Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Must have options?

Hey all,
    I am wondering what is the most economical options for the a carrera, the options that will not lose money on if i sell the car in two years. any input will be appreciated. Thanks

Re: Must have options?

You'll probably lose money on any options. So that shouldn't determine what options to get. Get it if you really want them.

It depends on where in the US you are located but some of the options that you will lose less money on. Rate--imo.

1)Sports Chrono
    2)Full leather
    3)Heated Seats
    4)Sport Seats/ Adaptive sport seats
    5)BOSE
    6)Navigation

If this is for a base 997 then I'm not as fimilar but guess PASM and Xenon's would be the most important.

IMHO this is a silly concern to have.

As far as options are concerned just get what you want and know you will enjoy having (within reason).

Keep in mind car ownership is about losing money!

What a drag, a sad way to live, you decide to treat yourself by going to the ice cream stand and you make yourself buy one fewer scoop because you want to save money!

just my opinion.

ur spending 70k+ already on a car.. u might as well get excatly what u want.

IMO any option u want is a must have..

For me its:
    Sport Chrono
    Sport Shifter
    Sport Exhaust
    Bose Audio
    Sport Seats
    and hopefully by the time i order the car ill be able to get -20 mm suspension

Quote:
    MMD said:

What a drag, a sad way to live, you decide to treat yourself by going to the ice cream stand and you make yourself buy one fewer scoop because you want to save money!

just my opinion.

Well said MMD.... I love it when people put expensive toys and economical together in the same sentence

Quote:
    MMD said:

As far as options are concerned just get what you want and know you will enjoy having (within reason).

just my opinion.

LOl, i guess i am just trying to buy the car the smartest way i can. I have 4 cars in my garage, and i change car every 4 years. I know that i should not be worrying about that but if you know that you would lose money on something, i think my business instinct is to not let that go.

Well, i guess I should specify my question a little bit more. WHat options put in the car will make the car even more desirable?

Just my opinion....
    Cut it off when you hit your budget...

1) Make it an 'S'. The 'S' option package is worth every cent.

2) Make it full leather.

3) Sport Chrono. With it on, it is a different car. It is like having two cars in one.

3a) Adaptive sports seats. They fit like a glove and are really comfortable. (Make them heated as well.)

4) Bose Stereo. Not great, but not bad either.

5) Colored wheel crests. It just finishes the look of the wheels.

6) Auto-dimming mirrors. They work very well and make night time driving much easier.

7) Navigation. Not necessary, but a nice to have if you like to go exploring new roads.

8) Built in phone. If you need to do busisness from your car, a very handy option.

9)Sports exaust. If you are into the Porsche sound, highly desirable.

There are other options, but this is where I would stop.

Quote:
    JL13 said:

LOl, i guess i am just trying to buy the car the smartest way i can.

I agree! I understand. I'm glad you LOL, too. All this way-cool car stuff is, and should be fun (sense of humor) to hammer out.

Quote:
    JL13 said:
    WHat options put in the car will make the car even more desirable?

Other than LOW MILEAGE on any car:

I betcha the more HP and the colors are the greatest features attractive to resale market.

Colors: Red (called "resale red") Silver (everybody likes silver)

Interior: Black (Odd or light colored interiors start to look tired (and dated) and black looks least bad over time).

again, just guesses on my part.

Quote:
    JL13 said:
    Well, i guess I should specify my question a little bit more. WHat options put in the car will make the car even more desirable?

There you go man!! The way I chose my options was to simply go with what made the car MY 997.

My favorite option would be the center console and seat belts matching the body color. This maybe insignificant to others but it makes it my 997...

IMO... get what makes you feel good, that's why we buy these expensive toys anyway.

definately get the sports exhaust, for some or other reason upon ordering the car that had not crossed my mind, now i have to wait and get it retrofitted

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    definately get the sports exhaust, for some or other reason upon ordering the car that had not crossed my mind, now i have to wait and get it retrofitted

Mike S... Did you order from your dealer? and how long is the wait? please inform because after reading everything the board has said about the PSE i very very jazzed about getting it.

Quote:
    JL13 said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

just my opinion.

LOl, i guess i am just trying to buy the car the smartest way i can. I have 4 cars in my garage, and i change car every 4 years. I know that i should not be worrying about that but if you know that you would lose money on something, i think my business instinct is to not let that go.

There's nothing wrong with your question. For anyone that trades cars frequently it is a very legit concern. As a matter of fact it would be stupid to buy a car that you may not hold on to without thinking about which options are the most desirable. I haven't held onto a sports car for more than 1 year for the past 5 that I have owned so I am very conscience of my option/color selection. Not everyone understands this and those are the people that usually get burnt.

Hi newbie here.

I just ordered an "S" and the only must have option for me was the 19" Carrera Classic wheels.
    I also ordered the following options because I like them but they were not must haves:
    Regular sports seats
    Chrono Sport package ( dealer talked me into that one)
    short shift kit
    floor mats
    Porsche Crests on hearests

Why do most people go crazy on the options? If it were available I would have ordered the -20 sport suspension but it isn't...

Any one have any idea on how much the option for the 20mm suspension? Is it possible to fit it in later ?

Quote:
    tooner said:
    Quote:
    Mike S said:

Mike S... Did you order from your dealer? and how long is the wait? please inform because after reading everything the board has said about the PSE i very very jazzed about getting it.

I jumped in quite early, i ordered from the dealer but then pSE didn't cross my mind for some or other reason. But i waited around 3-4 months for my car which isn't really that long, like i said i was there early i will still put on PSE, i just don't like stock exhausts when you get get a sports one from the manufacturer! none of my bikes have a stock exhaust either, so i guess it rubbed off from that

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    tooner said:
    Quote:
    Mike S said:

I jumped in quite early, i ordered from the dealer but then pSE didn't cross my mind for some or other reason. But i waited around 3-4 months for my car which isn't really that long, like i said i was there early i will still put on PSE, i just don't like stock exhausts when you get get a sports one from the manufacturer! none of my bikes have a stock exhaust either, so i guess it rubbed off from that

cool... yup I just got done placing my order from Carlsen Porsche and Ironically the parts guy was Mike and he said two weeks to get it in and 4 hours to install... i dont mind the wait but I am eager as heck!!!

Quote:
    tooner said:
    cool... yup I just got done placing my order from Carlsen Porsche and Ironically the parts guy was Mike and he said two weeks to get it in and 4 hours to install... i dont mind the wait but I am eager as heck!!!

Only two weeks to get PSE? That's a lot quicker than I thought. I'm going to go ahead and order that and the short shifter.

In Germany no chance to get the PSE earlier than in August -
    and August delivery still uncertain!!

you're lucky tooner! the porsche people here don't even know when the sports exhaust is coming?!?!?

Quote:
    Fred 993C4S said:
    Hi newbie here.

I just ordered an "S" and the only must have option for me was the 19" Carrera Classic wheels.
    I also ordered the following options because I like them but they were not must haves:
    Regular sports seats
    Chrono Sport package ( dealer talked me into that one)
    short shift kit
    floor mats
    Porsche Crests on hearests

Why do most people go crazy on the options? If it were available I would have ordered the -20 sport suspension but it isn't...

Fred,
    WELCOME to the forum.
    IMO ordering the S was the most important option. (Not really an "option" but you get my drift.
    The Classics are really nice.

I REALLY LOVE the way the seats look as "sport seats". I ordered the Adaptive Sport Seats but IMO the most important thing is to get what the sport seat offers in fit and finish. The "Regular sports seats" do that.

"Chrono Sport package ( dealer talked me into that one)"
    GOOD MAN.

"Porsche Crests on hearests"
    Me too. I love the way this inexpensive option looks. 95% of the people wont know it's there. I don't care. I think it really adds to the richness of the interior and when combined on the sport seat------ You Look MARVELOUS"!

"Why do most people go crazy on the options? If it were available I would have ordered the -20 sport suspension but it isn't... "
    Options make your car yours and different from the rest. PORSCHE is THE master Option drug dealer.

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    you're lucky tooner! the porsche people here don't even know when the sports exhaust is coming?!?!?

would it be possible for me to order here and then ship to you? has anyone done that before? hhhmmmmmmm

I suppose, but it would get too complicated I think, best stick to the dealer, at least I will keep good relations with them thanks anyways, man! be sure to post pics of your PSE when they're on!

IMHO (in descending order)

1. Carerra S
    2. Sport Chrono
    3. Short shifter
    4. Adaptive sport seats
    5. Full leather
    6. GSM phone module (for me I'm on the phone with hospitals, nurses, etc all the time)
    7. Navigation
    8. BOSE
    9. CD changer
    10. GT silver or Cobalt Blue

Quote:
    alin2 said:

1. Carerra S
    2. Sport Chrono
    3. Short shifter
    4. Adaptive sport seats
    5. Full leather
    6. GSM phone module (for me I'm on the phone with hospitals, nurses, etc all the time)
    7. Navigation
    8. BOSE
    9. CD changer

GT Silver... the say is abundant here in CALI but it's too smooth to resist...

Quote:
    tooner said:
    Quote:
    alin2 said:

1. Carerra S
    2. Sport Chrono
    3. Short shifter
    4. Adaptive sport seats
    5. Full leather
    7. Navigation
    8. BOSE
    9. CD changer

GT Silver... the say is abundant here in CALI but it's too smooth to resist...

tooner,
    Nice list of options! Beautiful car!!
    What are your impressions of GT Silver vs Arctic Silver?(with grey top and int.)

I'm leaning towards Arctic- I haven't seen GT in person.

Thank you!

Should of said, Nice list of options alin2!

The options I got on my OWN car, obviously, are the smartest and most savvy, from any and all standpoints!! All kidding aside, options like the short-throw shifter that are EASY to upgrade to any day of the week, are not good "investments" unless YOU want it. Think about it, if your car is on the market, and somebody wants to buy it, they won't care if it doesn't have the shifter or the colored caps, because they are easy as pie to add themselves. Worry about options that are "now-or-never" when you're ordering the vehicle. Even the CD changer and Navigation can be added by the dealer. I would definately think:

1. Carrera S
    2. Sport Chrono
    3. All leather
    4. Bose audio
    5. Adaptive Sports

Those are, in reality, the basic "must-haves" that any prospective buyer will be looking for. Options above and beyond that they can typically live without, or can easily add at a cost that is not disproportionately higher than the original option cost. Also, sometimes a UNIQUE BUT ATTRACTIVE color combo can work heavily in your favor. Four years from now, silver/black Carrera S's will be littering the market like crazy, so buyers who are looking for that color combo will be cross-shopping you to death, seeking the lowest deal. If you've got a really unique combo that is really sharp, yes your potential buying pool will be smaller, but they'll be more motivated to step-up-to-bat and pay your price, because they'll be worried that they may not find another car any too soon, if ever, that has that unique combo that entices them. Trust me on that, I collect cars! When you've got a rare or unique combo, that is also dynamite looking, it's a big hook in the mouth that will land you the biggest fish. I got black with Terracotta, in the interest of not having a cookie-cutter 911. Hey, I understand your concern. Depreciation is a bitch. But how you care for the car while you own it is FAR FAR FAR more critical than the options you order.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690483 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409755 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256003 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235275 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65649 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858414 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774688 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM