Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: 991.2 GT3 Thread Closed

MKSGR:
    RC:
    MKSGR:
    RC:

The upcoming 991 GT2 RS could also be an interesting track machine but a powerful bi-turbo charged engine and RWD? I don't know... For very skilled drivers maybe an interesting product but for casual track fun, the GT3 RS is certainly the more "satisfying" and forgiving machine in my opinion.

The GT2RS will be fun for one reason in particular - it will be fastest on track Smiley

Only in very skilled hands. Smiley

I would not be too concerned: the 997 GT2RS was quite Ok to drive fast. These 911 have great traction and stability despite RWD Smiley

Yes, and the electronic safety nets have been improving as well.

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Ok, reason for my post is that strange thread on rennlist about 991.2 GT3 Paris 2016 intro.

Poster claim:

Special new turbo engine combined with manual and PDK-S.

His source-a very special industrial spy...angel

At first I was amused with all comments and bets there but, after original poster sticked to the death with his claimes I decided to call my P source in Germany. He work at P and was usually 99.9% accurate in info thst he gave me. Most of the time it was a direct hints and clues about forthcoming products that proved to be accurate.

So, last night around 9pm I called him and in short conversation he told me that "somebody" is well aware about info on that rennlist thread and (!!!) that some info there is true. 

I silenced for few seconds and then directly asked what is true? He said I can not give you more info right now since it is little bit too early but, let say it that it is a strange mixture of false and accurate information.

Interesting post KresoF1

Could it be the Carrera GTS that will be announced in Paris? And that the GTS gets some engine tweaks + a new modified gearbox (PDK-S and Manua) that is not available for the normal Carreara S 3.0 turbo engine 

The GTS has been rumoured all the time to be announced prior to 991.2 GT3, right?

Kreso

Thanks for posting your info, I love the intrigue wink

--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.2 bar

I still think that someone is confusing the upcoming Carrera GTS with the 991.2 GT3 but... yes

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

I am not fan of intrigue.

My view, a personal guess...

991.2 GT2 RS

-a very special turbo

-intro July 2017

991.2 GT3 

-4.0l NA

-manual and PDK-S

-intro February 2017

And I could be wrong...

Appreciated KresoF1!

If Porsche decides to put a turbo engine inside the new GT3, then I do not know what to say... mail In my opinion, this would be the death of the GT3 but I may be wrong. Customers received the turbo engined Carrera quite well as it seems, so maybe a turbo charged GT3 will have the same reception? I doubt it though.

The GT2RS gets a turbo engine for sure, this is written in stone already.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

GT3 and GT4 will continue to be naturally aspirated.

GT2 RS will continue to be turbocharged.

Boxster Coupe GTS:

GT3 and GT4 will continue to be naturally aspirated.

GT2 RS will continue to be turbocharged.

I wouldn't bet on the GT4... Smiley There is a bit of confusion going on regarding the future of the GT4.

--

The language of the conversation is important since parsing sentences in English makes a big difference in meaning. The part that is true (based on the sentence "Special new turbo engine combined with manual and PDK-S" could mean that there will be a manual and PDK-S only.  A turbo in the GT3 seems beyond remote.  Also the major issue in that thread was a Paris introduction (claimed to be confirmed) for the GT3.  I believe it was Whoopsy here on RT who stated Geneva based on discussions w/ Porsche personnel at a 918 owners gathering.  I can't imagine anything more solid than that.

--

"Don't worry about avoiding temptation, as you grow older it will avoid you"  Churchill

RC:

If Porsche decides to put a turbo engine inside the new GT3, then I do not know what to say... mail In my opinion, this would be the death of the GT3 but I may be wrong. Customers received the turbo engined Carrera quite well as it seems, so maybe a turbo charged GT3 will have the same reception? I doubt it though.

A GT2 and a GT3 Turbo would to all intents and purposes be the same car. Maintaining both model designations for turbocharged cars would mean they are effectively relatively minor variations of each other, like the GT3 and GT3 RS have been in the past. 

--

fritz

fritz:
    RC:

A GT2 and a GT3 Turbo would to all intents and purposes be the same car. Maintaining both model designations for turbocharged cars would mean they are effectively relatively minor variations of each other, like the GT3 and GT3 RS have been in the past. 

I agree but how would customers react to that (turbo charged GT3)? There is a huge question mark here...

--

Isn't it a given that the GT2 RS will be turbo? The new race car is Turbo and the GT2 has always been a turbo.

RC:
    fritz:
    RC:

I agree but how would customers react to that (turbo charged GT3)? There is a huge question mark here...

I was not suggesting that a future GT3 should be turbocharged. On the contrary ............... Smiley

--

fritz

RC:

You wouldn't be wrong because carrera customers are not GT3 customers, you can get away with sticking a turbo on a Carrera, but not on a GT3, no way. Only way you can put a Turbo on a GT car is to sacrifice atmospheric chareacter to make a "statement" car with huge horsepower and torque numbers, i.e. a low volume GT2RS, but there is no way on a GT3.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

I personally think that it makes sense to have the Mk2 with the 4.0 engine and a Manual as a last hurray - but then I am sure Andreas and his Team is trying Turbo charged Versions of the 3.0 engine in the same Chassis with similar HP and must realize - like with rearwheel steering - that it might be the better package due y reasons etc.....not even considering CO2 numbers etc. Maybe the Special Thing is a either a electric-way to avoid lag (48v?) or a 3rd Turbo or anything in this direction making it a Special engine again - similar to a 488.....

As I said before I don't think a 20hp gain from a NA engine does the trick anymore for Porsche to stay par with the competition now that even a GTC has 550 hp...... - GT2RS is needed desperately and despite me personally loving NA engines - it's time to present something "fresher" than just taking a RS engine with 5 hp less......

DaveC:

The language of the conversation is important since parsing sentences in English makes a big difference in meaning. The part that is true (based on the sentence "Special new turbo engine combined with manual and PDK-S" could mean that there will be a manual and PDK-S only.  A turbo in the GT3 seems beyond remote.  Also the major issue in that thread was a Paris introduction (claimed to be confirmed) for the GT3.  I believe it was Whoopsy here on RT who stated Geneva based on discussions w/ Porsche personnel at a 918 owners gathering.  I can't imagine anything more solid than that.

--

"Don't worry about avoiding temptation, as you grow older it will avoid you"  Churchill

Yes it was me.

And I had more chit chats with Weissach personal last few days while I am here in Europe for the 918 event.
    Panamera 4 Hybrid at Paris, maybe the Targa GTS too.

GT3 is still scheduled for Geneva 2017 as Andy and Frank told us in March. It makes absolutely no sense for Porsche to do a GT3 launch in The Paris show when Geneva is that much more important as a car show.

4.0L NA with optional manual gearbox is still a go.

--

Oh BTW, I don't even remotely try to trust anything reported on Rennlist, seems like everyone there is just basically try to be as outrageous as possibly in their bets and if those come true they will be the biggest 'good source' for Porsche info, it must be a ego thing.
    --

991.2 GT2 RS

-a very special turbo

-intro July 2017

991.2 GT3 

-4.0l NA

-manual and PDK-S

-intro February 2017

Thanks, Kreso, I think your very well informed "personal guess" is spot-on!

Whoopsy:
    Oh BTW, I don't even remotely try to trust anything reported on Rennlist, seems like everyone there is just basically try to be as outrageous as possibly in their bets and if those come true they will be the biggest 'good source' for Porsche info, it must be a ego thing.

Smiley I wanted to start a bet with a guy on PFF (German Porsche forum) about the head- and tail lights of the 991 facelift because he claimed they will be bigger and similar to the 997 facelift lights and I told him that this is untrue. He was so aggressive in his response (he seems to work for a supplier of Porsche exhaust parts) to my posts that for the very first time in my life, I went into the offensive and offered him my car(!) in a bet but demanded his car as well (if I am right). Of course he never agreed... (not that it would have been legally binding anyway Smiley). Since that time, I stopped posting there. Too many egos (incl. mine) clashing together, not worth it.

--

Whoopsy:
    DaveC:

--

Yes it was me.

And I had more chit chats with Weissach personal last few days while I am here in Europe for the 918 event.

GT3 is still scheduled for Geneva 2017 as Andy and Frank told us in March. It makes absolutely no sense for Porsche to do a GT3 launch in The Paris show when Geneva is that much more important as a car show.

Nick is correct. Though I am not a 918 owner, I have had a long relationship with my dealer and though I am unable to give you specifics, he told me the GT3.2 will be Geneva with US allocations shortly thereafter. Also, it will be 4.0 and NA. I still don't know if there will be a .2RS which is the car I want. 

What all the rumors are about is the timing of the GTS. Porsche wants to sell the .2 GTS before introducing the GT3.

--

One of history's few iron laws is that luxuries tend to become necessities and to spawn new obligations.

Whoopsy:
    DaveC:

--

Yes it was me.

What about the "touring package" for a wingless GT3? Is that really happening?

Very good question...it is on and off all the time, so I guess...surprise, surprise. yes

It makes sense to offer such a package, 911R owners could be pissed though.

--

olli:

991.2 GT2 RS

-a very special turbo

-intro July 2017

991.2 GT3 

-4.0l NA

-manual and PDK-S

-intro February 2017

Thanks, Kreso, I think your very well informed "personal guess" is spot-on!

Maybe and maybe not...

Info from this morning:"New 991.2 versions will be presented in 2016 Paris Show"

Key word is "versions".

GTS
    --

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Yepp. GTS-versions in Paris. S, 4S, Targa 4S, etc. 450hp and the ordinary GTS cosmetic overahul with Carmine Red color, black spyder wheels and so on indecision

Wow! 😮 Revolutionary! 😂😴💤
    --

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

So, what happened to the turbo targa?
    --

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Maybe they confused GTS w/ GT3 on that  Rennlist thread?  Confusion and confabulation are the norm on those forums. The speculation here on Rennteam has more factual basis than the "facts" found elsewhere.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763478 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435939 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260803 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257767 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82134 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5324 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872812 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808297 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM