Crown

Board: McLaren Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren on a winning streak

J.Seven:
    RC:

Only downside of the R8 experience: People who don't have a clue about sportscars think that the R8 is "just an Audi" and the Huracan is a Lamborghini. Smiley I think I can live with that as long as I can afford driving such a car. I doubt I would have been able to afford a Huracan for now, financially and socially.

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

The R8 is just an Audi and I have a clue Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Do you own the new R8? Congratulations, didn't know that. Smiley

Yes, the R8 is an Audi like the AMG GT is a Mercedes but so is, surprise surprise, the Huracan. Smiley And yes, I have a clue. Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

bluelines:
    wantone:
    Rossi:

All true what you write above, only problem with the R8 is that it looks like an Audi, whereas the Huracan looks like an exotic. I hate to say that, because I really admire the technology behind the Audi, but I can't get over it looks. enlightened

The Huracan on the other hand just looks like a proper junior super car, to me it is the best looking and most desirable sportscar currently available. 

+1

+2

+3

Good article about Sport Series in German.

http://www.carsdaily.de/carsdailynews/1648-fahrbericht-mclaren-540c-570s-und-570gt.html

Interesting article but saying so little about the cars, using so,many words. LOL
    Photos were much more interesting.

--

For those who are still looking for a "pair". Here for sale!!IMG_0532.jpg
    IMG_0533.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVI15KmX-eo

Great car, but God - it's like watching an episode of Made In Chelsea.
    --

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

Fantastic car - actually fantastic Cars - to my taste clearly above Ferrari or even Lambo....kiss

BjoernB:

Fantastic car - actually fantastic Cars - to my taste clearly above Ferrari or even Lambo....kiss

I took my 675 LT for a blast around some country roads yesterday, and I have to assert again that this is without doubt the best driver's car out there right now. The acceleration is jaw dropping, and the combination of steering feel, precision and response really engenders a huge amount of confidence in every manoeuvre. I still think the Ferrari gearbox is better though, and strangely I find the Lamborghini brakes have more bite.

despite Performance attributes - I think the cabin finish - the carbon tub etc is way better than the others - although I can only compare to a older superleggera....

crayphile:
    BjoernB:

I took my 675 LT for a blast around some country roads yesterday, and I have to assert again that this is without doubt the best driver's car out there right now. The acceleration is jaw dropping, and the combination of steering feel, precision and response really engenders a huge amount of confidence in every manoeuvre. I still think the Ferrari gearbox is better though, and strangely I find the Lamborghini brakes have more bite.

The 675LT does drive very differently than the 650s, I assume?

For example, the 650s steering has this strange "stickiness" around its neutral position that feels a bit weird (PZero tires). Also, the suspension in normal mode is kind of soft, resulting in uncontrolled body movements and lack of driver's confidence (at least in my case). In comparison the Porsches feel smooth, kind of heavy in a positive sense and precise.  In summary, the suspension/setup of Porsche seems more convincing to me.

Brake feel and interaction of engine/gearbox is also super refined with the Porsches. The McLaren gearbox does not so well anticipate the driver's intentions, I thought.

MKSGR:
    crayphile:
    BjoernB:

For example, the 650s steering has this strange "stickiness" around its neutral position that feels a bit weird (PZero tires). Also, the suspension in normal mode is kind of soft, resulting in uncontrolled body movements and lack of driver's confidence (at least in my case). In comparison the Porsches feel smooth, kind of heavy in a positive sense and precise.  In summary, the suspension/setup of Porsche seems more convincing to me.

Brake feel and interaction of engine/gearbox is also super refined with the Porsches. The McLaren gearbox does not so well anticipate the driver's intentions, I thought.

The 675 is in line with the 650 but in each category more track oriented, means sharper, stiffer and so on.

I have a 650s spider and a GT3RS so I think I can compare these two cars good. The steering from 650s is far better then GT3RS - better response. I have the corsas on, so I do not know about Pzero. The corsas like to follow up wheel ruts.

Yes, normal suspension is very comfortable and when just driving it for a short period you may feel unconfident, but this isn´t the case. You need more km to get confident. I had the same feeling the first days.

Brakes, as far as they are warm they are identical, cold brakes feel much better on GT3RS.

The gearbox of 650s shifts much more smooth and this give you a different feeling. At the beginning I thought Gt3RS is much faster now I am not sure about it. I couldn´t say which gearbox is better.

--

AM

Isn't Graziano Oerlikon making the gearbox for McLaren cars and the new Audi R8? I do not remember the 650 or 12C gearboxes too well, too short was the test drive  (I shifted manually and I do not remember I didn't like it, on the contrary, I think I liked them a lot) but the R8 gearbox is one of the fastest DCT systems I ever used on any car and I love it. Actually, the R8 is the first DCT/auto car I shift manually only (even on the Autobahn, I switched from auto to manual now), I haven't used the auto since that serious (for hours, I was so happy to have an auto mode) traffic jam in Italy.

When I shift in my 991.1 GTS manually, I always think there is something wrong now. angry This doesn't mean PDK in the GTS is much slower but in manual mode, it feels that way (lag between manual operation and actual shifting, especially on upshifts).

--

Biggest problem (and only problem?) with McLaren gearboxes are that they are throttle dependent in all modes. When you're just cruising with little throttle, you click, it waits, then it shifts. IMO it should shift right when you click, just like it does under full-throttle. It should respond according to drive moves, not throttle position...

noone1:

Biggest problem (and only problem?) with McLaren gearboxes are that they are throttle dependent in all modes. When you're just cruising with little throttle, you click, it waits, then it shifts. IMO it should shift right when you click, just like it does under full-throttle. It should respond according to drive moves, not throttle position...

This is what I'm talking about: In the R8, when I accelerate (maybe 1/3 throttle) up to 60 kph, I usually upshift to 4th gear. It is like click-click-click, insanely fast. In the 991 GTS it is more like click...-click...-click. My son always asks me why I (manually) shift into 4th gear so fast when accelerating to 60 kph only and my answer is always the same: It is fun.  He complains because he wants me to be louder, so he wants me to rev the engine higher. Smiley

--

MKSGR:

Indeed it does. I have owned both and the 675 is far sharper in every respect, and in particular steering feel. I never drive with the suspension in Normal mode  - always in Sport even on UK B roads, and despite that its a civilised ride.

ALDO:
    MKSGR:

Yes, normal suspension is very comfortable and when just driving it for a short period you may feel unconfident, but this isn´t the case. You need more km to get confident. I had the same feeling the first days.

This is the key point. If you are used to the driving feel of a certain manufacturer over others, then it always takes a while to adapt to another manufacturer and "trust" the car and your instincts with it. 

Futch, who is a professional driver, loves the 675LT for it's race car feel. I trust his judgment. I just wish I had his bank account as well, so I could actually afford one of these amazing cars.

I admire anyone who is able to drive one, this is truly an excellent driving machine. 

As to switching from a car to another, true...you need to get adapted to. Especially if you switch from AWD to RWD and vice versa. Can be tricky.

--

Looks like nice workmanship.  What do you suppose that will cost?

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

This weekend, I met my jeweler with his new toy...a McLaren 570S in some sort of dark metallic grey (fits the car very well in my opinion). He already owns a Ferrari F12 and other toys, so this is just an addition to his car family.

We talked a little bit about this decision and he said that this is his first McLaren, so he chose one of the cheaper variants to make sure he likes the car.

He was pretty impressed with the sound of my R8 and didn't know that this car sounds so good (his 570S had a decent deep growl at lower revs and a pretty loud sound at higher revs but was not even close to R8 sound). I was impressed with the good looks, even even I like the 650s and the 675LT better, especially from the rear.

We did a bit of driving, it was cold (around 10°C) and slightly wet. Even my R8 had traction issues when I fully accelerated, tire temperature was under 30°C all the time, so no surprise here. The 570S did quite well but apparently the ESP came on often and traction was miserable (PZero Corsa tires if I'm not mistaken...), so not the perfect weather for such a car (and a reminder why I love AWD on such cars).

Overall, I really liked how the 570S looks and if I were to choose between a 991 Turbo S and a 570S as a weekend toy car (not a daily driver!), I would very likely choose the 570S. Considering it's price tag (around 185k after rebate according to him...), it is really a good offer.

No photos, sorry (I took some but he asked me not to publish them anywhere, not even without license plates, so I have to respect that since he knows about Rennteam).

I asked him what car he likes most and engine-wise, he loves the F12 most but he likes the handling and drive feel of the 570S a lot.

Just thought I share this with you... blush

--

570S traction is also due to the car intentionally being a bit under tired IMO. I think it's running 275 in the rear to intentionally make it more playful on the track (and keep it slower than it really probably would be with wider tires so as not to ruffle 650S feathers.)

RC:

He was pretty impressed with the sound of my R8 and didn't know that this car sounds so good (his 570S had a decent deep growl at lower revs and a pretty loud sound at higher revs but was not even close to R8 sound).

Yes  - no way the McLaren V8 can compete with a lovely V10 sound. It will be very interesting to see how the upcoming Huracan SL (although a I heard a rumour that it will not be called SL anymore Smiley) sound compares with your V10 Plus.

I already discussed with my dealer a possible "switch" to a R8 GT (which will very likely be based on the new Huracan SL or whatever the name will be...) once it comes out but only if the car has a substantial performance gain over my current R8. I doubt however that the 50 kg less weight and maybe 20-30 hp will do the trick. The Huracan SL (or whatever) is a different story, this car is rumored to be around 100 kg lighter than the current car, power upgrade is rumored to be around 30 hp. We'll see...

--

Dear Mr ALDO (name chnaged)

Last year we held the inaugural Winter Ball with one aim, to start a new annual tradition bringing the McLaren family together at our home and celebrate the end of another fantastic year.  And what a memorable evening it was, with special guests including Emerson Fittipaldi and Bruno Senna, the reveal of the 675LT Spider, a spectacular fireworks display and all around fantastic party atmosphere.

This year I’m excited to once again invite you to join us at the McLaren Technology Centre as we look ahead to our bright future with an evening which we promise will be ‘out of this world’.

Having had the pleasure of meeting and speaking to many of the McLaren family so far this year I know that several of you already have the date saved in your diary.  My hope for this year is that we bring together even more of our owners but also retain the intimate and exclusive feel of the event.

It is a spectacular sight to see the already impressive McLaren Technology Centre boulevard transformed into a black tie venue and I’m hopeful that you will be able to join us to see it for yourselves and enjoy a remarkable celebration of 2016.

Mike Flewitt

McLaren Automotive CEO

The McLaren Winter Ball packages start from £1,650 per couple and during the evening you can expect to enjoy:

• Champagne and canapés on arrival
    • Gourmet dining experience
    • Cocktail bar open throughout
    • Live entertainment and special guest appearances

Weekend packages including accommodation and transfers are available for those coming from further afield and give you the opportunity to stay at the fabulous Four Seasons Hampshire, enjoy a round of clay pigeon shooting and relax in the spa.

--

AM

THE WINTER BALL WEEKEND PACKAGE £3,750 PER COUPLE

Includes:

• Attendance for two people at the McLaren Winter Ball on Saturday 3rd December

• Two night stay in a double room on Friday 2nd and Saturday 3rd December at the Four Seasons Hampshire

• Informal welcome dinner with other McLaren owners on Friday 2nd December

• Option group Clay Pigeon shooting activity on the morning of Saturday 3rd December

• One complimentary Spa treatment per couple.

• Return private transfers from London Airport to Four Seasons

Hampshire

• Return transfers to the McLaren Technology Centre 

--

AM

https://youtu.be/5WCav_2jF2s

Whats with the clay pigeon shooting?  

--

997.2 & Donkervoort GT 

ALDO:

THE WINTER BALL WEEKEND PACKAGE £3,750 PER COUPLE

Includes:

• Attendance for two people at the McLaren Winter Ball on Saturday 3rd December

• Two night stay in a double room on Friday 2nd and Saturday 3rd December at the Four Seasons Hampshire

• Informal welcome dinner with other McLaren owners on Friday 2nd December

• Option group Clay Pigeon shooting activity on the morning of Saturday 3rd December

• One complimentary Spa treatment per couple.

• Return private transfers from London Airport to Four Seasons

Hampshire

• Return transfers to the McLaren Technology Centre 

Aldo - looks like a fun and classy event!  Many talk about the limitations on McLaren due to its small size, but this kind of customer attention seems a benefit that being smaller offers.  

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

Evo: Mega McLaren Test http://www.evo.co.uk/news/18359/mcla...w-issue-of-evo

Behind the scenes: https://youtu.be/7JozzuYLDI4

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    753128 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430731 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258601 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255462 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79516 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868328 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801886 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM