Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: nick's new starbucks getter

Quote:
    nberry said:
    I agree the premium has fallen but they are still getting $70,000 over. It probably will level out at $50,000.

After this mornings GP the premium just fell another 10K. Good thing its red, as ben will be able to distinguish you in his rear view mirror.

Enjoy your car in good health.

What a freakin' beautiful car...enjoy it...

the f430 looks wonderfully small in that picture, i really like it!!!!

i love that color too! the wheels are so cool, but i think i may prefer the challange (BBS?) wheels better

Starbucks must have launched a new ad campaign. Yesterday I drove by a SB with a silver F car parked on the speedhump right in front of the store, and now this. No coincidence!

Grats to your new 430.

Quote:
    AndrewSS said:

fwiw, it's larger than the 360

Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    Quote:
    AndrewSS said:

But that's only cosmetics, it's about 5cm longer due to a different front bumper, height and width are about the same as at the 360.

It does seem to look larger due to the design, and of course looks huge compared to a 355, which I think is the perfect size for a sports car. I'm sure the demands for a more comfortable car and 500hp have necessitated the growth in size, no? I think the 360 is lighter than the 355 however.

- J

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    Quote:
    AndrewSS said:

But that's only cosmetics, it's about 5cm longer due to a different front bumper, height and width are about the same as at the 360.

yeah, it's almost 1/2 a foot longer than the 360, but my comment was just that there has been no improvement in size relative to the 360 (slightly to the contrary) - even more so when it comes to weight (1450 kg - yikes!).

I don't like modern sports cars becoming bigger and bigger with every model change either...

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    I don't like modern sports cars becoming bigger and bigger with every model change either...

no, and to make matters worse, they're using stuff like PASM (Porsche) and Skyhook (Ferrari) to "disquise" the weight which further erodes sports car feel and excitement. that said, safety improvements and requirements are dictating heavier weight which is attempting to be somewhat offset with more power (though power alone won't do it). the only way to get your cake and eat it too is to spend big bucks for cars made of ultra exotic materials. consumables and repairs (not to mention initial cost) go way up as a result.

But the F430 already has an aluminum chasis... heck, it doesn't even offer side airbags (good thing for Ferrari it doesn't apppear in the side impact crash test ratings) so how much is the next model going to weight its happening to all sportcar manufactures and I'm with Rossi, they all just keep geting bigger and heavier

They are "disguising" the weight with pasm and skyhook.

Also, the tire technology is so good now, that combined with stuff like skyhook or pasm you have to reach very high speeds to get any cornering thrills, and if you error playing at those speeds, the electronics and tires arent going to save your ass from the laws of physics. End of story for you. Beginning of story for cops, lawyers, medicos, tow truck and burial people.

Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    Quote:
    AndrewSS said:

yeah, it's almost 1/2 a foot longer than the 360, but my comment was just that there has been no improvement in size relative to the 360 (slightly to the contrary) - even more so when it comes to weight (1450 kg - yikes!).

From a few articles I've read about the CGT, its actual weight is about 1450kg. You should have yours weighed sometimes.

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    Quote:
    AndrewSS said:

From a few articles I've read about the CGT, its actual weight is about 1450kg. You should have yours weighed sometimes.

it's 3150 full of gas (25 gallons!) with the optional stereo, nav, and a/c.

3150? let's see the scale printout...

Quote:
    watt said:
    3150? let's see the scale printout...

it's been weighed in numerous publications

Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    to make matters worse, they're using stuff like PASM (Porsche) and Skyhook (Ferrari) to "disquise" the weight which further erodes sports car feel and excitement.

I've never heard "Skyhook" used for anything but Maserati.

Gary

Quote:
    tdf360 said:
    Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    to make matters worse, they're using stuff like PASM (Porsche) and Skyhook (Ferrari) to "disquise" the weight which further erodes sports car feel and excitement.

Gary

i've read several articles in several magazines referring to it as just that on the 430. are they all wrong?

here is one such article posted by our own nick:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/FirstDrive_Summary.asp?RT_ID=215087

"It certainly doesn't feel like a 1450kg car. That's partly because the steering has been so well judged for speed, but in the main it's the Skyhook damping that helps hide the weight."

and another:

http://www.carsfromitaly.com/ferrari/index.html

"The double wishbone suspension features the electronic damping known as 'Skyhook' and seen on other group products, as well as lighter components."

and another:

http://www.autocarmagazine.co.uk/News_Article.asp?NA_ID=210738

"Full suspension details have yet to be released, but the fundamental hardware is the same - double wishbones and coil springs - with the addition of electronically variable Skyhook dampers."

and another:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=19&article_id=9474

"Coupe and spider share all their tech goodies, including the E-Diff electronic differential and self-adjusting Skyhook suspension."

seems as though you've already read this one:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34827

"Seeing as how the 360 pioneered the use of aluminium for its chassis it's no surprise that the F430 continues the trend, though this time there are electronic 'Skyhook' dampers and lighter wishbones that are far more sophisticated than anything previously fitted to a V8 Ferrari."

FWIW, I've read the same thing in at least a 1/2 dozen magazine articles.

Quote:
    tdf360 said:
    Quote:
    ben, lj said:

Gary

Gary,
    Ferrari uses Exactly the same suspension system as Maserati.
    It was actually developed first on the 360.
    And then upgraded according to model.
    Ferrari doesn't advertise the fact it is Skyhook but trust me, it is.
    Similar system to PASM really.

Ben,
    It would be interesting to get an actual weight reading on the CGT. Up here in LA I took my Stradale to the U-rents on Pico that has a certified DMV scale. It's easy and takes 2 minutes. With 1/2 a tank of gas it was exactly 3020. By comparision my old F-40 was 3040. Neither one close to factory specs, but it is nice to know the real weight.

Quote:
    drbeck said:
    Ben,
    It would be interesting to get an actual weight reading on the CGT. Up here in LA I took my Stradale to the U-rents on Pico that has a certified DMV scale. It's easy and takes 2 minutes. With 1/2 a tank of gas it was exactly 3020. By comparision my old F-40 was 3040. Neither one close to factory specs, but it is nice to know the real weight.

How is your CS equipped ?
    Do you have the Radio, fire extinguiser options ?
    The fire extinguiser only weighs about 3lbs. but I'm just curious because I have it in my car.

Also, I wonder Ferrari's calculation was based on the CS w/ sliding lexan windows. (without window motors or glass)

You're probably right Stradale,
    All manufacturers publish dubious numbers about their car's mass. Including Porsche and Ferrari.
    Remember the case with the 996 Turbo, it gained about 60 kgs between the advertised weight in 2000 and now.:n
    And the 997S sport chassis recently tested in AMS was 40 kgs heavier than the 1420 kgs stated by the factory.
    It's not much but still.
    Wonder under what conditions they weight their cars?
    Not in the end of the world though, as the F430 and the 997 are still lightweight compared to their respective competition.

Quote:
    ben, lj said:

FWIW, I've read the same thing in at least a 1/2 dozen magazine articles.

My mistake. I don't know why I missed the references.

Gary

My Stradale does not have the fire extinguisher. It does have the big stereo. I spoke directly to FNA about the weight and their official responce was the factory specs are based upon a Euro car with lexan windows. I told them we both know that would not account for the difference and they politly told me the Euro cars have other lighter safty components. I don't beleive a word they say, so that's why I always weigh the cars myself so I know the exact amount.

Quote:
    drbeck said:
    My Stradale does not have the fire extinguisher. It does have the big stereo. I spoke directly to FNA about the weight and their official responce was the factory specs are based upon a Euro car with lexan windows. I told them we both know that would not account for the difference and they politly told me the Euro cars have other lighter safty components. I don't beleive a word they say, so that's why I always weigh the cars myself so I know the exact amount.

"big stereo" is pretty funny. it sounds like the music is coming from inside a beer can

other diff from euro to US include exhaust and gas tank size. however, even factoring those in leaves ferrari with their pants down w/ regards to their bogus weight (and HP) claims for the CS.

Many Congrats Nick Beautiful car.

It looks great in the flesh, thanks for taking it down to Carlsbad.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764805 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436815 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261180 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258081 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82707 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877140 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809292 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM