Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Caymans weight is no surprise...

Yes, conventional wisdom is that open top cars normally weigh more than their fixed top siblings. But, that is normally because the open top cars are made by taking the roof off the closed top car. With this roofectomy, a lot of metal needs to be added to the chassis to make up for the loss of chassis stiffness when the roof was removed. This added metal, along with the top mechanism adds up to more weight than was removed with the roof.

As the Boxster was designed as an open top car from the beginning, with all the necessary stiffness already built into the chassis, it makes perfect sense that adding a roof, with a hatch and a large back window, along with the fancier finishing of the cargo area, would yeild a similar overall weight. I am surprised that they kept it as close to the weight of the Boxster! They must have removed a lot of the Boxsters "easily removable" chassis stiffeners in order to accomplish this. But, not to worry, the addition of that roof will provide bank vault solidity.

Re: Caymans weight is no surprise...

Makes sense technically...but why pay a premium for a car heavier car with a fixed-roof? must be the only car on the market like this...Ah yeah...quicker on track even than base 997...sure not an argument for all potential buyers...

Quote:
    Jeannot said:
    Makes sense technically...but why pay a premium for a car heavier car with a fixed-roof? must be the only car on the market like this...Ah yeah...quicker on track even than base 997...sure not an argument for all potential buyers...

Good point, end of the day, I am puzzled too as to whether that car will be a success, I wish so for Porsche.
    It is mostly destined at sporty drivers no doubt.
    I believe most potential buyers will rather go for a nice used 911 as opposed to a well specced Cayman S if they don't mind the fact the car is second hand.

In this week's Autocar the UK price has been announced at Pounds43,800. Thats Pounds5,000 more than a Boxster S or Pounds3,500 more than a Boxster S with a hardtop. For a car that is only 0.1 seconds faster 0-60mph and 3 mph higher top speed. I could understand the appeal of the Cayman if it was on a par price wise with the Boxster - marginally taughter handling and a bit quicker as a trade against the open top. But at that price difference - no way.

i maybe go for the 35k version...haha as the article scan said a 35k one is coming soon..

thats a little bit money than the 987 ..but dont know how well it will perform...

Maybe we just look at it the wrong way. Maybe Porsche sees this as a competitor to the TTs, 350Z...something with a fixed roof..but for customers who won't go 911. So they had to fit the car in the current range.
    It'll attract new customers and while us are totally confused about this model, it *may* make sense if you are out on the market and look for a small sporty coupe...
    I have nothing against this car. It's nice, and I am sure it is fun to drive etc. But 911s are MORE beautiful andve and fun to drive AHEM...YES !!!
    Good luck to Porsche with this one...At this price we can't say it dilutes the image of our beloved brand..and extra money will make better products accross the range. So we hope :-)

Quote:
    Jeannot said:
    But 911s are MORE beautiful andve and fun to drive AHEM...YES !!!

You must be one lucky guy if you have driven the Cayman already

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Quote:
    Jeannot said:

Good point, end of the day, I am puzzled too as to whether that car will be a success, I wish so for Porsche.
    It is mostly destined at sporty drivers no doubt.
    I believe most potential buyers will rather go for a nice used 911 as opposed to a well specced Cayman S if they don't mind the fact the car is second hand.

From what I can assess Porsche has gotten itself into making quick money strategy. Look at the Cayenne which was brand new and made money and now the sales is pretty much has halted.

With the Cayman I believe Porsche will make some quick money initially but in long run it'll slow down tremendously; I think they have chosen a wrong path by using this kind of quick money making strategy.

Another obvious indication that Porsche needs to make money through their real business (Car Manufacturing) is how quickly they're introducing the new product lines; last year at this time was the 997 and 997S and in almost less than a year they introduced the cab versions, C4, C4S, 987, and 987S. The GT3 is also right around the corner too.

May be the CEO is trying to make the company look good before he departs in 2007 and afterwards who cares what happens to the company .

Porsche needs to get their act together or they'll be in trouble after their money hedging expires which happens to be around the same time the CEO contract expires .

Porsche seems to me has become like another '.com' company of late '90s and it's at verge of bursting. Just my 2 cents.

Quote:
    Jeannot said:
    Maybe we just look at it the wrong way. Maybe Porsche sees this as a competitor to the TTs, 350Z...something with a fixed roof..but for customers who won't go 911. So they had to fit the car in the current range.
    It'll attract new customers and while us are totally confused about this model, it *may* make sense if you are out on the market and look for a small sporty coupe...
    I have nothing against this car. It's nice, and I am sure it is fun to drive etc. But 911s are MORE beautiful andve and fun to drive AHEM...YES !!!
    Good luck to Porsche with this one...At this price we can't say it dilutes the image of our beloved brand..and extra money will make better products accross the range. So we hope :-)

The Cayman as it sits at $60k is not a competitor to the Audi TT, 350Z, etc. If it was $40-$50k maybe, but most people looking at an Audi TT, 350, G35, Crossfire, etc. will not pay $20-$30k more for it. The only true competitors it may have will be the M3 (E46 and new E90), Lotus Elise, Corvette, and maybe other Porsches. Of those it will hold it's own handling wise, but won't be any sort of a standout in the acceleration area....in fact it may be the slowest of the group.....but the most expensive.

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Quote:
    Jeannot said:Porsche needs to get their act together or they'll be in trouble after their money hedging expires which happens to be around the same time the CEO contract expires .

Funny these statements re. FX hedging. Obviously people don't have a clue how it works... but still everybody has an opinion.
    If the FX hedge expires, you simply extend it, it's that simple

Cayman S (2,948 lbs) weighs less than Boxster S (2,965 lbs). The article says Cayman S weighs 5kg more than Boxster (non-S)...

Quote:
    Zürich said:
    Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Quote:
    Jeannot said:Porsche needs to get their act together or they'll be in trouble after their money hedging expires which happens to be around the same time the CEO contract expires .

Funny these statements re. FX hedging. Obviously people don't have a clue how it works... but still everybody has an opinion.
    If the FX hedge expires, you simply extend it, it's that simple

The point is that with this economy why would they want to extend it when they won't make any money doing so, right?

I think the Cayman is similar to the M Coupe that BMW built on the old Z3/MZ3 platform. It was the same weight (roughly, compared to the MZ3), yet it was hands down the better performance drive. Why? chassis stiffnes. Yes, the Boxster is a stiffer chassis than the Z3 ever was, but it's still no substitute for a good coupe. This thing is going to be rock solid, with suspension tuning to match. Shoudl make for a cracking driver's car. Those who value wind in their hair need not apply

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Cayman S (2,948 lbs) weighs less than Boxster S (2,965 lbs). The article says Cayman S weighs 5kg more than Boxster (non-S)...

Thats a good thing, I guess, although minor, it does make it seem a little more acceptable even if it were to be 1 pound lighter. So the boxster s proabably weighs more than the regular boxster, right?

Quote:
    dsts6 said:So the boxster s proabably weighs more than the regular boxster, right?

Correct

Quote:
    stiles_s said:
    I think the Cayman is similar to the M Coupe that BMW built on the old Z3/MZ3 platform. It was the same weight (roughly, compared to the MZ3), yet it was hands down the better performance drive. Why? chassis stiffnes. Yes, the Boxster is a stiffer chassis than the Z3 ever was, but it's still no substitute for a good coupe. This thing is going to be rock solid, with suspension tuning to match. Shoudl make for a cracking driver's car. Those who value wind in their hair need not apply

I hope for Porsche that they sell more Cayman than BMW did sell Z3 Coupes

The Z3 coupe never really took off, it's a shame bc it an awesome car! Miles better than its cab sibling.
    Controversial styling when it came out, but now it's a classic and it's cheap too.
    Great car and kuddos to BMW!
    So there you go, we were wrong, Porsche is not the 1st one to have released a coupe after the cab and being more expensive too.
    Mind you, it wasn't a success.

Fanch - Are you sure it was more expensive? I thought the roadster was more. The M Coupe was a great driver's car, but it was very nervous on the limit (great accuracy like a slot-car until the limit). Once you lost traction, it was difficult to throttle steer and control in a slide. It was was because they were using the rear suspension from the E30 3 series instead of the multi-link rear of the contemporary E36. I think the multi-link rear of the 987 will be much better suited for aggressive driving than the M Coupe was...

The M3 Coupe was a disaster. Besides the E30 suspension wich was awful in any off camber decreasing radius curve,
    the structural design of the car made it have less hp than the sedan due to how the exhust pipes had to be routed.

But it did have the same '60's mustang like ugly dashboard!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM