Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Oh leather, where are thou???

Just talked to dealer, nice guy.
    But came up with strange news that I am trying to get verified, anyone's help appreciated thank you.
    My car has been delayed because of leather supply problems.
    Porsche has stalled 997 production and is currently only issuing cars without all leather interior!
    This is not the first time, they had to stall Cayenne production a while back because of PASM suspension shortage from their supplier.
    So he told me, I can get your car for July but without all leather interior and it'll be an 05 model.
    No thanks.
    06 models production start 1st of August, factory closes between 15 and 31 of August. So with my stupid Slate grey colour, that means I don't get the car before mid sept. earliest (two months delay for special colours).
    This is annoying.
    But that's life, not much I can do about it, I'm getting the car round about the time I would have gotten it with Powerkit, so to make myself feel better, I might go for it now! Ah... decisions, decisions...
    Anyone aware of the leather supply problem?

Re: Oh leather, where are thou???

Not aware , myself taking delivery Jan 06 so everything should be sweet by then ( hopefully ).

05 model thats a nice try right..

Also have you heard about a 2% price increase yet , not that it makes much difference...

throt

Quote:
    Also have you heard about a 2% price increase yet , not that it makes much difference...

Yes effective on 06 models. So if you get your car after August, then you pay the price increase.
    Common practice, happens every year, inflation really.

I talked to my dealer recently and he had the said the same thing. I know that the factory of Porsche will be close in August, and the Production of 06s will starts at August first. I got that from Champion Motors. Also with the leather issue, my dealer had told me the exact something.

Quote:
    JL13 said:
    I talked to my dealer recently and he had the said the same thing. I know that the factory of Porsche will be close in August, and the Production of 06s will starts at August first. I got that from Champion Motors. Also with the leather issue, my dealer had told me the exact something.

Thank you sir,
    Well then I guess the dealer wasn't BS me.
    They really DO have a leather supply problem!
    Man, the person in charge of ligistics should be made redondant straight away!
    Not the end of the world, but very irritating nonetheless.
    There goes my summer in a brand new 997S!

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Anyone aware of the leather supply problem?

Yep, shortage of cows will cause that .

Suuuucks. But there's alot of leather around the world, it's a almost by product of meat consumption. I bet Porsche will out-bid other buyers anyway just to keep our costly (so called "overpriced") cars rolling off the line.

Strange. P just buy the seats from another source anyway. Where's the back up?

BTW, just noticed a couple of scratches on my passenger seat that were part of the hide.(cow scraped up against a barb wire fence?) Seems like rather poor quality control to me. Mechanically the car kicks @ss

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    There goes my summer in a brand new 997S!

See it as your second chance to think about the powerkit...

See what they say if you tell them that you want to change to Porsche Exclusive Custom Tailoring, and you'd like you interior done in Eastern Tibetan Whooping Yak hide, with Hairless Gerbil Tail piping.

Quote:
    SrfCity said:
    Strange. P just buy the seats from another source anyway. Where's the back up?

BTW, just noticed a couple of scratches on my passenger seat that were part of the hide.(cow scraped up against a barb wire fence?) Seems like rather poor quality control to me. Mechanically the car kicks @ss

Lear builds the seats, but Porsche upholsters them. They have to do the entire interior in closely related materials, or they would run into problems coordinating dye-lots of hides to ensure that the hides going on the seats are from the same dye lot as the hides used throughout the rest of the interior. Not a big deal for black, but Terracotta or Sand Beige is enormously touchy. Shades can differ ever-so-slightly from lot to lot.

Thes must be enough for your car I think It's a MY 2006 with bicolor leather I presume

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    See what they say if you tell them that you want to change to Porsche Exclusive Custom Tailoring, and you'd like you interior done in Eastern Tibetan Whooping Yak hide, with Hairless Gerbil Tail piping.

HAhaaahahhaa!

Quote:
    beltar said:
    Thes must be enough for your car I think It's a MY 2006 with bicolor leather I presume

LOL! This is a funny thread.

Fanch - Sorry to hear that news. All "full leather" 997's are being delayed ? Did I read that right ?

My cab w/ full leather is on the water. I guess they didn't plan on the % of full leather cars. Bet they regret offering $500 off the adaptive sport seats if you get a full leather interior.

Quote:
    Fanch - Sorry to hear that news. All "full leather" 997's are being delayed ? Did I read that right ?

Correct,
    That is so weird though, but seems it's true.
    Oh well, maybe it's a sign of destiny telling me to go for powerkit!

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Quote:

Correct,
    That is so weird though, but seems it's true.
    Oh well, maybe it's a sign of destiny telling me to go for powerkit!

Hmmmmmm. Tried to think of someway around it, to help you in some way but guess there's not much you can do (as you stated)..That sounds so strange that they cannot build full leather cars. In terms of 997 cabs that means only 2 months of customer production cars w/ Full Leather will be out there this summer.

I hear ya regarding just going for it with the power kit but if it were me and I couldn't get a car till September I would probably consider a newer 997 model. But that's because I don't intend to drive the car much after September. Maybe 3 months tops before the weather gets bad. Didn't I see somewhere on RENNTEAM today pics of the GT3, and didn't you say one time before that you would consider a GT3 instead of waiting for the power kit ? If you don't want to order a new car without specing it out exactly the way you'd like and I don't blaim you then maybe you should consider a pre-owned car that you could get right away (so you don't miss the Summer) and order something for September exactly the way you like. Or I were you wait just a little bit longer and get a Turbo or GT3. Frankly if I couldn't get a 997 S till the fall I wouldn't get a new one. Not with the GT3/Turbo/ Turbo cab. coming within such a close time period after. But I guess that really depends on how much car you want. Maybe the Turbo/GT3 really isn't you thing and the 997 S is the cats meow...In that case then I would spec. it out the way you want and go for that power kit.

Fanch,
    Do you know if this is also delaying production on the 987's? Or, as they are produced at Valmet, do you think the problem is just in Germany?

Thanks!

Nash

beltar,

Could you do a photoshop of that in sand beige?

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    beltar said:

LOL! This is a funny thread.

My cab w/ full leather is on the water. I guess they didn't plan on the % of full leather cars. Bet they regret offering $500 off the adaptive sport seats if you get a full leather interior.

LOL!!!! MOOOOO BABY...

bleh, the full leather interior option is stupid, i think the standard interior is very very good... the full leather almost seems too much... anyone agree?

Quote:
    AndrewSS said:
    bleh, the full leather interior option is stupid, i think the standard interior is very very good... the full leather almost seems too much... anyone agree?

Well I wouldn't call it stupid. Just different. I'm not getting full leather because the extra stitching lines bother me. I'm a clutter-hater and minimalist (fun to live with? No).

I don't think it's stupid, it's just one of those subjective things (like color choice) that some poeple HAVE to have and some would never get.

mcdelaug

Quote:
    AndrewSS said:

No not at all, would never consider a 911 without full leather, it's a rip off, but makes a big diference.
    Never been a fan of the leather simili plastic on the dash, sorry Ron!
    And that's not mentionning resale, I personally wouldn't look at a second hand 911 without leather. A GT3 is a different story but still...

that's really annoying.

when i ordered my first porsche about five years ago it was exactly the same story. i ordered it, everything was fine, dealer confirmed me one of the first cars of the new MY ('01 back then). then car was delayed for THREE months because of full leather kit.

IMHO they should have learned in the meantime that most customers opt for the full leather.

I kinda like the look of NATURAL COW. Black and white in all different patterns. Hey all you farmers out there, how long would the cow hair stay on the hyde with me riding it every day?
    I have a vision.
    Porsche could offer a Shampoo and Rinse and a set of combs and brushes to care for your hairy hyde. I like it!

Quote:
    Coffee said:
    I kinda like the look of NATURAL COW. Black and white in all different patterns. Hey all you farmers out there, how long would the cow hair stay on the hyde with me riding it every day?
    I have a vision.
    Porsche could offer a Shampoo and Rinse and a set of combs and brushes to care for your hairy hyde. I like it!

good idea for a new department in our shop...
    "Wash and brush my seats please whilst dying my hair "

Paying $80+ grand for a car with a vinyl and plastic interior, that could be called the same expletive that was used earlier. Part of the Porsche lure is craftsmanship and personalization. Otherwise, we should all drive cheap looking and cheaply assembled no-option Corvettes that go like hell. If you're so damn horny about function over form, buy a Lotus Elise and bounce down the highway all smug in how "serious" you are about performance. Otherwise, all the "I don't need a stereo, or leather, or air conditioning..." mumbo-jumbo to be nothing more than chest-puffing blather by wanna-be race car drivers. Funny, when I see an article or interviews showing F1 or GT drivers with their daily-driver street cars, they get theirs LOADED TO THE HILT!!!. The fellow who doesn't like all the stitching, while I don't agree, I can certainly respect. But "stupid"? Maybe to those a little too caught up in romanticism...

Quote:
    Coffee said:
    I have a vision.

here you go... We already started to comb the cows hair and to massage her body so that you get a perfect seat...
    One problem however "bella" is feelinng so great that she doesn't want to give her silky skin in before 2010... look here

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Quote:
    AndrewSS said:

No not at all, would never consider a 911 without full leather, it's a rip off, but makes a big diference.
    And that's not mentionning resale, I personally wouldn't look at a second hand 911 without leather. A GT3 is a different story but still...

I agree. Beside the great smell of new leather in a Porsche the leather makes the interior. I don't care for sitting on plastic and I don't care for looking at plastic (where there should be leather) in a $80k plus auto. I wouldn't consider a non-leather/plastic interior 996 and I definately wouldn't consider it in a 997. In the 997 it is much more obvious which cars have full leather and which do not.. The leather gives the car the high end look and feel that it deserves. IMO the nicest touch in the interior of the 997 is the leather stitch running along the dash and especially along the doors. I've seen a 997 without the leather on the doors and it just looks really plain/ Obviously plastic.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Quote:
    AndrewSS said:

I agree. Beside the great smell of new leather in a Porsche the leather makes the interior. I don't care for sitting on plastic and I don't care for looking at plastic (where there should be leather) in a $80k plus auto. I wouldn't consider a non-leather/plastic interior 996 and I definately wouldn't consider it in a 997. In the 997 it is much more obvious which cars have full leather and which do not.. The leather gives the car the high end look and feel that it deserves. IMO the nicest touch in the interior of the 997 is the leather stitch running along the dash and especially along the doors. I've seen a 997 without the leather on the doors and it just looks really plain/ Obviously plastic.

Mine has the full leather interior option, can someone post a pic of one without? just so that we can compare

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763789 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436140 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260885 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257846 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82577 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876561 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808507 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM