Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Sticky: yes Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021)

Enmanuel:

What a fantastic write up ! You really put into perspective the highs and lows of both cars. Also looks like an incredible trip, thank you for sharing. 

+1 Smiley

--

The purpose of life is to enjoy the moment.

Enmanuel:

What a fantastic write up ! You really put into perspective the highs and lows of both cars. Also looks like an incredible trip, thank you for sharing. 

Couldn't agree more. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), BMW Z4 M40i (2022), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

Lovely write up Macca!!

Basically 992 GT3 is more civilized and the GT4RS is the more raw car smiley

And yes, 500hp is just about the max the 718 chassis should handle, while the 992 can do with a lot more, which it already does with the turbo,  turbo S and up. 

GT4RS is the car that left nothing on the table, as it should be as it is the end of the line car. 

--

Thanks Macca993 .

That helps a lot for future decisions.kiss

Blueflame

I think your write up is marvelous and very on point.

I would posit that the GT3 is ultimately more rewarding to the "better" driver. Its limits are simply higher but getting there is not a frivolous journey.

Brilliant post and great pics mate

Always enjoyed reading your posts since my 991.1 GT3 days, Macca.  Another great one here!  Thanks so much for your perspective.

One of the best posts on the forum for a long time, and with great pictures wink

Great write up. Thanks kiss

I could back up nearly all what you have written. 

The 718 chassis is definitely the limit of the 4RS. So when you push you are quickly at the limit of what the car can take. No room for mistakes.  I wonder how the car would be with wider tires. 

GT3's limitation is the engine, making the car more confident inspiring and allowing for mistakes. 

4RS MR package is coming out soon. This will certainly push the limit of the car further with added aero and upgraded suspensions. 

Also not to gorget, 4RS is 38k cheaper then GT3.  Normal it uses more simple technical solutions. Normal Porsche is keeping the car slower. No sense thinking 4RS would match GT3 

As you said, on a track to be as fast as the GT3 in the 4RS you need to be an excellent driver knowing perfectly the mid engine dynamics. For me impossible to corner like in the GT3.

On open roads, the over capable chassis of the GT3 takes away sensations as you can't drive fast enough to get to the fun part.  4RS gives you lots of sensations even within speed limits as the chassis is more lively + the sound. 

I am more used to and at ease with the 911 dynamics. On track I prefer the GT3, as I feel more confident . But on public roads I prefer the 4RS, never get bored in it which was not the case with the GT3 RS. 

4RS is also the last of it's kind. The highest point of the Porsche petrol  mid engine chassis (except the supercars) . Next  will be electric. A crazy engine has been squeezed into this car. It won't go further.  And that makes the car very special . 

911 will cary on with it's development. Next GT3 will be better then current. 

4RS is a keeper in the long run. 

Not sure I will be able to . But ideally I would have a 4RS for public week end fun  and a  GT3 or GT3 RS for driving to and on tracks .

Gnil, kiss

I agreed with everything you wrote, I basically wrote the same before also.

The GT4RS is just special, period. It isn't ultimately as fast and capable as a 992 GT3, but that's not the point. GT4RS is a car that rewards good capable drivers. At the same 'fastness', it needs more skills than a GT3. Porsche engineered the GT3 to be fool proof, and it is. GT4RS isn't it bites. Being able to tame something that bites is a great satisfaction.

When the 4RS Spyder is released, I am gonna have a bit of a problem. I definitely WANT that car also but I am not willing to give up anything I have right now. Will need to be creative. The GT4RSs are like 993 turbos, I missed the boat then I am not missing it this time around.

--

Thanks Gnil, Whoopsy, Grant and others.

I think we can conclude we are all more or less on the same page with the 4RS.

I trust each and every posters experience in these matters because unlike some other forums Ive got to know this small group over the years and I know you all use these cars as intended and have extensive experience pushing your cars both on road and track. I regard the feedback I get on various vehicles here by our longer time and better known members to be more valuable than any motor journalist or coffee and cars member forums!!

We will always see these things from a slightly different perspective that reflects our unique and indivudual use and preferences for these cars but its good to share experiences t better understand how a potential new model/variant could fit into our lifestyles. God knows you can almost never try one of these cars before you buy it for fear of not getting an allocation - so the feedback is always valuable. I also enjoy reading about members other car experiences (such as STO, Roma or soon Perosangue) as most likely these are cars i will never be lucky enough to own and live with but Im very interested in them none the less :-)

--

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2022 Toyota GR Yaris, 2021 992 GT3, 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia QV, 2009 Lotus Elise SC

Just a small update. I spoke today to a gentleman who had read my post on here. He is connected to Porsche. He told me the immediacy I mention in my experience of the GT3 engine when punching a gear (like a shunt) is mostly due to the solid engine mounts in the 992 GT3 (this is a change from the 991.2 GT3). 

Also he pointed out that the 4RS has only a mechanical diff (locking/unlocking) and no hydrallic/electronic diff like in the PDK GT3. So that again may also help explain why the GT3 + PDK can remain more stable under hard braking into a corner from high speeds.

It does make you realise that even though the 4RS is slower on the track and can be on the limit more quickly and thus more of a handful than a 992 GT3, it is infact punching above its weight when you consider the number of systems/suspension advances the 992 GT3 has in comparison to it...

--

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2022 Toyota GR Yaris, 2021 992 GT3, 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia QV, 2009 Lotus Elise SC

@Macca993 thanks for all your inputs and balanced review. A lot of people whose opinions I respect eg @Gnil and @Whoopsy are gushing about the 4RS. Similarly there are others whom I respect (not on this board) who are equally adamant that the GT3 is hands down the better car and the 4RS camp is under the spell of the intake sound and far from objective. Only solution is to have both as you say, but reading between the lines the 3RS is still the better all situations car. I have neither so am entirely unbiased !

Nice summary Macca

There are the diehards that thinks manual is the only option and that's only available on the GT3. There are those that wants the faster car, which in this case the GT3 will ultimately be faster. But that's a never ending quest, the 992.2 GT3 is around the corner and it will be that much faster. 

The GT4RS is age old recipe, cram the biggest engine in the smallest chassis. As it happens, the 718 platform is quite capable to handle that. It's also the last of its kind, there won't be a faster .2 version. It's the top dog in that branch.

It is also the rawest car from Porsche since the 911R. It demands skills, the car won't do everything for the driver, as it's how it's suppose to be for old school guys. 

I don't have allegiance to the 911 line, I just pick whatever is the best in my opinion. If it happens to be a 911, then it's a 911, if it happens to be a 718, then 718 it is. I am lucky to be in the position that availability isn't an issue, I can get whatever from Porsche. So basically the 2 cars are competing against each other on merits alone from my point of view. 

Am I biased? Perhaps. But there wasn't another car ever that I had to wait so long for and the end result did not disappoint me one bit, it's everything I had wished for and more. The close performance to the GT3 was just the cherry on top. 

--

For an extra 50k and change, the Manthey kit brings the regular GT3 up to GT4RS level of rawness. Also gained another 4ish seconds a lap over the regular GT3 on the Ring.

--

And for the GT4RS , the 50k  MR quit will bring the car to GT3 smoothness level indecision

I love it when Chris gives the car some "tap"... Am I the only one who likes Ruby Star?

--

If I don't fly, I drive my .:RS :)

Finally got a chance to take the 4RS for a proper drive.  Whoopsy was right, what a revelation this car is.  Maybe I'm just justifying my purchase and selling of the GT3, but instantly more fun on the road than the GT3.  Precisely for the reasons outlined by Macca, Gnil, and Whoopsy.  I really can't add much to what they have posted.  This is a car that is kind of at its limit for its chassis.  Car feels much smaller than my 992 which I really enjoy.  The sounds, while different, remind me of the rawness of my 991.1 GT3.  I could go on but just restating what others have said.  I will say the horses were a little dismissive of it, lots of snorting at the red thing indecision

cayman 4rs front.jpg
    cayman 4rs rear.jpg
    cayman 4rs side.jpg

Great shots. Congratulations and enjoy!

Thanks for confirming I am not crazy 

--

No, it is not you justifying the sales of the GT3. The 4RS is more fun( gives more sensations and is more lively)  on public roads.  Not saying it is the better car  Smiley

The ''gold'' rims work very well with the red. I saw lately a 4RS red with silver wheels and it just didn't match the car. 

Cheers to many happy miles wink

Hello RT, I’ve not been on in a while… I’ve been kind of busy… Did I mention I retired last year (at 51)? I thought I would have more free time, but that was completely wrong!

Yesterday my phone rang, but it was a number I didn’t recognize. Normally I’d send it to VM, but somehow I decided to answer. It was my dealer! He said, “We received an allocation for a GT4RS and you are the next name on our list.” I answered, “Things have changed since I last bought a car at Porsche, so let’s just cut to the chase. What ADM are you asking?” His reply: “only MSRP.” I replied, “If you’re in the office this afternoon, I’ll come by to spec and make my deposit.”

And so I did just that. August delivery for MY 2024. I was suspicious, but I received all the build info and My Porsche registration, so it seems genuine. I’m keeping the Evo RWD Spyder, as I just love the theatrical experience it creates, but the GT4RS should fix my annoyance about the Evo’s lack of precision when pushing a little.

So I want to place my entry in the “longest wait time for an allocation” competition. I asked my dealer to list me for a then hypothetical GT4RS when I took delivery of my 981 GTS (3.4L) way back in June 2014. And apparently, they did just that!

I may need some help with the details of my build from those of you that already have cars. I hope that’s OK even though I haven’t posted in a while…

mcdelaug:

Hello RT, I’ve not been on in a while… I’ve been kind of busy… Did I mention I retired last year (at 51)? I thought I would have more free time, but that was completely wrong!

Yesterday my phone rang, but it was a number I didn’t recognize. Normally I’d send it to VM, but somehow I decided to answer. It was my dealer! He said, “We received an allocation for a GT4RS and you are the next name on our list.” I answered, “Things have changed since I last bought a car at Porsche, so let’s just cut to the chase. What ADM are you asking?” His reply: “only MSRP.” I replied, “If you’re in the office this afternoon, I’ll come by to spec and make my deposit.”

And so I did just that. August delivery for MY 2024. I was suspicious, but I received all the build info and My Porsche registration, so it seems genuine. I’m keeping the Evo RWD Spyder, as I just love the theatrical experience it creates, but the GT4RS should fix my annoyance about the Evo’s lack of precision when pushing a little.

So I want to place my entry in the “longest wait time for an allocation” competition. I asked my dealer to list me for a then hypothetical GT4RS when I took delivery of my 981 GTS (3.4L) way back in June 2014. And apparently, they did just that!

I may need some help with the details of my build from those of you that already have cars. I hope that’s OK even though I haven’t posted in a while…

Congratulations. Impressive recall and behaviour from your dealer.

Congrats. SmileySmiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), BMW Z4 M40i (2022), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

Congratulations. Impressive recall and behaviour from your dealer.

Honestly, I was stunned. Maybe there are still a few “old school” guys left in my part of the world… I try very hard to be one myself.

Hopefully more Porsche dealers will behave like yours. No doubt the 4 RS will be a hoot to drive.kiss

--

The purpose of life is to enjoy the moment.

Wonderful. More GT4RS' on Rennteam 👍 Congrats

Congratulations, what a good surprise you had. kiss

I have heard that dealers are getting some extra allocations. Same with the GT3.

Biggest problem at the moment, are the carbon parts. 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/17/24 7:48 AM
    GnilM
    661445 1775
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    400999 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    254572 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    229044 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    59387 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4374 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

853370 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    761530 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM