Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche 963

Spyderidol:

***Porsche still has a “good way to go” in terms of pace, according to factory LMDh program director Urs Kuratle, who believes it is “nothing to do with BoP”. Speaking to Sportscar365, Kuratle said: “We are not where we want to be; we want to be on top of the table like everybody. We’re a bit away from that so we have work to do definitely.”

***The fastest Porsche lap time so far — a 1:49.487 from Laurens Vanthoor — sits 1.779 seconds slower than the Free Practice pace set by Toyota Gazoo Racing’s Kamui Kobayashi.

https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/sebring-wec-wednesday-notebook-3/

At this point, I'm not sure why Porsche don't just close down the entire program and concentrate on their toys with batteries. As a fan, this is absolutely heart breaking.

The whole thing reminds me a little bit on 1998...The GT1-98 was suffering the whole season and was far too slow...but it´s Le Mans race 1-2-win on Porsche 50th anniversary in the same year was one of the biggest victories in Porsche´s racing history.

Now we have the 75th anniverary-year...let´s see...blush

Blueflame

That GT1-98 is still one of the prettiest race car ever.

1998_Porsche_911GT198-0-1024.jpg

--

blueflame:
    Spyderidol:

***Porsche still has a “good way to go” in terms of pace, according to factory LMDh program director Urs Kuratle, who believes it is “nothing to do with BoP”. Speaking to Sportscar365, Kuratle said: “We are not where we want to be; we want to be on top of the table like everybody. We’re a bit away from that so we have work to do definitely.”

***The fastest Porsche lap time so far — a 1:49.487 from Laurens Vanthoor — sits 1.779 seconds slower than the Free Practice pace set by Toyota Gazoo Racing’s Kamui Kobayashi.

https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/sebring-wec-wednesday-notebook-3/

At this point, I'm not sure why Porsche don't just close down the entire program and concentrate on their toys with batteries. As a fan, this is absolutely heart breaking.

The whole thing reminds me a little bit on 1998...The GT1-98 was suffering the whole season and was far too slow...but it´s Le Mans race 1-2-win on Porsche 50th anniversary in the same year was one of the biggest victories in Porsche´s racing history.

Now we have the 75th anniverary-year...let´s see...blush

Blueflame

I wish you were right, but if they were 0.5 seconds off the pace, I would be more optimistic that even with such a small window for development , they could find enough pace to eventually match their rivals. 2.5 - 3 seconds is just too much.

I suspect that there is something fundamentally wrong with the overall concept. They have had 1 year testing, the February Sebring Test, the Roar,  the 24 hour Daytona  and the Prologue and they still look as lost as a fart in a colander. Its pitiful to witness. 

The only way I can see to salvage this program, is to get these cars to customers ASAP and immediately start work on a LMH to be ready for Le Mans 2024 with the objective of winning 2025.

Unfortunately, none of the above will happen.

I suspect Porsche is waiting for BoP to help them.

They have had countless computer simulations and laps around Weissach during development. They know what their ballpark lap times will be around the world. 

Had they come out of the gate firing on all cylinders, by the time Le Mans comes around, their performance would have been chopped a big chunk. But now they are the one chasing and they are hoping the other teams will get the big chop approaching Le Mans. 

ACO/FIA have a proven track record of giving out bias to one team or another. It's not even a secret. As long as the race car avoid incidents and is reliable enough to finish the race, their chosen winners will win.

Porsche's 919 was one prime example, they were on track to win the first year, 2014.

Ford GT is another example, back in 2016. It was their 50th anniversary of the GT40 victory. ACO did not knock down it's performance even when it's head and shoulder above the rest of the GT cars.

And then we have the Toyotas. Despite them being much much faster than anyone else, nothing meaningful was done to help the other teams, thus, they have been winning the last 5 uncontested. Alpine and Glickenhaus never stood a chance to begin with.

This year however will be interesting. Will they help Ferrari for the welcome back? Or will they help Porsche for the anniversary? Or will they gift a win to an American manufacturer to drum up more interest?

--

Headed to Sebring now for the races.  Will post pics and info if I learn anything new.  Hope u folks are wrong…

Wonderbar:

Headed to Sebring now for the races.  Will post pics and info if I learn anything new.  Hope u folks are wrong…

Enjoy!

I hope we are wrong too.

Whoopsy:

I suspect Porsche is waiting for BoP to help them.

They have had countless computer simulations and laps around Weissach during development. They know what their ballpark lap times will be around the world. 

Had they come out of the gate firing on all cylinders, by the time Le Mans comes around, their performance would have been chopped a big chunk. But now they are the one chasing and they are hoping the other teams will get the big chop approaching Le Mans. 

ACO/FIA have a proven track record of giving out bias to one team or another. It's not even a secret. As long as the race car avoid incidents and is reliable enough to finish the race, their chosen winners will win.

Porsche's 919 was one prime example, they were on track to win the first year, 2014.

Ford GT is another example, back in 2016. It was their 50th anniversary of the GT40 victory. ACO did not knock down it's performance even when it's head and shoulder above the rest of the GT cars.

And then we have the Toyotas. Despite them being much much faster than anyone else, nothing meaningful was done to help the other teams, thus, they have been winning the last 5 uncontested. Alpine and Glickenhaus never stood a chance to begin with.

This year however will be interesting. Will they help Ferrari for the welcome back? Or will they help Porsche for the anniversary? Or will they gift a win to an American manufacturer to drum up more interest?

If Porsche are betting on this strategy, then things at Porsche are a lot worse than I thought. There is no way that the ACO will allow a LMDH car to win Le Mans (under normal conditions).

The Sebring qualifying results are demonstrative of this. Those 4 wheel drive LMH's are going to leave the the 2 wheel drive LMDH's in the dust at the Porsche Curves and all other high speed corners. (and if it rains I predict a 11 lap lead over the LMDH's)

BTW - The Peugeot is struggling at Sebring due to the bumpiness of the track. Due to its reliance on downforce generated  by the underbody, it is susceptible to bumpy surfaces. Once we get to the billiard smooth tracks , Porsche will be at the back of the pack. 

Porsche ended up fifth and sixth behind two Toyotas, one Ferrari, and Cadillac. Toyotas dominated almost from the start, and ended up two laps ahead of the 3rd place Ferrarii and four laps ahead of Porsche. Dempsey Proton finished second in GT AM, two laps behind Corvette.

Wonderbar:

Porsche ended up fifth and sixth behind two Toyotas, one Ferrari, and Cadillac. Toyotas dominated almost from the start, and ended up two laps ahead of the 3rd place Ferrarii and four laps ahead of Porsche. Dempsey Proton finished second in GT AM, two laps behind Corvette.

Yes. To be honest, they performed better in the race than I expected (based on their practice and qualifying performance).

They have made a step up in the area of reliability. Its not perfect, but a clear improvement must be recognized.

Fortunately, it now seems that the conversation at Porsche has turned to the dire need to increase the car's performance. 

I remain skeptical, but lets see . There are so many areas they need to improve, that some increase in performance is inevitable. The question is whether it will be enough. 

Personally I'll focus on the IMSA performance, as I'm convinced that the LMDH in the WEC are just serving as fillers until after Le Mans. 

BTW - I heard one of the commentators during the race (in his feeble attempt to justify BoP) explain that the WEC BoP settings were generated through modeling. He said this as if to placate concerns of BoP being unfairly set. My goodness! Has he not heard of GIGO!?

The fact that they are using models to set the BoP has me twice as concerned and skeptical! 

So here is some race analysis that clearly demonstrates the size of the mountain that Porsche needs to climb:

If we looks at the 210 laps that the cars did with times under 2Min (anything over that are not really performance laps), these are the results:

Sebring
    # Car Avg. Times <2min Best Lap
    2 Cadillac 1:51.0 1:48.6
    5 Porsche 1:51.7 1:49.5
    6 Porsche 1:51.5 1:49.3
    7 Toyota 1:50.2 1:48.4
    8 Toyota 1:50.1 1:47.9
    50 Ferrari 1:50.5 1:48.5

Ferrari 1:51.2 1:48.9

So far a much better performance by Porsche in IMSA.

Better, you mean less bad. 

--

For WEC i would do just that, sandbag until Le Mans

Porsche running second with four hours to go. About one and a half seconds back.

Absolutely insane finish. Porsche was one and three with about 12 minutes left,  then Albuquerque in the Acura made a reckless move and knocked out himself and the two Porsches. Gonna be a lot of gab about this in the press. Wouldn’t want to be on the other end of Roger Penske’s fury.

Only watched highlights, yes that finish is wild. 

But that's racing. Exciting racing. If only F1 is close racing like that. 

Great job with Pfaff. In a short time they have established themselves to be a premier GT race team with Porsche. A Canadian team no less. Porsche has been sending their big guns over to them, well not quite the full A list but A- and such.

--

12 Hours Of Sebring 2023. GTP Top 3 Crash Out!E0F26BDD-E91B-4EF4-964B-7C4204B9E420.gif

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v= 1MTjKsOZAIo

Smiley     Smiley     Smiley 

Porsche wins the top GT class in Sebring, drama for the LMDh Porsche 963

The Porsche 963 narrowly missed out on securing its first triumph in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship due to an accident. In the bid for overall victory, Mathieu Jaminet in the No. 6 car and Felipe Nasr in the No. 7 sister car collided with an Acura and retired just 18 minutes before the end of the 12-hour race. The two drivers of the Porsche Penske Motorsport works team escaped unharmed.

19/03/2023

Porsche 963, Race, IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship, Sebring, 2023, Porsche AG

The Porsche 963 narrowly missed out on securing its first triumph in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship due to an accident. In the bid for overall victory, Mathieu Jaminet in the No. 6 car and Felipe Nasr in the No. 7 sister car collided with an Acura and retired just 18 minutes before the end of the 12-hour race. The two drivers of the Porsche Penske Motorsport works team escaped unharmed.

The Race

The hybrid prototype shared by Frenchman Jaminet and his teammates Nick Tandy from the UK and Dane Cameron from the USA came third. In the GTD-Pro class, the Pfaff Motorsports customer squad notched up the first class victory for the new Porsche 911 GT3 R.

The 71st edition of the endurance classic in Florida (USA) was packed with thrills and spills. Despite numerous setbacks due to collisions, penalties and minor technical woes, the two Porsche 963 fielded by Porsche Penske Motorsport were running with the frontrunners in the decisive phase. After the twelfth and final full course yellow, the race was given the green light for the final 30-minute sprint to the flag. The two new hybrid prototypes from Weissach were locked in battle with the No. 10 Acura when Jaminet and his rival Filipe Albuquerque (Portugal) collided. Both cars slid out of control onto the grass area. Felipe Nasr was unable to avoid the resulting chaos and, through no fault of his own, hit his brand colleague’s Porsche 963. All drivers escaped the accident uninjured.

“First and foremost, I’m relieved that all drivers walked away unscathed. We were so close to claiming our maiden win with the Porsche 963 and our Porsche Penske Motorsport factory squad,” concludes Thomas Laudenbach. The Vice President of Porsche Motorsport explains: “We underlined today that we’re capable of scoring overall victories in the IMSA series. A Sebring win would have been a great reward for the hard work of the entire team, our partners and our development squad in Weissach. We want to make up for this as quickly as possible. Despite the gripping and tense competition in Florida, we mustn’t forget one thing: we have homework to do – on the vehicle’s performance and on the operational side of the team. Congratulations to Pfaff Motorsports on winning the GTD-Pro class!”

“I’d like to pay our team a huge compliment. The car covered the long distance with virtually no technical hiccups,” said Urs Kuratle, Director Factory Motorsport LMDh. “Like in yesterday’s FIA WEC race, we had zero defects in the spec components. Thanks to our relevant suppliers. I’d also like to thank our chassis partner Multimatic. Today, we showed that we can achieve anything with our new Porsche 963 in the IMSA series. We have a good platform with great potential. We’re feeling confident about the future because we now know that we can win through our own efforts.”

Pfaff Motorsports’ Porsche 911 GT3 R wins the GTD-Pro class

The race in the GTD-Pro category was no less exciting than the battle for overall victory at Sebring. Right up until the last safety car phase, the lead changed every half hour. With a flawless team effort, a perfect strategy and strong performances by the drivers, Pfaff Motorsports achieved their first victory with the new Porsche 911 GT3 R. The team’s two seasoned drivers Klaus Bachler from Austria and Patrick Pilet from France were supported in the 12-hour race by Belgian works driver Laurens Vanthoor, who had been behind the wheel of the Porsche 963 in the FIA WEC the day prior. The defending champions from Canada secured a class victory after twelve hours with a 2.7-second lead.

Klaus Bachler, Patrick Pilet, Laurens Vanthoor, l-r, IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship, Sebring, 2023, Porsche AG

Pfaff Motorsports' Klaus Bachler, Patrick Pilet, and Laurens Vanthoor

In the GTD class, in which professionals share the cockpit with ambitious amateurs, the new GT3 customer team Kelly-Moss with Riley put on an impressive show. Frenchman Julien Andlauer claimed third place in a thrilling finale and celebrated alongside his teammates David Brule and Alec Udell (both USA). The sister car and the two 911 GT3 R cars from Wright Motorsports finished sixth, seventh and eighth. The bright green “Rexy” nine-eleven fielded by AO Racing finished the race 16th in its class.

Round three of the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship season takes place on April 15 on the streets of the Californian port city of Long Beach.

Driver’s comments after the race

Mathieu Jaminet (Porsche 963 #6): “I would like to apologise to the entire Porsche motorsport family and the Porsche Penske Motorsport team for the accident. In the close finale on the pitch-black Sebring track, sadly such incidents can happen sometimes. I wanted to go all-out and take advantage of a small gap – unfortunately, that resulted in a big accident. My teammate Felipe had nothing to do with it but he was thrown out of the race, too. It was just a huge stroke of bad luck. And so, a great race had a terrible end. Still, I’d like to focus on the positives: The team did a fantastic job, the car was very strong in the race.”

Matt Campbell (Porsche 963 #7): “It’s such a shame that this race came to such an end. Both our Porsche 963s could have finished on the podium, but then came this accident. It was a very unfortunate chain of events. Nevertheless, we must say that our team did a great job. We clearly underlined our potential and will try to turn this into our first win at Long beach.”

Klaus Bachler (Porsche 911 GT3 R #9): “I’m truly at a loss for words. Yesterday I lost control of the car due to a small mistake and slid into the track barrier. That was tough for the team and also for me because that’s the worst thing that can happen in qualifying. But the team did an incredible job and fixed the car. I was thrilled that we were able to race again today. We went for a strategy that worked out perfectly. The team is really good at such things. We allowed ourselves no margin for error and we won the 12 Hours of Sebring. It’s quite the roller coaster of emotions…”

Julien Andlauer (Porsche 911 GT3 R #92): “To be honest, we wouldn’t have made any bets on a podium finish today. The competition was super close with 20 mostly very competitive cars in our class – anyone who finished in the top 10 could have won. But we never gave up, even when we were two laps down. That made the difference. Thanks to our great strategy and the right decisions on the pit wall we managed to fight our way back. That’s why I’m really happy about this podium finish. The Porsche 911 GT3 R went like a rocket, even if we were a touch short of the BMW. There were some very tough duels, bumper to bumper, nobody backed off. Sometimes we overtook two or three cars at once across the grass. But it was almost always fair. This result is well deserved because everybody worked hard for it. I don’t think we could’ve done any better today.”

Race results

GTP class:
    1. Derani/Sims/Aitken (BR/UK/UK), Cadillac #31, 322 laps
    2. Yelloly/De Philippi/Derani (UK/USA/BR), BMW M Hybrid V8 #25, 322 laps
    3. Tandy/Jaminet/Cameron (UK/F/USA), Porsche 963 #6, 315 laps
    6. Campbell/Nasr/Christensen (AUS/BR/DK), Porsche 963 #7, 315 laps

GTD-Pro class:
    1. Bachler/Pilet/Vanthoor (A/F/B), Porsche 911 GT3 R #9, 303 laps
    2. Hawksworth/Barnicoat/Kirkwood (UK/UK/USA), Lexus #14, 303 laps
    3. Juncadella/Gounon/Engel (E/F/D), Mercedes-AMG #79, 303 laps

GTD class:
    1. Sellers/Snow/Lewis (USA/USA/USA), BMW M4 GT3 #1, 301 laps
    2. Gallagher/Foley/Dinan (USA/USA/USA), BMW M4 GT3 #96, 301 laps
    3. Brule/Udell/Andlauer (USA/USA/F), Porsche 911 GT3 R #92, 301 laps
    6. Hardwick/Heylen/Robichon (USA/B/CDN), Porsche 911 GT3 R #16, 301 laps
    7. Metni/van Berlo/Evans (USA/NL/NZ), Porsche 911 GT3 R #91, 301 laps
    8. Brynjolfsson/Hindman/Root (USA/USA/USA), Porsche 911 GT3 R #77, 301 laps
    16. Hyett/Jeannette/Priaulx (USA/USA/UK), Porsche 911 GT3 R #80, 285 laps

The Qualifying

The No. 6 Porsche 963 fielded by the Porsche Penske Motorsport works team takes on the second round of the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship from position four on the grid. Frenchman Mathieu Jaminet turned a lap time of 1:46,426 minutes in qualifying for the 12 Hours of Sebring. His teammate Matt Campbell, however, had bad luck: In his No. 7 car, the Australian slid into the tyre wall in Turn 1, bringing his hunt for top times in Florida to an abrupt halt. Klaus Bachler experienced the same fate in the No. 7 Porsche 911 GT3 R of Pfaff Motorsports in the qualifying sessions of both GTD classes.

Mathieu Jaminet’s lap time in qualifying for the new top GTP class was significantly faster than all other laps achieved by the Porsche 963 in the practice sessions. With temperatures hovering around 20 degrees Celsius and bright sunshine, Campbell was determined to tap the full potential of the new hybrid prototype. However, early in the sixth lap, the rear of the Australian’s car hit the barriers on the inside of Turn 1. At the exit of the fast left-hander, his Porsche 963 slid off the track and into the tyre wall. Since Campbell was responsible for the red-flagging of the qualifying, his two fastest lap times were voided. The No. 7 car will tackle the race from seventh on the GTP grid. 

“Matt’s fine and that’s by far the main thing,” says Urs Kuratle. The Director of Factory Motorsport LMDh adds: “Now we need to see how badly damaged the rear of the car is. We’ll only be able to assess this when the vehicle is brought back to the garage. It’s a shame. The drivers are fighting hard with our car here, as we’ve clearly seen in this case. The gap to our rivals was about the same as in yesterday’s FIA WEC qualifying, although the track was a bit faster this morning. I hope we can join the frontrunners in the race.” 

Best Porsche 911 GT3 R tackles the GTD class from position five

The qualifying sessions for both GTD classes had to be red-flagged after Klaus Bachler’s accident. The Austrian also lost control of Pfaff Motorsports’ No. 9 car in Turn 1 and crashed into the tyre barrier. Bachler was unhurt in the accident. His Canadian team starts the race from P7 in the GTD-Pro class. In the GTD category, Jan Heylen was the fastest Porsche driver. The Belgian planted the No. 16 entry from Wright Motorsports on grid position four. The other customer cars fielded by Kelly-Moss with Riley, AO Racing and Wright Motorsports head into the second round of the season from further down the field. 

Porsche 911 GT3 R, Qualifying, IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship, Sebring, 2023, Porsche AG

The “Super Sebring” weekend continues on Friday, 17 March, with the 1,000-mile race of the FIA World Endurance Championship WEC. At the season opener, Porsche Penske Motorsport campaigns two Porsche 963, with six 911 RSR fielded by five customer teams. The race kicks off at noon local time (5 pm CET). The 12-hour race of the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship begins on Saturday, 18 March, at 10:10 am local time (3:10 pm CET).

Qualifying quotes from the drivers

Mathieu Jaminet (Porsche 963 #6): “Fourth place was the best we could do today. I made a minor error on my flying lap, although it didn’t make much difference. The car did better in qualifying than in the free practices, and our team did a great job there. We’re not yet where we want to be because we’re still a bit behind but we’re making progress. This was evident in the qualifying session. It’s great to see our IMSA and FIA WEC teams working closely together and sharing so much information. It’s a shame about Matt’s accident.” 

Matt Campbell (Porsche 963 #7): “That was far from ideal. I made a small mistake in Turn 1 which unfortunately had a big impact. I’m really sorry for the team. The car doesn’t seem to be too badly damaged. Our guys will fix it before the start of the race – then we’ll attack.” 

Klaus Bachler (Porsche 911 GT3 R #9): “I went a little wide in the first corner. The rear of the car became unstable on a bump and I wasn’t able to save it. I hit the tyre wall, but not as hard as it looked at first. Unfortunately, our team now has to repair the damages. Luckily we have some time before the start of the race. Tomorrow we want to launch our charge through the field.”

Jan Heylen (Porsche 911 GT3 R #16): “The red flags certainly didn’t play into our hands but that also prevented others from improving their times. On this track, it takes quite a long time to get the tyres into the ideal temperature window. One or two more laps would’ve been much better. Still, we have to live with it, especially since I probably wouldn’t have achieved the time of the fastest qualifiers anyway. Things are going much better than in Daytona but we still have a lot of work ahead of us. Let’s see what we can do in the race.”

Qualifying results

GTP class:
    1. Derani/Sims/Aitken (BR/UK/UK), Cadillac #31, 1:45.836 minutes
    2. Bourdais/van der Zande/Dixon (F/NL/NZ), Cadillac #01, 1:45.923 minutes
    3. Taylor/Albuquerque/Deletraz (USA/P/CH), Acura #10, 1:46.100 minutes
    4. Tandy/Jaminet/Cameron (UK/F/USA), Porsche 963 #6, 1:46.426 minutes
    7. Campbell/Nasr/Christensen (AUS/BR/DK), Porsche 963 #7, 1:46.851 minutes

GTD-Pro class:
    1. Garcia/Taylor/Milner (E/USA/USA), Corvette #3, 1:59.315 minutes
    2. Hawksworth/Barnicoat/Kirkwood (UK/UK/USA), Lexus #14, 1:59.582 minutes
    3. Juncadella/Gounon/Engel (E/F/D), Mercedes-AMG #79, 1:59.635 minutes
    7. Bachler/Pilet/Vanthoor (A/F/B), Porsche 911 GT3 R #9, no lap time

GTD class:
    1. Marcelli/Formal/Harrison (CDN/CR/USA), Acura #93, 1:59.714 minutes
    2. Ellis/Ward/Dontje (D/USA/NL), Mercedes-AMG #57, 1:59.834 minutes
    3. Montecalvo/Telitz/Thompson (USA/USA/CDN), Lexus #12, 1:59.944 minutes
    4. Hardwick/Heylen/Robichon (USA/B/CDN), Porsche 911 GT3 R #16, 2:00.022 minutes
    14. Metni/van Berlo/Evans (USA/NL/NZ), Porsche 911 GT3 R #91, 2:01.927 minutes
    16. Brynjolfsson/Hindman/Root (USA/USA/USA), Porsche 911 GT3 R #77, 2:02.612 minutes
    17. Hyett/Jeannette/Priaulx (USA/USA/UK), Porsche 911 GT3 R #80, 2:02.678 minutes
    19. Brule/Udell/Andlauer (USA/USA/F), Porsche 911 GT3 R #92, 2:04.555 minutes

Link: https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2023/motorsports/porsche-imsa-weathertech-sportscar-championship-round-2-sebring-usa-31639.html

I just watched this again: 

good times!

Yes, the 919 story is fantastic. They were this close to doing in all 4 years. I get to watch in person for the last 3 victories. The running joke between me and Porsche was that they didn't invite me for 2014 hence why they lost 

Let's see if that magic continues this year as I will be there again. Gonna be busy the whole time, got friends racing in LMP2 and GT also on top of Jacque in the top class. 

--

Whoopsy:

Yes, the 919 story is fantastic. They were this close to doing in all 4 years. I get to watch in person for the last 3 victories. The running joke between me and Porsche was that they didn't invite me for 2014 hence why they lost 

Let's see if that magic continues this year as I will be there again. Gonna be busy the whole time, got friends racing in LMP2 and GT also on top of Jacque in the top class. 

I think the contrast between programs is striking (one of the reasons I watched the video again).

See how Hitzinger says that "all concepts are compromises". For the 919 they chose to be very aggressive (in their concept) as they wanted the car to be as fast as possible and as soon as possible.

If we contrast that with the language coming out of the 963 program (from the start) it is like night and day. The focus for the 963 program seems to be "lets get the cars reliable  and get the cars to customers as fast as possible"

Only now does it seem that Porsche (Laudenbach) has realized how slow they are in relation to the competition. (

The reliability of our two Porsche 963 was not an issue this weekend. However, it became very obvious that we still have some catching up to do in many areas. Compared to the competition, we lack performance.

“We have to work on this systematically and intensively over the coming weeks.”)

This is what is so disappointing to me. The 919 program was a huge success (in racing terms). Porsche just needed to follow the recipe. They did not need to reinvent the wheel. Get the right people together, go as aggressive as possible,  and then work on reliability. Once successful, sales will come thick and fast.

Assuming that they now seem to want to concentrate on performance this is what I forsee:

Portimao: too soon. A slight improvement in braking (one of the issues detected) and maybe a slight improvement in tire ware possible.

Spa: Improvement should be noticeable but nowhere near their rivals yet.

Le Mans: another step in performance, but Le Mans is reserved for LMH. (Toyota has a 98% chance of victory with Ferrari their main opposition).

Monza: If we don't see a marked improvement by then, I suggest going back to the drawing board.

In my brief conversations with Porsche representatives at Sebring, I heard that they will be asking for a BOP adjustment in WEC.  For Toyotas to be 2 laps ahead of all competition is too much.  Also, Toyota has had basically the same car and crew over the past years, and others are just starting up.  

In IMSA, Porsche is competitive, as demonstrated at the 12 hours...

Wonderbar:

In my brief conversations with Porsche representatives at Sebring, I heard that they will be asking for a BOP adjustment in WEC.  For Toyotas to be 2 laps ahead of all competition is too much.  Also, Toyota has had basically the same car and crew over the past years, and others are just starting up.  

In IMSA, Porsche is competitive, as demonstrated at the 12 hours...

A BoP adjustment for WEC is obviously needed. The 4 wheel drive is a huge advantage in fast corners and in the rain. However, it is not enough. Porsche need to drastically improve its performance. Lets see what is the BoP adjustment , but I wont bet the farm on it being substantial.

IMO the WEC should reduce the weight of all the LMDH back to the original 1030 Kg and give them (LMDH) each another 250 RPM. Then we may have a fight on our hands.

In IMSA, they seem to be more competitive, but it is important to remember that their competition are all LMDH cars. Here Porsche are not yet at the Acura and Cadillac level. They need to get there fast.

BTW - The current BoP for Portimao/Spa/Le Mans actually has the Toyotas lighter than the Porsches. This is simple insanity, and it just goes to show how far removed from reality modelling can be .

https://johndagys.wpenginepowered.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/WEC_2023_D0031_Hypercar_BOP_08032023.pdf

Or the Porsches were supposed to be that bit quicker theoretically. It just didn't happened in real life. 

This time around Porsche can't bank on Toyotas being not reliable, they been racing long enough and learn enough to make a car that can last 24hrs. 

Weight and engine output are regulated and BoP-ed, so the only performance improvements Porsche can do is around corners. 

There is also the big variable, luck. One can be perfect yet still suffers, say punctures after punctures. Or got caught up in others wreck. We just saw that at Sebring. 

--

The weight was increased from the original 1030 kg to 1048 for Sebring. The WEC went with that number too. They need to go back to the original regulated weight of 1030kg.

Rumour is that they are having problems with engine vibrations

Still confident for June 2023…my garage wall.

Blueflame😎

A8191628-1316-4594-8FB2-E7266A020DCD.jpeg

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    780731 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442525 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263317 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261639 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85768 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5901 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881379 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    818744 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM