Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Dealer told me to put lower octane fuel in my 997...

Ive noticed every time i start the car up after its been sitting for about an hour the car starts up very roughly and idles very roughly until its completely warm. also when i try to give it gas i press on the gas pedal and just about nothing happens. it feels like its being suffocated or something. i really have to floor it get any revs out of it at all and it is extremely difficult to be smooth with it actually impossible. anyways i took it to the dealer and they told me that there is something wrong with my high octane gas from shell. which i thought was completey and utter BS because my BMW 750iL requires premium gas and its been running perfectly on the premium shell gas. im thinking since there is nothing wrong with the gas that logically there is something wrong with my car or its computer or something. maybe its knock controll is not working right causing it stay in a setting suited for lower octane fuel? Anyways, any help would be much appreciated. Has anyone else had this problem? i feel like my dealership is just trying to get out of a costly repair or something.

Re: Dealer told me to put lower octane fuel in my 997...

if there is something wrong mav, your car is still on a warranty i hope(unless you did something aftermarket with the engine)? so it's their job to fix it for free anyway I don't think that's normal, we have pretty crappy fuel quality here in south africa, but my 997 doesn't seem to be doing what yours is doing... i think you should consult your dealer again..

My 997s is idling rough also. Didn't do it when new. Started around 7000 miles. Dealer tech tells me ALL the new 997s run rough. Even when warm. Feedback please. I always use premium petrol and no racing.

I think that your dealer is definitly giving you bad info. But, to disprove their theory, fill it with premium from another station and brand like BP or Mobil. If it's still running roughly, it would very unlikely be the gas from 2 stations.
    There is a unique sound kinda like "popcorn popping" when the engine is 1st started that is related to some form of emission control that has been discussed previously on this board and Rennlist. Yhis sound is normal and goes away as soon as the engine is warm. However, I have never experienced difficulty revving the engine even when 1st started although I usually wait for the engine to warm before really juicing the throttle above 4500 rpm. I've got 4800 miles on it so far.
    Keep nagging your dealer and have them put in writing that the engine is behaving normally. It's good to have a paper trail, just in case...Good luck.

Would mean there is something wrong with engine (IMO) because the engine's is supposed to correct itself for whatever the octane level is for the fuel it's burning.

Dealer should be ashamed to tell you that BS

DO NOT LET THE CAR SIT AND WARM UP

You are just supposed to drive off - no warm up. Maybe that's the issue ? Try that. Maybe the engine is getting clogged up while you let it sit and warm up?

Re: DO NOT LET THE CAR SIT AND WARM UP

B.S.. One of my father's oldest friends lives in Dearborn, MI (retired from Ford), and for kicks and something to do, he works for the company that handles Porsche's press fleet, distributing cars to all of the major magazines and media outlets, etc.. He's the kind of guy that you could toss the keys for a Carrera GT to, and you could trust him 110% with it. He called me just yesterday from Waterford Hills Road Racing Course, where Porsche was holding a track event. He called because there were two Carrera GT's there, one yellow and one silver, and he was going to try to get an opportunity to let me hear one rev through the phone! Unfortunatly, I never heard back from him on that! He also mentioned that he had been chatting with an engineer from Porsche that was there, and was told that the Carrera S was truly on the ragged-edge with 93 octane gas, that 92 octane would hurt performance (the computer's knock sensor would dial back timing), and that 94 octane would actually enhance performance a bit. I told him that 93 is all we have down here, except for 100 octane Cam 2 that costs friggin $5.00/gallon. Anyhow, the message was, don't put cheap 92-octane premium in the car, it likes at least 93 or more. Of course, if you live in higher altitudes, that all changes. I'm in Florida, where a good tidal wave would have us all swimming. Your dealer telling you to use lower-octane gas is absolutely full of sh**. You've got a problem that they need to do a better job of diagnosing. I put Shell 93 in my Carrera S yesterday. It's running like a champ.

Throw in a bottle of techron in there too. Get the real stuff (they have to kinds) and get the big bottle for up to 21 gallons.

Don't throw anything in your car until they fix it. If you add techron, that'll be the next thing they'll play the blame-game with.

I use the Shell premium here. It's only 91 octane in CA. No problems. Switch to another brand and if it's still a problem switch dealers while you're at it

thanks for all the useful info guys! ill be sure to have a "little talk" with the people at the dealer today. well see what happens. i am so damn pissed now that i know that they tried to screw me. oh well. please let me know if you guys find out any more info on this problem. thanks in advance.

If you add techron they'll never know about it.

I tend to read these scenarios too often with regard to P Dealerships giving out BULL , its puts me off with the purchase of my 997S in Jan 06..

Is the after sales service really this bad ??...

throt.

Throt... You have to put things into perspective. Know that most other car dealers lay the B.S. on THREE TIMES AS THICK!!! LOL!!!! Actually, I like my local service department.

I am very surprised at your octane levels!!!
    Here , the lowest is 95 . For sports engine, turbo engines, we use 98 . Now Shell has a 100 octane ( which is more a marketing thing than an actual benefit for most engines)

I believe octane as a number is measured differently in different areas of the world.
    Here in Canada the highest pump grade by number is Sunoco 93.

In any event, anyone suggesting you try a lower number irregardless of how it's measured should be slapped...

Yes, for a "rough" coversion just add 5 points to the US octane and you will get the European equivalent.

I always use 98 octane here.

my fathers, and other 997's ive been in, all seem to have a rough and louder engine noise/action for a little after start up. After just a little bit of time it goes away... ive never noticed it running rough later on when its warm.

mav,

Is it Barrier Porsche in Bellevue? If so who did you deal with? I dealt with them with my 996 and they had very good service and always seemed to know what they were talking about.

Kunal

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    B.S.. One of my father's oldest friends lives in Dearborn, MI (retired from Ford), and for kicks and something to do, he works for the company that handles Porsche's press fleet, distributing cars to all of the major magazines and media outlets, etc.. He's the kind of guy that you could toss the keys for a Carrera GT to, and you could trust him 110% with it. He called me just yesterday from Waterford Hills Road Racing Course, where Porsche was holding a track event. He called because there were two Carrera GT's there, one yellow and one silver, and he was going to try to get an opportunity to let me hear one rev through the phone! Unfortunatly, I never heard back from him on that! He also mentioned that he had been chatting with an engineer from Porsche that was there, and was told that the Carrera S was truly on the ragged-edge with 93 octane gas, that 92 octane would hurt performance (the computer's knock sensor would dial back timing), and that 94 octane would actually enhance performance a bit. I told him that 93 is all we have down here, except for 100 octane Cam 2 that costs friggin $5.00/gallon. Anyhow, the message was, don't put cheap 92-octane premium in the car, it likes at least 93 or more. Of course, if you live in higher altitudes, that all changes. I'm in Florida, where a good tidal wave would have us all swimming. Your dealer telling you to use lower-octane gas is absolutely full of sh**. You've got a problem that they need to do a better job of diagnosing. I put Shell 93 in my Carrera S yesterday. It's running like a champ.

In the west we only have 91 octane. So your theory is not correct. The car was designed to run on at least 91 octane. If it was not, then all the cars in California (Porsche's largest market) would be slower than a Hyundai.

we have 96 octane here, mine to seems to run fine on 3rd world petrol

Quote:
    kunal said:
    mav,

Is it Barrier Porsche in Bellevue? If so who did you deal with? I dealt with them with my 996 and they had very good service and always seemed to know what they were talking about.

Kunal

no, unfortunately it was larson.

Your dealer is BS you, don't let him get away with that. Unless you're using REAL racing fuel with 110 octane or more or some methanol mixture stuff, the Shell VPower stuff is just right. Shell sells VPower 100 octane (I suppose this would translate into 103 octane US) fuel over here in Germany and in Italy (where I am right now on a short family vacation) and it works great with my 997 Carrera S and the Cayenne Turbo. Why do some dealer have to tell customers such BS crap? Unbelievable.

Use the BMW additive

Dont use the watered-down, retail stuff (Techron). Get the stuff made for German cars and approved by BMW engineers: BMW fuel additive. Same stuff but not watered-down like Techron to avoid lawsuits from Hyundai engines.

Re: Use the BMW additive

Actually, there are two types of techron. The watered down type and the full strength type. I always use the full stength kind. The one in the big bottle.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    753332 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430827 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258645 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255501 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79551 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868419 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802025 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM