Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 488 GTB/GTS

RC:
    noone1:

All cars make sense since they'll all just share technology. Lamborghini, Audi, and Porsche can all have success exotic cars if it's all group technology. There is more than enough wealth in the world to accommodate healthy sales for all of them, especially if they have different price points.

$200K R8, $250K 960, $300K Lamborghini. Works fine.

The Huracan and the R8 are quite close, price-wise, in Germany. It works because the Huracan is an exotic, the R8 is socially more acceptable and lacks the reputation of the Lambo. I do not see the R8 next to a 960 though, especially if they are performance-wise close to each other, even if they have a different price tag. 

I love my R8 but I do not see what this car has to do with Audi and their "bread and butter" products.

Compared to the M Gmbh and even AMG products, I think the Quattro GmbH is having a more exotic approach, probably resulting in the only true German super sportscar, the R8. Yes, the 911 Turbo S is a super sportscar as well but it is not using your typical sports car design. The 918 is of course in the same category (more hypercar than super sportscar) but since Porsche doesn't produce it anymore, the R8 is the only one left. 

Sorry but I really think that Audi needs to give up the R8, for the sake of Porsche. It would be funny for Porsche to develop the next R8 but not be "permitted" to offer a car in the same class of their own. Doesn't make sense to me.

The entire Lamborghini brand isn't bread and butter and worth practically nothing in the scope of things, neither will be a 960 Porsche. Porsche's bread and butter is the Cayenne. Exotics mean very little in the scope of VW's future and success. They pour money into them simply because they're established and it doesn't make sense not to at this point. Some profit is better than no profit, and it lets them test new/expensive technologies, like the hybrid aluminum/CF chassis in the R8/Huracan for example.

we all know that Porsche is able to give us 918 and 911 only to the fact that the biggest part of the production is cayenne and macan. And thanks to people buying those kind of cars that is somewhere around 70/80% of the sales if I remenber right an article of car industry of some time ago. so basically a sport car producer that became a suv producer , with the other companies in the family doing sport cars that are serious competitors to Porsche's sport cars.

And probably the R8 is a better car than the 911, been driving both a lot and I have to admit that I prefer the R8 over a 911 turbo.

--

993 c2

xander71:

And probably the R8 is a better car than the 911, been driving both a lot and I have to admit that I prefer the R8 over a 911 turbo.

Traitor! Smiley

Smiley Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

bluelines:
    xander71:

Traitor! Smiley

Smiley Smiley

this is becasue I have never driven a gt4 I guessSmiley.......

--

993 c2

The current R8 provides more fun than the 911 Turbo, this is true. Performance-wise, the new R8 V10 Plus is basically at the same level as the latest 991.2 Turbo S but since the R8 tickles the right senses (V10 engine, exhaust sound) and has a much nicer interior (911 interior looks outdated in comparison, even after the facelift), I enjoy driving my R8 much more than my 911 GTS Cab. The Cab is only nice when it is warm and sunny outside I have to admit.

What I like about Ferrari and the 488 GTB is one thing: They switched to a turbo charged engine but in return, they gave  the customer some sorts of compensation for it, kind of apology. Not only did they give the car 100 horses more but they also tried very hard to make it still sound like a real Ferrari. 

I applaude Porsche for giving the new 911 Turbo S active aerodynamics, the rear wheel steering and other technical goodies but I kind of have the feeling that while they put a lot of work into the technical part of the car, they kind of missed the emotional one. Same goes to the interior: C'mon, Porsche...for a coupe of hundreds more, the interior could have been improved substantially, at least to differentiate it from the regular 911 interior. On the contrary, if you order a Turbo S, the logo on your PDK says "Turbo" because apparently it is too expensive (logistics) to offer a Turbo S logo instead. Smiley

Ferrari certainly gave customers a bit more for their money in my opinion.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

indecision Agree with RC. R8 is really good in term of performance and value. Personally, I feel like 488 and 458 are fun to drive in road without traffic that you hit until Rev going to red line. The sound and drive feeling are very nice. With the traffic in Bangkok that  now you can drive 10-40 km/h or 120 km/h on expressway, I prefer 997.2 to 991.X since she gives sportier feeling than the new ones in low speed. indecision Having both F car & P car should solve the problem indecision

Spock:

indecision Agree with RC. R8 is really good in term of performance and value. Personally, I feel like 488 and 458 are fun to drive in road without traffic that you hit until Rev going to red line. The sound and drive feeling are very nice. With the traffic in Bangkok that  now you can drive 10-40 km/h or 120 km/h on expressway, I prefer 997.2 to 991.X since she gives sportier feeling than the new ones in low speed. indecision Having both F car & P car should solve the problem indecision

The perfect solution....Smiley

--

993 c2

Ferrari 488 GTB with FXX K-Style Wrap

1474333654304image.jpeg
    1474333654327image.jpeg

koko:

1474333654304image.jpeg
    1474333654327image.jpeg

Actually this looks pretty amazing. It details the lines, which are usually on a black car are a bit "underwhelmed". Cool Smiley

Lars997:
    koko:

Actually this looks pretty amazing. It details the lines, which are usually on a black car are a bit "underwhelmed". Cool Smiley

Fully agree Smiley

--

J.Seven

This is so tacky I don't even know where to start...

I like both...funny...especially the left one but the U LO5ERS could create a lot of negative emotions in other drivers (or even pedestrians), maybe not the best choice for such a car. angry

My UK license plate would be 5URPRI5E... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Lukas:

It's amazing how Ferraris attract HOes looooool

Err, that's a Speciale and a standard 458 and this is the 488 GTB thread.

Wait, we're Rennteam, home of off-topic. Everything's fine. smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:

Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Rossi:

Oups, sorry Smiley. The cars looks so similar so thought noone would notice. Especially not if the focus is on the numberplate SmileySmileySmiley

Lukas:

Not tacky at all, actually the guy as a good sense of humor, mainly the black car SmileySmileySmiley

--

J.Seven

Sense of humor? I hope he has a sense of humor if someone keys his car... angry

A guy I know has A-RM xx (ARM..."poor" in German) as his license plate. His car got keyed a couple of times, he drives a 993, so not even something very in your face. I don't know if this is related to his license plate but since he got a couple of (nasty) comments from people on various occasions, I think it is safe to assume that it is somehow related to his license plate. He still doesn't want to change the plate and yes, he actually wants to provoke. yes

--

RC:

A guy I know has A-RM xx (ARM..."poor" in German) as his license plate. His car got keyed a couple of times, he drives a 993, so not even something very in your face. I don't know if this is related to his license plate but since he got a couple of (nasty) comments from people on various occasions, I think it is safe to assume that it is somehow related to his license plate. He still doesn't want to change the plate and yes, he actually wants to provoke. yes

Well, he could change his plates to A-RS 3. SmileySmiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:
    RC:

Smiley Another guy I know has A-SS but this kind of backfired on him (he meant ASS as in Poker "Ass" ("ace" in German) but people usually assume this is meant as "ass" in English Smiley Smiley).

--

RC:
    Rossi:
    RC:

Smiley Another guy I know has A-SS but this kind of backfired on him (he meant ASS as in Poker "Ass" ("ace" in German) but people usually assume this is meant as "ass" in English Smiley Smiley).

--

Is SS allowed in Germany??

--

AM

Bundesland Verbotene Kennzeichen
    Schleswig-Holstein KZ, HJ, NS, SA, SSAls kritisch angesehen sind auch die Kombinationen: IZ-AN (rückwärts für NAZI) und HEI-L
    Mecklenburg-Vorpommern KZ, HJ, NS, SA, SS
    Sachsen-Anhalt KZ, HJ, SA, SSVerbotene Zifferkombination: 88Im Saalekreis verboten: SK-IN
    Niedersachsen KZ, HJ, NS, SA, SS
    Berlin KZ, HJ, NS, SA, SS
    Brandenburg KZ, HJ, NS, SA, SSVerbotene Zahlen: 14, 18, 28, 88, 188, 1888, 8888 und 8818Verbotene Kombinationen: JN, HH sowie AH mit 18
    Nordrhein-Westfalen KZ, HJ, NS, SA, SS
    Hessen KZ, HJ, NS, SA, SS und SD
    Thüringen KZ, HJ, NS, SA, SS
    Sachsen KZ, HJ, NS, SA, SS
    Rheinland-Pfalz KZ, HJ, NS, SA, SS und SDVerbotene Kombinationen: HH 18 und HH 88
    Baden-Württemberg KZ, HJ, NS, SA, SS
    Bayern Verbotene Buchstabenkombinationen: KZ, HJ, NS, SA, SSVerbotene Kombinationen: AH und HH mit 88 und 18, ggf. auch mit 28Grundsätzlich gestehen die Zulassungsstellen bei den Buchstabenkombinationen HH und AH einen Ermessensspielraum zu: Bei „erkennbarer nationalsozialistischer Gesinnung“ sollen die Zulassungsstellen „weitere Beschränkungen vollziehen“.Ebenfalls nicht ausgestellt werden N-PD und seit kurzem auch N-SU, bestehende Kennzeichen mit diesen Kombinationen müssen nicht, aber können kostenlos ausgetauscht werden.

--

AM

ALDO:
    RC:
    Rossi:
    RC:

--

Is SS allowed in Germany??

This car, a VW Golf GTi Pirelli Edition, is very very old (I think I was 19 and he was 20 when he got it). He doesn't even have the EU sign on the plates. One reason he never changed the plates, he wants everything original. His daily driver is a 991.1 Targa 4 btw. Smiley

I remember when I got the first license plate for my first and only M3 Coupe, it was X - NM33. My insurance "forced" me (insurance risk too big) to get a new license plate and get rid of the 33. This was over 25 years or so ago.

I think nowadays many combinations like SS, HJ, SA and so on are forbidden but it seems to vary from Bundesland to Bundesland.

Just read your post (we posted at the same time it seems), so you posted the list with forbidden combos.

--

RC:

The current R8 provides more fun than the 911 Turbo, this is true. Performance-wise, the new R8 V10 Plus is basically at the same level as the latest 991.2 Turbo S but since the R8 tickles the right senses (V10 engine, exhaust sound) and has a much nicer interior (911 interior looks outdated in comparison, even after the facelift), I enjoy driving my R8 much more than my 911 GTS Cab. The Cab is only nice when it is warm and sunny outside I have to admit.

What I like about Ferrari and the 488 GTB is one thing: They switched to a turbo charged engine but in return, they gave  the customer some sorts of compensation for it, kind of apology. Not only did they give the car 100 horses more but they also tried very hard to make it still sound like a real Ferrari. 

I applaude Porsche for giving the new 911 Turbo S active aerodynamics, the rear wheel steering and other technical goodies but I kind of have the feeling that while they put a lot of work into the technical part of the car, they kind of missed the emotional one. Same goes to the interior: C'mon, Porsche...for a coupe of hundreds more, the interior could have been improved substantially, at least to differentiate it from the regular 911 interior. On the contrary, if you order a Turbo S, the logo on your PDK says "Turbo" because apparently it is too expensive (logistics) to offer a Turbo S logo instead. Smiley

Ferrari certainly gave customers a bit more for their money in my opinion.

The current V10 plus is my favorite sports car on the market if I were to sell 458. These cars are all very fast. What we need is more emotion/excitement; not another 50 hp. I have driven both 488 GTB and Spider, both on a race track and still didn't like them. This is not what I expect from Ferrari. For me, the Speciale is the ultimate Ferrari. I have also test driven Ferrari GTC4 Lusso at its London presentation. I really like the car. The most exciting part was the engine/transmission fun.

--

ONUR

458 italia smiley

The 488 Spider is home now after PPF fitting. I took it out for a good drive today, so here are some first impressions and photos. The low end torque increase from turbocharging is clearly and immediately evident. I was surprised by how much turbo whine there is at lower revs before the exhaust flaps really open up at 4K revs. The steering is definitely less twitchy than on the 458 but still has that really fast response of the newer generation Ferraris. The car is markedly stiffer than the 458 Spider which I felt was very compromised by scuttle shake and too soft a suspension for my taste ( largely corrected on the Speciale Aperta). Upshift sound is good for a turbo but the downshift sound is a big disappointment for a Ferrari. As a complete package of styling, performance and handling its a definite hit, its the Turbo S of exotics for want of a better expression. The Ferrari gearbox remains the market leader and fit and finish whilst not being Pagani or Rolls Royce is just fine for me ( reference the other thread in the Ferrari section ). I'm really pleased with the  new Blu Corsa colour -  its different , visually arresting, and looks spectacular even in low light. I have deliberately gone for for a softer spec on this car to contrast with some of the more hardcore cars in the collection. Completely failed to control the carbon expense again as you can see!

1.jpg
    2.jpg14749923167663.jpg14749923402054.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg14749924137008.jpg

fThat is a killer spec.  Love the blue leather.  Maybe the dark blue calipers would have been a nice tie in to the blue interior and nice play off the gorgeous BLUE Corsa exterior, but its stunning to say the least.   When is the TDF due to arrive?

BONES:

fThat is a killer spec.  Love the blue leather.  Maybe the dark blue calipers would have been a nice tie in to the blue interior and nice play of the gorgeous BLUE Corsa exterior, but its stunning to say the least.   When is the TDF due to arrive?

Thanks Smiley. The blue callipers are a different shade and so would not have looked good. I am tending to de-emphasise the callipers on my specs so that the focus is on the wheel and not the caliper. The TDF has been delayed yet again  - no idea when it will come Smiley, but it will be worth the wait!

Sorry to hear about the delay for TDF.  Looking forward to seeing what direction you took  with that spec.   wink

Congrats!

Lovely choice on the exterior color.

Yet another addition Crayphile! I actually think you own more cars than I do socks! angel

It's not immediately an addition I would add myself, but I'm still warming to the 488 I guess. I do applaud the daring color scheme! kiss

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E / 2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2013 MINI John Cooper Works GP / 2014 BMW Alpina D3 biturbo Touring

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688486 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408677 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255514 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234758 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65376 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857551 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773317 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM