Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Misc thoughts on my Nardo trip

Over the weekend I was participating on a Nardo trip with Porsche. Starts from flying into Napoli, and being transferred to Positano. Drove by the gigantic Vesuvius, my first time there, it dwarfs everything around it, my god it's big. Pompeii is supposed to be about 25kms away but man from Pompeii, the volcano literally looks like it's right there. 

Stayed at Saint Pietro Positano for a couple nights, the day after arrival we spent the whole day driving in the mountains to the East, and then back. in and out of Positano is hell on earth, super narrow roads and loads of traffic, but once out of the peninsula it opens up nicely, and the mountain roads are practically empty. Heaven.

After two nights we head off to the Adriatic coast. heel of Italy. Stooping off at a small town called Castelmezzano for lunch and some photo ops. What a fantastic drive up the mountain to get there! The mayor opened up their central plaza for us to park the whole Porsche convoy. 

Our next hotel stay was at the Masseria Torre Maizza in a small town called Savelletri. Another lovely hotel. It was picked because it's the closest 'nice' hotel near Nardo. Close means 85mins drive. 

Nardo is one of those bucket list places. We drove both the ring high speed track and also the 6.2km test track. Both in our 911 turbo Ss. Nardo sent over 3 of their test drivers to be our lead drivers as on their ground it's their protocol to be followed. The location is impossibly big. 4km diameter for the test track. 12.6km length. Officially there is a 260km/hr speed limit for the outer most lane and Italian traffic laws are supposed to be observed, but we all drove like Italians on the highway. 

Between sessions at the high speed circuit and the handling track, we had to drive through the workshop area, and that's where all the prototypes are located. A few manufacturers have contracts to be around permanently so they branded their own building, Mercedes, Lamborghini, Aston Martin to name a few. Aston Martin even maintain their own fuel supply with pumps right outside their building. Others are more discrete and without branding on the building but their cars are seen parked outside, Ford is one, BMW is another, Ferrari and Audi also. Goodyear and Pirelli also maintain their presence there. Highspeed EV chargers are dotted everywhere. Porsche has installed 4 at the pit area for the handling track so they can keep pounding out laps after laps without the need to head back to the workshop area. On weekends they booked exclusive use of tracks and do 37 hours straight testings, either on the high speed ring or the handling or both. Test drivers are only allowed 1hour of continuous driving per session so many are on hand for the rotation. Weekdays are 'open track days' unless someone booked an exclusive session. So at any given time during open track time one could see all makes mixing it up on the tracks. 

Most of the garage doors are closed so can't quite see what's hiding, but some cars are parked outdoor and there was a Urus, some C class, S class, GLC, GLE, Ford Mustangs, couple variants of Aventadors, a DBX, a what seems like a variant of the DB11. The mentioned convertible Roma. some Audi SUVs, one that looks like a RS6, some more SUVs that's too far away for me to make out what they are. 

Nardo maintains their own test drivers that does the testings, but manufacturers also do supply their own. One of our Porsche tour guides actually does work at Nardo but this time around he maintained his attachment with the tour and let the Nardo personal takes over. 

The handling circuit is a bitch to drive around, it's unforgiving and VERY VERY technical. On/Off camber corners, increasing/degreasing radius, blind 'jumps', you name it it's there. It's tiring for me to even do 30 mins sessions and the test drivers do it in 1 hour sessions for 37 hours. 

All Porsche prototypes gets their share of pounding here for months and at Weissach also before they even get to be released into the wild for real roads testing. Mad respect for the quality standard Porsche keep for their cars. 

While I was there, 992.2s are getting their testing done, a couple 992.2 GT3 are also on hand, the one and only EV Boxster prototype is there also, EV Macans, a few Taycans and a hot version of a Panamera with full roll cage is getting worked on inside one of the bays. Every car there is a prototype, no production cars around. 

992.2 will be electrified, but mild hybrid, not plug-in, possibly not all will get the treatment. For those that already have the 992 GT3, start planning to sell, a better one is coming. That thing looks lightning quick on track!

After we were done at the handling track at 5pm, Porsche booked the rest of the daylight hours for them to do the poundings, so a fleet of prototypes streamed towards it while we took a tour of the old control tower. Even with it so high up, we still can't quite see the whole ring. There is a big 'screen' with a few rings of circular dots for each of the lanes, and when a car passes each section a light would come on for monitoring. Old CRT monitors are also around, it's like a 50s nuclear control centre. But the tower is not in use anymore, modern technology means the tower is outdated now. 

What an experience, it ranked right up there with a visit to Weissach. Difference being Nardo isn't exclusively Porsche, other makes are there for us to see, well glimpse. 

Man, doesn't matter how one wants to trash a 911 turbo S as 'too heavy' or whatnots, but there is no getting around the fact that it is the greatest all around sports car. It is right at home pounding miles on the highway, and at the hills in the Italian mountains or the Alps, wet or dry, or at circuits, either handling or high speed. 

Obvious no pics inside the facility, I will go through some pics to see if they are fit for posting, for privacy purposes faces of others can't be shown and there are lots of pics with faces😂

--

Re: Misc thoughts on my Nardo trip

Hear about this Porsche Taycan development? https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/porsche/taycan/359058/new-2023-porsche-taycan-facelift-spotted-testing  Allegedly Porsche is preparing a trip-motor variant to take on the Tesla Model S Plaid for the 'Ring record.  

Porsche already owns that record. 

That particular car isn't spotted at Nardo, could be in one of the closed door garage or returned to Weissach already. Any prototype Porsche makes, it runs both Nardo and Weissach for testing. 

It's just the 'reserve' sitting in the back room, letting Tesla know that if they try for the record again, it won't be long until it is taken away again. Would be a waste of effort by Tesla. Not unlike America's nuclear arsenal. Russia can try but they will never win.

--

Loved Positano when we visited earlier in the year - Capri is a special place as is Ravello. Lovely part of the world. 

--

991.2 C2S Cab, X3 Black\Black - 2 kids, 1 dog

Nick I appreciate the informative report. Is your trip similar to Porsche's Passion drive event? Great experience.kiss

--

The purpose of life is to enjoy the moment.

nberry:

Nick I appreciate the informative report. Is your trip similar to Porsche's Passion drive event? Great experience.kiss

Like that recent story in Christophorus? Yes it is very similar. I believed we did that exact route before with Spyder Circle in turbo Ss.

Passion Drive, and the regular Porsche Travel Experience, are less 'intense',  they are more 'mainstream' for a lack of a better word to describe. Suitable for all. 

My events are ran by the Porsche Circle, previously 918 Spyder Circle. We get the top billing guests and guides and more luxurious hotels and dining, also more expensive. Our drives are a bit more spirited. Vehicles provided will be at least turbo S. There was times when it was GT2RS. 

Think I mentioned before to you, I had contacted Porsche AG to contact PCNA and then in turn your dealer to extend an invite to you to join Porsche Circle, as it is open to all GT owners. Dealers are suppose to send in their candidates for invites quite while ago when the program was rebranded last year. You being a multiple GT car owner certainly qualifies. 

--

Great content to read. Thank you!

"Man, doesn't matter how one wants to trash a 911 turbo S as 'too heavy' or whatnots, but there is no getting around the fact that it is the greatest all around sports car. It is right at home pounding miles on the highway, and at the hills in the Italian mountains or the Alps, wet or dry, or at circuits, either handling or high speed. "

Agreed, I've never been so surprised by a car -- the turbo S just rocks on all dimensions; I wish it was a small as a 997 GT2 but those days are over.  And with winter tyres in wet mode, I bet it out Lusso's the GTC4 Lusso in winter.  It would be fun to go back to the White Mountains to hammer mountain corners with Cup2's for comparo --  not that I would ever run them -- I take them off every car.

IMG_5367.jpeg

I did tried before to replace a turbo S with an FF. On paper seems like a match but in the end, turbo S wins. It's the precision that's lacking in the Ferrari.

And that's one mean TRX!!

My Lightning had just been PDI, I should be picking it up next week. Also my GT4RS just completed production last week and I should have it around Christmas. 

--

Whoopsy:

I did tried before to replace a turbo S with an FF. On paper seems like a match but in the end, turbo S wins. It's the precision that's lacking in the Ferrari.

My Lightning had just been PDI, I should be picking it up next week. Also my GT4RS just completed production last week and I should have it around Christmas. 

Agee -Turbo S is unrivalled.  I had been without one for far too long so ordered a PTS one which is continually being delayed Smiley.

Has anyone sampled a 992 Turbo S with the lightweight package?  The reports tend towards it being an all-weather GT2.  On a separate topic, we are seeing more and more EVs on the local roads with the other marques starting to rival the count of Teslas.  This morning it was a Mercedes EQS, Ford Mustang Mach E, Audi e-tron GT to one Tesla Model 3.

The 80lbs difference mainly comes from swapping the 18-way to buckets. The thinner glass is a liability as they crack very easily. Rear seat delete only saves a limited amount of weight and the only useful item on that option list is the additional 10mm drop in ride height, which really don't amount to much. 

A turbo S with buckets just simply look stupid, some might just option back the 18-way and negates the weight savings. 

Porsche's buckets aren't as practical and comfortable as Ferrari's. Porsche needs to design a new style bucket, or at least an intermediate bucket to be use in that application.

A standard turbo S has 650PS, one will NOT notice a difference of 80lbs unless under extreme track conditions. 

--

crayphile:
    Whoopsy:

Agee -Turbo S is unrivalled.  I had been without one for far too long so ordered a PTS one which is continually being delayed Smiley.

Makes me wonder what colour you have decided on. 

Some kind of green?

--

Whoopsy:
    crayphile:
    Whoopsy:

Makes me wonder what colour you have decided on. 

Some kind of green?

Everyone has gone nuts for green. I understand,but it’s been overdone. I have gone for Geyser Grey with Heritage interior.

That was the showcase colour on the 50th anniversary model if I remember correctly? Lovely colour before chalk took over for a while. 

--

Whoopsy:

The 80lbs difference mainly comes from swapping the 18-way to buckets. The thinner glass is a liability as they crack very easily. Rear seat delete only saves a limited amount of weight and the only useful item on that option list is the additional 10mm drop in ride height, which really don't amount to much. 

A turbo S with buckets just simply look stupid, some might just option back the 18-way and negates the weight savings. 

Porsche's buckets aren't as practical and comfortable as Ferrari's. Porsche needs to design a new style bucket, or at least an intermediate bucket to be use in that application.

A standard turbo S has 650PS, one will NOT notice a difference of 80lbs unless under extreme track conditions. 

given my fusion L5-C2, I decided not to  chase a lightweight, my long run of racing seats may be over -mostly for ingress/egress; the 18 ways were very comfie for 2,000 high speed miles.  

and Nick is so right, Ferrari racing seats are the best, especially with no lift in the Scud/Strad era.  PORSCHE'S  old ROW buckets were great, and the old RECAROS.kiss

ONE DEFECT ---- BEWAREangry

tumblr_otr3spCTT81sa987co1_1280.jpeg

watt:
    Whoopsy:

given my fusion L5-C2, I decided not to  chase a lightweight, my long run of racing seats may be over -mostly for ingress/egress; the 18 ways were very comfie for 2,000 high speed miles.  

and Nick is so right, Ferrari racing seats are the best, especially with no lift in the Scud/Strad era.  PORSCHE'S  old ROW buckets were great, and the old RECAROS.kiss

Wait, that's like pretty much the whole thingSmiley

Porsche's 18-way is the most versatile and comfortable seat there are, just like the turbo S is the most versatile sports car. 

--

Yup, my only flexible level is C2-C1, so I'm DO NOT RESUSCITATE. henceforth.   Thank God, my surgeon, my PT guys, and the Wound dept for keeping me verticalkisswink A happy product of civilisation.

Might put winters on the turbo S, and use that 4wdcool

So chubby, yet so lithe in handlingkiss

IMG_5320 2.jpeg

Winters on a tubro S.....Yes. It's a fantastic winter car. I always had winters on all my turbo Ss and drive them year round. 

I would used the word fat over chubby lol. Even when fat it's still very athletic. it's like watching a 300lb stripper do impossible pole moves with easy. 

--

Whoopsy:

I would used the word fat over chubby lol. Even when fat it's still very athletic. it's like watching a 300lb stripper do impossible pole moves with easy. 

I'm sorry but in this scenario all the merit goes to that poor pole rather than the 300lb stripper indecision

Whoopsy:

Winters on a tubro S.....Yes. It's a fantastic winter car. I always had winters on all my turbo Ss and drive them year round. 

HaHa Nick,

Your life experiences loom clear from the fogSmileySmiley  But point well taken; that ass is..... fat.

IMG_2102.JPG

And my gigantic vehicle has arrived 

Just took delivery over the weekend. So surprised I am getting this before my GT4RS. But not really after the production delay with Porsche and some side shuffling of my order with Ford. 

This is the full fat Platinum top trim, came to over CAD$112k plus tax. 

First thought when getting in, holy this thing is BIG. Extremely roomy inside. Second thought, I look around the interior and like yeah, this looks like a 100k. While a lot of the interior is plastic, Ford went to great length to use many different kind and with different texture, that's not a cost saving move. A glance at the door and there is like 6-7 different texture and materials used. Same with the dash. Fit and finish is top notch and so is the materials used. They didn't cheap out that's for sure. 

I thought the Mach E seats were good, seats in this truck tops it even more. So comfortable. 

It's wide, it's long, definitely not for European roads, but over there in North American, it's feels like home. 

No idea on the range yet, I need to use up the whole tank first a couple times to calibrate the battery management system in order to get a good picture, but since it's electric, I really don't care as I know it's more than good enough. 

--

Is it 100% electric ? 

Yes, all electric. Has like a 131kWh battery.

--

No electric pick up  around here for the moment. Not that were are a country that has many anyway.  That thing must be as heavy as a small proper truck . Will be interesting to read your comments about the driving. 

That sucker is like 6500lbs haha

But it's also because of that weight, it soaked up most bumps effortlessly. Takes a lot of force to raise them. Another reason why Rolls Royces rides so well, they are heavy.

Nowhere near a sports car or a or sports sedan in handling, but that's not the point. It's just a comfortable ride. And with seating so high up, I can see far away. 

A 911 turbo S is a great highway cruiser, same with a Panamera in different way. This is also one in a completely different way. I can safely say it feels more like a Phantom, less luxurious of course but the ride is ver similar. 

With wide roads here even in town, it's easy to drive around as visibility is awesome. I however wouldn't want to drive it in Europe. Maybe a midsize truck like a Rivian perhaps. The thing is over 2m wide before counting mirrors. Including them it is 2.44m wide. It's almost 6m long even. 

--

Impressive!

Vehicles are gettin heavier and heavier, which partly explains the state of roads in certain parts. Especially the ripples in the pavement at intersections.

You are a good seller, turning the Ford into an RR Smiley

It would never even fit on our parking lots. Standard is 5 m long. 

Haha like I said, these full size pickups are a North American thing. Would never work in Europe. 

But I mean size wise, it's pretty much the same as a Phantom But weights another 1000lbs more. 

It doesn't have champagne fridge inside nor hand polished wood however. And the leather used is a few grades down. That's where Ford saved money lol. 

But man, do I love this truck! If I were to drive a Phantom, I would always looks like I am on my way to pick up my boss, no such issue in the truck. 

And since it's charged from the wall, I don't even have to worry about fuel cost. Doesn't even matter if the truck isn't efficient at all compared to any other EVs, it's a moot point if I charge it every night at home, I begin the day with a full charge. Heck, I think it's eating up 50% more juice than the Taycan. 

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    760920 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434505 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260086 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257214 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80792 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5311 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871414 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806633 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM