Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: [2022] Formula 1

JoeRockhead:
    Whoopsy:

Wonder who is buying that dinner.

Maybe they will make Latifi do it just because he is the richest 

looks like the bill is in front of Yuki. Smiley

Lance is at the head of the table, but I'm sure his dad needs every penny to pay for those Vakyries. 

It was the bye bye dinner of Vettel

Leawood911:
    Whoopsy:

Wonder who is buying that dinner.

Maybe they will make Latifi do it just because he is the richest 

Who is the DD?

His dad Michael is of Sofina food, parent company to the Lavazza coffee logo that was on the Williams Sofina's logo was also on the Williams before. His mom is from the Saputo family, another food company. Between the 2 empires, they literally own every brand of groceries stocked in Canada, from meat to dairy to cooking oil and more.

--

Good to know. I meant designated driver.  (I don’t drink so it is always me). 

Leawood911:

Good to know. I meant designated driver.  (I don’t drink so it is always me). 

Good to know, for future RT meets Smiley

So it is confirmed Hamilton is the one paying for dinner. He is also the one that organized the whole thing.

Maybe Max doesn't want to be there on the same table but with all the bad press about him lately, he doesn't need another. Shows he can still be a good sport. 

Another tidbit about the 2023 season. The top 4 drivers from the 2018 F2 championship will all be on the grid. Russell, Norris, Albon and finally de Vries. 

--

Liam Lawson was quickkiss

Some more indication that Red Bull is in a mess right now. 

Helmut Marko announced to the press they have signed Ricciardo to a reserve driver contract for 2023. Only to have the team immediately told another outlet that they haven't. 

They really like having mess after mess about their team as news headlines. 

--

More 'great idea' by the FIA.

They wanted to explore using wheel arches for when the extreme wet tires are being used, to control the spray. Supposed to be temporary ones.

Which also means the drivers will be like, who is daring enough to switch to inters at the earliest opportunity in order to remove the arches and gain aero advantage. Which, basically means drivers taking more risks and being dangerous again. Back to square 1.

--

back to normal in Q3

What do they call this? Unintentional poetic justice.

Perez was the greatest defender last year to help Max, in return, Hamilton did what he did and hold up Perez enough that he can't catch and pass Leclerc for 2nd.

Outside of that, nothing really happening during the race. Despite the recent changes, Abu Dhabi is. still one of the most  boring circuit there are in the calendar. If not for the dollars, it would have been long gone.

Nice to see Vettel earning one last point for his career. Could he be back? I don't think so.

Alpine lucked out that Ricciardo went no where all season in the McLaren, gifting them 4th in the championship. Had Ricciardo been half decent this season, they would have finished behind McLaren for sure.

End of 2022.

Next year will be interesting to see how everyone started off. From the performance side, Red Bull was head and shoulders above everyone else. Would there be any meaningful penalties realized from them being caught cheating last year? Or it will just be business as usual as the bulk of the development for this regulation cycle is all done, whatever left is just minor things here and there and doesn't really hurt them. 

I am leaning towards business as usual. Like Mercedes aced the engine out of the gate during the last set of regulations, Red Bull nailed the aero this time around, everyone else are playing catch up. 

Gasly has dropped off majorly, is it because he wanted to avoid getting more penalty points? If he keep driving like this, it doesn't look good for Alpine next year.

How good will Piastri be, can he go near Norris? 

Haas, will Hulk live up the his hype? 

Alpha Tauri, how long will Yuki last? For sure de Vries will out drive Yuki, Yuki is only there because of Honda, but there is a point where enough is enough.

What's the over/under in races that Alonso will start screwing his new team Aston Martin? 5 races? Will he avoid embarrassing Junior? Or he will be like fuck it I don't give a fuck.

--

great drive CHUCKkisswink

A GREAT SEASON, NICE JOB MAX, RBSmiley

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by FORMULA 1® (@f1)

--

Mercedes, de Vries and Alpha Tauri haring some fun after the season ended.

They have a delivery for Alpha Tauri.

Loved the Donuts!!  A good summary, ahttps://www.planetf1.com/features/2022-f1-abu-dhabi-grand-prix-conclusions/lthough this is pandering and false re Lewee: "he has conducted himself with great dignity in 2022."  the rest on him is on point:

https://www.planetf1.com/features/2022-f1-abu-dhabi-grand-prix-conclusions/

watt:

Loved the Donuts!!  A good summary, ahttps://www.planetf1.com/features/2022-f1-abu-dhabi-grand-prix-conclusions/lthough this is pandering and false re Lewee: "he has conducted himself with great dignity in 2022."  the rest on him is on point:

https://www.planetf1.com/features/2022-f1-abu-dhabi-grand-prix-conclusions/

How is that false may I ask?

Of the 22 drivers that took a start in 2022, he has the greatest dignity. Even in defeats he is gracious, and that's the hardest thing ever to do. 

He had always treat others with respect and curtesy, even during the darkest days of his career aka Abu Dhabi 2021, and a low point of his career as in the 2022 season. 

He treated all reporters that ask him questions well, did not take out his frustrations on them like others. 

He is someone that was brought up correctly, was never spoiled and taking things for granted. He has earned every thing he has. He is literally the model citizen for F1. (Not counting his political views and fashion choices). A true gentleman. 

His polar opposite would have been Verstappen. Everything was given to him, spoiled since he was a baby. Throwing tantrums at will and at whoever. Doesn't treat anyone, as in any one, with respect. He only respect himself and that's about it. The sport, the team, everything is below him. Your picture perfect punk, bad boy, you name it. Yuki is a close second but Yuki doesn't have the success of Verstappen. 

Everyone else on the grid falls somewhere between these 2 extremes. 

--

I really have to disagree with you on how you see Verstappen, Nick.

Verstappen was brought up by a brute of a father and nothing ever came easy. The two of them worked tirelessly for his entire youth to become the best of the best. They set aside everything to succeed. Part of what makes you think he is an entitled, spoilt kid comes from how hard they worked: he behaves entitled, because he worked for it. He demands the very best of everybody around him, because that is how he looks at himself. True, others may have worked just as hard and are not as demanding towards others (or don’t communicate it so harshly), but that part is his Dutch upbringing; he will not sugarcoat things and say them brutally honestly.

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Joost:

Verstappen was brought up by a brute of a father and nothing ever came easy. The two of them worked tirelessly for his entire youth to become the best of the best. They set aside everything to succeed. Part of what makes you think he is an entitled, spoilt kid comes from how hard they worked: he behaves entitled, because he worked for it. He demands the very best of everybody around him, because that is how he looks at himself. True, others may have worked just as hard and are not as demanding towards others (or don’t communicate it so harshly), but that part is his Dutch upbringing; he will not sugarcoat things and say them brutally honestly.

Nice explanation. I can relate to a father like that. If one is going to ‘mind read’ what motivates someone it is always best to paint a positive picture if just guessing.   

So he's just perpetuating the behavior that was instilled into him by his father? If his answers and attitude are "I was treated harshly and it made me better, so I treat others like so to make them better" then it's only a matter of time till someone pushes that limit past it's breaking point. Also it just makes him a bit of an ass, successful or not. 

PS: To make the case against my point, go watch the movie Whiplash. 

Joost:

Dutch upbringing isn't an excuse. You are Dutch, I have met you in person, you are a wonderful person to be around with. I spent some time in Amsterdam also, the worse drunken Dutch I have seen is still miles better than a drunken Englishman in a pub. Actually Scottish ones are the worse but that's another story.

I am not grouping him into the others like Rosberg, Latifi, Mazepin and Stroll. He has a natural gift for driving talent, more so than Rosberg.

Because of his dad's connections, he has a head start over others, and due to his talent, he climbed to the top of the hill. Twice already.

As opposed to Hamilton. No one planned a path for him, it was himself that went up to Ron Dennis to initiate things. Had Ron refused, where would Hamilton be right now? Maybe he will get discovered by someone else or maybe he will just disappeared. 

Regardless, demanding the best from all around them is a trait for all champions, Verstappen isn't the only one. 

Being champion also comes with responsibilities however. You in the spotlight now, you need to act accordingly. Setting examples for others to follow. Being polite and courteous is a must. 

Alonso was semi-hostile when he was champ, back to back champ. But he knows where to draw that line. He has a presentable side. I have seen his worse personally, inside a Singapore hotel lobby, towards a fan. But that was many many years ago and he has since grow up and is nice around people now. 

Rosberg was another hostile one, but he too has since mellow out.

Vettel was always approachable. 

Verstappen needs to grow up. He needs to act like an adult soon. He is the main draw for F1, head of the pack for the current crop of young guns. The spotlight is on him now. 

--

I agree with you in that he is pretty rowdy and probably not the nicest guy to work with (to say the least), but he isn't spoilt in the sense that everything came easy for him, far from it. I think in time he will also find the balance between borderless ambition to win on the one side and being a nice person on the other side.

And thanks for the compliments, likewise mate! wink

--

Enmanuel:

So he's just perpetuating the behavior that was instilled into him by his father? If his answers and attitude are "I was treated harshly and it made me better, so I treat others like so to make them better" then it's only a matter of time till someone pushes that limit past it's breaking point. Also it just makes him a bit of an ass, successful or not. 

PS: To make the case against my point, go watch the movie Whiplash. 

No, that's not what I meant, just that he is basically living his father's ambition. His upbringing brought him where he is and let's not forget, he is still maturing big time. I can imagine a mercilessly ambitious upbringing takes some time to shed. And yes, sadly he comes across as an ass on more than one occassion. Let's hope he'll grow out of that behavior once he gets a bit older and more mature.

Thanks for the movie suggestion mate, will watch it! Smiley​​​​​​​

--

Joost:

I agree with you in that he is pretty rowdy and probably not the nicest guy to work with (to say the least), but he isn't spoilt in the sense that everything came easy for him, far from it. I think in time he will also find the balance between borderless ambition to win on the one side and being a nice person on the other side.

And thanks for the compliments, likewise mate! wink

His dad planned, and made all the connections needed, that's what made it easy for him. Or easier than others, that's the spoiled bit. But I mean he still need to perform and out perform his peers, which he did spectacularly, that bit is very different than the Mazepins and Strolls and Latifis.

I was thinking after being gifted the 2021 title, he would have grown up and act accordingly. He sort of did for 2022, and he won that one handily to be a 2 time champ. That should do it right? Nope.

I still have hope that he will act properly for 2023. I mean, eventually, someone somewhere had to tell him that he isn't acting appropriately and needed to change. 

One can be a ruthless competitor on track yet be a nice human being off track, these 2 attributes aren't mutually exclusive. 

--

Whoopsy:

One can be a ruthless competitor on track yet be a nice human being off track, these 2 attributes aren't mutually exclusive. 

Yeah, wholeheartedly agree.  1531251576305amiguitos.gif

--

Joost:

No, that's not what I meant, just that he is basically living his father's ambition. ...

I wonder if that's part of his aggressive behavior. He may be the world champion at the moment, but just because you're good at something doesn't mean it's what you want to be doing. 

Thanks for the movie suggestion mate, will watch it! Smiley

It's one of my favorite movies ever, and it deals with the matter of pushing someone to the limit to make them better. 

Binotto officially out as Ferrari Team Principal. 

Thank God!

more of a mulletwink

Business up front, party in the back seems more appropriate for Kimi, not Bottas.  

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/17/24 7:48 AM
    GnilM
    661435 1775
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    400996 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    254572 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    229040 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    59386 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4374 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

853366 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    761522 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM