Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review

Not too many bugs actually. My first one was fine, my second one has a wonky interior monitor sensor that keep giving false alarms but Porsche already has new parts for replacement. 

The infotainment system works well enough. Other than occasional lost of lock on SiriusXM signal. Navi is decent enough, it does work with charging planning and precondition the battery.

But the ace in the hole is Apple CarPlay. It basically takes over and bypass whatever shortcomings for the factory system

18 way seat is a must. the 14-way just isn't up to par. Still not as good as the seats in the Panamera however. Trunk will be smaller than your RS6. Personal choice for 2+2 or 2+3 rear seat. I have had both. 2+2 in my sedan and 2+3 in my Cross Turismo. 

Don't spec InnoDrive, it's just a waste of money. 

Full charge should gives you 250 miles range in the real world comfortably. Don't mind whatever the EPA rating is, that's just a fake number.

Fastest charging EV on level 3 fast charger. For home charging it will go up to 10.4kW per hour, so about 8 hours and change if you go all the way down to 10% and then back to full. Also, don't waste money on the upgraded factory charger, just take the one that comes with the car. And keep it in the bag. Install ANY home charger. Porsche charger is just junk and over priced piece of shit. 

What else you want to know about the Taycan?

--

If you don’t call a transport ship catching fire or several homes a bug then your fine. Lol  Talk about a huge coverup.  But seriously, Whoopsy makes some excellent points.  Home charging is important as mentioned  since that is how you charge the cheapest and most often (99% of the time).  Expect around 44 miles per hour added via home charging if you have a Tesla.  Not certain why miles per hour is not favored since it provides actual numbers to compare  - 8 hours of charging would give you around 350 miles - more if not all highway miles.  The Tesla supercharger network can’t be beat and the speed is evolving constantly. The new version 4 will be capable of up to 350 kW. But like I said, only used if you stray far from home. 

Of course you know of the speed difference between the Plaid and the others  - it is so massive that many Porsche drivers no longer care about anything other than Apple Car play and interior buttons.

Perhaps drive both to decide. For in depth information watch AI day by Tesla on YouTube yesterday. 
    My concern would be old tech depreciating quickly due to repair costs ala 928. 
    Hope you get that I am just playing my ‘Tesla’ fan boy role assigned to me here. It is my duty to keep some of the FUD alive and some at bay now and then around here. I see the Taycan around here all the time and love the looks of it though honestly the Audi appeals to me more looks wise.  Speaking economics the Tesla I bought has been an absolutely crazy bargain. I have added windshield washer fluid and just last week a new set of Pilot Sport tires which last an impossible 40k miles. Imagine a 3 second 0-60 car driven like a mad man for 40 k miles on one set of super soft summer performance tires. That is traction control.  

Here we go again... "assigned" Tesla Fan boy role? the poster precisely mentioned that he doesn't what to read through any Porsche vs Tesla muck AND he asked about the Taycan specifically AND from Taycan owners AND in the Taycan thread... now look at your post, exactly the opposite and instead with the obsessive need to make it about Teslas instead. Face it, you are the one has assigned yourself that role pretty much on your own Leawood, do you not see that?

Carlos, you actually spend time reading his posts on any EV-related thread?  I stopped well over a year ago and post a canned response, which usually triggers another round of postings, which I then avoid, from him. It’s one of the few things predictable in our very chaotic world. 

Just talked to my dealer about a Taycan GTS cross Turismo yesterday.  
    He’s been a dealer for many years and doesn’t BS.He said that most of the bugs he knew about have been fixed. And BTW, I think the GTS Sport Turismo is a fabulous looking car!

CGX car nut:

Carlos, you actually spend time reading his posts on any EV-related thread?  I stopped well over a year ago and post a canned response, which usually triggers another round of postings, which I then avoid, from him. It’s one of the few things predictable in our very chaotic world. 

Carlos is a moderator, so the burden falls on his shoulders to pretty much read everything that gets posted.

Enmanuel:
    CGX car nut:

Carlos is a moderator, so the burden falls on his shoulders to pretty much read everything that gets posted.

We ought to give a him an increase in salary then.  

Did anyone view the most recent Lucid Motors’ Tech Talk on motor design?  https://youtu.be/U7IHZxNC6hc  There’s an interesting comparison between the Lucid electric machine and those from Tesla and Porsche. Lucid’s design is a picture in minimization especially with the differential buried in the output shaft of the machine.   

I think the Cross Turismo is the best looking of the bunch. Great. And guys l would give Leawood a Break. Don’t disagree that a buyer should make an informed decision so why not drive the Porsche back to back vs the Tesla. Do think thePorsches look better but the Tesla is an amazing piece of kit and musk is just one of those every couple of centuries geniuses. Don’t have a problem supporting a guy like thAt, think about all the wealth he has created for humanity / his workers in high paying jobs. This is brilliant. I would still buy the Taycan in some form though.

And in the meantime I am holding on to the best there is with combustion engines…. The Cayenne Turbo still is in my opinion the best vehicle on the market today and the V8 is amazing. And my two day old otouring is to die for…. Maybe I lack ambition but I don’t see myself ever needing anything more than this…. Ok perhaps I will consider a Cayenne Turbo S facelift if they improve the battery…

My bad.  Please ignore my Tesla references. Only my points related to the Taycan (catches fire, sinks ships, slow, nice buttons) should be taken into account.  I left out no OTA updates since some think that is an amazing benefit. Is it okay that I mentioned the Audi looks better?  Lol 

Cheers Carlos. Please try to understand my humor.  
    Here is your reply Mr Nut so the world can continue to revolve. 

996FourEss:

I think the Cross Turismo is the best looking of the bunch. Great. And guys l would give Leawood a Break. Don’t disagree that a buyer should make an informed decision so why not drive the Porsche back to back vs the Tesla. Do think thePorsches look better but the Tesla is an amazing piece of kit and musk is just one of those every couple of centuries geniuses. Don’t have a problem supporting a guy like thAt, think about all the wealth he has created for humanity / his workers in high paying jobs. This is brilliant. I would still buy the Taycan in some form though.

I hope what I wrote was helpful to you. Smiley

But also, don't pay attention to what he wrote about miles per hours charge or whatever. You own mileage varies. Greatly. That mileage number is literally meaningless.

My 991 turbo S's EPA rating is like 31 mpg. So when I fill up a gallon, I am suppose to go 31 miles. But when I go on a track, the mpg drops to about 3 miles per gallon. And if I go downhill, the mileage magically goes to 50 if not 99 mpg. in city traffic I think it hovers around 10 mpg. Lifetime the mileage is like 17 mpg. So the metric miles per kW charged is basically a random number you can ignore. How you drive on Kentucky roads would be different than what he drove on Missouri roads. Guess I don't have to remind you that if you want to test of the amazing 0-60 times of the Plaid, you won't be getting 44 miles per hour charged Smiley Like I said, miles per time unit charged is absolutely meaningless. 

One more thing, that '350kW' charging? It might hit that peak for like a couple minutes, when the battery is conditioned correctly and at a very low state of charge. It will then ramped down quickly to basically no where close to that number. Overheated is the simple explanation. 400V vs 800V, you can only push so much amperage into a wire before something overheats. 800V system can push the same amount of power down a wire at half the amperage of 400V system, less amperage less heat. Simple physics. On the other hand, he is quite correct about Tesla's excellent charging network, it just works. Plug it in a forget. Not so for the CCS standard. There are quite numerous chargers, but not all of them worked and for those that's working not all of them worked at the correct speed either, a lot of time it's hit and miss. 

Lastly, by picking the Porsche over the Tesla, you won't have rear bumper falling off on the highway, also your glass roof won't pop off and hit the car behind, the windows won't shatter from blowing out either. Your suspension are tightened correctly so the bolts won't come off. There isn't a Autopilot system that purposely crashes into emergency vehicles, nor FSD system that insist on taking you down a road the wrong way. 

I mean yeah, Tesla's won't a have a transport boat that sunk and losing your car, but Porsche also doesn't self combust and going up in flames wither. Smiley

BTW, if you do order the Taycan. go ask for factory delivery. Zuffenhausen. You will get to the the amazing Porsche factory and you won't see any temporary tents in the lot, nor will you see the CEO banging the secretary trying to have his 24th baby. SmileySmileySmiley

--

Personally I think that when a battery is charging and sitting still at home the measure of miles going in is pretty darn consistent.  The rest is awesome word salad that sounds pretty silly if you step back. Perhaps it would help to plug the two in side by side at home, let them charge for let’s say four hours and see how far they go. Who do you think would win?  Is that a fair comparison or not?  Hmmm. 
    What you do with miles gained later is of course up to you.  We all know about mileage varying. It is hilarious and very telling how defensive one gets. Lots of flack when over the target. I thought mention of ‘T’ was not allowed on a Taycan thread.   Oh I get it, you can bash them all you want but you can’t say anything bad about Porsche.  Lol. On the ‘T’ thread the same rules apply. You can only trash them. Forgot. Right. Lol. 
    Happy Sunday!

Love the list of stuff btw. I’m certain consumers care more about everything listed here, so many complaints about the cars from actual customers. Oh wait.  These are your complaints having not owned one.  I can’t think of anyone who has happier customers or shareholders. Or more butt- hurt competition. Can you?  

I just want to apologize if I have offended anyone. This has nothing to do with anything other than enjoying a dialog and appreciation of others points of view.  I prefer not to guess motives behind responses. No one is ‘triggered’ or somehow predicable in their posts here - those are just ways of personally criticizing someone and add little else.  We are all smart enough to read and form opinions and hopefully keep an open mind. Each style and personality here adds to the fun and content here.  It would suck if we all felt the same way all the time.  Hence we have balls so we use them. 
    cheers and hope all had a safe and productive week. 

Can Mahomes beat Old Tom Brady tonight? Hope so.  

Thanks for all the information Whoopsy.  Very helpful, even more so as my RS6 took a shit last night having a complete electrical system failure.  Getting it into neutral with zero power and not being able to be jumped was an interesting experience Smiley

Be at the dealership tomorrow to get the GT3 serviced so going to look at a Cayenne Turbo Coupe they have while I at least spec the Taycan…

There is a bit of irony in specing a Taycan because your Audi's electronics crapped out.

A perusal of that other Renn forum seems to indicate the Taycan is a great sports sedan, but not a great rechargeable computer on wheels.

Guys, an honest question.  I was not aware of that the fire on the Felicity Ann was caused by Porsche Taycans.  I did read that the fire was difficult to put out because of electric cars on the ship, but is there any evidence that it was caused by a Taycan? Please, I don’t wanna get back into any type of argument here. Just want to know the facts.

Wonderbar:

Guys, an honest question.  I was not aware of that the fire on the Felicity Ann was caused by Porsche Taycans.  I did read that the fire was difficult to put out because of electric cars on the ship, but is there any evidence that it was caused by a Taycan? Please, I don’t wanna get back into any type of argument here. Just want to know the facts.

it wasn't. It was just misinformation spread by the Tesla crowd.

The fire was COMPLICATED by the amount of electric cars onboard, aka the Taycans as their batteries start burning after.  It wasn't STARTED by the Taycans, no one on Earth has reported that. 

Porsche, aka LG Chem, uses a different battery chemistry than Tesla's batteries, safer and won't spontaneously combust. Of course the difference has draw backs, first of all would be less energy density. 

--

lexs4:

Thanks for all the information Whoopsy.  Very helpful, even more so as my RS6 took a shit last night having a complete electrical system failure.  Getting it into neutral with zero power and not being able to be jumped was an interesting experience Smiley

Be at the dealership tomorrow to get the GT3 serviced so going to look at a Cayenne Turbo Coupe they have while I at least spec the Taycan…

Sorry to hear about the RS6. One of my friends who has one keep getting check engine message constantly. But the workshop found no fault when they plug it in to check. Like you, he is actually getting fed up and is looking at a Taycan wagon also. 

Feel free to ask if anything else comes up in your mind, likely I will know more than your sales associate at the dealership😂

Oh one last thing, there was some cars with an issue of the big hybrid battery not maintaining the 12V battery. Not all the cars have that but it's also a long dated problem from Porsche since the Panamera hybrid days. My 918 don't have that problem, if I plug it in to the wall charger, the computer will maintain and top up the 12V. But on my Panamera turbo S the computer isn't doing what it is suppose to do, it killed 2 12V batteries already on my Panamera if I only use the wall charger. My 2 Taycans however is fine and without such a problem. 

Oh and almsot forgot, Porsche just stealth nerf the PMCC, aka the charger with the LCD screen. It cuts the default output to only half for fear of overheating. One reason I said they are junk and don't use them and instead get something better and cheaper. 

--

Thanks Whoopsy.  Glad my GTS arrived safely last week.  Made the journey across in normal time, but sat at the port for almost a week before it was “released to carrier” and came to my dealership. Still amazes me that one ship can carry over 4000 cars 

A few preliminary pics at the 992GTS thread, if anyone’s interested. More pics and a driving impression review will follow in a week or so.

Just search for Taycan fires.  Seems that battery charger fires are mostly a Porsche problem, Audi installed more expensive hardware.  Cause of the fire on the ship is being kept very quiet. Obviously it was the batteries which caught fire but the start could have been anything.  Only thing is other fire sources would have been easy to extinguish. Quite a few reports of home fires due to Taycans. Maybe that was early on. Pretty certain they would fix that. 
    When I search for fire hazards related to my new e-bike I was surprised how many fires they cause. Being very cautious when charging it. And my car. 

Leawood911:

Just search for Taycan fires.  Seems that battery charger fires are mostly a Porsche problem, Audi installed more expensive hardware.  Cause of the fire on the ship is being kept very quiet. Obviously it was the batteries which caught fire but the start could have been anything.  Only thing is other fire sources would have been easy to extinguish. Quite a few reports of home fires due to Taycans. Maybe that was early on. Pretty certain they would fix that. 
    When I search for fire hazards related to my new e-bike I was surprised how many fires they cause. Being very cautious when charging it. And my car. 

Quite a few reports? been reading Teslarati or something? I only see 3... and haven't found any more doing a quick search on Google. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plug-in_electric_vehicle_fire_incidents

Not sure what the ratio of Taycan vs Teslas out there are to be able to compare, but the same page reports Teslas incidents are over 30... which imo is still very few as well given the likely number of total cars that is based on.

Taycan Charger Campaign.jpg

--

Mike

918 Spyder + 992 GT3 Touring + Taycan Turbo + Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S P100D AP2 + BMWs (Z8 + 3.0 CSi) + Bentley Arnage T

W8MM:

Taycan Charger Campaign.jpg

Thank you Mike.

The nerfing is to prevent the charger from melting the socket in case someone plugs their charger into a sub standard socket and/or wiring. 

There are 14-50 sockets and there are 14-50 sockets. Not all of them are designed for continuous max load like the usage case for EV chargers.

Regardless. The chargers will default to 50% on start up, but can be manually adjust back up each time during use. If the charger is connected to WiFi, more than likely the update has been installed automatically.

--

Leawood911:

Btw isn't there a few Teslas that was on the boat also? Think those are the ones that started the fire and no the TaycanSmiley You didn't 'read' about it? Elon is a powerful man and some things needed to be kept quiet. 

You can speculate all you want and read all the conspiracies you want from the Tesla communities. If it was indeed started by the Taycan batteries, Porsche would have done a stop sale on their cars already. Which they have done quite a few times over the years on various issues on different models. Heck, my 918 was part of a stop sale way back then when an idiot burnt down his at a gas station and Porsche needed to check it if was from the car or human error. that took a good 6 weeks of investigating. 

Anyways.

You do realized Audi re-badge Porsche's chargers as their own right? Which they have been doing for like 8 years now. 

And they aren't even re-badging the more expensive one, they only re-badge and re-sell the cheaper Porsche Mobile Charger Plus, not the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect that has the LCD screen.

How do I know? I have all of them sitting in my garage. Heck, I have 4 different versions of Porsche's charger, from the initial original charger that came with the 918 to the most current Porsche Mobile Charger Connect and Plus. Also a standard Porsche Mobile Charger than came with my Panamera turbo S and my e-Tron's Audi charger is a clone of this one, and not the PMC+. Current shipping Audi chargers is the clone of the PMC+.

None of them except the 918 charger get used, that was used to connect my 918. All my EVs are getting their charger from my 80A hardwired Clippercreek charger. It will do 15.4kW at full power but none of my cars can accept that yet. I didn't spec the 19.2kW onboard for my Taycan so it's stuck charging at 48A aka 11.5kW, which also is the max rate for my Mach E. 

The Clippercreek will be upgraded to the full 100A version once my Lightning arrives as that truck can charge at 80A. 

I have a 3rd charger, Flo X5, that one is only a 40A 32A output, so it's getting used to charge my hybrids, aka he Wrangler 4xe and the Panamera. 

--

It is not the same eternal charger which caused the fires. It is the AC to DC converter in the car. 
    Anyway - there were no Teslas on that boat. Lol. They don’t ship from there. 

https://youtu.be/CoIAgi6KM5Q
    Interesting viewing made by a Taycan owner. By contrast every Tesla owner has received 100s of new features and functionality for free over the years, even if you bought 10 years ago and are out of warranty .  Enough said. Don’t want to get in trouble but the tech in the Porsche is a bit farther from self driving. 

"Tesla is the one to beat … I would pay the premium to have the Porsche“

Question: the software update to increase the range, is it for free or does Porsche charge the owner of the Taycan?

Leawood911:

It is not the same eternal charger which caused the fires. It is the AC to DC converter in the car. 
    Anyway - there were no Teslas on that boat. Lol. They don’t ship from there. 

https://youtu.be/CoIAgi6KM5Q
    Interesting viewing made by a Taycan owner. By contrast every Tesla owner has received 100s of new features and functionality for free over the years, even if you bought 10 years ago and are out of warranty .  Enough said. Don’t want to get in trouble but the tech in the Porsche is a bit farther from self driving. 

Who said it's new cars coming over?

You do realized VAG doesn't chartered the whole boat right? There are all sorts of reasons for companies and individuals to ship cars from Europe to North America. 

Oh, just in case you forgot, The Audi e-Tron GT is a clone of the Taycan, all mechanicals are shared. That AC/DC converter you wanted to talk about? yeah, it's still the same. Porsche part. Well VAG part. VAG have another AC/DC converter that's 400V, but that one goes to all the VAG hybrids, Porsche, Audi, Bentley, etc. It's the same one that goes into the Audi e-Tron also. 

Your Tesla communities really need to do some research before trying to trash talk VAG on shady workmanship. A person living in a glass house shouldn't throw stones is the old saying. 

That hole you digging? It's getting deeper. 

--

Like I said the internal AC to DC converter hardware on the Porsche was the problem. The one installed later in the Audi did not have the same issue. One assumes the Porsche has now started shipping with the same after a few houses burned down. 
    Sure if you want to say a Tesla burned down the ship fine. Lol. My guess is that is one fact the whole world must have been told about but I missed that one since I always look the other way if a tesla is at fault. Too funny. My hole is shallow compared to yours my friend.  The Taycan software is a joke, I get your fear of FSD if this is your perspective. 
    My trash talking of the Porsche is miles away from your Tesla trash talking. To say nothing of the reality of the arguments.  
    Anyway, your goal is to prevent actual test drives at all cost. I totally understand the need to do that. 

Leawood911:

Like I said the internal AC to DC converter hardware on the Porsche was the problem. The one installed later in the Audi did not have the same issue. One assumes the Porsche has now started shipping with the same after a few houses burned down. 
    Sure if you want to say a Tesla burned down the ship fine. Lol. My guess is that is one fact the whole world must have been told about but I missed that one since I always look the other way if a tesla is at fault. Too funny. My hole is shallow compared to yours my friend.  The Taycan software is a joke, I get your fear of FSD if this is your perspective. 
    My trash talking of the Porsche is miles away from your Tesla trash talking. To say nothing of the reality of the arguments.  
    Anyway, your goal is to prevent actual test drives at all cost. I totally understand the need to do that. 

And like I said, that part is common between Porsche and Audi for the 800V platform and then the 400V version is in a host of VAG cars. 

There is nothing to single out Porsche for a 'bad' part when the same part is in Audi, Bentley whatever. You should go back to the Tesla community and tell them that. Porsche doesn't do running updates on the line like how Tesla does it. 

As for test drives, I pretty much drove all brands of EV by now, including Teslas. It's just that I didn't spent my hard earned money buying a Tesla that's all. 

--

https://youtu.be/EF7D9Tc-NVE
    Thank you Top Gear.  Complete list of all cars on board  -  hmm no ‘T’

https://youtu.be/0ghIahkIVCs

2 minute mark. Make of it what you wish. Looks like the issue has been resolved. Maybe one of those running updates they don’t do. (Why not change stuff that is not working?).  Whistleblower might not be real also but it does explain some stuff. 

Tesla continues to constantly update cars. In most cases existing cars get the same updates over the air. Obviously hardware updates don’t trickle down but to the benefit of the current owners the cars look the same. There is no pressure to buy the latest to not look outdated or get the latest tech and features. As a consumer that is not all bad. Maybe you think it is - here is a shovel for your argument. Cheers

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690415 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409711 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255936 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235189 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65641 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858368 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774623 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM