Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Carrera Language: English Region: Worldwide Sticky: yes Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II)

So glad you are being able to enjoy every detail of your beautiful Home Country. The old bark has been waiting for you. 

Crossing a river again, just like before ! 

Glad to see you back in action.

All the best for you.kiss

Blueflame

Hi Watt, love the photos mate. Is this NZ or back in the states? Looks lovely

The Mighty Northern Rockies.

Fall just starting at 7000'

IMG_5131.jpeg

The Crewe checked a new canyon, and low and behold 200' vertical off the valley floor - the Water Lord -- the Beaver has created a lovely Glen!

IMG_5079.jpeg

IMG_5114.jpeg

IMG_5071.jpeg

IMG_5069.jpeg

The Valley floor ponds have gone a bit Muddy as BoomBoom Indicates.... but fun stillwink

IMG_5142.jpeg

Took the RSQ8 600 miles to eye #2:

IMG_4235.jpeg

1. Very solid and linearly stable at 120-140 mph on smooth pavement, gets shaky/wobbly on bad pavement
    2. brakes excellent for a heavy rig
    3. very comfortable, excellent visibility -- a great all round pavement rig for harsh/snowy climates- decent high speed runner and decent in snow with proper snow tyres, too small for the Crewe and our gear, and of course not the thing off road vs the TRX.
    4. 23" wheels really deserve to be spinners, just ridiculous, and requires a set of 22s for available snows
    5. petrol range estimator is farcical:  told me 490 miles at start, barely made 220 with the hammer down but just tapping not pounding it, glad to discover that NOT in central lonely Nevada
    6. controls silly complex, screens change with accidental touch, tons of useless and dangerous [lane discipline will flip you off the road] modern gewgaws
    7. too bad Audi and the dealers sucks so bad at customer care - as I've mentioned I will never buy another Audi after having only one key for 7 months and having to pay to get the car to the dealer to have the second key fitted. Just pure BS, clearly  they think they will never have another sales depression, when repeat customers are the only ones left.

HaHa,

Ricer solved!

porsche-991-gt-2-S3790294-1.jpeg

porsche-991-gt-2-S3790294-3.jpeg

Ha, ve seen a lot of pictures of the wingless GT2 mod. I’m sure the track guys will confirm that it messes with the balance of the car and whatnot but, it does look phenomenal. Are you adding one to the stable?

Enmanuel:

Ha, ve seen a lot of pictures of the wingless GT2 mod. I’m sure the track guys will confirm that it messes with the balance of the car and whatnot but, it does look phenomenal. Are you adding one to the stable?

I'm considering it, and asking for all input from you guys. This car was built by Bruce Canapa, a credible guy and shop.  He claims the car is completely stable to 140 mph.  An hour of mechanic time reinstalls the wing if you need to go faster.

What do you guys think?  Thanks 

The aero balance issue could be solved by closing off the front fender vents and shaving down the size of the front splitter, cutting downforce in the front to balance the lost of the rear wing.

Pretty sure Bruce didn't run it in a wind tunnel to confirm his claims, likely it was just a blast down a deserted highway and didn't crash for him to come to his conclusion.

Alternatively, he could jack up the rear ride height, to increase the rake and build a bigger diffuser to generate more rear downforce to compensate.

But nah, why bothered, unbolting the wing and adding a couple filler pieces is quicker and easier and cheaper, especially when in the USA no one really drives much over 100 mph to notice the difference. 

But the car, in this form, could be amazing on a drag strip, much less drag and no corners to deal with. 

--

It's stable until it isn't and thats all it takes... no way you can chop aero here and there and modify it on a simple shop such a powerful car with heavy factory aero designed in by racing experiencef Porsche engineers and wind tunnel time and say it's safe to drive at high speeds and without any way to test what impact the modifications had. It would be ok for the typical boulevard cruiser and stoplight racer, but not if you plan to push the car at high speeds.

Thanks Guys.  

I do have a penchant for running  the desert continuously at 140-155 mph, so I'd probably have to put the wing back on - and Carlos I think you might be right - a great way to die in the desert - sudden instability and you're gone.

And Nick I'm going to ask but you're likely right: "Pretty sure Bruce didn't run it in a wind tunnel to confirm his claims, likely it was just a blast down a deserted highway and didn't crash for him to come to his conclusion."

I sold the GT2RS because of the ricer wing, but maybe for non wing, non track high speed, another turbo S would be better as bland as they are they're quick, and 4wd is great in the rain and gravel.

There’s always the Touring. Probably a handful in the rain and gravel. 

watt:

Thanks Guys.  

I do have a penchant for running  the desert continuously at 140-155 mph, so I'd probably have to put the wing back on - and Carlos I think you might be right - a great way to die in the desert - sudden instability and you're gone.

And Nick I'm going to ask but you're likely right: "Pretty sure Bruce didn't run it in a wind tunnel to confirm his claims, likely it was just a blast down a deserted highway and didn't crash for him to come to his conclusion."

I sold the GT2RS because of the ricer wing, but maybe for non wing, non track high speed, another turbo S would be better as bland as they are they're quick, and 4wd is great in the rain and gravel.

I have been to Bruce's shop many times, I know he doesn't have a wind tunnel thereSmiley Also know he isn't the kind of person to actually wanted to go to a wind tunnel to test stuff. If it looks right to him, it's done.

A 911 turbo S is the greatest all around car one can get, no matter the version. It is deadly on a track for most people, it will handle great enough to scared most on the street in mountain passes and stuff, the AWD means you aren't giving up anything either no matter the weather. 

Heck, in a pinch, you can cramp 4 if not 5 girls in the car. 

The one thing you gonna give up is great engine noise and exhaust sound, that title goes to GT3 and GT3RS. And now, the GT4RS.

I still have my Exclusive turbo S, and thinking about getting a 992.2 turbo S, but I have sold my GT2RS. I took my GT2RS all over Europe on the European delivery. It was happiest on the unlimited German Autobahn, it was happiest at Nurburgring, both the long one and the GP track. It's been to my track and since I have added the big water tank at Manthey, it was extremely happy running at my track even during summer time. But it's a one dimensional car, it doesn't like anything but high speed. 2 blocks in the city and I am at a speed that will get me arrested. No regrets. The only point of me keeping the GT2RS was to go to Porsche club meet to show off and/or driving around the city and let other see me in one. Pointless. With full buckets, it's not even comfortable. 

--

Nick,

What is 992.2 turbo S?  'I'm shopping '21s and 22's but thought they are all the same?  thanks

watt:

Nick,

What is 992.2 turbo S?  'I'm shopping '21s and 22's but thought they are all the same?  thanks

Th next face lift one that is coming in about a year or so.Smiley

--

HAHA, 

My 68th Porsche in my 68th year!  I finally broke evensmiley

3840 (1).jpeg

3840 (6).jpeg

3840 (4).jpeg

3840 (3).jpeg

Symmetry!

Carlos from Spain:

It's stable until it isn't and thats all it takes... no way you can chop aero here and there and modify it on a simple shop such a powerful car with heavy factory aero designed in by racing experiencef Porsche engineers and wind tunnel time and say it's safe to drive at high speeds and without any way to test what impact the modifications had. It would be ok for the typical boulevard cruiser and stoplight racer, but not if you plan to push the car at high speeds.

Smiley I remember two freak accidents which made it to the newspapers once here in Germany on the Autobahn.

First one was a Golf GTi, the owner cracked his front spoiler (lip?) on his car and at over 220 kph on the Autobahn, the car was "lifted" in the front, lost ground contact and crashed. The driver died, there was a full investigation and this was the conclusion. Smiley

Then, there was the former president(?) of the German doctor's association. He was on vacation with his family in his S-class(?...not sure I remember it right). He had a roof luggage box on his car to accommodate the luggage they had.
    At at speed slightly over 200 kph with the roof box, the car became very unstable and crashed. He died, not sure about his family members but I think they died as well. The investigation led to the conclusion that the roof box was the cause of the accident, it "lifted" the car at around 200 kph and the wheels (or one wheel) lost ground contact.

Aerodynamics are crucial to a car and if one drives faster than 100 mph (160 kph), one should be very careful about the proper aerodynamical balance.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), BMW Z4 M40i (2022), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

RC:
    Carlos from Spain:

Smiley I remember two freak accidents which made it to the newspapers once here in Germany on the Autobahn.

First one was a Golf GTi, the owner cracked his front spoiler (lip?) on his car and at over 220 kph on the Autobahn, the car was "lifted" in the front, lost ground contact and crashed. The driver died, there was a full investigation and this was the conclusion. Smiley

Then, there was the former president(?) of the German doctor's association. He was on vacation with his family in his S-class(?...not sure I remember it right). He had a roof luggage box on his car to accommodate the luggage they had.
    At at speed slightly over 200 kph with the roof box, the car became very unstable and crashed. He died, not sure about his family members but I think they died as well. The investigation led to the conclusion that the roof box was the cause of the accident, it "lifted" the car at around 200 kph and the wheels (or one wheel) lost ground contact.

Aerodynamics are crucial to a car and if one drives faster than 100 mph (160 kph), one should be very careful about the proper aerodynamical balance.

I couldn't agree more!

--

If I don't fly, I drive my .:RS :)

I love the color combination with the wheels. Smiley

Given your propensity to speed I’m confident this car will check all the boxes. Smiley

--

The purpose of life is to enjoy the moment.

nberry:

Given your propensity to speed I’m confident this car will check all the boxes. Smiley

Agreed! that brown interior is perfection.

Sabre says it's wide like any turbo Ssmiley

IMG_5319.jpeg

Big though, we'll have to line it up with the 991 C2S Cab for comparison...

IMG_5315.jpeg

1665872839290IMG_5316.jpeg

IMG_5314.jpeg

Superb, congrats!

--

Nicolas
    Macan S/Ex-997.1/997.2 S/991.1 S/991.1 C4 GTS

Enmanuel:
    nberry:

Agreed! that brown interior is perfection.

...and perfect for the Crewe... indecision

--

If I don't fly, I drive my .:RS :)

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/17/24 7:48 AM
    GnilM
    661417 1775
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    400990 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    254572 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    229035 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    59386 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4374 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

853360 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    761516 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM