Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 505hp corvette Z06 priced the same than cayman s

You have any estimate for qtr mile or 0-120 with those mods?

ahhh those old motors are beautiful

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    You have any estimate for qtr mile or 0-120 with those mods?

No, I'm just hoping to turn some fast laps at the tight road courses we have around here...

I dont think you will have any problem doing that!

Your car has a very impressive set up. I asked about the acceleration because I suffer from TA ..throttle addiction.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    I dont think you will have any problem doing that!

Your car has a very impressive set up. I asked about the acceleration because I suffer from TA ..throttle addiction.

Thanks for the kind words - yes I understand the struggle with TA also. Gotta love MFI - I think it's the cure (or at least the fix) - fantastic responsiveness when everything is tuned properly

Quote:
    M5er said:
    The Cayman, regardless of engine will easssssssily outhandle the Z06, I PROMISE this to anyone who thinks otherwise... Other than that it's kind of hard to make a valid comparison between these cars, the Cayman is just so much more special than the Vette in terms of design, build, engineering, etc.

Baloney -- you clearly haven't read up on this C6 Z06. The motor is hand built with this car and the chassis is hydroformed -- yards beyond the normal C6 Vette. Look at some of the available information on the car before you continue to critiscize. The Z06 will also be built in much smaller quantities -- it will be "more special" than the Cayman in every single regard, including exclusivity.

Sorry pal, but there's no ground to defend the Cayman on here. If you don't want a powerful car and you just want a car that handles (roadster), a Boxster will always be a better roadster than the Cayman since it lacks a top -- and still weighs less than the Cayman. I am very confused as to what Porsche is doing here...backwards marketing...

Quote:
    syf0n said:
    Quote:
    M5er said:
    The Cayman, regardless of engine will easssssssily outhandle the Z06, I PROMISE this to anyone who thinks otherwise... Other than that it's kind of hard to make a valid comparison between these cars, the Cayman is just so much more special than the Vette in terms of design, build, engineering, etc.

Baloney -- you clearly haven't read up on this C6 Z06. The motor is hand built with this car and the chassis is hydroformed -- yards beyond the normal C6 Vette. Look at some of the available information on the car before you continue to critiscize. The Z06 will also be built in much smaller quantities -- it will be "more special" than the Cayman in every single regard, including exclusivity.

Sorry pal, but there's no ground to defend the Cayman on here. If you don't want a powerful car and you just want a car that handles (roadster), a Boxster will always be a better roadster than the Cayman since it lacks a top -- and still weighs less than the Cayman. I am very confused as to what Porsche is doing here...backwards marketing...

I still don't know why there is so much debate to this subject.....the new Z06 will be an awesome car and will most likely rip a Cayman to shreds in all areas.....both street and track.

So does this mean its a better car?....no, not at all. I have driven many vettes including several of the last itteration of the Z06 and *still* don't like to drive them
    compared to any Porsche....well except the Cayenne. If someone was to give me a free Vette or a Boxster....I'd take the Boxster hands down.....I like the looks and feel of it better......and I don't care if the vette is faster, handles better, brakes faster, etc......I just don't like it as a "whole", and I would never own one. That's my personal choice.

As far as what a "powerful" car is....that's truly subjective. I consider my 928GT to be a very powerful car....even though it has "just" 326HP. It still rips to
    60 in the low 5 second range and will hit 170 without a problem. I could supercharge it and get 12 second quarters if I wanted to.....but why?....there will always be someone faster....I simply don't care that much about total speed.

The Cayman will be a powerful car....maybe not the biggest and baddest out there, but in my mind I will probably still like to drive it more than any Vette out there, and that's all that matters.

you know what's funny, is that you obviously haven't read my second post

I'll reply to myself, but this whole comparison is "baloney" - lol, the only thing in common these two cars share is their price point.

I read all your posts, and they're all equally irritating because you don't know what you're talking about. You started off with some rash generalizations, then claimed to be kidding when you were called out. You then went on to make even more generalizations which made it even clearer that you don't know what you're talking about. You are now writing off the comparison entirely in a cloud of confusion, because you've become aware of the fact that...hey, you don't know what you're talking about.

For what it's worth, I still prefer the Porsche -- the overall feel has always impressed me.

Quote:
    syf0n said:
    I read all your posts, and they're all equally irritating because you don't know what you're talking about. You started off with some rash generalizations, then claimed to be kidding when you were called out. You then went on to make even more generalizations which made it even clearer that you don't know what you're talking about. You are now writing off the comparison entirely in a cloud of confusion, because you've become aware of the fact that...hey, you don't know what you're talking about.

For what it's worth, I still prefer the Porsche -- the overall feel has always impressed me.

I agree

Quote:
    bluelines said:
    Quote:
    syf0n said:

I agree

Yayy! I've made even more forum enemies! Agree, disagree, I know all I need to know to know which car I myself prefer, try not reading into things so deeply, but then again you could be just another miserable soul who likes nothing but drama and craves attention And what do I need to defend myself for on some internet forum? Get over yourself

Sorry mate, I agree to prefering the Porsche - the rest are personal opinions which I make no comment on

Quote:
    M5er said:
    Yayy! I've made even more forum enemies!

No, you have not, M5er. People can agree and/or disagree without becoming enemies. Take a tip from CarlosfromSpain and nberry.

Quote:
    MAVERICK said:
    Quote:
    M5er said:
    Yayy! I've made even more forum enemies!

No, you have not, M5er. People can agree and/or disagree without becoming enemies. Take a tip from CarlosfromSpain and nberry.

True enough

Wow! I was only gone three days and this turned into quite the thread!

Clearly there is a pro-Porsche bias at Rennteam (well duh!). But I would encourage all of you to look carefully at the Corvette in the next lane this fall, whether on the street or the track. If it's the Z06, and your Porsche product is normally aspirated and isn't the CGT, you have a good chance at being embarassed if you start anything. When car shopping I have avoided the Corvette because it is a little too "imprecise" for me in terms of its handling, its appearance, its build quality, etc. And while the Z06 won't address all of these issues, it will be (like it or not) a better performing car than any 997 or 987 in production right now. Clearly a Porsche is more than just some performance numbers on a magazine's comparison chart. If it weren't I wouldn't be paying $60K for a 280hp car. But the objective facts are these: the Z06 will be faster than any new Porsche you can buy for less than $100K. So just accept that part of what you're buying into is the subjective "essence" of Porsche, whether its the prestige, or the styling, or the handling feel, or whatever. Does that make you a "poser", "poseur" (or "poseuse")?. Does it matter? I ordered a 987S because it made the most serotonin for me, and since I can't change how my brain is wired, I had to go with the car that doesn't have 505hp. For me a Porsche requires no further justification than how it makes you FEEL, making all other arguments superfluous.

Well, the Memorial Day holiday is over, back to work everyone!

mcdelaug

I think for Europeans, the Z06 is a different story...and almost a non-debate...
    1st, the price advantage is not so obvious, it's quite expensive here.
    2nd, the fuel usage vs. price of fuel.

Quote:
    Jeannot said:

The Corvette's big motor and big power intutively translate into big fuel usage but that's not actually the case. The Corvette's pushrod engine design produces that big power at a relatively low rpm and fuel consumption compares favorably with German hardware. For example, the EPA city/hwy mpg rating for the Corvette Z51 is 19/28 while the 911 Carrera is 18/26.

Not that I would buy a Corvette , but the performance really is outstanding in so many ways.

Let's just be curious how both cars will appear on the real road - the Vette Z06 is supposed to cost about 90k Euros in Europe, so there is a price difference to the Cayman.

The Boxster's handling is already impressive and the Cayman's, as well as its engine performance, will even be considerably beyond that. In terms of dynamics this car should not be any slower than the std. 997 Carrera.

I am very curious how the Z06 will appear, I am going to check out one in the next time at my dealer. They definately made a huge step forward but if it would be enough to buy one..?

Quote:
    GM Austin said:
    Quote:
    Jeannot said:

The Corvette's big motor and big power intutively translate into big fuel usage but that's not actually the case. The Corvette's pushrod engine design produces that big power at a relatively low rpm and fuel consumption compares favorably with German hardware. For example, the EPA city/hwy mpg rating for the Corvette Z51 is 19/28 while the 911 Carrera is 18/26.

Not that I would buy a Corvette , but the performance really is outstanding in so many ways.

Indeed, but I suspect these EPA ratings correspond to stabilized driving speed...and not to the way people on this forum drive
    In sporty drive, I suspect the Vette just EATS gas like crazy...
    In any case, we also pay road taxes (most European countries) based on engine's displacement...
    So all in all, you'd really have to WANT a Vette to own one here, and this is why we don't see many.

Yeah GM Austin,

Don;t be fooled by the EPA ratings. The Z06 will eat gas like no Porsche ever would. That pushrod engine is not that efficient. Think about it. What GM needs to produce 500hp ie 7L, other companies do it in 5L or less.

And Syfon, you mentioned "hydro-formed" frame. So what. Yes the car will be stiffer than previous Corvettes, but my old Denali also had a hydroformed frame and it is was an absolute "noodle" compared to my Range Rover. American's love to brand with these stupid names, b/c their cars in the past have been such s*it. The fact of the matter remains that this is GM's flagship vehicle. Of course it would beat any of Porsches normal models. The reason they price it so low is b/c who in their right mind would spend 600$K on a Corvette when that same money will buy you a Ferrari?

So when their marketing campaign revolves around the fact that it has 500HP and will beat most cars priced higher, what they are REALLY saying is "We admit we could never get anyone to buy this car (or any American car for that reason) if it was priced over $100K.

Quote:
    Indeed, but I suspect these EPA ratings correspond to stabilized driving speed...and not to the way people on this forum drive
    In sporty drive, I suspect the Vette just EATS gas like crazy...

In recent Car & Driver testing, those lead-foots observed 15 mpg for both the Z51 and the 997S.

That road tax seems oppressive and I agree with your outrage but, on the flip side, the US government has done very little to encourage fuel effeciency or conservation of energy, so ...

Quote:
    GM Austin said:
    That road tax seems oppressive and I agree with your outrage but, on the flip side, the US government has done very little to encourage fuel effeciency or conservation of energy, so ...

Yeah, it is so bad in certain countries (Portugal for instance) that you even use to see BMW 518is.
    In Belgium, Boxsters are detuned to fall in a lower tax bracket...
    Etc etc...

Quote:
    Jeannot said:
    Quote:
    GM Austin said:

Yeah, it is so bad in certain countries (Portugal for instance) that you even use to see BMW 518is.
    In Belgium, Boxsters are detuned to fall in a lower tax bracket...
    Etc etc...

this remembers the 1990cc V8s buildt by Ferrari 20 years ago for italian tax-reasons...

Quote:
    M5er said:

the Z06 is the special one - not the hard top boxster w/ the 2000-2001 911 motor. it's not at all unlikely i'll get a Z06 for cheap track pounding (of all pcars save for the CGT which is 6 1/2 X more $), but it's very unlikely i'll get the cayman for any reason - especially that one.

Quote:
    GM Austin said:

We have something similar, which is the registration fees you have to pay every year on your car. This registration fee is based on the value of your car. So, someone would pay significantly more if they owned a Porsche than would pay on a Honda Civic. This is especially true in California. I don't know about the other states. I always joke that to the DMV, it doesn't cost them anymore to register my Porsche than my wife's Honda. Same amount of paperwork for them. Oh, well, just another way to extract more money. Thankfully, our Gov, Arnold, brought down these fees to something more practical.

Quote:
    GM Austin said:
    the US government has done very little to encourage fuel effeciency or conservation of energy, so ...

I think the price of gas is doing it already, don't ya think? Sales of SUV's down, hybrids up... If the government got involved, they would probably fu__ it up even more for us...

Quote:
    mcdelaug said:

mcdelaug

Sometimes it's difficult to return back to work after a 3-day weekend. Well, not sometimes, all the time. Anyways, nothing like making it easier than to hop on the 997S and to drive to work.

Quote:
    mcdelaug said:

mcdelaug

Hey, we didn't get to celebrate Memorial Day here in Europe!

Can I take tomorrow off please?

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    mcdelaug said:

mcdelaug

Hey, we didn't get to celebrate Memorial Day here in Europe!

Can I take tomorrow off please?

Ummmm, no you'll have to wait for Independence Day (July 4).

mcdelaug

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777072 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441652 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262752 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260919 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85179 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5554 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880624 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815850 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM