-3, sell it to some Yohji Yamamoto fans for a premium indecision

It's a demonstration of parts interchangeability.  smiley

his wife got something special. Smiley

--

AM

As it happens, I am on my annual golf trip with buddies right now and I have a Model Y rental from Hertz for the week.

It was the cheapest option, $390 for the week. A domestic mid-size suv is at least $100 more.

Drove a Model 3 before, and now trying the Model Y. New car too, only 2000 miles on the clock. With correct matching sill plates. 

Putting around town is fine in the car, apart from the extremely jerky throttle/brake. Ride quality is fine, about on par with my Mach E, but worse than my new Mach E GT. 

The UI hasn't changed since I was last inside a Tesla, it's a giant screen of mess, nothing can be found easily. 

No CarPlay still, and no SiriusXM. For some unknown reason, playing music via bluetooth fro my phone means I have to control everything on my phone screen, can't do it with the car screen, it's just a black option box. Maybe there is a way, but can't be bothered to dig through every menu item to find it. 

Once on the highway, it's the scariest car I have ever driven! It's tracking fine up to about 60mph, but anything over, say 75-80mph, which is the travel speed on I15 north out of Vegas, the car start wandering, severely. Maybe it is extremely sensitive to cross wind, or maybe it has really bad alignment. When passing semis driving through the outwash I have to really hang onto the wheel, so I suspect it's the former. 

Literally drove the 90 miles north from Vegas to Mesquite with both hands on the wheel the whole time just to control the car. Been doing this trip for over a decade and I don't even do that when I was in a Suburban. A U-Haul moving truck is less sensitive to cross wind.

I think I know why Elon put Autopilot/FSD on the car, these are like F16 fighter jets, designed to be unstable and needed the computer to control it. My rental has both and I actually tried them out. The speed control is very good, I set it at 80 and it holds that, also gradually slow whenever approaching another car from behind to match that speed. But it also only gradually increase speed when I pull out to pass, a bit dangerous to be honest as it takes forever to complete the passing maneuver, would have prefer it apply more acceleration to complete the pass quicker like how normal humans do it. Oh, turning on the artificial control means the car suddenly behaves much better on the highway so I was correct in my assessment.  Only played with that for like 5-10 mins, turned it off and I regain control of the car, and back to wandering all over. Don't feel safe having the car wandering like that, but even less safe trusting the car to drive for me. 

The seat offer literally zero lateral support, they have side bolsters but I am at least 100lbs too light to take advantage of them to hold me in. Decent cushioning, but after the trip I definitely needed a stretch of my back. 

For the 90 mile trip it used 35% charge, extrapolate it out that puts the range ~250 miles for a full charge. Really not that impressive. My Taycans Mach Es and Lightning can do that. Only the e-Tron can't. 

Charging remains the biggest advantage of Tesla. At my hotel in Mesquite, there is a long line of Tesla chargers. If I go with another EV I will have to go a couple blocks away to a Walmart in order to charge up. 

Got a black car, the A/C is holding up alright in 35 degree heat. It also cools the car quite fast after sitting in the sun. The worse bit however is the windshield, don't think it has any reflective coating, the sun's heat is coming straight though, so when driving, there is a distinct hot zone where the sun shines onto the dash and a cool zone where it can't shine onto. At least the glass roof is coated, and it worked. 

--

maybe it's wandering in the highway because your's came with the model 3 suspension on the right side and the model Y suspension on the left? indecision

I’m intrigued by the EQG…

Tesla has optimized aerodynamics to deliver a low coefficient of drag. Often, optimizing aerodynamics to minimize drag neglects other parameters, such as the location of the center of pressure with respect to its polar moments, that help provide directional stability at higher speeds. German cars designed for high speed travel optimize all parameters sometimes at the expense of posting an extremely low drag coefficient. Stability is more important for most drivers than matching the drag of a bumble bee.

Carlos from Spain:

maybe it's wandering in the highway because your's came with the model 3 suspension on the right side and the model Y suspension on the left? indecision

They do share suspension bits...........

But boy, that trunk is close to useless. After the round we tried to squeeze 4 golf bags in the back, not happening unless we fold down the rear seats, and only then 1 back seat is left. So 3 golfers with 4 golf bags it is. 

It's a few inches short in every direction. I can cramp 4 in the trunk of the Mach E without folding the back seats. 

--

Yesterday we went to the neighbouring state Arizona to play golf, decided to truly explore all of Tesla's features.

About a 30 miles drive, I enabled to FSD after getting on the Interstate and initially it was fine, a bit unnerving to 'trust' the car to drive itself. Almost like riding with my son after he first got his license. 

My hands are still on the wheel but only holding lightly, not resisting anything the car does. It maintain good speed, lane control is great, tracking straight without that weaving from cross wind, I feel all the micro steering adjustments however.

It was all good until we hit a construction zone. The car saw the pylons, they showed up on the screen, the right lane ends and needed to marge to left. But no, the car decided those pylons aren't there, they are just phantom pylons and wanted to plow straight through the end of the lane. I had to brake HARD and turn left to avoid the pylons. That really wakes me up. Thank god I was looking ahead. Both my passengers scared shitless. One of them was going to buy a Model Y once we get home, not anymore. 

From then on, FSD no more, I am driving. Not the car.

--

Glad you were paying attention and that everything was OK. I have to imagine there is a class action lawsuit brewing about the fraud that is FSD.

It's the number 1 thing when driving, paying attention ahead. 

Have now finished my golf trip and back in Vegas for the weekend.

On the drive back, it was me driving, not the car. Can't trust some half baked software that's not ready for prime time.

I spent quite a bit of time trying to see what the Tesla camera sees. If cars are close by, it can see all of them, but the forward limit seems to be around 40-50m or so. A car that far ahead doesn't show up on the screen, but I can clearly see it, and anything 2-3-4miles up the road. It also can't see obstacles on the road either, there was a few tire carcasses  on the highway from semis having blow outs. Humans can clearly see those and take avoidance action, the Tesla doesn't. 

50m is only about 2 seconds of travel time at highway speed, it's about my normal separation when driving on highways.  Very disappointed that the car doesn't see that far out. 

Also more comments about the A/C, and the windscreen. Under 36 degree heat, that windscreen is useless. My knees and arms are cooking under the sun, but the cold air from the A/C is keeping up with the heat, so there is 2 distinct zone of temperature inside the car, very weird. 

--

Home now and jumped into my Mach E GT, wow, night and day difference compared to the Model Y. 

While I was stuck with a Tesla in Vegas, I met up with Gail and Dave Gordon for breakfast on Sunday, they have a Dodge Challenger Hemi to drive around in their epic road trip. Envious!!

The VW ID Buzz will be around the same price as a Model Y when it goes on sale. Nice feature rich interior, top notch ergonomics, this is what happened when real car designers design a car and no money is wasted on fluffs, aka Autopilot and FSD that don't even work. 

--

Whoopsy:

While I was stuck with a Tesla in Vegas, I met up with Gail  and Dave Gordon for breakfast on Sunday, they have a Dodge Challenger Hemi to drive around in their epic road trip. Envious!!

…. Gnil not Gail 😉  was really nice to meet up after all these years. 😎 Thanks again for breakfast  

now in San Diego. We had to pose with the mighty challenger covered in dead crickets in front of the world famous La Jolla Starbucks 😎

1684471220432e256667c-e23c-452a-8af4-31b14d554432.jpeg

Great to meet and put another face to a RT name, and thanks again for breakfast kiss 

Shame we couldn’t meet the other Nick in San Diego… next time!
    --

2019 911 GT3 RS,1964 Type 1

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

Cayenne Coupe Turbo 2020

Blueflame

Love it when RT makes it into the real world indecision

Gnil:
    Whoopsy:

While I was stuck with a Tesla in Vegas, I met up with Gail  and Dave Gordon for breakfast on Sunday, they have a Dodge Challenger Hemi to drive around in their epic road trip. Envious!!

…. Gnil not Gail 😉  was really nice to meet up after all these years. 😎 Thanks again for breakfast  

now in San Diego. We had to pose with the mighty challenger covered in dead crickets in front of the world famous La Jolla Starbucks 😎

1684471220432e256667c-e23c-452a-8af4-31b14d554432.jpeg

Ah yes of course, autocorrect strikes again as I didn't proof read.

Man you guys put on some miles around!! 

--

Enmanuel:

True... Smiley

Just met with tso in Dubai...what a nice and pleasant guy. Smiley Even my kids loved him, this means something. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), BMW Z4 M40i (2022), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

Enmanuel:

Smiley  Would be nice to meet some day. 

Gnil:
    Enmanuel:

Smiley  Would be nice to meet some day. 

+1 I'm sure our time will come ! 

If any members are ever in the Boston area, I'd love to say hello. SSO is sometimes in the area but we haven't been able to connect. And later this year I might be relocating to Miami, so then I can welcome members in the heat and humidity Smiley

Axios Harris Poll 100: Year of the tarnished titans

(23 May 2023)

FTX and Tesla, once seen as shining examples of innovation and opportunity, took two of the biggest reputational hits in this year's Axios Harris Poll 100 brand reputation survey.

Why it matters: Amid a crypto collapse and Musk madness, Americans have grown wary and weary of big ideas and powerful moguls who they feel have overpromised and underdelivered.

What we're watching: Elon Musk’s chaotic takeover of Twitter not only pushed the social media company's own ranking down but shook investors' faith in Tesla by making the public more aware of Musk's manic leadership style.

• Twitter ranked 97th among the 100 brands survey respondents identified as most visible in the country today. Its Reputational Quotient, or RQ®, score — a measure across seven dimensions touching on character, trust and trajectory — was 59.3 out of a possible 100.
    • Tesla saw one of the biggest reputation drops of the past year, from 11th in 2022 to 62nd place this year, with a 74.3 RQ (79.5 in 2022).
    • Crypto giant FTX made the list for the first time this year — ranking 99th of 100 for reputation, with an RQ of 58.6. The firm filed for bankruptcy last year following a liquidity crisis that was caused by what the government calls an illegal crypto-trading scheme. Its founder, Sam Bankman-Fried, was once considered one of the most successful young entrepreneurs in the world. Now he faces criminaI charges. 
    • FTX's fall took crypto with it. Bitcoin, though not a company, also joined the list for the first time this year as respondents named it as one of the most visible brands — and ranked it 93rd of 100 for reputation.
    • Social media companies overall have fallen from grace since 2018's Facebook/Cambridge Analytica scandal, according to the poll. TikTok and Facebook parent Meta saw reputational losses. They now rank 94th and 96th, respectively.

Link: https://www.axios.com/2023/05/23/ftx-tesla-reputation-rankings-2021

15E22DD2-C6F2-42B3-92AC-ADAA43C2AA48.png

23A03EF2-9E07-443F-9386-DDCCF7AA7A9F.jpeg

AFF3FC3B-3BFD-4756-8DFA-8B1F8B6C5B66.jpeg

60CB63AE-34AE-47B3-85B2-574179A25B51.jpeg

95083787-C88C-4634-A03C-13CB1C77D26E.jpeg

36D36892-28D4-44CD-BC39-020A7F73F746.jpeg

Link: https://www.axios.com/2023/05/23/corporate-brands-reputation-america

Most sold cars in Switzerland for the first 4 month of the year :

1 : Tesla Model Y

2: Audi Q3

3. Skoda Karoq

4. Skoda Octavia

5. BMW X1 

Eric, Dave, sorry I missed you guys. Would have loved to meet the both of you. I missed meeting you by two days because I left town to go to my home in Vermont. However, the two of you met me in spirit when you visited one of my favorite Starbucks. smiley

Btw, May is one of the worst weather months in San Diego. Cold, overcast and misty. It’s known as May grey..you have to go inland to get some warmth and sun.surprise

--

The purpose of life is to enjoy the moment.

“German authorities looking into possible data protection violations by Tesla”

(25 May 2023)

BERLIN, May 25 (Reuters) - German authorities have serious indications of possible data protection violations by Tesla, Handelsblatt newspaper reported on Thursday, citing the data protection office in the state where the carmaker has its European gigafactory.

Handelsblatt's report said the U.S. carmaker has failed to adequately protect data from customers, employees and business partners, citing 100 gigabytes of confidential data leaked to the newspaper by a whistleblower.

The breach would violate the European Union's General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the newspaper added.

Handelsblatt quoted a lawyer for Tesla as saying that a "disgruntled former employee" had abused his access as a service technician to get information, adding that the company would take legal action against the suspected ex-employee.

The whistleblower notified the German authorities about the data protection breach in April, according to the newspaper.

The matter would become serious from a data protection point of view if the evidence becomes substantial, a spokesperson for Brandenburg data protection office was quoted as saying by Handelsblatt.

The Brandenburg data protection office was not immediately available for comment.

Tesla was not immediately available for comment on the report.

Link: https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/german-authorities-looking-into-possible-data-protection-violations-by-tesla-2023-05-25/

Ford strikes deal with Tesla to gain access to rival charging stations in 2024

(25 May 2023)

May 25 (Reuters) - Ford Motor Co said on Thursday it has agreed with Tesla to allow its electric vehicle owners to gain access to more than 12,000 Tesla Superchargers in North America in early 2024.

A Tesla-developed adapter will provide Ford EVs fitted with the Combined Charging System (CCS) port access to Tesla’s V3 Superchargers. Ford will equip future EVs with a charge port, removing the need for an adapter for direct access to Tesla Superchargers, starting in 2025.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk and Ford CEO Jim Farley on Thursday will discuss efforts on "accelerating EV adoption in North America" during an online Twitter Spaces conversation, Ford said. Twitter is owned by Musk.

The event comes just a day after Twitter crashed repeatedly during a highly anticipated live audio chat between Musk and Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, setting back Musk's efforts to promote the social media firm he bought for $44 billion last year.

Farley said earlier on Thursday at a Morgan Stanley forum that "on the infrastructure side, I think it's room for some collaboration between the auto companies, which is totally unnatural for us."

Farley added, "I think we need to start – I mean, I think the first step is to work together in a way we haven't, probably with the new EV brands and the traditional old companies."

For example, he called it "totally ridiculous" that the industry has multiple plugs for its charging networks and "we can't even agree on what plug to use."

This year, Tesla has opened some of its U.S. Supercharger networks to non-Tesla EVs, which use a competing charging standard, CCS or "Combined Charging System" as the Biden administration seeks to provide billions of subsidies to expand charging networks.

Musk earlier this month tweeted: "I think Ford’s overall strategy with EVs is smart. The electric F-150 (Lightning) has high demand."

He also defended Ford over its losses on its electric vehicle business. "Always tough with margins for new vehicle lines, especially when there are major technology shifts."

Farley said on Thursday that Ford should take the lead to reach out to a new company like a Tesla or a Nio Inc or BYD "to kind of work together in a non-natural way as competitors. I think you'll see Ford do that just because that's what kind of company we are."

Link: https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/tesla-ford-ceos-talk-evs-twitter-forum-2023-05-25/

AC4A14F0-41F6-42EA-93B3-73C2218F2963.png

Tesla accused of ignoring customer complaints over autopilot safety

Drivers claim cars ‘too dangerous for the road’ in documents leaked by whistleblowers

(26 May 2023)

Tesla has been hit by claims it is ignoring customer concerns about potentially lethal flaws with its Autopilot driver assistance system after a data leak.

Thousands of files shared by whistleblowers with German newspaper Handlesblatt detail Tesla’s handling of crash investigations, in which customers claimed their cars are “simply too dangerous for the road”. 

The drivers named in the leaks and contacted by the newspaper accused Teslaof brushing off their concerns about its Autopilot technology. 

It is alleged that employees are given strict guidelines over how to reply to complaints, with some drivers claiming that Tesla workers were urged to avoid written communication to “offer as little attack surface as possible”, Handelsbatt said. 

The Autopilot software, launched in 2015, is a set of driver assistance and safety tools that include automatic cruise control, lane guidance and automatic braking. 

Tesla, under the orders of billionaire chief executive Elon Musk, has also launched a more advanced “full self-driving” version of its system in North America.

918F8017-D790-4CC5-9440-C1448E25C3DF.png

The files shared with Handlesblatt included details of 2,400 complaints about cars accelerating unexpectedly and 1,500 automatic braking problems – including 139 cases of unintentional emergency braking and 383 “phantom stops”.

One customer, who complained about his car “phantom braking”, claimed Tesla showed an “absolute lack of any concern given the seriousness of the security problems”. 

The leaked data included information on more than 1,000 crashes.

Tesla’s lawyers said Handlesblatt was in possession of “stolen Tesla confidential information” that it believed had been leaked by a “disgruntled ex-employee”.

The company said a former employee had “misused his access as a service technician to exfiltrate information in violation of his signed non-disclosure agreement, Tesla’s data management policies and practices and EU and German law”. 

Tesla was contacted for comment.

The newspaper said it was publishing the information as it believed the data leak included exceptional information in the public interest.

Data protection authorities in Brandenburg, where Tesla’s German gigafactory is located, and in the Netherlands have been examining the apparent breach, which also included personal information on thousands of Tesla employees. 

According to internal guidelines for Tesla, the company told employees to avoid writing down certain information about complaints from customers.

One document told employees: “Do not copy and paste the report below into an email, text message or leave it in a voicemail to the customer”. 

Tesla is battling multiple legal claims in the US over deaths where its Autopilot system was allegedly engaged. 

In one case, the family of Gilberto Lopez, who was killed in a collision with a Tesla Model S in 2019, is suing the driver and the company. The driver allegedly did not break at a red light or try to avoid Lopez’s Honda, despite his Autopilot system being engaged.

Tesla has said the accident was “in no way caused by the actions or omissions of Tesla”.

Link: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/05/26/elon-musk-tesla-leak-autopilot-safety-electric-cars/

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688228 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408581 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255484 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234704 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65333 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4632 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857460 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773172 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM