Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review

Next week Porsche will announce a new Taycan trim, GTS, slotting between the 4S and the turbo. 

I think they are just going to slap the 600A inverter from the turbo S onto a 4S and call it a day.

Regular Taycans up to the turbo trim, are using the 300A version. 

With the higher rating inverter, it should let the motors boost to about 630hp. like an extra 50kW over the standard 4S with the 300A inverter. Same difference between the 300A turbo and the 600A turbo S.

--

Both the Turbo and the Turbo S use the same 600A pulse inverter on the rear axle. The difference is on the front axle pulse inverters where the Turbo S has double the power with a 600A, compared to the Turbo’s 300A.

On the Turbo S this extra power is only available as overboost when using launch control. During normal driving both the Turbo and the Turbo S have the same power output.

Anyway, just ordered a Taycan Turbo Cross Turismo.

--

2016 Porsche 981 GT4 | Racing Yellow
    2018 Audi S6 Avant | Ibis White

Pentium:

Unfortunately I strongly believe this kind of sad events will multiply as the general public will buy more and more EV’s. People are not ready for such acceleration bursts. Insurance will get expensive fast. Lives will be lost.

Any idea how silly it sounds to blame this on EVs or brakes?  
    The Plaid brakes stop the car from 60 mph 7 feet longer than the Taycan turbo S.   If you need any more than that like repeated race track style stops then you are an idiot driver on the street and need to be arrested. 
    This is an idiot driver - end of sad story - you might as well blame the color of his underwear. 
    If you want to keep fast cars away from people in general because some can’t be trusted - there is an argument to be made. But be clear that this is the fault of the random idiot humans not the cars or motorcycles or guns or knives or tall trees.  
    Do we want to live in such a world where we don’t trust people to do the right thing as a rule?  What is the correct balance?

From a safety perspective - my insurance is drastically cheaper due to the ridiculous low accident rate and much lower injury accident rate forTesla. Plus you can’t steal this car. Never heard of that.   The speed and performance is stupid for certain but the car is very safe. Again - it is dumb humans - but the safety record speaks for itself in volumes!!  

bluelines:

Both the Turbo and the Turbo S use the same 600A pulse inverter on the rear axle. The difference is on the front axle pulse inverters where the Turbo S has double the power with a 600A, compared to the Turbo’s 300A.

On the Turbo S this extra power is only available as overboost when using launch control. During normal driving both the Turbo and the Turbo S have the same power output.

They need to make that two door 928 style version.   Congrats on the order!!

This one, I will buy in a heartbeat.

But it has be lighter than a Taycan.

bluelines:

Congratulations. Smiley 

--

964 Carrera 4 /  997.2 C2S -20mm /  991.2 GT3 RS stolen 

bluelines:

Yes I wasn't clear when I wrote that I was talking about the front converter. 

But my prediction stands, I do believe the GTS will get the front inverter from the turbo S for the extra boost of 50kW.

Ordered already, not waiting on the Sport Turismo?

--

Whoopsy:

Found a nicely spec’ed showroom car and I need that off-road package in the alps indecision I think the Cross Turismo looks mean with the wide stance and black plastic cladding, but I am sure the Sport Turismo will be a looker too kiss

--

Congrats - looks epic ! 

Bravo!

Après le test dit nous la performance Smiley

Whoopsy:
    bluelines:

Yes I wasn't clear when I wrote that I was talking about the front converter. 

But my prediction stands, I do believe the GTS will get the front inverter from the turbo S for the extra boost of 50kW.

While I was under optimistic on the GT4RS front, I was over optimistic on the GTS front.

Only 20kW extra over the 4S, a simple rear axle swap from the turbo model onto the 4S and they called it a day 🙄

Boy am I glad I didn't wait for the GTS and simply ordered another 4S Cross Turismo. Apart from the new electrochromic glass roof, there isn't much on the GTS that I wanted. 

--

Taycan GTS and Sport Turismo GTS are extremely desirable EVs. However the launch video is next level marketing BS.

Taycan GTS and Taycan GTS Sport Turismo

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2021/products/porsche-taycan-gts-taycan-gts-sport-turismo-la-auto-show-26460.html

Porsche marketing: With a few tweaks the Cross Turismo suddenly becomes the Sport Turismo.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

Whilst the regulated future of the automobile, EVs are leaving me more and more disinterested in them as the final heyday of the ICE continues. 

For now, I agree. Rare ICE models will be good investments. But the public may resent them when  driven on public roads.

bluelines:

And you thought there are no longterm COVID effects... Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

RC:

Smiley

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

indecision

RC:

SmileySmiley

--

First of all many many congratulations. and Thanks for the review. I have been a huge fan of Porsche since my childhood. I'm in love with the brand. Another Brand I like is Ford. Can you please make a comparison of ford and Porsche? 

Keep posting.

Regards:

Boaz Xavier:

First of all many many congratulations. and Thanks for the review. I have been a huge fan of Porsche since my childhood. I'm in love with the brand. Another Brand I like is Ford. Can you please make a comparison of ford and Porsche? 

Keep posting.

Regards:

Welcome. Smiley

Ford? Well, Ford wins against Ferrari (see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_v_Ferrari ) but they don't stand a chance against Porsche. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Porsche Taycan Turbo S (761PS)(20.832km): 7:33.35
    ......Tesla Model S Plaid (1020PS)(20.832km): 7:35.58
    ........Porsche Taycan Turbo (680PS)(20.6km): 7:42.34

Smiley

Can you believe that in 2010 you needed a 997.2 GT3 RS to get that time? No matter where you stand on EV, achieving this on a 5,100 pound electric sedan is impressive.

What will it do as a time for its second, third, fourth, and fifth laps?  

Enmanuel:

Can you believe that in 2010 you needed a 997.2 GT3 RS to get that time? No matter where you stand on EV, achieving this on a 5,100 pound electric sedan is impressive.

What's wild is that he could have gone even faster.

There are a quite a few sections where he is just coasting, neither on the gas or the brake. Time lost.

--

Enmanuel:

Very impressive. I would imagine the tires won't last too long with that kind of weight though.

Whoopsy:
    Enmanuel:

There are a quite a few sections where he is just coasting, neither on the gas or the brake. Time lost.

Thermal management strategy?

CGX car nut:
    Whoopsy:
    Enmanuel:

Thermal management strategy?

Nah. Lars isn't driving 10/10th. 8th/10th maybe. The car never even got close to out of shape for the whole lap. The coasting are mostly on the early part of the lap. More like he had a target time to do and he was ahead on the delta. 

Thermal would never been an issue for a Taycan on the Ring, Porsche had done hundreds if not thousands of laps on the Ring testing, they would have jacked up the cooling even before production. Neither would be brake cooling, those powerful regeneration braking soaked up most of the energy before it even got to those gigantic ceramic brakes, they aren't even being stressed one bit. 

A comparable Plaid would have been handling and braking limited. The brakes were already cooked before the end of the lap as it's doing the majority of the work, Ceramic or whatever Elon 'promised' wouldn't have help as it's still cooling limited. Tesla brakes are designed for slowing the car down after a drag strip run, not for repeated heavy braking. 

--

I know EVs are a divisive topic on here, but not wanting to wade through the Tesla vs Porsche muck what has been the ownership experience of those with various model Taycans?  I just spec'd a Taycan GTS Sport Turismo to possibly replace my RS6.  Wondering if the tech is getting reliable or still lots of bugs...

taycan gts interior.jpg
    taycan gts.jpg

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/17/24 7:48 AM
    GnilM
    662286 1775
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    401208 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    254595 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    229209 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    59581 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4381 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

853525 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    761909 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM