Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: my 987S list of options...

Quote:
    Malmsteen said:
    yea...
    well is actually $4290 for the paint here

i was refering to the Cocoa Soft top only.. not the interior..
    too red to me...

talking about resale it.. just wondering when will you guys want to sell(or trade in for another new porsche) your boxster?.. after how long..etc?

I don't know how long I will keep mine - as long as I can afford it, because I will do this only once.

On the subject of colour, if you are having a black interior I would have gone for a black roof. Cocoa roof would look better combined with cocoa interior. Colour coded centre console looks great, i agree. I've just had a quote to retrofit an tequipment aluminium look centre console in mine - quote was THREE times the cost of specifying it with the car. Unfortunately that option wasn't available when I specced my car as it was one of the early ones. I will live without it, at that price!

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    retrofit an tequipment aluminium look centre console in mine

I'll do it for you. There's an offer on silver spray paint on at B&Q. Do it for half the price the OPC is charging.

Quote:
    talking about resale it.. just wondering when will you guys want to sell(or trade in for another new porsche) your boxster?.. after how long..etc?

Thinking about keeping it for 2 years or so, as daily driver. At that point it will depend on whether we move back to the US or not and what the monetary situation looks like before I decide which car is next. If we stay put in the UK, we might keep it for up to 4 years.

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    retrofit an tequipment aluminium look centre console in mine

I'll do it for you. There's an offer on silver spray paint on at B&Q. Do it for half the price the OPC is charging.

did you do it??

any pic? hehe

Quote:
    Rich C (UK) said:"Hear, hear!!" says the bloke who's just bought another car 'cos 100+ miles a day was a bit too much to be putting on the Boxster - ho, hum - do as I say, not as I do!!

Oh no! You're letting the side down!
    You got a Kia Picanto now as well then, Rich?
    I'll let know know when I start commuting again. It used to be a 100 mile round trip to Bristol... But twisties all the way.

I went with no PASM, put the money towards Carrera Classics...I agree with most drivers about the Sport Chrono - pointless unless you're racing your baby - and considering I am in Manhattan, I will probably have 1/32 of a mile to use such a feature...also looks ugly atop the center stack...I'd rather take out the head unit, custom integrate a Tiffany timepiece, with a high-end Alpine F1 headunit beneath it...

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    [You got a Kia Picanto now as well then, Rich?

Don't get jealous now boys, just because the Kia is a better car than a Porsche (according to JD Power). And MP3, And Cobalt Blue and a smooth leather steering wheel, and a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    [You got a Kia Picanto now as well then, Rich?

Don't get jealous now boys, just because the Kia is a better car than a Porsche (according to JD Power). And MP3, And Cobalt Blue and a smooth leather steering wheel, and a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty.

Actually gone to the dark side - the smokey dark side, yep - diesel!!! now the prowd owner of a VW Golf 2.0TDi, only 10nM short of the torque of the Boxster S though

I would add the sport shifter and forget the PASM. How fun can it be without body roll and dive when you go around corner fast .

I find the factory sport shifter in my 987S much smoother then the aftermarket B&M shifter in my 986.

Am I the only one that seem to find that with the car in Sport mode and the PASM in Normal mode the ride is a bit harder than if the Sport mode is off?

When I'm not that willing to feel every bump on the road, I like to turn the sport on with the PASM in normal. It gives a much more responsive response on the accelerator and (it might just be me) the suspension and steering wheel.

Getting back on the PASM discussion, I actually do like it a lot. The car is much smoother than my previous 986 while maintaining the same feeling of sportiveness.

The best bet would be to try a car with and one without to make up your mind.

anyone know the price of retrofiting the 19"S wheels?...

maybe i will throw in the PASM and keep the 18" then get 19"S in the future if i feel like it?

For info, I wad at my dealer in muxemburg this week.
    Some promotions about retrofitted 19" wheels with tyres (continental, very bad) : approx 4000 euros !!!!
    I I were you, I will order directly 19 wheel, because it's very expensive on aftermarket

can you tell me whats the originial price of ordering the 19 wheels directly? in euros..so i can compare...

Quote:
    thierry said:
    For info, I wad at my dealer in muxemburg this week.
    Some promotions about retrofitted 19" wheels with tyres (continental, very bad) : approx 4000 euros !!!!
    I I were you, I will order directly 19 wheel, because it's very expensive on aftermarket

When I looked to 'upgrade' from 17s to 18s on my last Boxster I actually got a good px quote on the 'old' wheels hich made the cost not too far off what it would have been to get them in the first place - might be worth asking the OPC for a indicative quote, plus if you time it with when the tyres are due for replacement anyway the total outlay may not be too bad.

That's a darned good idea Rich! Might consider that, but for the moment I'm quite happy with the 18's. And you can see the calipers better too. As I've probably said before, PASM reduces the wheel arch gap a little, and that takes the edge off the smaller wheel. tyre footprints are the same.

by the way i notice 987S with the 19" wheels it looks like there are big gaps between the body and the tires...

is it just me?

It's just you

I'm sorry if I'm stating the blindingly obvious to you, but the wheel diameter (including tyre) is the same for the 18" as it is the 19", so the gap between the tyre and the wheel arch is identical. The only thing that would reduce this is adding PASM.

I'm sure I will be corrected if this is wrong!

hello guys
    still thinking crazy about choosing the options haha..

i am thinking doing a stone grey interior with silver exterior.. then should i get a black soft top or grey soft top?...

I personally think the grey soft top looks a little odd.
    Go with black? Mind you, I'm not keen on the stone grey interior either. Reminds me of 1980s fashion.

Glad you're having fun with the options. It's what it's all about

i agree on that grey soft top too..maybe i will just stick with the black.. haha who knows..

i am also thinking about ditching the sport chrono...

just wondering does it really make a different for tip driver??

Quote:
    Malmsteen said:
    hello guys

i am thinking doing a stone grey interior with silver exterior.. then should i get a black soft top or grey soft top?...

Why not get the two tone full leather interior and the grey top? That way the transition makes more sense, at least to me.

mcdelaug

Quote:
    Malmsteen said:
    hello guys

Yes, picking the "right" combo can be nerve racking.

The silver on grey just seems a little dull IMO seen it more than a few times and always left me a little cold.

Have you thought about Silver/Sea Blue with a blue top. This is a very classic and good looking combo. Then you could do such things as a silver painted center column and silver seat belts!

umm
    blue is special too but not my colour

by the way

are the sport seats are more comfortable than the normal seats?

Quote:
    Malmsteen said:
    umm
    blue is special too but not my colour

by the way

are the sport seats are more comfortable than the normal seats?

I wouldn't say they are more comfortable.....but they do hug you better. Some people have said they tend to push their shoulders forward, while others find them wonderful. Definitely something you should try before ordering.

I agree - I have them in my car and find them really good. This is one option you MUST try before you buy.

And don't try the seats just in the showroom. You only really notice which one is for you after you've driven for 20 minutes. I found the sports seats very uncomfortable.

Malmsteen, I'll fall off my chair when you finally place your order! I don't think you're bugging your local dealer nearly enough! You can't choose based solely on our second-hand opinions. (And we are an opinionated lot!)

as i read down the Tiptronic page of the offical site.. i found out something interesting

http://content3.us.porsche.com/prod/boxster/boxsters.nsf/usaenglish/performancetiptronic

so there is a Econ and Sport mode for the tiptronic??
    then i dont have to get the sport chrono for a more responisve throttle

No buttons. Its a 'learning' gearbox. It automatically adjusts its shift pattern depending on your driving style at the time. The blurb on the site says 5 shift patterns, but I believe this is now a range of 256 for the 05 Boxster. Or that's what my salesman lead me to believe.

Basically, if you start driving the car like a maniac, it'll change the shift points for you to match, and try to give you more engine braking, that sort of thing.

Likewise, if you're easy on the throttle, it'll switch to a more economical mode.

It has a gearbox warmup cycle as well.

It's supposed to be quite good for an auto box, but I've always been a manual man, so I found it obstructive.

hello i got a new list again lol!

Boxster S
    Tiptronic
    Artic Silver
    Cocoa interior and soft top
    Sport chrono
    18"s wheels
    heated seat
    dimming mirror/rain sensor
    bose sound with windstop
    bi-xeon headlights...
    wheels caps..

but then i prefer the orignial options i decided...

That sounds very nice Malmsteen

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690926 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410099 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256164 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235387 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65736 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858760 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775056 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM