Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Cayman Posibilities

Let's begin some interesting discussions on Cayman as opposed to bashing this car.

I personally think this car looks really good from every angle that I look at it. But what I'm trying to discuss here is the possibilities that this car will offer as a performance point of view.

This car already sports the 3.4 engine which could be possibly the same reworked engine from the first series 911 (996 MK I). With variocam plus, this car can easily out perform the 911 996 series at least MK I; 997 Carrera is questionable and it will fall short for sure.

However with this engine at the disposal of Tunners such as RUF and all others you can see the viable options Cayman will offer to end users.

Even though some of us think that Cayman was a mistake to be placed between 911 and Boxster, I believe it will generate customers from both ends some Boxster owners and some 911 owners.

I think in long run this car will position itself as one of the viable benchmarks for other manufacturer as all others compare their cars to 911 they'll be others that will compare their flagship cars to Cayman.

Any comments?

Re: Cayman Posibilities

Agreed....I think it will also attact people that stayed away from the rear-engined models (for whatever reason) and are looking for a mid-engined, neutral handling car that is a coupe. Think of it as Porsche's version of the NSX.....

Quote:
    964C2 said:
    Agreed....I think it will also attact people that stayed away from the rear-engined models (for whatever reason) and are looking for a mid-engined, neutral handling car that is a coupe. Think of it as Porsche's version of the NSX.....

Interesting comparison (NSX) and the only one so far which makes the Cayman's price look reasonable. I guess the only place the Cayman falls short in the comparison is the high-tech lightweight all-aluminum body of the NSX. Also, I think the NSX has LSD tranny standard - I hope it's at least an option for the US Cayman. Otherwise the performance is probably in the same league...

I agree with pretty much everything you've written Ron.
    I actually love the car too.
    Not too sure about the round fog lights but that's about it. Plus it actually gives the car a strong identity even though I'm not a fan.
    Now what bugs me is the performance, I know 0 to 100 kmh is not significant, I'm looking forward to the 0 to 200 kmh figure, but Porsche claims it's quicker only 0.1 sec compared to the Boxster, I think this is very conservative.
    The press shall find out soon enough hopefully.
    Now re its future, I think it'll do well and once again, I agree with you that it will draw potential costumers of both 987 and 997.
    I also think it should not be a big issue to fit a 997 engine in there so I'm looking for some pretty amazing stuff from Ruf etc.
    But mostly looking forward to an RS version!

I've even heard some rumors about the cayman becoming the flagship sportscar... check the first post: http://www.flat-6.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13647&page=3

Better in the 997
    -Higher output engines--BUT-> the cayman could get more hp too
    -Still looks better IMO. You could maybe get tired of the looks of the cayman while 911's lines are timeless--BUT->beauty is in the eye of the beholder??
    -Practicality: back seats are small but still pretty good to carry stuff--BUT-> cayman's rear window gadget is fine too

Better in the cayman:
    -Mid engined and thus better balanced with all the consequences.
    -Price?? A lot of people has criticised the price but performance wise I think it's pretty good.

sth more someone?

Let's face it, the cayman could outperform the 911 if porsche wanted it to do so but is that extra performance worth all the years on the back of the 911 when it's still the best in it's class?

ok, heres the good news...

1. Electric Hybrid Cayman. The Caymans increased luggage capacity over the standard Boxster could be used to fit
    the Lexus Hybrid system from the Cayenne.

2. The US base price of a Cayman S is $59,950 USD. When Porsche introduces the 997 911 with a 3.4 liter engine and a base price of $63,950, shoppers will get a choice of 2
    3.4 liter Porsches.

3. Cayman 904GTS Limited Edition. Rectangular driving lights, steel wheels with chome trim rings, no A/C,
    decontendted interior. Special badge on trunk lid.
    Price of $69,950.

I like the concept of a mid engine coupe. When Porsche releases a version of the Cayman S with sports suspension, LSD, 19 inch wheels,sport seats and sport exhaust, its own gear ratios, 997 gauges and 300hp,I will order one.

And when Weidiking is replaced with someone who actually likes sports cars, I see a great future for the Cayman!

I wonder what RUF would charge to drop in a 3.6 GT3 motor??

I don't like the Cayman too much because in my opinion, it has been created to be a "money making machine", not the lightweight fun racer people have hoped for. It is also interesting how Porsche tries to create a historical and traditional "bond" to those famous Porsche models they advertise with in their Cayman ads.
    I mean c'mon, what did the Boxster EVER have to do with the 550 in the past?

The Cayman may be a very good sports car and a nice car to drive and have fun with. But I just can't help it...it feels like a rip-off. A little bit Boxster here, a little bit 911 there, a little bit tradition here and there and voila, we have a Cayman. That's not enough in my opinion.

And believe it or not: I liked Carlos' Boxster RS prototype much more, can't help it.

Quote:
    RC said:
    I don't like the Cayman too much because in my opinion, it has been created to be a "money making machine", not the lightweight fun racer people have hoped for. It is also interesting how Porsche tries to create a historical and traditional "bond" to those famous Porsche models they advertise with in their Cayman ads.
    I mean c'mon, what did the Boxster EVER have to do with the 550 in the past?

The Cayman may be a very good sports car and a nice car to drive and have fun with. But I just can't help it...it feels like a rip-off. A little bit Boxster here, a little bit 911 there, a little bit tradition here and there and voila, we have a Cayman. That's not enough in my opinion.

And believe it or not: I liked Carlos' Boxster RS prototype much more, can't help it.

Its not the "sports machine" they said it was going to be, but it is a "profit machine"

As for it turning in lap times a hair slightly better than a Carrera, maybe a Boxster with the same engine would match that.

IMO this car is designed to do two things:
    1: Make the most profit in the Boxster segment and actually adding a new dimension to the segment. Honestly, what cars would be able to compete with the Cayman - other than their own Boxster?
    Wiedeking may be a lot of things, but he's shown on several occasions that he has a fine nose for new markets. Dont be surprised if this car will be precieved as the hottest thing since pretzels.

2: Act as a "toe in the bathwater". If this mid-engine 911/Boxster clone catches on, maybe Porsche will have a new platform as a replacement or direct sister to the 911.
    The 911 is a proof that you CAN beat the laws of nature, but perhaps Porsche is looking for a way of making sure they have a layout that will work 10 years from now, when the competition and demands are even greater?
    Maybe Porsche knows that a rear-end engine layout has its limits when demands rise.
    Maybe the mid-engine design of the cayman/Boxster will take over the 911's spot, maybe the CGT will serve as important input and learnings to that process?
    You can be a die-hard 911 fan, but Porsche didn't make their most advanced car a rear-engine car. I think it's a matter of time before Porsche goes mid-engine thru-out their sportscar line-up.
    Trouble is they have to replace an almost irreplaceable and indispensable model in the process.
    Is the 911 the heart of Porsche, or would Porsche prevail and perhaps do even better without it?
    Unthinkable?
    Gimme your thoughts.

Le Doc

If we're talking about possibilities, i'd REALLY like to see a flat-8 Cayman GTS

Heh, daydreaming...(actually nightdreaming, since it's 2AM here)

The whole enchilada. The Future? Porsche will debut its next entirely new 911 the Porsche 998, in 2009. Engine wise, the 998 will have Cayenne derived V8 engines tuned to 400+hp stock and 500+hp in turbo form. Also the 998 will have more standard features than 997 models to offset its significantly increased price. The 998 GT3 will work with the Porsche Cayenne derived American Le Mans Series (ALMS) engine. Also the Porsche Cayman and Boxster will continue the excellent flat-6 tradition. Look for the Cayman RS to continue the 997 GT3 engine. The 4-tier Porsche Line-up: 4-door (executive driver - V8), 998 (GT - V8), Cayman/Boxster (sports/entry - flat-six), and the Cayenne (SUV - V8).

Quote:
    GT3Dominic said:
    The whole enchilada. The Future? Porsche will debut its next entirely new 911 the Porsche 998, in 2009. Engine wise, the 998 will have Cayenne derived V8 engines tuned to 400+hp stock and 500+hp in turbo form. Also the 998 will have more standard features than 997 models to offset its significantly increased price. The 998 GT3 will work with the Porsche Cayenne derived American Le Mans Series (ALMS) engine. Also the Porsche Cayman and Boxster will continue the excellent flat-6 tradition. Look for the Cayman RS to continue the 997 GT3 engine. The 4-tier Porsche Line-up: 4-door (executive driver - V8), 998 (GT - V8), Cayman/Boxster (sports/entry - flat-six), and the Cayenne (SUV - V8).

So your saying the 911 will go midengine. Cause I dont think you can fit v8s in the 911 the way it is. It would have to be a flat 8 at anything I think...

"So your saying the 911 will go midengine. Cause I dont think you can fit v8s in the 911 the way it is. It would have to be a flat 8 at anything I think..."

There is plenty of room to install a V8 engine in a 997.
    People have been doing it for years with previous 911s.

oh,...
    well wouldn't a bigger engine add more weight to the back and make it less balanced?

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    I like the concept of a mid engine coupe. When Porsche releases a version of the Cayman S with sports suspension, LSD, 19 inch wheels,sport seats and sport exhaust, its own gear ratios, 997 gauges and 300hp,I will order one.

I completely agree. But that vehicle would be an even more serious threat to the 911, and Porsche can't have that. I suspect the only reason the Cayman S is "allowed" to have performance similar to the base 997 is that at its current pricing the profit margin for the Cayman S and base 997 are very similar.

Some part of me dislikes the fact that Porsche won't build the very best mid engined coupe they can (like the car Jim imagines with even the 3.8l engine), price it so the profit margin is identical (or even higher) than that of the 911 and let the 911 fight for its own turf. As currently offered, the Cayman is an unfulfilled promise, an excellent concept intentionally crippled to preserve the 911's position at the top of Porsche's marketing chain.

The idea of a mid-engine car like the Cayman with a twin turbo 8 cylinder (Porsche already has the Cayenne 4.5l TT V8) would make Ferrari tremble and would be a fabulous car for even 130K. Surely someone inside Porsche dreams of building the very best car the Boxster/Cayman platform could support. Maybe the same kind of clear thinking people that got the Carrera GT through production?

mcdelaug

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:If this mid-engine 911/Boxster clone catches on, maybe Porsche will have a new platform as a replacement or direct sister to the 911.
    The 911 is a proof that you CAN beat the laws of nature, but perhaps Porsche is looking for a way of making sure they have a layout that will work 10 years from now, when the competition and demands are even greater?
    Maybe Porsche knows that a rear-end engine layout has its limits when demands rise.
    Maybe the mid-engine design of the cayman/Boxster will take over the 911's spot, maybe the CGT will serve as important input and learnings to that process?
    You can be a die-hard 911 fan, but Porsche didn't make their most advanced car a rear-engine car. I think it's a matter of time before Porsche goes mid-engine thru-out their sportscar line-up.
    Trouble is they have to replace an almost irreplaceable and indispensable model in the process.
    Is the 911 the heart of Porsche, or would Porsche prevail and perhaps do even better without it?
    Unthinkable?
    Gimme your thoughts.

Le Doc

Dr Phil I think this is EXACTLY what Porsche struggles with when they think about their strategy for the next 10-15 years.

The physics of the mid-engine layout mean it has greater potential for performance evolution than that of a rear-engine car. Hence the CGT's layout. I agree with your argument about the CGT being a signal of Porsche's future. They WILL leverage what they learned building that vehicle into other products. The Cayman may well be the "embryo" from which those products eventually evolve. If the 911 didn't exist, I think the Cayman would be a much higher performance vehicle NOW, proabably with many of the same model variants that are currently offered for the 911 (turbo, GT3/RS, etc) being available now or in the next 1-2 years. The 911, while highly profitable and prestigous, is an albatross as far as development of Porsche's other products are concerned.

Personally I think Porsche's best course of action is to develop both the 911 and Cayman lines independently, allowing each to have the model variants that Porsche thinks they can sell, but "link" them through the "performance vs profit" curve. If the profit per vehcile is the same, does Porsche really care if its a Cayman or 911? Some people will always be more interested in the rear engine 911 (4 seats, tradition, styling, etc) and some would want a mid-engine layout, and ultimately, a higher performance envelope. Both can coexist, but Porsche needs to envision and market an entire line of Camyan variants at prices similar to the 911's if the mid-engine platform is to reach its full potential. Maybe this is already their plan and we are simply starting with what we have now, the detuned 295hp Cayman S. We'll see.

And yes, I'm aware that the CGT is already the summit of mid engine perfromance, but as a limited edition supercar it's not really a part of their future production plans.

mcdelaug

Would be nice to have happen but I'm not holding my breath.

I think we will sooner see some kid on ebay who has transmorgified a Cayman into a GT1 look complete with snorkel, CGT headlights and fake center lock wheels.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689621 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409265 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255766 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235004 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65527 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4649 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858022 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774074 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM