Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

505hp corvette Z06 priced the same than cayman s

On a vette forum which i will link a dealer owner spoke with GM heads and concluded the next Z06 will be priced from 59000usd

Re: 505hp corvette Z06 priced the same than cayman s

Not to mention that the Z06 has HUGE 6-piston brakes, dry sump engine (first ever for a modern American sports car, AFAIK), 475 ft-lbs of torque from very low revs all the way to 7k redline, Limited Slip Diff, Carbon Fiber body panels (car weighs about same as Cayman S), Xenon lights, Enormous tires (325's in back), Heads-up display, engine oil, tranny oil and power steering fuild coolers, etc. Too bad it will probably have very poor steering precision and feedback (the one area where the Cayman will excel and the one area where I hate to compromise).

Ya; the're fast , and cheap, but the're junk... Sorry
    Revvv

Quote:
    Revvv said:
    Ya; the're fast , and cheap, but the're junk... Sorry
    Revvv

Revvv - I think you may lose a few sales to Chevy with this new Z06. I think they are lacking in some respects, but I don't think it's fair to call them junk (and they will beat any Porsche on a track - except a CGT - and maybe a GT2 - but maybe not...).

I have to agree with Grant. Like it or not, the Z06 is a serious sportscar. And while the 911 can rely on its presitge and heritage to partially offset the fact that the normally aspirated versions are going to be slower than the Z06 on both the street and track, the Cayman will not have that advantage. If potential Cayman buyers are shopping for the best lap times they can buy for 60K, the Z06 is the better car. However, some of them will prefer the Cayman's more sophisticated interior, mid-engine layout, handling characteristics or the Porsche name. But "junk" seems a little harsh for a car you haven't experienced yet.

mcdelaug

In a recent article I read it said that Chevy was backing down from the 500HP goal of the Z06 to like the high 400s,
    could be wrong though. There is still no denying that the Vette is a true sports car with very high limits.

I've never really been a Vette person though......to me it's like comparing a 24oz T-Bone steak at Golden Coral to a 10oz Filet at Ruth's Chris.....both satisfying, but to different appetites. Do you want the rough flavorful taste of the T-Bone, or the melt in your mouth seduction of the Filet.

I think I need to go eat now.....

Quote:
    MikeN said:
    In a recent article I read it said that Chevy was backing down from the 500HP goal of the Z06 to like the high 400s,
    could be wrong though. There is still no denying that the Vette is a true sports car with very high limits.

The new Z06 was recently officially certified at 505 hp SAE net. The goal was 500hp, but they exceeded it...

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    MikeN said:

The new Z06 was recently officially certified at 505 hp SAE net. The goal was 500hp, but they exceeded it...

So much for the usual rags being correct about anything.....impressive results......

i think the first sales tip someone learn me, a long time ago) and im only 26 is dont bash competition; its not going to make you do a sale...got it....its all about respect....

Guys, I said those harsh words, just to get a rise out of ya. I know that word is too severe; and I am an enthusiast
    for all real sports cars. Furthermore, in terms of pure dynamics, the new Corvette is awesome, and by far, the best generation yet. But I just have a thing against "pusrod
    motors". 6 litres better be faster than 3.4. I just love high technology, though. Four valves per cylinder, variable
    cam timing and manifolds, mid-engine design, low center of gravity, low polar moment of inertia, light weight construction with very rigid torsional rigidity; I don't
    know, but for some reason I prefer that angle of attack
    for a Sports Coupe'. Viva La Differance. Revvv

Quote:
    Revvv said:
    6 litres better be faster than 3.4.

Yes, it better be, but the Z06 has "7" Liters

Quote:
    Revvv said:
    Guys, I said those harsh words, just to get a rise out of ya. I know that word is too severe; and I am an enthusiast
    for all real sports cars. Furthermore, in terms of pure dynamics, the new Corvette is awesome, and by far, the best generation yet. But I just have a thing against "pusrod
    motors". 6 litres better be faster than 3.4. I just love high technology, though. Four valves per cylinder, variable
    cam timing and manifolds, mid-engine design, low center of gravity, low polar moment of inertia, light weight construction with very rigid torsional rigidity; I don't
    know, but for some reason I prefer that angle of attack
    for a Sports Coupe'. Viva La Differance. Revvv

Dry sump technology, and an aluminum/magnesium frame is not good technology? Pushrod engines are far more compact (particularly in height) allowing them to be placed lower and therefore have a low cg. The Z06 has the engine so far back with respect to the front that anymore and it could almost be considered mid-engined (just forward-biased, unlike "typical" mid-engined cars).

That 7.0L Chevy engine is smaller than a lot of V6's.

Sorry about the 6 VS 7 litre displacement, mistake. There
    has always been a Porsche/Corvette controvesy. Probably because their engineering approaches are so different. I just think that customers come to Porsche for more quality,
    and balance in the envelope of what the total car represents
    to the owner. As I said, I truly respect the new Corvette.
    Andy Pilgrim's even a good friend of mine ! Revvv

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Not to mention that the Z06 has HUGE 6-piston brakes, dry sump engine (first ever for a modern American sports car, AFAIK), 475 ft-lbs of torque from very low revs all the way to 7k redline, Limited Slip Diff, Carbon Fiber body panels (car weighs about same as Cayman S), Xenon lights, Enormous tires (325's in back), Heads-up display, engine oil, tranny oil and power steering fuild coolers, etc. Too bad it will probably have very poor steering precision and feedback (the one area where the Cayman will excel and the one area where I hate to compromise).

Wonderful, sir. Could not have said it better myself.

thers a serious proble about the administrators editing posts here...wheres the threaded?

Re: MORE z06 INFO

Steering. The Z06 has a different front end suspension,geometry and lighter front end weight than a standard Vette, so i expect its steering will be way different in precision of feel. The C6 standard model
    also has its engine further out over the wheels in front
    and is higher mounted with smaller front sheels and tyres.

This version of the Corvette motor is essentially a
    street legal version of their le Mans winning engines,
    so expect it to rev and make power and HUMONGOUS torque
    very quickly! This is NOT a mass produced engine with a
    few modifications!!!!!

Whereas a Porsche has that deep "ripping canvas" motor sound, this version of the Corvette race engine has a basso "ripping thunder" sound. Unless you have heard one,
    its like trying to explain to people how well a Porsche handles.

GM was not exxagerating when they gave the car
    the development name of "Blue Devil"

Little engines beware, this one will rip your guts out!

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Steering. The Z06 has a different front end suspension,geometry and lighter front end weight than a standard Vette, so i expect its steering will be way different in precision of feel. The C6 standard model
    also has its engine further out over the wheels in front
    and is higher mounted with smaller front sheels and tyres.

Jim - I hope you're right. I thought the Magnasteer (variable power steering) was largely responsible for the lousy feel on the C6 - maybe they'll ditch that in favor of a more feedback-friendly system on the Z06...

One other thing in favor of the vette is that Chevy encourages buyers to track the car without voiding their warranty.

The Cayman, regardless of engine will easssssssily outhandle the Z06, I PROMISE this to anyone who thinks otherwise... Other than that it's kind of hard to make a valid comparison between these cars, the Cayman is just so much more special than the Vette in terms of design, build, engineering, etc.

Quote:
    M5er said:
    The Cayman, regardless of engine will easssssssily outhandle the Z06, I PROMISE this to anyone who thinks otherwise... Other than that it's kind of hard to make a valid comparison between these cars, the Cayman is just so much more special than the Vette in terms of design, build, engineering, etc.

Well, sad but true. These are lap times around Nordschleife:
    - 7:56 Chevrolet Corvette CE Z06 (John Heinricy)
    - 8:11 Porsche Cayman S (Walter Rohrl)

Bluelines, The Z06 you are referring to was a stock street
    model ? 15 seconds quicker; I find that hard to believe.
    Revvv

Quote:
    M5er said:

M5er I can promise you that a 67 Lotus Elan will outhandle any Cayman on a Autocross course. However, there is no doubt that a factory C6 Z06 vette will out lap the Cayman S or a BMW M5 on a race track.

Regerettfully the Cayman is just a Boxster Coupe with 15 more hp. Like it or not, the Z06 C6 Vette is not just another vette with a extra 110hp. If you loved the last model Z06s 7:56 lap times on the 'ring, you will adore the new ones lap times even more so.

7100 rpm and 60mph in 1st gear is a good thing! http://www.autoblog.com/entry/1234000667030849/

"Another 500hp car to compare this to is the new V10 in the M5. It makes its 500hp from 5.0L at 7750rpm and 385 lb-ft at 6100rpm. The Z06 makes that same torque at 1600rpm and 500hp at 6200rpm"

So much for vaunted BMW V10 technology.

Quote:
    Revvv said:
    Bluelines, The Z06 you are referring to was a stock street
    model ? 15 seconds quicker; I find that hard to believe.
    Revvv

Believe it or not, but "Hein the Rocket" did it with stock tires and stock suspension.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    M5er said:

M5er I can promise you that a 67 Lotus Elan will outhandle any Cayman on a Autocross course. However, there is no doubt that a factory C6 Z06 vette will out lap the Cayman S or a BMW M5 on a race track.

Regerettfully the Cayman is just a Boxster Coupe with 15 more hp. Like it or not, the Z06 C6 Vette is not just another vette with a extra 110hp. If you loved the last model Z06s 7:56 lap times on the 'ring, you will adore the new ones lap times even more so.

7100 rpm and 60mph in 1st gear is a good thing! http://www.autoblog.com/entry/1234000667030849/

"Another 500hp car to compare this to is the new V10 in the M5. It makes its 500hp from 5.0L at 7750rpm and 385 lb-ft at 6100rpm. The Z06 makes that same torque at 1600rpm and 500hp at 6200rpm"

So much for vaunted BMW V10 technology.

I'm sure the Lotus can, but you're not on topic here, we're talking Z06 vs. Cayman. The Z06 no doubt will out lap the Cayman, but i'm speaking in terms of which will probably be more fun to throw around the track? All in all, a Z06 is a hp/torque monster, the Cayman is an everday through and through sports car with more than enough power. Just imagine if there were to be a 500bhp Cayman, then this would be a totally different story, though I dont know the weight of either car. Roll on CS version...

if porsche were not mean at this point i think the perfect engine to make a monster of a cayman is to put GT3 engine in it...380 hp would be just about perfect to take advantage of the excellent chassis/engine location...now it would justify the premium, and id gradly pay the difference...15hp sounds like marketing...

Quote:
    M5er said:

Your thinking with your heart instead of your head. Pick ANY performance measure you like and the Z06 will out perform the Cayman, Boxster S, 997 and 997S.

So which is the better car? I guess it all depends on what is important to you. Badge, past reputation for quality or performance?

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    M5er said:

Your thinking with your heart instead of your head. Pick ANY performance measure you like and the Z06 will out perform the Cayman, Boxster S, 997 and 997S.

So which is the better car? I guess it all depends on what is important to you. Badge, past reputation for quality or performance?

Im not impressed with the Porsches current models. I dont care for plastic engine covers, the cheesy switch gear
    and the attempt to disconnect the driver from the cars
    road feel so that it will please the soft pompous turrds
    who want a car for status and not its performance.

When Porsche brings back velocity stacks and solid motor mounts Im in, until that happens I wait.

Ah, MFI Here's my motor (2.7L RS spec+ 240hp, uprated to 9.5:1 Mahle pistons and uprated valvetrain for 8,000rpm...

Grant, that mill looks righteous !!!

What gears are you running?

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Grant, that mill looks righteous !!!

What gears are you running?

Going to be custom box (915/63 Mag) with all the WEVO upgrades (gateshift, motor mounts, billet shifter, bearing retainer, etc.)- close ratios (5th tops out at 145mph at 8,000rpm) and assymetrical Guard LSD.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776790 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441547 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262694 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260836 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85105 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5514 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880547 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815680 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM