Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 2023 Formula One

The Aston's strength is not on one lap speed but normally has a better race pace than qualifying, besides with the changing weather conditions I don't think the qualy reflects the car's pace.

But the Mercs P2 and P3 was hilarious when they were complaining all this time, well mostly Hamilton was, of the car being so slow... even saying that he never saw a car as fast as the RB when his Merc had an even bigger pace diffential with the rest in the earlier years of the Merc domination.

TV was doing reruns of the qualifying including the interviews. Man, Verstappen really reminds me of a young Alonso. Obnoxious, and think the whole world revolve around them, and they are bigger than the sport itself. Alonso has since mellowed out and now a super likeable person. Hope Verstappen will grow up and become the same.

The Brits, not being biased, but they really are the class acts, Russell, Norris, Albon, Hamilton are all very presentable and articulated. Russell is exceptional. He can be a spokesperson for ANY brand they way he present himself. 

Junior is growing up, big time. He impressed me for his interview. Very presentable now, unlike before where he looks like a fish out of water. 

No surprise, Red Bull threw Perez under the bus about his retirement. His first name isn't Max. But will be interesting to see how far up the grid he can climb, 

Honestly, it's so nice to see so many teams up high on the grid mixing it up. The race is going to be wild open if Verstappen's gearbox gives up, if that's actually true and not Max gaslighting everyone. 

--

So nice to see the FIA actually learned from the shit show by Masi in Abu Dhabi. They red flagged the race right away for debris on track with 3 laps to go. 

Now there will be a proper racing finish, instead of a hack job of staged finish that's not within the rules. 

But up to this point, Norris been running a fine race, made a GREAT pass on Hulk. 

As expected, Perez made it all the way to the front. 

The Red Bulls are just on another planet, the way Verstappen passed Hamilton was like him standing still. 

Bad luck for Leclerc, and it's Junior that booted him off.

Russell's engine expired, perhaps. That would be like the first time a Mercedes engine in a Mercedes died since Hamilton's in Malaysia in 2016. 

--

That red flag with two laps left is really a great idea. Pathetic. 

And the restart did not disappoint! Pure chaos!!

Think Aston and Alpine is going to campaign hard for stopping the race completely, so they can do a count back and gain back the points.

--

Just dumb and the FIA is clueless.  

And what irony. Masi's 'home' race is where FIA publicly embarrassed and humiliated his decision in Abu Dhabi. 

Karma. Fate. Call it whatever one wants. 

--

CGX car nut:

Just dumb and the FIA is clueless.  

It's how the rules are written and should be followed at all times. 

Don't like the rules? Re-write them!

Actually Masi did tried that doing an unauthorized rewriting of the rules and now he is out of a job.

--

Weird choice for the stewards on the race.

They chose to restart AGAIN. But that final lap will be a formation lap, so no passing. They could have called the race and results will be a count back to the lap before, which would have how the cars were lined up on the previous restart.

Now the Alpines and Astons are going to be big losers, and so will Haas. Piastri and McLaren will be a big winners as he will be in the points so a double points finish for McLaren.

--

Bureaucracy rules! Complete waste of time now taking a formation lap for one lap. 

And the stewards are again a bit perplexing. They are giving Sainz 5 seconds for booting Alonso, yet Stroll didn't get the same for booting Leclerc off. 

--

CGX car nut:

Bureaucracy rules! Complete waste of time now taking a formation lap for one lap. 

Cause it's the proper way and the only way when doing things by the book, and not making it up on the fly. 

Like, perhaps you know you aren't liable to pay any taxes, you still have to file a tax return, you can't just skip it and say it's a waste of time. 

--

And I was mistaken. I think the 2 Astons are done but guess they weren't and is able to take the restart and finish in the points. 

Well done Alonso for another podium!

--

Fun fact. 

The Ferrari prosecco is the only Ferrari that have made it to the podium this year. 

--

I didn't want the race because of the time it was aired but I see the FIA managed to screw things up again.

From Motorsports.com.  The comments from Lando Norris at the end are the most telling on stating that he felt the red flags were only there to make more of a show.  However, he failed to discuss how the FIA added half an hour of dead time as they attempted to sort out the disaster they created only to have the cars under the safety car complete the final lap.

Russell questions FIA decision-making after "totally unnecessary" first red flag

Matt Kew

Listen to this article

The race was halted for the first time on lap nine of 58 owing to a shunt for Alex Albon, who lost the rear of his WilliamsFW45 through Turn 7 to nose into the wall and bounce back over the kerbs.

While a safety car was deployed initially, the race was then red-flagged. The FIA justified this due to the amount of gravel and debris that needed clearing.

The grand prix was red-flagged twice more, owing to incidents for Kevin Magnussen and then a crash-strewn restart.

After a delay, the race eventually ended behind a safety car and the results shaped by the previous grid but with the cars too damaged to continue dropping down the final order.

Haas has protested the result, with its driver Nico Hulkenberg dropping from fourth to seventh as a consequence of the classification being taken from the order prior to the crashes.

This followed the FIA taking criticism for deploying a safety car in the Saudi Arabian GP last month, a call made owing to limited camera angles that left it unaware Lance Stroll had parked his Aston Martin off the track in an escape road.

Early race leader Russell was hurt by the Albon red flag after pitting under the safety car to rejoin in seventh, only for rivals Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamiltonto effectively earn free tyre changes when the race was paused.

In his assessment of the handling of the incident, Russell questioned the FIA's decision-making.

The Grand Prix Drivers' Association director said: "I thought the red flag was totally unnecessary. There was obviously quite a bit of gravel on the track, but there was a clear racing line. We've seen it far worse in the past.

"It's sort of reminiscent of the decision of last week in Saudi to bring out the safety car when the car was totally off the track.

Marshals remove the damaged car of Alex Albon, Williams FW45, from the circuit

Photo by: Jake Grant / Motorsport Images

"So, I don't really know what's going on with some of the decisions at the moment.

"We're all trying to work together with the FIA to improve things, but it's seemingly a bit of a challenge."

Russell, who eventually retired owing to a power unit failure, reckoned his Australian GP weekend performance was a match for his maiden F1 victory in Brazil last season.

Meanwhile, McLaren driver Lando Norrisimplied that the red flags were not dictated by safety but more about artificially creating drama to make the race more exciting.

Read Also:

Having finished sixth, he said: "The whole point of red flagging it, it feels like was just to put on a show.

"I'm the one driving the car so I just feel like I could have been so unlucky through no reason. I easily could have crashed with [Nico] Hulkenberg at the end because there's people going off and you're suddenly swerving and things like that.

"Because they try and put on a show, you just get unlucky and everything can get taken away from you all of a sudden."

This relationship is so weird...

Screenshot_20230402_170715_Brave.jpg

Carlos from Spain:

Old men tend to stick together. 

Carlos from Spain:

Not just that, in the cool down room before podium ceremony, they have moved their chairs together and had a lovely chat not unlike friends. Leaving Verstappen sitting all by himself way off to the side like an unwanted classmate.

--

Whoopsy:

Not just that, in the cool down room before podium ceremony, they have moved their chairs together and had a lovely chat not unlike friends. Leaving Verstappen sitting all by himself way off to the side like an unwanted classmate.

Indeed

Screenshot_20230402_173924_Reddit.jpg

CGX car nut:

From Motorsports.com.  The comments from Lando Norris at the end are the most telling on stating that he felt the red flags were only there to make more of a show.  However, he failed to discuss how the FIA added half an hour of dead time as they attempted to sort out the disaster they created only to have the cars under the safety car complete the final lap.

Russell questions FIA decision-making after "totally unnecessary" first red flag

Matt Kew

Listen to this article

The race was halted for the first time on lap nine of 58 owing to a shunt for Alex Albon, who lost the rear of his WilliamsFW45 through Turn 7 to nose into the wall and bounce back over the kerbs.

While a safety car was deployed initially, the race was then red-flagged. The FIA justified this due to the amount of gravel and debris that needed clearing.

The grand prix was red-flagged twice more, owing to incidents for Kevin Magnussen and then a crash-strewn restart.

After a delay, the race eventually ended behind a safety car and the results shaped by the previous grid but with the cars too damaged to continue dropping down the final order.

Haas has protested the result, with its driver Nico Hulkenberg dropping from fourth to seventh as a consequence of the classification being taken from the order prior to the crashes.

This followed the FIA taking criticism for deploying a safety car in the Saudi Arabian GP last month, a call made owing to limited camera angles that left it unaware Lance Stroll had parked his Aston Martin off the track in an escape road.

Early race leader Russell was hurt by the Albon red flag after pitting under the safety car to rejoin in seventh, only for rivals Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamiltonto effectively earn free tyre changes when the race was paused.

In his assessment of the handling of the incident, Russell questioned the FIA's decision-making.

The Grand Prix Drivers' Association director said: "I thought the red flag was totally unnecessary. There was obviously quite a bit of gravel on the track, but there was a clear racing line. We've seen it far worse in the past.

"It's sort of reminiscent of the decision of last week in Saudi to bring out the safety car when the car was totally off the track.

Photo by: Jake Grant / Motorsport Images

"So, I don't really know what's going on with some of the decisions at the moment.

"We're all trying to work together with the FIA to improve things, but it's seemingly a bit of a challenge."

Russell, who eventually retired owing to a power unit failure, reckoned his Australian GP weekend performance was a match for his maiden F1 victory in Brazil last season.

Meanwhile, McLaren driver Lando Norrisimplied that the red flags were not dictated by safety but more about artificially creating drama to make the race more exciting.

Read Also:

Having finished sixth, he said: "The whole point of red flagging it, it feels like was just to put on a show.

"I'm the one driving the car so I just feel like I could have been so unlucky through no reason. I easily could have crashed with [Nico] Hulkenberg at the end because there's people going off and you're suddenly swerving and things like that.

"Because they try and put on a show, you just get unlucky and everything can get taken away from you all of a sudden."

All F1 drivers are going to be self-serving. Not just Russell, it would have been the same comment had it been Hamilton, Verstappen or Alonso leading. Russell lost places for that red flag as he had just pitted for fresh tires. 

FIA had 2 choices for the first red flag, they could have stayed on safety car and sweep the gravel away, or they could have red flag it which they did. Had they used the safety car method, the other contenders may or may not pit for tires, thus moving Russell back to the front if they did.

The second red flag for K-Mag's mess was necessary, as his car is on track and needed to be cleared away. 

The third red flag is also needed for the mayhem.

But restarting from the third flag isn't necessary, enough laps have been completed that they could have called the race, well they didn't and thus for the processional one lap under safety car finish. Not sure if there was any show value in this however.

--

That was my point all along.  That third red flag was not necessary but prattled on and on about following the rules. 

and as usual lewee just his slut self again driving max off the track and Fia covering for him

CGX car nut:

That was my point all along.  That third red flag was not necessary but prattled on and on about following the rules. 

I touched on that point last night right at the end of the race already about they don't have to restart the race you know.

--

watt:

and as usual lewee just his slut self again driving max off the track and Fia covering for him

You mean like how Hamilton drove like Verstappen and gave him his own medicine? 

Now the shoe is on the other foot, Verstappen is the one that got everything to lose in a collision. 

You noticed now that Verstappen got something to lose, he isn't crashing into Hamilton any chance he got? He is racing clean against Hamilton now. 

Verstappen is just being a cry baby cause others didn't bow to him. Oh, and his radio message about incorrect procedure for Hamilton during the trip back to the grid? Verstappen was dead wrong and he needs to go back to the classroom to study the rule book again. Once the safety car pulled off into the pits, the lead car is the de facto safety car and he can dictate the pace however he see fits. 

--

--

what a great shred pass on lil lewee on lap 12kiss  your boy is a slug Nick.

watt:

Jenson Button and the rest of Sky Sports had a woodie for Lewie too. 

This bromance is getting serious yes

Screenshot_20230402_233511_Reddit.jpg

watt:

I mentioned that too in earlier posts, Verstappen's Red Bull is like a rocket passing the Mercedes like it's standing still. 

What a superior car Verstappen got this year, more so than the RB from last year, or any of the Mercedes during their reign on top. 

I think if you put Stroll in that car, he can pass Hamilton like that tooSmiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776824 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441566 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262702 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260845 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85122 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5519 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880562 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815716 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM