Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: AMG ONE

The problem with this car imo is that it has nothing special and some crucial things like engine, sound or design are even underwhelming. The problem is not that it pricetag is very high, the problem is it's not worth it, it can't justify that pricetag with anything special supercarish except the huge development costs and delay. Personally this car leaves me with a big "meh"...

It is special in a sense that it basically has a Formula 1 engine from 2016 in it. The homologation process was a nightmare, they need to pre-heat the cats before starting the car. However, most people oviously prefer a glorious sounding V12, I do as well.

I am obviously not in the market for cars in this price segment and even if I would be, I would not buy the ONE but I can appreciate the specialness of this thing.

Furterhmore, the track was not dry, there are wet / damp parts all over the lap which is certainly not confidence inspiring for a driver. I am sure Mercedes will come back on a dry day and further improve the laptime.

Josef:

It is special in a sense that it basically has a Formula 1 engine from 2016 in it. The homologation process was a nightmare, they need to pre-heat the cats before starting the car. However, most people oviously prefer a glorious sounding V12, I do as well.

Right, what the point of trying to fit a tiny F1 engine on a road car? it doesn't give it more performance, most of the performance comes from the EV drivetrain, it doesn't make it sound better, actually sounds horrible, it even adds unnecessary complexity like having to wait for the cats to preheat or an engine rebuild every 50k... it's an expensive and  pointess proof of concept exercise, nothing like the Valkyrie engine or the T-50 engine for example which translate into real-world driver's nirvana.

Whoopsy:

Van Gogh's painting are accepted to be expensive. But are they good paintings by merit? Or only by reputation because who painted it? I would argue his paintings are garbage. It's only bid up astronomically because some people have interest in keeping the prices high. My son did oil painting lessons when he was young. He did one when he was 6, it was of a vase with flowers on a table by a window. I think he did a better job painting something than Van Gogh. Why would I pay $200 mil for a Van Gogh when my son did a better painting for free? Is that the argument? What is 'worth it'?

Let's not agree about that Smiley. If we were making a parallel with Van Gogh, we'd need the project to die. Then in a few years a savvy marketing member form the MB team should resurrect it and sell them at a premium. 

Enmanuel:
    Whoopsy:

Van Gogh's painting are accepted to be expensive. But are they good paintings by merit? Or only by reputation because who painted it? I would argue his paintings are garbage. It's only bid up astronomically because some people have interest in keeping the prices high. My son did oil painting lessons when he was young. He did one when he was 6, it was of a vase with flowers on a table by a window. I think he did a better job painting something than Van Gogh. Why would I pay $200 mil for a Van Gogh when my son did a better painting for free? Is that the argument? What is 'worth it'?

Let's not agree about that Smiley. If we were making a parallel with Van Gogh, we'd need the project to die. Then in a few years a savvy marketing member form the MB team should resurrect it and sell them at a premium. 

Haha. It sort of was dead. The AMG ONE lost American certification so all the initial American buyers are out of luck. They had to re-market those allocations to RoW clients. The Ring record would help. 

--

Carlos from Spain:
    Josef:

Right, what the point of trying to fit a tiny F1 engine on a road car? it doesn't give it more performance, most of the performance comes from the EV drivetrain, it doesn't make it sound better, actually sounds horrible, it even adds unnecessary complexity like having to wait for the cats to preheat or an engine rebuild every 50k... it's an expensive and  pointess proof of concept exercise, nothing like the Valkyrie engine or the T-50 engine for example which translate into real-world driver's nirvana.

I actually appreciate the engineering behind the car. It is right up there in complexity with the 918. I mean, Mercedes took quite a bit longer than Porsche to master the required skills but they got it now. 

Mercedes did the project for bragging rights. Not sure if they have plans to incorporate anything on the AMG ONE into other road cars, unlike the 918 where everything on the car has a use later. 

--

Whoopsy:
    Carlos from Spain:
    Josef:

I actually appreciate the engineering behind the car. It is right up there in complexity with the 918. I mean, Mercedes took quite a bit longer than Porsche to master the required skills but they got it now. 

Mercedes did the project for bragging rights. Not sure if they have plans to incorporate anything on the AMG ONE into other road cars, unlike the 918 where everything on the car has a use later. 

But the 918 was special, it's NA engine, it's performance at the time, it's everyday usability, etc

LOL can't believe I am actually defending Mercedes against Porsche but here we are

One could argue the AMG ONE is also unique, it's has the F1 engine in it. It does hold the Ring record now so arguably nothing is faster. Everything on it is bespoke, outside of a few Mercedes stock buttons. 

Usability is a bit subjective. Everyone has their opinions. Same with practicality. But yeah, the 918 trumps it. I can go on long road trips in the 918 with luggage, lightly packed, but don't think it will be possible with the AMG ONE. 

I appreciate engineering, details, bespoke-ness. The AMG ONE checked those boxes. Not easy to adapt a F1 race engine for road use but they did it. 

Same way I appreciate Swiss made mechanical watches with their own in-house movements, engineering. But that's not an inclusive statement, A. Lange & Sohne is German but they also make fantastic watches and movements. 

--

If they would of used a glorious 3.0L NA V10 Formula One engine then I would agree, but using a current lawnmower 1.6L Turbo F1 engine is pointless, that woke F1 rules engine adds nothing to the car (performance, sound, character, etc) just technological complexity for the sake of it, for me that has little interest. 

Carlos from Spain:

If they would of used a glorious 3.0L NA V10 Formula One engine then I would agree, but using a current lawnmower 1.6L Turbo F1 engine is pointless, that woke F1 rules engine adds nothing to the car (performance, sound, character, etc) just technological complexity for the sake of it, for me that has little interest. 

Yes, they decided to implement the saddest time of F1 into road going car, which is wrong in my view…

But seeing GT3 RS with only 525hp being faster in every corner, compared to this “project “ is even funnier 

Carlos from Spain:

I can certainly understand you side. V10, V12, V8, all those are valid historic F1 engines worthy to be relaunched. 

I am coming from the other side, I am a firm believer in hybrids. Used properly they are amazing, and Porsche has done a top notched job in doing so. It has the best of both worlds, normal engines and pure electric. 

One look at the LMP1 cars, the 919, and the benefits of hybrid is clear as daylight. The rear tires can only lay down so much rubber on corner exit, but when they added the electric power to the front axles, corner exits are like explosive acceleration towards the next corner. Even with added weight the car is just that much faster. That's call positive performance benefits.

--

I fully agree regarding performance hybrids, the combination of ICE aided by EV produces something even better than the sum of its parts wink

It reminds me more and more of the house named ‘the One’ on the west coast.  I’m sorry to say this but if they had gone with either gas or electric alone it would have been better.  To even compare this to the awesome 918 just makes all of us want the 918 more. 

--

22 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 18 GT3 Manual, 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/22406880/shocking-pictures-mercedes-f1-burnt-flames/

Guess Mercedes has installed a self-destruct mechanism in the AMG ONE. 

--

Everyone's insurance premiums just went up a little

DJM48:

Everyone's insurance premiums just went up a little

Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691051 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410173 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256222 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235417 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65746 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858820 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775122 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM