Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

my 987S list of options...

any suggestions are wellcome : )

Boxster S
    Arctic Silver Metallic
    Cabriolet roof in Black
    Black Standard Leather
    Rain Sensor / Dimming Mirrors
    Bi-Xenon lighting system with washers
    Tiptronic S
    Stainless steel tailpipe, chrome-plated
    Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)
    Sport Chrono Package
    Wheels
    18 inch Boxster S wheel
    Wheel caps with full-color Porsche crest
    Heated seats
    BOSE(R) Surround Sound System with wind deflector
    Remote six disc CD autochanger

what do you guys think?

Re: my 987S list of options...

I would ditch the Sport Chrono - I would guess you probably won't use it after a while. Especially for town driving.

Otherwise good!

Quote:
    Malmsteen said:
    any suggestions are wellcome : )

Boxster S

...Wheels...

what do you guys think?

I'm happy for you that your car WILL have Wheels...
    HeHe..., only kidding !!

VERY NICE Spec Malmsteen, Congrats

Lovely spec, congrats, I really like (minority) the sports chrono, but have read elswhere on this forum that tiptronic is a waste unless you really need it, the six speed on the S is for driving.

Tip might be better for cruising town. Manual isn't as happy at stop-start slow-speed stuff, so I can see Malmsteen's reason for this.

I'm not dissing the sport chrono - I know some like it, some don't. I just think that Malmsteen won't get the benefit of it much if most of his driving will be cruising in town.

What about the steering wheel? The standard one has a triangular centre. Sports is round in the centre. I think the round centre suits the car more.

Yea your right, just saw other post where it is all town cruising, test drove the S & found 4th gear a bit crunchy, though I think it frees up.
    Have the round sports in my 2.7 & think it finishes off car nicely, matches the vents.

Yeah, I've crunched 4th a few times - It seems to be a bit more 'on the edge' than the others, don't know why. Very easy to make embarrasing noises if you're tired and not decisive enough with it. I've got just over 1000 on the clock now, and the gearbox is loosening up a bit.

I've had the same with 4th gear when I first got the car. I'm not sure whether it's me getting used to it or the gearbox loosening up, but I never crunch now and the change quality is superb.

Pretty nice spec.....if it were me though...(and its not)...

I'd dump the Sport Chrono and put the money into one of the full leather options....maybe the Cocoa Brown, Terracotta, or even Sea Blue (looks very nice in a silver car). Silver on black is classic.....but so over done now. The silver with one of the other color leathers really makes a special car IMO. Change tops accordingly of course.

Totally agree. I don't see any advantage of sport chrono if you are not a fast driver. On the Boxster I don't see any point of having it anyway, although more useful with tiptronic. No where near as beneficial as it is on the 997 (I've driven both with sport chrono). Then there is that awful wart sat on top of the dash. Yuk. Full leather is well worth having. Improves the ambience and quality look, feel and smell of the interior incredibly.

thanks for the replies guys...

so there wont be a big difference having a sport chrono?? on the throttle response..etc..just want to make sure if it is really not that useful i will just dump it

and also about the soft top.. does the light colour of the stop top get dirty easily??
    because i want to get a colour also match the interior

also i read some previous posts on the forum that with 18" wheels without PASM is almost the same ride feel with the 19" with PASM??
    if thats so.. my 18" with PASM maybe a waste?

Try the sport chrono, but I don't think you'll notice the loss unless you're gonna race between the lights. I'd go with the extra leather instead, though with the black it isn't as big an issue. If I was going for black interior, I'd probably just get the instrument binacle leather covered, the sides of the front centre console either side of the stereo), and the rear part of the centre console, and possibly a decent leather covered steering wheel. I've got leather rear centre console in addition to full leather, and I think it makes the car. But different people have different likes. I must admit I can't remember what stuff comes leather covered as standard on the S. I have to say I'd at least get the bit by the stereo done in leather.

The roof is probably going to show dirt the same whatever colour you get. I'd get black to match the interior - you have to think about what it's going to look like with the hood down.

But it's your car! Choosing the specs is one of the fun things.

You may well be OK with 18's and no PASM. PASM doesn't just mean softer ride though - it's active, and comes into play when braking and accellerating, and turning suddenly as well. Depends on the roads you drive as to whether this would be useful to you. If they are rough and twisty, PASM might be a good idea.

just a stupid question here i am thinking of..

if i just got 19" S wheels and without PASM

is it going to be very bad ride(on rough and twisty roads..etc)...

I don't know. A lot of people say it's fine, but you'd have to decide for yourself really! Sorry. I think RichC has 19s without PASM. Perhaps he could comment.

I'd just stick with 18"s and no PASM. 99 out of 100 drivers wouldn't even be able to out drive this combination, especially on the street. If I'd have more money to spend I'd go with the 19"s. PASM isn't that high on my list. Driven a couple examples and came away with what a lot of other people are saying.....too soft and too hard. I'd spruce up the interior and wheels with PASM money.

I've said this before, but if you are buying a sports car then anything that adds to the driving experience has to have priority over cosmetic items. Then, if there is any money left in your budget add luxury / cosmetic items. I still believe PASM is brilliant, the lack of body movement (the car's ) combined with comfort is worth every cent. If I am ever fortunate enough to have another Porsche (unlikely ) I would spec it again, no hesitation. And MikeN, PASM money won't provide full leather, let alone 19" wheels (which cost the same as PASM on their own). Or more than PASM if you want Sport Design or Carrera Classics.

dreamcar i understand your point that driving experience should be come in the first place...

but then a Boxster S is already a very good sport car without PASM right?...hmm

i think i will add Cocoa special leather interior and 19"s then no PASM.. how about that?

Options look great, but I'd opt for the 6-speed as well, over the TIP

If you want the tip, I'd keep the sport chrono. If you can drive a standard, I don't see the point of the sport chrono on the 987.

mcdelaug

thanks for the feedbacks again...

i am also wondering do most owners always get a interior colour match to the soft top??..

i want to have a cocoa soft top but black interior...because is too red/brown to me if the whole interior goes cocoa as well.. but i like the look of cocoa soft top withe silver on the outside look of the car..
    any tips?

You're most welcome. I don't think you have to match the roof to the inside, as long as it doesn't clash. The roof has to be in tune with the interior AND exterior. Cocoa roof should be fine with black interior. You might like to consider which silver you go for, as some have more of a warmer tint than others. I think GT Silver is the warmest (?) but that is also more expensive. I think arctic silver is the most neutral. It's really hard to judge, and the showroom swatches are often no help at all. Try to find a real car with your intended colour combination, and look at it in showroom and outdoor light (sun and cloud if possible).

yea..GT silver matches the cocoa softtop very well...
    but $$$$$$$$$$$

but then i think it should be just fine with artic silver...

Arctic with cocoa wouldn't be my choice but colour is a personal thing. (I don't happen to like cocoa). If your dealer is good he will steer you away from any colour combinations that might affect resale adversely.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Arctic with cocoa wouldn't be my choice but colour is a personal thing. (I don't happen to like cocoa). If your dealer is good he will steer you away from any colour combinations that might affect resale adversely.

Artic and Cocoa is a great combination. GT Silver is even better if you can afford it, but I can't even see the justification for any paint being $3k. If you go into buying a Porsche having resale value at the top of your list, your looking at it all wrong IMO. Just don't get anything too crazy, keep the miles reasonable, and above all keep it in great shape with all records.....and it will sell in the future if you come to that point. Here is Artic Silver with Cocoa.....even better with the center column painted Artic also......

yea...
    well is actually $4290 for the paint here

i was refering to the Cocoa Soft top only.. not the interior..
    too red to me...

talking about resale it.. just wondering when will you guys want to sell(or trade in for another new porsche) your boxster?.. after how long..etc?

Personally, I'm going to use the car just like a normal car (as far as I can, anyway). I'm not going to watch the mileage. It's not going to be a garage queen. I'm just going to enjoy myself. I'm probably looking at keeping it for 3 or 4 years until I need to start thinking about a more practical family car. Even then, it's odds on that I'll keep it.

I know that the mileage is going to adversely affect the value, but I didn't buy the car as an investment. I bought it to drive.

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    I didn't buy the car as an investment. I bought it to drive.

"Hear, hear!!" says the bloke who's just bought another car 'cos 100+ miles a day was a bit too much to be putting on the Boxster - ho, hum - do as I say, not as I do!!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764976 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436955 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261263 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258118 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82715 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877262 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809444 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM