Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: 991 GT2 RS (2017) - Rumors, speculations and gossip Thread Closed

Whoopsy:

There will not be a GT2, just a GT2RS. It will be launch next summer.

Smiley

Do you know when the 991.2 GT3 will be launched?
    Paris or Geneva?

Any Infos (HP, Engine, ...)?

jamesdamanuk1:
    Pmarkow i live about an hour from Cambridge over near Diss if you need a new home for the GT3RS it doesn't need to come far to find one ;-) :-)

LHD, but fine with me:::))))

Leawood911:

My 07 manual turbo with limited slip is not exactly loosing money. Worth what I paid for it four years or so ago. Now at 86,000 miles.  Who knows in ten years?

Here's a list of excuses the buyer will come up with (will differ from region to region) but this is what my P pre-owned department came up with for my GT2 Smiley

- Manual Transmission

- Too powerful

- Harsh ride

- Cup tires are not recommended for daily use, because N-rated and no replacements available in the market

- Clutch condition = excellent and history shows it was never replaced, but how ?

I would've never sold my GT2 and was planning to add a 959 / CGT, but due to their poop attitude from pre-owned department and service center, it was time to move on and never look back Smiley

Nothing will replace the rawness of 997, the newer generations will be faster and that much easier to drive,of course, more buyers will have access to the 2RS because of PDK and have no idea what's about to explode at full throttle  Smiley but I'm expecting the all new revamped TC/Stability will keep the tail from wiggling on hard accelerations.

biturbo...fully agree with you. I like my gt2 very much still as well. and find that it covers my 911 needs perfectly.

compared to todays cars it is indeed kind of raw and purist.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

997 Chassis is simply fantastic - even if slower - it has all the 911 attributes for sure - 100% agree !

Dane:
    Whoopsy:

Smiley

Paris or Geneva?

Geneva 2017. Upcoming Paris show is for Panamera 4 Hybrid, and perhaps Targa GTS. Paris is not as important as Geneva and no way Porsche is gonna showcase the GT3 there. Pointless rumour on Rennlist.

--

ShaunRS:
    Do you expect UK dealers to get as many as 2 GT2RS each? I was expecting it would be more limited supply like the 911R. I

So far, it seems that the GT2RS will only be limited by demand and a (pretty short?) production lifespan. 

Things can change though, so... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

I have received a special invitation by Porsche to go on lake Como ( which I will not be able to attend ) Besides the event they are inviting me to, they said they would show us a new exclusivity . I wonder which one ? 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Whoopsy:
    Dane:
    Whoopsy:

Smiley

Paris or Geneva?

Geneva 2017. Upcoming Paris show is for Panamera 4 Hybrid, and perhaps Targa GTS. Paris is not as important as Geneva and no way Porsche is gonna showcase the GT3 there. Pointless rumour on Rennlist.

My understanding is it definitely will be a 4L. hp remains uncertain but close to 500.

--

One of history's few iron laws is that luxuries tend to become necessities and to spawn new obligations.

nberry:

My understanding is it definitely will be a 4L. hp remains uncertain but close to 500.

Yes, will be close to 500hp. Interesting that rumors began at 500hp, then shifted to 490-495hp to protect supremacy of R and RS, and now people are saying 510hp. These differences are inconsequential, except from a marketing perspective...

I think the new turbo 991.2 GTS will be very fast, so they can't be too conservative with performance improvements on the new GT3 to preserve their hierarchy...

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Grant, that makes a lot of sense.kiss My 991.1GT3 with 472hp was a beast. Another 25-30 ponies will make the car howl. However, I doubt we will see 9000RPM's with the new engine. Too bad, that was a blast.

--

One of history's few iron laws is that luxuries tend to become necessities and to spawn new obligations.

auto motor u sport recently had an article where they mentioned 4.2l

my understanding was that the limit for the boxer 6 is at 4l

usually ams are pretty accurate.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Gnil:

I have received a special invitation by Porsche to go on lake Como ( which I will not be able to attend ) Besides the event they are inviting me to, they said they would show us a new exclusivity . I wonder which one ? 

Eric,if i may ask,when will be the event?

Thanks!

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II(sold),2011 Cayenne Turbo(sold),waiting 991 GT3 RS

nberry:

I doubt we will see 9000RPM's with the new engine. Too bad, that was a blast.

I will be very satisfied with 8,600 or 8,800 rpm (and the additional torque from 4.0L), if they truly address some of the reliability issues this time...

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Super Darius:
    Gnil:

Thanks!

Macan Diesel RS
    --

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

bluelines:
    Super Darius:
    Gnil:

Thanks!

Macan Diesel RS

In White,will be for sure a winner!Smiley

--

Super Darius:
    bluelines:
    Super Darius:
    Gnil:

Thanks!

Macan Diesel RS

I heard it will only come in a special "racing" colour: Salmon Pink Smiley Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

bluelines:
    Super Darius:
    bluelines:
    Super Darius:
    Gnil:

Thanks!

Macan Diesel RS

I heard it will only come in a special "racing" colour: Salmon Pink Smiley Smiley

With stripes?if yes,can be faster than THE white GT4Smiley

--

Super Darius:
    Gnil:

Thanks!

Did you get it too ?   my choice was 19 or 20 th October 

--

Super Darius:
    bluelines:
    Super Darius:
    bluelines:
    Super Darius:
    Gnil:

Thanks!

Macan Diesel RS

With stripes?if yes,can be faster than THE white GT4Smiley

I' ve got to secure one quickly , they will sell for twice the price on the 2nd hand market  !!! Smiley

--

Gnil:
    Super Darius:
    Gnil:

Thanks!

Did you get it too ?   my choice was 19 or 20 th October 

nope Smiley

--

KresoF1:

I am not fan of intrigue.

My view, a personal guess...

991.2 GT2 RS

-a very special turbo

-intro July 2017

Any clues to what this means ?

VTG turbos ? unlikely if it is to have over 650hp as they would not develop a bigger turbo just for one limited model

An advanced BW design drawn from the EFR series developed in the US ?

Different brand turbos (than BW), as used on the Cayennes and Pans ?

A third small turbo for some kind of quick spool arrangement ?

Delivery enhanced by an electric motor somehow ?

--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.2 bar

The answer is in one of your guesses. 

All very good questions. My hunch is that

(i) whatever they may be developing for the RSR race car may have spin-off effect on the road car in terms of turbo tech asssuming that the race engine will be used, or

(ii) the engine and turbo tech being developed for the 992 gen turbo road car will make its first appearance.

The other key question is still whether the GT2 RS will "just" be an HP monster or also feature the reverse engine-gearbox transmission mooted for the 2017 RSR race car...that would make it truly special IMHO.

In lack of a "960", Porsche is well advised to "deliver" with the 991 GT2 RS.

A turbo charged monster GT3 RS won't cut it, this (GT2RS) car needs to be fast on the track and straight line.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

KresoF1:

It has to be some sort of lag mitigation.

My guess is turbos correctly sized for 700hp (which will be quite big, ~70mm compressor wheels) which with production friendly intercoolers (ie cheap ones as currently, although with the 200K + price tag it would be incredible if Porsche gave us some proper stuff and commissioned their old supplier Secan to supply a run of proper intercoolersSmiley) which will hit full boost around 3500rpm, these turbos will be conventional non VTG, maybe a break from BW.

The anti lag will either be third turbo or some electric stuff. Packaging for the third turbo is too challenging on the flat six layout so I'm thinking some kind of electric motor assistance, Porsche must be pretty hot on this tech after the 918 and all the other hybrid stuff so it must be doable.

I can't believe that Porsche are managing to keep this under wraps so well as this is a massive development for a 911 engine, very exciting.....

--

TB993tt:
    KresoF1:

My guess is turbos correctly sized for 700hp (which will be quite big, ~70mm compressor wheels) which with production friendly intercoolers (ie cheap ones as currently, although with the 200K + price tag it would be incredible if Porsche gave us some proper stuff and commissioned their old supplier Secan to supply a run of proper intercoolersSmiley) which will hit full boost around 3500rpm, these turbos will be conventional non VTG, maybe a break from BW.

The anti lag will either be third turbo or some electric stuff. Packaging for the third turbo is too challenging on the flat six layout so I'm thinking some kind of electric motor assistance, Porsche must be pretty hot on this tech after the 918 and all the other hybrid stuff so it must be doable.

I can't believe that Porsche are managing to keep this under wraps so well as this is a massive development for a 911 engine, very exciting.....

I spoke with Walliser at COTA last weekend; he clearly conveyed no hybrid until next generation due to packaging limitations in 991 chassis.

Guest:

I spoke with Walliser at COTA last weekend; he clearly conveyed no hybrid until next generation due to packaging limitations in 991 chassis.

Would this be classed/categorised as "Hybrid" ? If the motor couldn't run on electric only (which is likely if it is there, tuned to run specifically only in tandem with the turbo motor as an antilag device Smiley

PEALS

--

TB993tt:
    Guest:

Would this be classed/categorised as "Hybrid" ? If the motor couldn't run on electric only (which is likely if it is there, tuned to run specifically only in tandem with the turbo motor as an antilag device Smiley

PEALS

--

Great point - don't know and it wasn't like I was cross examining him.

TB993tt:
    KresoF1:

Just thinking some more about this, these electric motors add their torque to the output of the gas engines presumably through some gear mechanism (I don't understand it but thought that was the way it works on the 918) so if this is the case then a 580hp turbo S type motor could gain another 100 or so hp into the driveline from a smaller electric motor hence no need for big blowers.... FFS will someone tell us what is going on Smiley Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/29/24 9:42 PM
    watt
    783977 1799
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    443302 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263629 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    262265 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    86329 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6073 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

882011 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    821367 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM