Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Running-in warrantee issues list

Just thought I'd start this thread to document rattles and faults that have had to be fixed in the early ownership of the 987. Perhaps it could be made a sticky topic?

If you all could list the description of the fault, the build date of your car, and how the issue was resolved, that'd give the rest of us an idea of what to look out for, and how the faults are distributed along the production run.

I don't intend this thread to go into detailed discussion of the issue - perhaps each thing could be discussed in a non-sticky thread, and then link to that thread from a post here?

Cheers!

Re: Running-in warrantee issues list

Jan 05 build Boxster S. No faults at all.

Right.. here goes (Jan 05 build, just after they spent all their time on Dreamcar's car and were wanting to get out to go down the pub)

- Rattle from engine heat sheilds (*)
    - Broken air vents in console
    - Squeaky near side rear wheel (delaer removed wheel, couldn't see anything but hasn't happened again since)
    - Slack handbrake (tightened by dealer - has seen this on other cars)
    - Cracking noise from dash when traversing a camber (*)
    - Rattle from air/con stereo in centre consol (dealer fix)
    - Rattle from door bin lids (Porsche have a official fix for this replacing the hinges)
    - Rattle from windstop (*)
    - Various roof rattles (fixed at dealer)

(*) - yet to be resolved - car going in AGAIN next week.

But nothing compared to Steve's issues me thinks

Aug 04 build Kia Picanto 1.2 LX. No faults at all. Want to swap Rich C? You'll get an extra years warranty as well. And an MP3 player and a smooth leather (non-sports) steering wheel. 0-60mph approx 3 weeks. Top speed nearly as quick as a milk float.

Jan05 build Boxster S.
    Was flawless so far until the plastic flaps for vertical air flow adjustment came loose in both center dash vents. Scheduled for repair on Jun 30.

Oi! This isn't supposed to be a discussion thread!
    I was hoping RC would stickyfy it.

Feb 05 build 987s

Funnily enough the car is in Porsche centre having some work done now

Not too bad though, just a few little things and other than these car has been fine.

* Rattle from instrument cluster
    * Slack handbrake
    * Broken wing mirror. (Internal clips broken, whole unit was loose and wobbled around.
    * Rubbish, rubbish, rubbish radio reception on FM!

Hopefully getting back tomorrow all fixed and ready to go

Rich - The Germans don't have "frietag" cars they have "montag" cars. According to my wife who lived in Germany for many years in her previous life. Don't know what the arrangements are in Finland.

Jan/Feb build

- rattle in console (near PSM button)
    - rattle behind driver seat- w/deflector??
    - clip inside air.con vent in the centre broken

all booked in in 1months time to fix.

Quote:
    Rich - The Germans don't have "frietag" cars they have "montag" cars

That's correct, and I would think the Monday attribute for affected cars extends all the way up north into Finland just for good measure.

Got a broken airvent on the dash as well, yet to be fixed.

What was the build date Turboost?

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    Oi! This isn't supposed to be a discussion thread!
    I was hoping RC would stickyfy it.

Are you happy now?

May I add something to the whole thread: for me personally, a Porsche is a sportscar. Even our Cayenne Turbo is some sort of a family sports car for me.
    Sports cars are stiff and sporty, this is why they rattle more than other cars, not to talk about squeaking/rattle/etc. noises from the interior.
    I started to "overhear" those noises, maybe because I don't care anymore.

When I drove to Porsche to have them my Cayenne throttle/shifting hesitation issue checked, the engineer who testdrove with me our Cayenne immediately asked me if I want them to get rid of all those annoying noises too.
    Noises? I asked him very suprised. What noises? And then he started to notify me each time he heard a noise and he was right, I started to hear them too.

I never cared about noises and never will. They come and go (after dealer fix) and come again. Don't EVER expect from a Roadster/Cab a noise free environment. You won't get it.

So it really depends on the driver/owner. Some pay much more attention to interior noises than others.

A few years ago, somebody I know wanted to sell his GT3 because of interior noises. I drove his car and actually found everything to be fine. He ended up in a Mercedes S-class and was happy ever after.

Ahhh, thanks RC, big buddy, O'Omnipotent one...
    (Is that enough creeping? )

I know what you mean about the rattles. I have to say I too have a slight rattle now on my May 05 Built 987S, that came on at about 1500 miles. Or at least I think I do. It's somewhere over by the glove compartment. I've been meaning to try to localise it further, but it kinda skips my mind every time I put my foot on the 'loud' pedal....

I'm fully expecting some trim to need tightening up at first service.

The sort of noises I find distracting are the ones that sounds like they come from the mechanical bits. I think you do have to listen out for these sort of things, as they can be an early indication of something serious.

The vents do seem to be a weak point though.

April Build 987S

* Rattle from instrument cluster
    * Slack handbrake
    * Front bumper very slightly misaligned with the hood.
    * Vibration from the right speaker or door (can't pinpoint the source - only happens with specific low frequencies when the radio is playing - Bose)

I haven't yet bothered my dealer about any of these small problems except for the fact that my PCM does not play MP3's. Since that by the time my car arrived at the dealer (around April 20) it already had a part that had been replaced with a newer one, I'm going to try to get something done about this. Let's see how it will turn out.

Build was 2004, delivery was in january 2005

Squeaks when I go over bumps and the front crest spun around. Got the crest fixed. The vanity light broke when the roof snagged the visor. They fixed that no questions asked.

thanks badbradphx,
    What was the build month/year?
    Does it still squeak, or has dealer fixed it? Was it mechanical, or just trim squeaking?
    And are you kidding about the badge?!? the one on the front hood?

I'd honestly rather not have my dashboard taken apart but I figure the vents will need fixing at some point during the 2 yrs warranty period. The question is just should I wait until the end of the warranty time, giving it a chance to accumulate any more dashboard related faults in order to limit the number of times the car needs to be touched?

March 05 Build

- window glitches (when I do automatic raising, window comes back down, the same goes for when I engage the top mechanism

Quote:
    Esmanolo said:
    March 05 Build

- window glitches (when I do automatic raising, window comes back down, the same goes for when I engage the top mechanism

Have a look in the manual - I don't have it to hand, but I have a vague recollection that there's a way to reset the 'top' position of the windows.

Quote:
    front crest spun around

Well at least you don't have random people grinning at you when you're waiting at a traffic light, then bending down and and starting to carefully polish the hood crest with their sleeve. Happened to me today.. funny as hell.

Add to my list the good old broken dash air vents....
    Funnily enough these were broken whilst the car was in the Porsche Centre undergoing work on the other broken bits!! Monkeys.

One of mine is broken, but the dealer told me he will replace ALL the Vents next week! So a very well known defect !

Quote:
    RichJ said:
    Add to my list the good old broken dash air vents....
    Funnily enough these were broken whilst the car was in the Porsche Centre undergoing work on the other broken bits!! Monkeys.

The mechanics at your Porsche centre must have gone to the same training course as my BMW dea;er. They caused more problems than they fixed on my last car. The one reason why I would never, ever have a BMW again. Even risked the life of my wife when they screwed up the brakes during a regular brake fluid change.

Ouch!!!!

I was pretty p1ssed that they had broken my car but at least they didnt do anything dangerous.

They carried out the brake fluid change and then proceeded to cross thread and wreck the seat of a bleed screw on one of the calipers. They never bothered to check for leaks and within 50 miles all the brake fluid had leaked away. The warning lights lit up like a Christmas tree and my wife was abandoned in the middle of the New Forest in mid winter on her own. Thank heavens for mobile phones and BMW assist that arrived in less than 1 hour. They refilled the fluid and it was when I put the car on the lift at the offending BMW dealer the next day that the fault was found. To compound it grit had got in under the bleed screw seat wrecking it which required a new caliper which the dealers tried to charge me for as they said it wouldn't be covered under the extended warranty we had taken out. Very briefly, I might add. The car was off the road for 3 days waiting for the new caliper. They did lend me a Z4 3.0 which is probably the most uncomfortable car I have ever driven.

Rusty suspension bolts
    Paint flaw (2)
    Tyre pressure way to high
    Dash rattle (in twice never fixed)
    Broken air vent
    Dealer applied scratches
    Dealer ruined mats
    Passenger seat rattle
    Roof rattle
    Roof bits fell out
    CD now skips over bumps
    Broken cupholder
    Wrong stereo demoed!
    Wrong steering wheel!
    Oily passenger seat courtesy of the mechanic

I'm sure there is more!!

At least it's getting replaced in about a month!!

OMG, Steve! Nightmare!

Still no problems on mine, apart from a slight rattle from passenger dash area, and a user applied scratch.

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    OMG, Steve! Nightmare!

Still no problems on mine, apart from a slight rattle from passenger dash area, and a user applied scratch.

Getting a new motor though after 6 weeks of terrible service from the OPC and Porsche! Should be all fine now!!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762396 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435331 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260505 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257559 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80947 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5321 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872249 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807618 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM