Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Cayman Pictures and Data Online!

thats one AGRESSIVE looking car... B E A U T F U L

Re: At Last! Triumph replace the GT6 Mk3

The similarity is remarkable - well spotted!

I am not a fan of the Boxster but I do like the Cayman very much. It actually looks better in person than the pictures I have seen so far. You do need to see it in the flesh before you decide.

Now the 987 Boxster S really starts to grow on me.
    A coupe for more money and only 15 hp more power
    Is Porsche going to get away with this
    Will the Porsche buyer that stupid??????????

Quote:
    vtrader said:
    I am not a fan of the Boxster but I do like the Cayman very much. It actually looks better in person than the pictures I have seen so far. You do need to see it in the flesh before you decide.

Where did you see it?

.....it looks good and it's faster, lighter, stiffer and more aerodynamic than a Boxster S, what more do you want??

although the rear's not too bad, i'm totally disappointed as a whole. if some aftermarket tuner like gemballa would have conceived a coupé version of the boxster, it wouldn't look much different.

the fog lights just look ridiculous.

carlos' version was much nicer.

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    although the rear's not too bad, i'm totally disappointed as a whole. if some aftermarket tuner like gemballa would have conceived a coupé version of the boxster, it wouldn't look much different.

the fog lights just look ridiculous.

The styling is not that bad when you consider the car had to have a strong family resemblence to its predecessor, the Triumph GT6 Mk 3.

I totally love the Cayman. I read every post (and pfewww were there many) and i have to say most of the dissappointed crowd in here seems to be die hard porsche fanatics.

In my opinion, Porsche is trying a lil something new here to attract a different dempgraphic of potential buyers. I think it will be very popular among rich, spoied US kids and of course women who like a lil rough.

About the whole price debakel i can see everyones concern but i am sure that it isn't all final, since they want this car to sell and ultimately will listen to you die hard porsche fans. I also think it will be a lil cheaper in the Us market, because that is just how it is most of the time.

I also think that they should have at least made it an even 300 hp or more of course.

Finally, As you guys had discussed in other threads I just believe the Cayman is some sort of marketing/design test regrading future Porsche cars.

I LOVE IT!!!

Thanks for the pics RC and wish you all some happy posting..

Quote:
    zzboba said:

Carlos,

Now you have the real picture in hand see what you can come up with , can't wait to see your creation.

Hhhmm - looks kind of unbalanced overall to me. From some angles good, then again not... overall you don't get the impression of anice integrated whole. As if different designers had worked on different parts.

Agree with most that the foglights are just a bad joke.

Then again, it does radiate some kind of strange atttraction (or is that just teh similarity to the 997?)

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Quote:
    zzboba said:

Carlos,

Now you have the real picture in hand see what you can come up with , can't wait to see your creation.

Good idea, just for fun, I can give it a try ... problem is I just can't find much free time lately

I don't think everyone should jump on the performance specs until we get some tangible information (more than just hp and 0-100kmph). Performance is not about these two figures, and that's why we buy Porsche's and not drag cars. What we can talk about are the basic structures of the aesthetics, because we have some pictures. I'll reserve serious judgement until I see it in person, but from what I see, it looks alright, but it clearly helps boost the 997 as a superior option (salesman: cmon, you want the cayman or the 911? Shell out an extra 30g's...).

The basic aesthetics aren't overwhelming. It doesn't have the supreme grace of a 997, but remember, people were hyper-critical of the Boxster's aesthetics when it came out.

I think this move, overall, is another stab by Porsche to increase profit margins. Using the brandname "Porsche" and developing mid-range priced cars creates an alternative for name-driven buyers to splurge (what other cars in the 50s have the noteriety of the Porsche name?). I'm a little bit worried about this trend, and I wouldn't be shocked if the introduction of cars like the Cayman will eventually lead to the increase in price of the 99x series (into the +100k region).

Final verdict: If the performance figures are sub-par (or comperable to the Boxster), then this car will not really be worth buying, and an overall dent into the aura and mystique of Porsche.

Quote:
    amir sarmad said:
    my heart says cayman
    my brain says bxster s
    im stuck , i knew it.

Have you asked your balls?

Cayman Pictures and Data Online!

beautifull car!!!
    i love the rear, that spoiler is a good touch, it alsow has some extra curve on top of the rear wheels, that makes it uniek.
    but what power is concerned, i don't see the real reason for this car, the difference with the boxster S is not so big, the design looks more up to date but i think it will have to pull it's weight to live up to the boxster S.

Still love it!!!!!!!

I think Porsche is planning to gradually phase out the rear-engined 911 and replace it with the mid-engined designs.

Perhaps this is technically imperative to shift the engine to the middle in order to keep up with the technological development without being shackled by the fundamentally less optimal engine lay out.

Mid-engined was introduced from the bottom end, i.e. the Boxter and the top end, i.e. Carerra GT. It is creeping up from the bottom and some day all Porsche sports cars will be mid-engined.

Clever, calculated approach.

I don't think Porsche product marketing is as bad as some have made it out to be. Why doesn't it make sense to have the entry-level range available as both an open (Boxster) and a closed car (Cayman)? Especially if it has the hatch that RC has called for so much?

So you get three product lines (4 if you include the CGT): mid-engined (open and closed) entry car, rear-engined (open and closed) fully bred sports car and front-engined SUV (almost-open and closed).

And who knows, maybe we get the same in a four-door sedan as well some day?

My favorite would be a 911 that runs on LPG (like the Rinspeed Bedouin does). That way you wouldn't have to pay Congestion charge in London (though it beats me why) and you could save the environment. Though you couldn't take the "chunnel"...

Quote:
    I think Porsche is planning to gradually phase out the rear-engined 911 and replace it with the mid-engined designs.

Perhaps this is technically imperative to shift the engine to the middle in order to keep up with the technological development without being shackled by the fundamentally less optimal engine lay out.

Mid-engined was introduced from the bottom end, i.e. the Boxter and the top end, i.e. Carerra GT. It is creeping up from the bottom and some day all Porsche sports cars will be mid-engined.

Clever, calculated approach.

Ok, and what about the rear seats of the current rear-engined 911 models?

Quote:
    MKW said:
    I've got it ... I figured out what the Cayman's roof ,in side profile , reminded me of ... Dr. Phil's thick-skulled bulbous bald head !!

Love the cartoon MKW, well done !!

Quote:
    TurboSport said:

Hello?

If at all I fear for a front-V8-planning...

Pix don't seem to flatter this car. Too bad. Maybe it'll look better in a darker color. Hopefully it will deliver the performance goods...

Quote:
    elsie said:

Love the cartoon MKW, well done !!

Ahem! It's actually my creation. Nobody plays with Dr. Phil Piddy Dic Poddy Doccy Toc Piddy...except the Doc himself!
    Maybe I should start copyrighting my strokes of genius? ...

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    Ahem! It's actually my creation. Nobody plays with Dr. Phil Piddy Dic Poddy Doccy Toc Piddy...except the Doc himself!
    Maybe I should start copyrighting my strokes of genius? ...

Careful with the copyrighting or the real Dr. Phil will have you "peeing with the possums on the prison porch" , or some similar " folksy " nonsensical giberish he's known for spouting .

LOL...LOL...LOL...!!!
    After Elsie said that it was a nice creation of MKW, I was thinking : "How long will it take Dr.Phil to react" !!
    I was scrolling down, and there it was, had a Good Laugh, HE is UNPAYABLE, REALLY !!
    THANKS DOC !!!!!

But doc piddy fok dizzy is right... the cayman looks stunning, except from the side... too bad!
    -Joost-

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    Quote:
    amir sarmad said:
    my heart says cayman
    my brain says bxster s
    im stuck , i knew it.

Have you asked your balls?

Yeh, sure he did! But they can't afford a GT3 or GT2.

PS; it is funny; in the official press pic of the side vieww, they tilted the car a little bit, so the roofline does not look so bad... if you tilt the car back into horizontal position, it looks awful!
    -Joost-

PPS:
    And the rear spoiler is too small, or in the wrong place... way too low... If I had bought a Cyman, I would try to change the rear hatch to re-place the spoiler, or to largen it...
    -Joost-

Quote:
    Joost said:
    PPS:
    And the rear spoiler is too small, or in the wrong place... way too low... If I had bought a Cyman, I would try to change the rear hatch to re-place the spoiler, or to largen it...
    -Joost-

Like this? More "GT3RS-like" perhaps?

I like the design, but I guess the perfomance ain't that good. I would probably love that car with low weight and 300 hp. :P Gimme a Cayman RS plz!!

Economically speaking if no idea why they should release this car. Its somehow just a boxster coupe

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776005 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441055 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262407 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260595 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84977 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5450 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880090 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815093 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM