Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: GT4RS

Gnil:

I have done now 800 km, so still braking in the car. 

A few impressions :

The ride is less harsh then in my former 991.2 GT3RS. Suspensions are softer, less jumpy on highway or even roads. They do get rough on bumpy or very uneven tarmac. 

The sound/noice : Very interesting as you are able to play with it. The intake noise is the main sound. And that can be controlled by how much pressure you put on the throttle. You can make lots of noise at 3500 rpm, and not at all at 5000 rpm if you wish to. Just keep the throttle light and then you get no noise intake. Push harder on the throttle and the sound is instant.  So driving on the highway is actually less noisy then in my former 991.2 GT3 Rs with WP. That car was very loud on long distances, as with the WP you had no insulation underneath the seats and you would get a noise resonance in the cabine which made me wear ear plugs on the long highways journeys to avoid arriving at destination feeling like this : heart  .  With the GT4RS you can actually cruise at 130 km/h with hardly any noise. 

For extra tactile sensations : put your hand on the air box and push the throttle . You feel all the vibrations coming through your hand. Any little bit of air sucked trough the air intakes is instantly transformed into vibrations you can feel under your hand. Quite an experience blush

@ Grant : the gear box is now starting to make some very little mechanical noises. I hope the'll increase with more milage. 

Generally this car feels like a ball of muscles. Neutrally balanced . Very agile. 

Love the new avatar buddy!!

You initial impressions are exactly how I envisioned a 4RS would be like. The best street/track car Porsche ever made up until now. (Not counting the new 3RS, that's a track/street car)

It is a extremely well behave car, body control is excellent over roads. GT3, even with double wishbones, got noting on the 4RS for agility just because of the mid engine layout. 

There is really no point in getting a GT3 if one can get a GT4RS. Unless someone is stuck on a 911 body, or manual transmission. There is nothing a 992 GT3 can do that the GT4RS cannot do better. I knew that fact since 4 years ago. 

In a GT4RS, you will leave just about any Porsche in the dust in any roads short of the new GT3RS. I would be had press to get you your tail if I follow you in a 918. A 918 cost a lot more I would be struggling to go even 9/10th or even 8/10th to follow you. And it takes a lot out of a guy in a 911, aka a GT3 to follow just because of the quirks of driving a rear engine car. Some can do it, most cannot. 

--

But that's the appeal of the 911 isnt it? 

If you can "do it" of or course....

:-)

--

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2022 Toyota GR Yaris, 2021 992 GT3, 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia QV, 2009 Lotus Elise SC

Whoopsy:

You initial impressions are exactly how I envisioned a 4RS would be like. The best street/track car Porsche ever made up until now. (Not counting the new 3RS, that's a track/street car)

It is a extremely well behave car, body control is excellent over roads. GT3, even with double wishbones, got noting on the 4RS for agility just because of the mid engine layout. 

I keep finding myself way too close to the inside of the corners as that car turns in so quickly. I am used to have to ''force'' the car into the corners. With the 911 setup the car wants to go straight.  Big difference with this mid engine. The car just turns in at a slight movement of the steering wheel. Makes it so agile. This car, on public roads is for sure more ''fun'' then the 3RS. It does not need as much pushing to start to feel something.  Faster ? I don't know . Not yet for me .

Ease of entry into corners (natural turn-in without need for preparation) but the traction on exit offered by a 911 is addictive.

I've never owned Porsche GT cars but the Boxster/Cayman behaviour compared to the Carrera is a good analogous guideline.

Nevertheless, congratulations to Porsche for perfecting the 911 so much as to allow a 500 PS Cayman to exist without fear of losing (significant) sales from the more expensive model.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

Gnil:
    Whoopsy:

I keep finding myself way too close to the inside of the corners as that car turns in so quickly. I am used to have to ''force'' the car into the corners. With the 911 setup the car wants to go straight.  Big difference with this mid engine. The car just turns in at a slight movement of the steering wheel. Makes it so agile. This car, on public roads is for sure more ''fun'' then the 3RS. It does not need as much pushing to start to feel something.  Faster ? I don't know . Not yet for me .

Similar effect with the new double-wishbones and super-fast steering rack on the 992 GT3/RS now too (but naturally, still some rear vs mid behavior differences)...

--

22 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 18 GT3 Manual, 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

reginos:

the traction on exit offered by a 911 is addictive.

I fully agree. Once the car sits in the corner, you feel you are embedded in the road. Such a good feeling . Smiley

Grant:
    Similar effect with the new double-wishbones and super-fast steering rack on the 992 GT3/RS now too (but naturally, still some rear vs mid behavior differences)...

--

22 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 18 GT3 Manual, 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Best of both worlds 

Yesterday

21F5E2E6-6859-4BF9-A9D8-34202B17999C.jpeg

That does serve to highlight how old the platform actually is, to see that binnacle. Doesn't take anything away from the car, but funny to see on a newly launched car in 2022. smiley

--

1988 Peugeot 205 Rallye / 2004 Porsche 996 GT3 RS  / 2018 Mercedes-AMG E63 S / 2020 Ferrari 812SF

It is actually from 2015, no ?  But it is nice to still have proper dials. 

@ Gauss: You must be glad that is over. I can only imagine the sound at 9k. Me currently about 850km and rev to 6k. The car is in the workshop this week for a PPF. 

You know that you can add a line in the settings ( for example battery level ) on your right dial under the oil pressure .

How are you finding the car ?  

Gauss, you need some petrol by the look of it. Remember, its not electric Smiley, yet Smiley

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

991 GT3.2 pick up April/May 2018. ( Hairy Chest Spec ).

Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 Exclusive pick up June 2013. ( Shit Box )

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

I'm glad that it doesn't have a digital dash yet. I have that in my daily. I love the analog dials and also the fact that I can still put in a physical "key" and turn it, unlike in the 992.

The car feels very nimble and with more than enough power. The thing I like most about besides the engine is its compact size.

The sound at 8-9k is becoming very metallic... It's not much louder than at 7k but when you keep driving at higher revs over a longer period of time, like on track (or fast on the Autobahn), you definitely need a helmet or some other kind of ear protection.

There's also a lot more brake dust than with my former 991.2 GT3.

I'll be going to Manthey for a setup next. A member from a german forum is reporting Front +1 and -2,8° / Rear +2 and -2,3°

Does this car have steel brake lines? If not, I might add those. Also not sure if I should continue with the OEM brake pads or upgrade to Manthey's PM1 yes

@throt Petrol tank is filled up, thank God it's not electric, the sound is intoxicating kiss

@Gnil, are you wrapping the whole car, or just the front? Xpel Ultimate? I'm still on the fence... I'm afraid there might be a deviation in paint colour where the film has been applied vs where it hasn't (in a couple of years due to sun uv radiation), unless you wrap the whole car.

IMG_5972 (2).png

also saw this on Sunday, my childhood poster Smiley

9A878DC4-8B02-4731-B9E4-E0B38D33350B.jpeg

I like also to have a proper key. Really dislike the key less cars. Prone to make more errors. 

The sound in this car is epic. Note does change a lot with different throttle input. 

I have heard somewhere that brake pads had to change their components as one got banned in CA to fight brake dust pollution. Maybe it is due to this ?

I will be doing the Manthey set up too. But probably only next spring. In October I am going to Monza, don't want any extra downforce for that track.

This car does probably not have steel brake lines ( think they are maybe semi-steel). I had mine changed in my former 3RS when Manthey suggested me to do it.

I will upgrade my pads. You get a getter bite with others.  I tried the Manthey ( they are made by Pagid) , but my preference are the PFC 

I am only wrapping the  front and some of the side . Standard did not include the doors, but I asked to have all the part beneath the door handle done too as worried stones would hit the door because of the cut out in the front fender.  Yes, Xpel.

Not sure about the paint change in a few years. Think it got better. But this PPF thing remains very debatable. I used to accept the stone chips and just respray if needed. Since my last car, I used PPF.  No stone chips but after a while you could see line (of dirt) where the PPF stoped. 

To add,

My 991.1, no PPF.

My 991.2, I have the "track pack" coverage, which protects - all of the front from and including the mirrors, leading edge above front window screen, the length of the bottom of each door which is about 6 inches deep and I told my guy to take the factory film off the rear hips to have a much more bigger pair applied.

The quality of fitment is absolute key, they vary so much. Some cowboys will catch and score your paintwork with cutting blades, "beware"

Next car, would definite have the same again.

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

991 GT3.2 pick up April/May 2018. ( Hairy Chest Spec ).

Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 Exclusive pick up June 2013. ( Shit Box )

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

Ah PPF applications.

Film manufacturers started producing pre-cuts a while ago and everyone and their mother are doing that. Generally fits well, but not the best. Also depends on the film maker to have the proper scan and template.

The best would be free hand with a roll. But that requires the most skill. As throt mentioned, less skilled personal could cut into the paint with the razor. 

I have had both. When I wrap my 918 8 years ago, there was no template no nothing. My guy spent about 10 days wrapping it from scratch. Outside and most of inside on the expose carbon. He even use thicker film for my door sills as shoes also get dragged over it. It looks perfect still, no dirt line no thing.

Fast forward a few years. When I did my Exclusive I went to a different shop, the other was super busy. This time they used the template pre-cuts. The films 'mostly' fit well, not perfect by any means, but good enough. And if I don't wash it properly there will be dirt lines. 

Other cars I can't be bothered to cover it. Not even the pink Taycan. it can be resprayed later if I feel like it. 

--

Congrats to the new GT4 RS owners! wink Fantastic looking cars that you have picked up. Enjoy!

I certainly need to book a test drive. Very tempting. Is the rumored RS Spyder coming at some point?

Race on rebels! indecision

bluelines:

Is the rumored RS Spyder coming at some point?

It seems to be just around the corner. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

I wonder if Spyder RS would be even harder to get one....and if the air intake sound would be different because of the air intake locations. 

d997h:
    blueflame:

After spending some time in the configurator - IMO the best config for the GT4RS is a stripper with Clubsport and no PCCB and no Weissach for around 142K€…everything else is way to close to the big brother GT3.

This would be my choice for this car, but I guess we won‘t see many of these at trackdays, just Weissach cars…and Porsche is very happy with that…smiley.

Blueflame

well, I configured the sports seats and seat heating and front lift ... I guess I am perhaps too soft / too old for such a car ...but, IMO nothing beats seat heating after a track day on your way home ... Smiley

I prefer a white stripper. But I spec-ed a black stripper so it’s cheaper to wrap another color. Isn’t the WP just an alcantera and CF appearance package?

maybe the CF sway bars do something but the air box is the same just CF look, or CF?

No PTS unless WP abut I don’t want to delay the car again like my Irish green GT4 still sitting waiting for me at the factory. Build date moved from November 2032 to February 2023 for the GT4RS so I have time to change the build.

E752923D-B17D-4009-8F24-1275A714B910.jpeg

I ordered black stripper with Aurum wheels, maybe just wrap it green…

Awesome spec, a wonderful and a unique GT product. Enjoy her in good health. Smiley @Gnill & @Gauss

--

ONUR

991.1 Carrera S Cabriolet / 958 Cayenne Diesel / W207 E250

718 Spyder PDK (Loading…)

458 italia (Gone but not forgotten)

Sunday morning in the Eifel.

IMG_6155.png

The calm before the storm. Track still closed due to fog.

IMG_6153.png

Whats your take on it in comparison to a GT3?    What about a standard GT4?

Nice, Gauss kiss

--

Beautiful photos kiss  Any new comments about the car ?

Amazing photos Joel! Have fun!

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Yes, the more I drive it, the more I like it. Surprise surprise  

I loved the GT3, however, I think I love this one more, because a) I prefer mid-engined cars, b) it's my first RS (yay indecision), and c) it's such a special package, maybe also d) the first and the last of its kind.

I've learned that the Manthey setup is not yet featured in the Tequipment program so I would lose the Approved warranty. It will be added in the next months I suppose, so I will wait until next season. 

As for a direct comparison with the GT3, it's like Gnil already mentioned, the GT4RS is very agile, very eager to turn in, lots of fun through twisty corners, while the GT3 gets the power easier down when you exit the corner. Both fantastic machines. Almost the same chassis. I find the 4RS rides a bit harsher than the GT3, but the GT3 RS is maybe even more from what I hear. 

I wanted the PCCB brakes, for a change as I've never had a Porsche with them.... but I'm very satisfied with the bite of the steel on the 4RS. They are almost the size of the PCCB anyway.

The sound inside is very diverse throughout the whole range, it changes quite a bit. You can't properly talk after around 130 kph, it takes some effort.

I've grown a bit weary of the monotonous and loud sound on the Autobahn, so I'm trailering the car there now, and I'm only 140 km away, mind you... 

I've never been a fan of the shape of the 718, but the 4RS has so many added bits here and there, that the design has grown on me and I like it very much. The photos on the internet are all distorted and in reality the car has a mean presence. It attracts a lot of attention. People come to me wherever I park the car and we talk. I've not had a single bad experience with the car yet. It's awesome! This one will be a keeper for sure. kiss

Btw, the Spyder RS is coming out soon. 

Thanks for sharing your impressions, seems like a fantastic and unique package, that is so great to hear, I I'm very happy for the owners here, many congrats!wink

Gauss:

I've learned that the Manthey setup is not yet featured in the Tequipment program so I would lose the Approved warranty. It will be added in the next months I suppose, so I will wait until next season. 

I was in contact with Manthey earlier this week about trying to find an appointment to make their magic on my car.

They suggested I do the upgrade kit for more camber. No mention on loosing any warranty. 

Otherwise you can just their  alignment maximizing all tolerances. This has nothing to do with warranty or not. It is part of the car's set up possibilities. 

I've booked an appointment on the 4th of October for the same setup. kiss Next season they will release the big upgrade kit with new suspension ... I'm very interested in that one, because the GT4 RS is rather nervous out of the box (on the Nordschleife) it jumps around a lot... I think the GT3(RS) rides quite a bit more stable on the Ring.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690681 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409896 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256093 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235344 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65726 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858614 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774845 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM